Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2013   #641
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Hey, if the Steelers had adhered to McNair's unnecessarily restrictive criteria, they wouldn't have hired Cowher (since he had never been a head coach).
Cowher is an anomaly who without 20/20 hindsight wouldn't be an obvious choice.

Job wanted - 35 year old with 7 years of coaching experience 3 as DC wants job as HC.
Old 12-21-2013   #642
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I really want a coach that learns from his mistakes. Even better if he can learn from the mistakes of others.
Old 12-22-2013   #643
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33796 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

In a perfect world, I'd love to have Lovie Smith as head coach with Jason Garrett as offensive coordinator and Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator. The last two names would have to be fired but it's possible.
Old 12-22-2013   #644
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
In a perfect world, I'd love to have Lovie Smith as head coach with Jason Garrett as offensive coordinator and Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator. The last two names would have to be fired but it's possible.
That would be an intriguing combination- I wouldn't mind seeing that either.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #645
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Cowher is an anomaly who without 20/20 hindsight wouldn't be an obvious choice....
So I guess Tomlin was an anomaly, too, since he was a coordinator for one whole season (and was never a head coach).

Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy and John Harbaugh are three more anomalies.

Seems more like teams sharp enough to spot young coaching talent.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #646
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No thanks x3
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #647
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
No thanks x3
100% agree. I don't want Schwartz anywhere near the Texans.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #648
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

After hearing the Texans had a 7 hour interview with Lovie Smith, I started thinking about the possibility on defense... It's interesting to consider how the Texans' defensive personnel would fit into Lovie's system.

Cushing would be ideal as the Mike LB. Cushing has the range, instincts, and playmaking ability in the pass game to play all three downs and cause problems for the offense... Cushing roaming the middle of the field every play is a good situation for the Texans.

Watt is interesting... Where would he play primarily? RDE, LDE, or 3 technique DT? He'd play all 3 but his best fit, for the health of the defense, is DT... If the Texans get a big NT... Watt inside with a guy like that would cause constant pocket problems for the QB, shutdown the interior run, and give nice, sharp edges to the DEs.

KJ and JJo would both excel in cover 2 principles- giving them many opportunities to make plays on the ball- also, highlighting KJ's physicality in run support.

D. Manning was drafted and played for Lovie... Lovie's hire would likely mean that Manning would stick around for his last contract year. Swearinger certainly has the skills and play-making instincts to do what Lovie asks of SS. He can blitz, run support, and has the speed and ball-hawking ability to play the umbrella coverage.

Earl Mitchell could be brought back as DT (3technique)... somewhat dependent on their plans for Watt.

Mercilus would fit very well as the strong side DE (or pretty well at RDE also)... Mercilus would look great in this defense, I think!

Brooks Reed-- likely cut. Texans could cut him for $1.5 million savings without any dead money. I don't think he fits well at either DE... His only possible spot would be Strong LB, and I think that is a stretch.

Jamison and Crick are both decent fits as depth, mainly because they can be used in multiple spots.

So, from my view, the Texans could transition well, and quickly, into Lovie's defense... Needs I see:

1. space-eating NT
2. speed rusher DE (either to start or two rotate in when Watt moves to DT)
3. WLB- (Sharpton and Mays are FAs) Lovie knows this position and can draft it and also fill it effectively with a veteran
4. SLB- (see above)

** I'm not sure whether Buoye or Harris could be the nickel CB... nor can I speak to Pleasant as the 3rd safety... but, given the cap room and the draft picks the Texans will have, a coach like Lovie can adequately fill these holes without much difficulty.

Most encouraging is that the core talent on the Texans' defense fit very well into what Lovie would do: Cushing, Watt, Mercilus, KJ, JJo, Swearinger... which is good, because the real issue with Lovie (magnified by the Texans situation at QB) is what will he put together on offense.
Old 12-22-2013   #649
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
After hearing the Texans had a 7 hour interview with Lovie Smith, I started thinking about the possibility on defense... It's interesting to consider how the Texans' defensive personnel would fit into Lovie's system.

Cushing would be ideal as the Mike LB. Cushing has the range, instincts, and playmaking ability in the pass game to play all three downs and cause problems for the offense... Cushing roaming the middle of the field every play is a good situation for the Texans.

Watt is interesting... Where would he play primarily? RDE, LDE, or 3 technique DT? He'd play all 3 but his best fit, for the health of the defense, is DT... If the Texans get a big NT... Watt inside with a guy like that would cause constant pocket problems for the QB, shutdown the interior run, and give nice, sharp edges to the DEs.

KJ and JJo would both excel in cover 2 principles- giving them many opportunities to make plays on the ball- also, highlighting KJ's physicality in run support.

D. Manning was drafted and played for Lovie... Lovie's hire would likely mean that Manning would stick around for his last contract year. Swearinger certainly has the skills and play-making instincts to do what Lovie asks of SS. He can blitz, run support, and has the speed and ball-hawking ability to play the umbrella coverage.

Earl Mitchell could be brought back as DT (3technique)... somewhat dependent on their plans for Watt.

Mercilus would fit very well as the strong side DE (or pretty well at RDE also)... Mercilus would look great in this defense, I think!

Brooks Reed-- likely cut. Texans could cut him for $1.5 million savings without any dead money. I don't think he fits well at either DE... His only possible spot would be Strong LB, and I think that is a stretch.

Jamison and Crick are both decent fits as depth, mainly because they can be used in multiple spots.

So, from my view, the Texans could transition well, and quickly, into Lovie's defense... Needs I see:

1. space-eating NT
2. speed rusher DE (either to start or two rotate in when Watt moves to DT)
3. WLB- (Sharpton and Mays are FAs) Lovie knows this position and can draft it and also fill it effectively with a veteran
4. SLB- (see above)

** I'm not sure whether Buoye or Harris could be the nickel CB... nor can I speak to Pleasant as the 3rd safety... but, given the cap room and the draft picks the Texans will have, a coach like Lovie can adequately fill these holes without much difficulty.

Most encouraging is that the core talent on the Texans' defense fit very well into what Lovie would do: Cushing, Watt, Mercilus, KJ, JJo, Swearinger... which is good, because the real issue with Lovie (magnified by the Texans situation at QB) is what will he put together on offense.
Cushing actually probably fits Lovie's Tampa 2 better as the SLB, depending on his mobility after he returns from injury. Watt would be the 3 tech. Mitchell would actually be the ideal type of NT. That defense doesn't use a big space eating type in the middle.

I think we would be looking at:

SDE - Reed, Jamison
DT - Watt, Crick
NT - Mitchell
WDE - Mercilus
SLB - Cushing
MLB - N/A
WLB - N/A
CB - Joseph
CB - Jackson
FS - Manning
SS - Swearinger

A lot of holes there. But that will be the story regardless of who the next coaching staff is.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #650
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Cushing actually probably fits Lovie's Tampa 2 better as the SLB, depending on his mobility after he returns from injury. Watt would be the 3 tech. Mitchell would actually be the ideal type of NT. That defense doesn't use a big space eating type in the middle.

I think we would be looking at:

SDE - Reed, Jamison
DT - Watt, Crick
NT - Mitchell
WDE - Mercilus
SLB - Cushing
MLB - N/A
WLB - N/A
CB - Joseph
CB - Jackson
FS - Manning
SS - Swearinger

A lot of holes there. But that will be the story regardless of who the next coaching staff is.
I disagree. I think Cushing would be an excellent SLB... however, he fits in all 3 positions... and, his combination of versatility, playmaking, and instincts would make him most valuable at the Mike.

I agree with you about Watt, but I'm not sure about the player-organizational dynamics... would the team "do that" to Watt?

I'm pretty sure Lovie likes "0 technique" NTs... Am I wrong about that?
Old 12-22-2013   #651
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I disagree. I think Cushing would be an excellent SLB... however, he fits in all 3 positions... and, his combination of versatility, playmaking, and instincts would make him most valuable at the Mike.

I agree with you about Watt, but I'm not sure about the player-organizational dynamics... would the team "do that" to Watt?

I'm pretty sure Lovie likes "0 technique" NTs... Am I wrong about that?
Let me rephrase about Cushing. Pre-injury I would say yes he is the perfect Mike in that system. I'm not confident he will be the same player afterward. I would project him to SLB until I see that he is 100% the same player.

If Watt can get his numbers as a 34 end then he would be fine as a 3 tech. He would destroy Guards in a one on one scenario. Plus, he seems like the type of guy who would play wherever coach told him to.

Lovie does run a zero at nose, but he is still only responsible for one gap in the running game. Therefore, sacrificing pass rush ability for a bigger space eating guy is not necessary. Now, if you could find a big space eater who can move then that would be awesome.
Old 12-22-2013   #652
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Deleted, sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 12-22-2013 at 11:14 PM.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #653
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me rephrase about Cushing. Pre-injury I would say yes he is the perfect Mike in that system. I'm not confident he will be the same player afterward. I would project him to SLB until I see that he is 100% the same player.

If Watt can get his numbers as a 34 end then he would be fine as a 3 tech. He would destroy Guards in a one on one scenario. Plus, he seems like the type of guy who would play wherever coach told him to.

Lovie does run a zero at nose, but he is still only responsible for one gap in the running game. Therefore, sacrificing pass rush ability for a bigger space eating guy is not necessary. Now, if you could find a big space eater who can move then that would be awesome.

4. NT Ryan Carrethers 6'2" Ark St 87 Ts, 8 TFL , 4 sacks

http://www.fox16.com/sports/story/Ca...k0e8J3Z0cgzv_w

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...feels_lik.html
Old 12-22-2013   #654
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a different, much less significant knee injury. CnD is not anticipating any performance loss from his latest injury.
Old 12-22-2013   #655
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is a different, much less significant knee injury. CnD is not anticipating any performance loss from his latest injury.
I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps the awful string of luck this year just has me expecting the worst.
Old 12-22-2013   #656
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps the awful string of luck this year just has me expecting the worst.
From all reports, it was a minor knee injury (LCL tear- which is often only a 3-6 week recovery from arthoscopic surgery)... However, there was also a broken fibula... adding to the certainty that he would miss the remainder of the season.

The biggest concern is the potential collateral damage to the knee... Each time an injury in the knee occurs which requires surgery, it is fairly likely that some cartilage damage is associated... some of that cartilage is simply removed. Because cartilage usually does not regenerate (see microfracture surgery), "wear and tear" can eventually result to chronic arthritis, or bone on bone conditions in the knee which would essentially end Cushing's career... No way to know when and if that may happen to him... Perhaps someone can get an MRI or some recent Cushing X-rays for CND to look at?
Old 12-22-2013   #657
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not bad but I would replace Schwartz with Rex Ryan.
Old 12-22-2013   #658
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118834 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Not bad but I would replace Schwartz with Rex Ryan.
No thanks
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #659
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Do we really care about a space eating NT in a pass happy league anymore? Just get me someone who can create interior pressure.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #660
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33796 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Jets fire Rex Ryan would the Texans not at least be interested in interviewing him for the head coaching job? I sure like him a lot more than I do Lovie Smith. The man is a passionate winner who knows how to get the best out of his players. He's had a lot of success in the NFL without having what I would define as a good quarterback.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read