Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2013   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Our Offensive Line Sucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And Newton .... seriously. A traffic cone would prove to be more of an obstacle on some of his lowlights.
He still only gets 2nd worst OT in Texans history. Victor "turnstile" Riley wins that contest.
Old 12-20-2013   #22
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17974 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting also that as awful as Newton has been he is rated above Fisher the top pick last year. I wonder how Fisher grades out vs Matthews this year and if that gives those people who want to go the conservative route with the top pick any hesitation.
Old 12-20-2013   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

More than likely it's talent and coaching combined to produce the disaster that is our O-line this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Duane's injury was mentioned to explain some of his dropoff from being at the top of the league, that (hopefully) this year is an outlier.

Wade's injury does not explain his decline from 2010 when he was rated 3rd/82 to 2011 63rd/78 to 2012 28th/81, so it wasn't mentioned.

Newton's injury certainly too has impacted his production, but wasn't mentioned because it alone can't explain his poor performance overall 65th/80 2012 & 71st/78 ytd.

That can explain some of it, sure: For instance Case Keenum is rated 38th/40 in time to attempt a pass at 2.97 seconds. Peyton is 4th @ 2.34 and Brady is 6th at 2.39 seconds, for reference.

Now there's a lot of reasons why the many "QB time" statistics can be skewed: scrambling, scheme, 3/5/7 step drops, dink & dunk vs. down-field passing, % rollouts, slow/fast reads, etc. So it's difficult to put it all into a number that answers the question.
I would think lower extremity injuries impacting a lineman's ability to slide, drop or move forward would explain a drop in performance. A QB having injury to throwing arm would impact his performance similarly. This is Newton's 2nd full year as a starter. I wish I could find where I compared his first three years to first rounder Brown. DB almost always had a solid LG playing next to him not so RG for Newton.
Old 12-20-2013   #25
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He still only gets 2nd worst OT in Texans history. Victor "turnstile" Riley wins that contest.
Seth Wand has to get Honorable mention at least!!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #26
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Seth Wand has to get Honorable mention at least!!
Alum of Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Mo and a native of Springfield, Mo ! 3rd round Draft pick in what, the 2004 Draft ? Remember him well.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #27
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
It just makes me wonder how the awful QB play and injured RBs have affected the tangible evidence. Eyeball tests are very inconclusive at times.

I agree that even an average RT would create a massive difference, but also solidifies my opinion that you do not waste a top pick on a lineman. Find a guy on the cheap in FA.
I think just the opposite. Build your offense with great lineman and go from there. The old Oilers drafted some great lineman with early picks in the early 80s that solidified their offense for over a decade. You need two or three talented lineman to build around. I think our poor line play this year was the begining of our downfall.
Old 12-20-2013   #28
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
I think just the opposite. Build your offense with great lineman and go from there. The old Oilers drafted some great lineman with early picks in the early 80s that solidified their offense for over a decade. You need two or three talented lineman to build around. I think our poor line play this year was the begining of our downfall.

Thank you! I have no qualms whatsoever in taking an RT with the first pick. Everyone says, "let's get an RT with a 3rd round pick on the cheap".

Yeah, how's that working out for us?

People who don't understand the importance of a good offensive line, is (repeating myself now) in that block of fans who think drafting a lineman with the top pick isn't sexy enough for the their 'entertainment'. They'd rather draft the next "franchise" QB and watch him turn into a turtle.

Screw that. SCREW THAT!!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Thank you! I have no qualms whatsoever in taking an RT with the first pick. Everyone says, "let's get an RT with a 3rd round pick on the cheap".

Yeah, how's that working out for us?
Well since we don't have a 3rd round pick at RT, right now it isn't working at all. When we did have a 3rd round pick at RT it worked pretty darn well with seasons leading the league in passing and one in rushing.

Also, there is a round in between the 1st and 3rd.

Now how many top 10 of the 1st RTs do you see in the league? - 0.
Old 12-20-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I'm no stats geek, maybe someone can try to make sense of this listing. I thought this years line was horrible, so I'm confused.

6th best line?? So then the only thing left to bash is coaching? Strange.
If Arian were playing, like he was just before he got hurt, & Schaub wasn't turning the ball over like he was before he got hurt, & the defense was shutting the other team down like they were a long time ago.... our OL issue wouldn't be so glaring.
Old 12-20-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I agree that even an average RT would create a massive difference, but also solidifies my opinion that you do not waste a top pick on a lineman. Find a guy on the cheap in FA.
No doubt.

Don't forget Arian Foster was an undrafted FA, so we don't need to pick a RB either.

Andy Dalton was a 2nd rounder, so was Kaepernic. Russell Wilson went in the third. Tony Romo was a 5th rounder, & Tom Brady was a 6th..... so we can find a QB later as well.

Navarro Bowman was a 4th rounder (I think), Seann Lee was undrafted. James Harrison was undrafted, so we can find ILBs & outside pass rushers later in the draft.

Owen Daniels was a 4th round pick.

We should just give away our first round pick, we don't need it.
Old 12-20-2013   #32
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17974 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No doubt.

Don't forget Arian Foster was an undrafted FA, so we don't need to pick a RB either.

Andy Dalton was a 2nd rounder, so was Kaepernic. Russell Wilson went in the third. Tony Romo was a 5th rounder, & Tom Brady was a 6th..... so we can find a QB later as well.

Navarro Bowman was a 4th rounder (I think), Seann Lee was undrafted. James Harrison was undrafted, so we can find ILBs & outside pass rushers later in the draft.

Owen Daniels was a 4th round pick.

We should just give away our first round pick, we don't need it.
Heavy flow day? Sip some cranberry juice you should be fine.

What I don't want is Eric Fisher 2.0 and Matthews is severely overrated around these parts.

First picks are for QBs and pass rushers, you know players that can dictate a game.
Old 12-20-2013   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Our Offensive Line Sucks"
This just in via teletype and Morse code........

"The Texans Suck" this year!!

~Origination unknown
Old 12-20-2013   #34
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What I don't want is Eric Fisher 2.0 and Matthews is severely overrated around these parts.

First picks are for QBs and pass rushers, you know players that can dictate a game.
Why not offensive linemen who protect those qbs and stop those pass rushers? If your philosophy on building a team prevents you from taking the most talented player at a position of need, your philosophy is broken. I can agree with your sentiment a bit because i'd start breaking things and setting fires if we drafted a kicker #1 overall for instance. But if a tackle is the best talent you grab him (why can't we plug him in at rt for a couple of seasons before moving him to Lt? ) Is this tackle philosophy of yours exclusive to right tackles , and you'd consider a lt #1overall?

It's awkward to see a Texans fan die hard about not drafting a lineman #1 overall after our teams illustrious early history and the crippling effect it had on Carr.

Why am I reminded of the arguments for not drafting Julius Peppers because we ran a 3-4? If you can't find a place for superior talent your scheme needs to be overhauled. My thoughts here are not in favor of Mathews and against anyone else. It's purely conceptual. If bridge is the best, cool, draft him. If a tackle is clearly the best, draft him.
Old 12-20-2013   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What you want is Teddy gonna be a bust Briidgewater. Regardless of if he would rank 4-5th in the 2015 QB class. Just gotta spend that 1-1 on a QB and live with the consequences for the next decade. You're blinded, in your mind is it Teddy or bust, am I correct?

Teddy, the only Teddy I was familiar with was my Teddy Bear. Of course that was my age 3-6 yrs. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well since we don't have a 3rd round pick at RT, right now it isn't working at all. When we did have a 3rd round pick at RT it worked pretty darn well with seasons leading the league in passing and one in rushing.

Also, there is a round in between the 1st and 3rd.

Now how many top 10 of the 1st RTs do you see in the league? - 0.
Well Rick did take a chance on an injured RT last yr B.Williams.

Good Job Rick.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
...DB almost always had a solid LG playing next to him not so RG for Newton.
Newton has the 10th rated overall RG playing next to him this year, out of 77 Guards. That's not chopped liver.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Well Rick did take a chance on an injured RT last yr B.Williams.

Good Job Rick.
Not the same injury as anything previously reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Newton has the 10th rated overall RG playing next to him this year, out of 77 Guards. That's not chopped liver.
Yup - and one of DB's years Studdard was the LG.
Old 12-21-2013   #39
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup - and one of DB's years Studdard was the LG.
2009 14 starts. Amazing.
Old 12-21-2013   #40
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

I still wonder how good this team would be if we had kept the o line of 2011
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read