Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2013   #61
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: What sets the good organizations apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
FYI. Sean Payton, a coach I really can't stand, had a kicker miss two field goals on Sunday.

On Monday, he fired that kicker.

He also had a tackle miss a couple of important plays on Sunday.

On Monday, he benched that tackler.

If those players were here they'd be given infinite amount of time to play until they improved, regardless of their performance and how much their poor play cost just games.

Just saying.
Wade recently put players in sideline timeout if they had a penalty called on them by the refs during practice. Does that count?

OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
FYI. Sean Payton, a coach I really can't stand, had a kicker miss two field goals on Sunday.

On Monday, he fired that kicker.

He also had a tackle miss a couple of important plays on Sunday.

On Monday, he benched that tackler.

If those players were here they'd be given infinite amount of time to play until they improved, regardless of their performance and how much their poor play cost just games.

Just saying.
& we'll see how it works out for them.

I understand he's the kicker & the kicker "has only one job." But any kicker we would have picked up would have been a guy who missed a few kicks in his career (probably never had a year like fat Randy has).... six in one hand if you ask me.

I don't agree with everything Kubiak has done. I'd have fired a few people here & there. I'd have benched a few people here & there. But there are coaches who've handled things similarly to the way Kubiak did & had good success. Dungy comes to mind. Lovi comes to mind.

I think there are other ways to holding people accountable than firing them. I think it's the head coaches responsibility to make players & coaches better. Not just shuffle them around until you find a good one.

Like it's the QBs job to make everyone around him better. Tom Brady doesn't get the luxury of an Andre Johnson or Arian Foster. Had his receivers been benched for not making catches, or his running backs benched for fumbling, they wouldn't be in the position they are now. They'd still be looking for the right players. Instead, they worked it out & they're better for it.

Belichick is the Brady of QBs. He makes Josh McDaniels better. He made Weis better. Kubiak's not. I had hoped he could be, I feel like he wants to be, but he's not.

Turn the page.
Old 12-18-2013   #63
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I understand he's the kicker & the kicker "has only one job." But any kicker we would have picked up would have been a guy who missed a few kicks in his career (probably never had a year like fat Randy has).... six in one hand if you ask me.

I don't agree with everything Kubiak has done. I'd have fired a few people here & there. I'd have benched a few people here & there. But there are coaches who've handled things similarly to the way Kubiak did & had good success. Dungy comes to mind. Lovi comes to mind.

I think there are other ways to holding people accountable than firing them. I think it's the head coaches responsibility to make players & coaches better. Not just shuffle them around until you find a good one.

Like it's the QBs job to make everyone around him better. Tom Brady doesn't get the luxury of an Andre Johnson or Arian Foster. Had his receivers been benched for not making catches, or his running backs benched for fumbling, they wouldn't be in the position they are now. They'd still be looking for the right players. Instead, they worked it out & they're better for it.

Belichick is the Brady of QBs. He makes Josh McDaniels better. He made Weis better. Kubiak's not. I had hoped he could be, I feel like he wants to be, but he's not.

Turn the page.
Let me re-state something I said earlier in this thread: you don't fire people the very second they start having problems. You work with them, try and develop them, and give them a good amount of leeway to help them fix it. If they still don't improve, THEN you fire them. It's that simple.

Kubiak tried to work with several people for years, but ignored the fact that they were not improving, and costing us games.

That's why he's unemployed.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #64
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me re-state something I said earlier in this thread: you don't fire people the very second they start having problems. You work with them, try and develop them, and give them a good amount of leeway to help them fix it. If they still don't improve, THEN you fire them. It's that simple.

Kubiak tried to work with several people for years, but ignored the fact that they were not improving, and costing us games.

That's why he's unemployed.
Kubiak's arrogance is why he's unempoyed. He couldn't accept that other teams had figured out his scheme, and his player's couldn't pull it off. Other teams knew his tendencies and were quicker to the punch than his team. He couldn't adjust. Not from game to game or from half to half.
Old 12-19-2013   #65
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: What sets the good organizations apart?
They don't have "Houston" in front of their name?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #66
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Two things I am watching right now that reflect Texans mindset that have set them apart, Glover Quin is a Lion and Ed Reed was a Texan. Justin Tucker just kicked his 29th consecutive FG. Tucker was signed as an UDFA the same year Texans used a 5th RD draft pick on Bullock.
Which means that 31 other teams, including the Ravens didn't think a draft pick was warranted. That was just good scouting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tiMrkqaEE
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #67
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

The better teams have a combo of the Five:

-Outstanding Front Office- one that is shrewd enough to sign key FA's, yet let a Vet go "Better to let them go 1 year to early than 1 year too late", avoid signing "names" but rather value, draft for value, not hype...

-To accomplish the above, one has to have an outstanding scouting department: Pro Scouting scouts the veterans and FA's already in the league, College Scouting turns the stones at Div III and under....

-Invisible Owner- one only needs to look at the differences between Owners like Jerruh Jones vs Robert Kraft or Dan Snyder vs Steve Bisciotti....

-Solid Coaching- guys more interested in the win than getting in front of a microphone: solid game management, clock management and allowing the coordinators to do their thing

-Solid Franchise QB- not a fantasy QB ala Romo, Stafford, etc....a solid guy with nerves of steel and cool under pressure.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #68
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Capri Sun and orange slices make a big difference. Going out for ice cream after a win also sets goals for the players to work towards.
Old 12-19-2013   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Great Owner
Great HC
Great QB

^^^^
These

1.An owner comitted to winning above all else.
2.HC/GM Leader of men who wont except anything but the best and is willing to do whatever it takes to win on or off the field. That means giving up his time for the cause.
3. Same as above, and losing makes the QB sick at his stomach the next morning. QB that is at his best at the end of games. Winning time

The Texans have none of these type people at these positions currently in their org.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You can have an owner who's committed to winning but who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and you're going nowhere. That owner has to be able to learn from his mistakes and not be lulled into complacency by any little bit of success he has. The Texans are bad about that last part and I sometimes wonder if McNair is where that tendency originates.
Old 12-19-2013   #71
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Listening to the presser when Bob announced that Case Keenum was his starting QB for the rest of the season, my head sank, and I thought, Good Grief, Bob is Jerah Jones.
BoB is more like Jerrah than many would like to admit.

Winning football certainly isn't the most important thing to either of them.
Old 12-19-2013   #72
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BoB is more like Jerrah than many would like to admit.

Winning football certainly isn't the most important thing to either of them.
Jerry Jones wants to win - bad. Problem is, he doesn't know how to win, and let's his ego get in the way. He thinks he some football genius, when clearly he is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #73
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all 32 owners want to win. It is good for business.

The obvious difference among owners is obvious. Some make consistently smart football decisions and the results speak for themselves.

At least Mr. McNair is learning from one of the best: Texans' McNair earns close look at model of success in Patriots' Kraft

Let's just hope the lessons are absorbed and applied accordingly.
Old 12-19-2013   #74
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think all 32 owners want to win. It is good for business.

The obvious difference among owners is obvious. Some make consistently smart football decisions and the results speak for themselves.

At least Mr. McNair is learning from one of the best: Texans' McNair earns close look at model of success in Patriots' Kraft

Let's just hope the lessons are absorbed and applied accordingly.
I'm hard headed and refuse to subscribe to read. Try backdooring it but it all led back to your link.

Oh well...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #75
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, it's mostly lucky timing: pairing the right head coach with the right QB. You can "what if" any thing to death. What if Peyton Manning had Marty Schottenhiemer as his HC, or anyone even remotely like him? Probably closer to Trent Dilfer than the Manning we all know and "love".

Having the right coach matched with the right QB and a good surrounding cast equals success. In the salary cap era, a very good GM is of utmost importance.

Another "what if". What if Tony Romo played for the Steelers or Patriots, or even our own Texans? He's a very good QB who, under different circumstances,might well have been a great QB. His GM continually hamstrings him while placing more and more responsibility on him.

What if David Carr went to a "real" NFL team when he was drafted? Had all the tools to be great. His brother seems to, also.
Old 12-19-2013   #76
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

what if the Texans drafted Big ben

What if the cowboys drafted JJ WATT

what if Matt schaub stayed in Atlanta
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #77
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Turn the page.
How many SB's did Dungy win with Manning in his prime? Dungy was very overrated. IMHO

Lovie was a good HC and a great man. He never had the luxury of having an above avg QB other than the yr Cutler got hurt in the NFC championship game. With that said, I dont want him as the next Texans HC.
Old 12-20-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
IMO, it's mostly lucky timing:.
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. 2011, Brady played like crap in the AFC Championship game & still won. Had our team been better prepared (had any team been better prepared) we'd have been in the Super Bowl with a good chance to win it. Everything had to go right.... Schaub not getting hurt & that OL paving the way for Arian & JJ continuing his break-out season (it actually started at the tail end of his rookie season)...

Opportunity & preparation. Gots to be able to take advantage of it. Some teams "always" manage to, others "always" fall short.
Old 12-20-2013   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How many SB's did Dungy win with Manning in his prime? Dungy was very overrated. IMHO

Lovie was a good HC and a great man. He never had the luxury of having an above avg QB other than the yr Cutler got hurt in the NFC championship game. With that said, I dont want him as the next Texans HC.
Right now I'd be happy if the Texans had a HC that could win us 1 Super Bowl. Maybe my standards are a little low.... sue me.

Lovie Smith may very well be the next Belichick.... or even Harbaugh. I'm not pulling for him to become the next Texans HC, I don't think he would be the best choice, but I definitely don't think he'd be the worst. I want Bill O'brien. I don't want Wade Smith. Lovie is in the middle somewhere.
Old 12-20-2013   #80
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right now I'd be happy if the Texans had a HC that could win us 1 Super Bowl. Maybe my standards are a little low.... sue me.

Lovie Smith may very well be the next Belichick.... or even Harbaugh. I'm not pulling for him to become the next Texans HC, I don't think he would be the best choice, but I definitely don't think he'd be the worst. I want Bill O'brien. I don't want Wade Smith. Lovie is in the middle somewhere.
I don't Wade Smith either. He can barely play LG these days so I have no confidence in his ability to coach the position, much less an entire team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read