Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-17-2013   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
What's the point of having a RT if he has no one worth protecting?

What's the point in having the first pick if you can't confidently draft an above average (at least) starter at multiple positions?

What's the point in drafting if you aren't willing to take a little risk?

We have been drafting ****ty in the later rounds for years. Most teams find their RT in free agency or later rounds of the draft. There's no reason why the Texans can't do that, or shouldn't try. You rarely see a team spend 2 first round picks on both tackle positions, because it's just too damn much to spend on a position that should be filled for less resources. If you can't find a competent RT in rounds 3-1 though 7 then you need a new GM (which I am in favor of!).

Think of it this way, how much does the average RT cost in the NFL? How much dose the average strong-side pass rusher cost? How much does the average QB cost?

Figure out where to spend picks based on scarcity and costs so you don't over-allocate resources to one position. Picking Matthews, IMO, is overallocating resources to the OT position. It would be a reactionary pick due to the poor play at RT, rather than a calculated pick based on salary-cap football.
You are entitled to your opinion .... and in theory I don't disagree.

But QB being the greatest position of need .... Either there is one you feel is a franchise QB or not. If you feel he is the real deal you draft him.

If not .... then you have the #1 pick in the wrong damn year , tough luck.

I'd prefer to trade down because I don't believe there is a franchise QB in this draft and that none of the other players are worth taking (For this team) at #1 overall. I wouldn't touch Clowney in the first round , Barr is good player ... but over rated.

But .... to move down you have to have someone willing to move up.

If you cant move down and aren't taking Bridgewater .... Matthews is probably the safest pick in this draft. He fills a dire need and can eventually replace your franchise LT when he is cut , traded or retires.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #22
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You are entitled to your opinion .... and in theory I don't disagree.

But QB being the greatest position of need .... Either there is one you feel is a franchise QB or not. If you feel he is the real deal you draft him.

If not .... then you have the #1 pick in the wrong damn year , tough luck.

I'd prefer to trade down because I don't believe there is a franchise QB in this draft and that none of the other players are worth taking (For this team) at #1 overall. I wouldn't touch Clowney in the first round , Barr is good player ... but over rated.

But .... to move down you have to have someone willing to move up.

If you cant move down and aren't taking Bridgewater .... Matthews is probably the safest pick in this draft. He fills a dire need and can eventually replace your franchise LT when he is cut , traded or retires.
I agree with all that, but CJ Mosely awfully tempting if we can get a trade down to about 5
Old 12-17-2013   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont mind taking a RT with the first overall, with today's rookie wage scale of course. if you have a guy that projects to be someone you'll have on the roster for 10+ years, that's worthy of a first overall regardless of position to me - especially when it's a current need. of course the position comes into play if there's a higher ranked position with the same "sure thing" label attached, but i'd rather have the starter than the question mark.
Old 12-17-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's the point of having a RT if he has no one worth protecting?

What's the point in having the first pick if you can't confidently draft an above average (at least) starter at multiple positions?

What's the point in drafting if you aren't willing to take a little risk?

We have been drafting ****ty in the later rounds for years. Most teams find their RT in free agency or later rounds of the draft. There's no reason why the Texans can't do that, or shouldn't try. You rarely see a team spend 2 first round picks on both tackle positions, because it's just too damn much to spend on a position that should be filled for less resources. If you can't find a competent RT in rounds 3-1 though 7 then you need a new GM (which I am in favor of!).

Think of it this way, how much does the average RT cost in the NFL? How much dose the average strong-side pass rusher cost? How much does the average QB cost?

Figure out where to spend picks based on scarcity and costs so you don't over-allocate resources to one position. Picking Matthews, IMO, is overallocating resources to the OT position. It would be a reactionary pick due to the poor play at RT, rather than a calculated pick based on salary-cap football.
Your first sentence is the issue DR as we can get something to protect in second round. Bortles, McCarron and Mettenberger all rated after #38. Other teams may draft RT in FA or later rounds, well we did also with minimal results. Antonio Richardson is the only OT after first round that can start for us and I am very concerned he will go in late first and I don't automatically project him to RT anyway. I do need to add that JuWaan James could start but the further you go less chance he will be there.

I am not concerned about cost as Matthews would be on at least a four year contract for reasonable money as was DB. 4-5 years from now we worry about Brown's last years. Sometimes you draft a good player and cut costs elsewhere. You control your cap by wisely bringing in cheap young draft picks and cheap FA and occasionally UDFA and knowing when to move on from your expensive vets. I am definitely not arguing cap with you but just offering my POV.
Old 12-17-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I agree with all that, but CJ Mosely awfully tempting if we can get a trade down to about 5
Huge fan of Mosley but draft is very deep with similar type ILB. Heck even Blair of Cincinnati is rated 5-6 round and he is pretty dang good.
Old 12-17-2013   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i dont mind taking a RT with the first overall, with today's rookie wage scale of course. if you have a guy that projects to be someone you'll have on the roster for 10+ years, that's worthy of a first overall regardless of position to me - especially when it's a current need. of course the position comes into play if there's a higher ranked position with the same "sure thing" label attached, but i'd rather have the starter than the question mark.
Agreed it would be like drafting a healthy Antone Exum to play safety for 2-3 years to replace Manning and then move him to corner when Joseph goes. If I thought TB was a franchise QB, I'd gladly take him and go RT later, but that is not what I or others think. IMO there are better QB candidates in second round than RTs.
Old 12-17-2013   #27
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not mind taking Matthews, we really have to get another T, but we have to get the QB position taken care of first. If our FO is not sold on Bridgewater I would prefer to trade back a couple of spots and get several extra picks. It is imperative that the Texans obtain a QB, OLB, and OT in the offseason.

One extra thought, I sure hope that we don't pick Jadevon Clowney with the #1 pick. He has 35 total tackles, 10.5 TFL, and 3 sacks. That is completely unacceptable considering his talent level. Just to put that into perspective Anthony Barr has 63 total tackles, 20 TFL, and 10 sacks.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I would not mind taking Matthews, we really have to get another T, but we have to get the QB position taken care of first. If our FO is not sold on Bridgewater I would prefer to trade back a couple of spots and get several extra picks. It is imperative that the Texans obtain a QB, OLB, and OT in the offseason.

One extra thought, I sure hope that we don't pick Jadevon Clowney with the #1 pick. He has 35 total tackles, 10.5 TFL, and 3 sacks. That is completely unacceptable considering his talent level. Just to put that into perspective Anthony Barr has 63 total tackles, 20 TFL, and 10 sacks.
Curious as to why it matters when we take care of QB or any position as long as we take care of it? I am really surprised that we do not have all the BPA fans screaming BPA. Some are but not many.
Old 12-18-2013   #29
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Curious as to why it matters when we take care of QB or any position as long as we take care of it? I am really surprised that we do not have all the BPA fans screaming BPA. Some are but not many.
I'm just saying that we can have the best 2 tackles in the NFL but we won't sniff a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. QB has to be the first, second, and third priority. Just look at Green Bay with and without Aaron Rodgers.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #30
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65087 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

This is going to be (depending a little on Teddy declaring) a possibly wild first round. There will be a lot more top-end trades for QB-hungry teams and the prices will be high. Going to be fascinating to watch it unfold next April.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I'm screaming BPA from the rooftops, you're exactly right. If you are unfortunate enough to get stuck with the 1st overall pick, you'd better damn well take the BPA, no matter what that position happens to be.

Reaching with the first overall pick to fill a certain position is stupid. This team did that in their very first year and look how that ended up. There is not a single QB on the board this year that would not be a reach with the first pick. There are no "franchise" QBs available. Bridgewater would be a reach. Manziel would be a reach. Boyd would be a reach. Derek Carr would be a reach. That being said though, this year's draft is deep in QBs.

Look, I don't know if anyone's been keeping up, but we also happen to have the 1st pick in the 2nd round. Looking at the latest mock projections, it's very likely that Boyd, Carr, Mettenburger, and Hogan will still be available. Manziel might even be there if he can't keep his trap shut. So what is all this hyperventilating about we just have to take a QB with the first overall, when we will have the pick of the litter in the 2nd?

And just where is written in stone somewhere that "franchise" QBs could only be gotten in the top of the first round? Was Tom Brady drafted in the first round? Was Drew Brees drafted in the 1st. What about Colin Kaepernick, or Russell Wilson?

Ideally, they find a partner to trade down with and get extra picks, but I would be shocked if that happened, as I don't think there is any team stupid enough to think that any player is worth trading up to get the 1st overall. So we are going to be stuck with it, the SAFE pick is the SMART pick. Get the RT, it fills a big need, and we get a good QB in the 2nd round.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #32
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24336 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get a pass rusher or QB with our 1-1 pick. Those are the two biggest premium positions in the league, besides LT, which we already have in Duane Brown. We really shouldn't have to spend more than a 3rd on a competent RT given where we will be drafting. Let someone else pick Matthews or whoever at OT in the 1st while we focus on OLB and QB with our first two picks.
This is where trade scenarios come in. A QB centric team who has zeroed in on TB (say Cleveland) who fears that the the top 3 QBs will be off the board by it's 5th pick might be willing to pay dearly to move up to 1 or 2. They have 5,24,37,69,76,101,120,133,165 and 197. While there might be some risk moving back to 5, there would be an outstanding player there and more picks, particularly high ones, increase our chances of filling more gaps with quality prospects.

I'm of the opinion that TB may be the best of this years deep crop of good QBs, but I don't think any have GREAT or ELITE expectations. We have good QBs who can't overcome poor line play and better players on IR. Between IR players returning and four top draft choices, I think we can return to the exciting team we were expecting.

Think about it. Would you rather have TB or Matthews AND Bortles AND a top CB or DE in addition to our 33 pick (S?)?

ps the old trade value book says #1-1=3000; #1-5=1700, #1-24=740, #2-5=530, #3-5=245, #3-12=210,#4-5=96... Two first and a fifth would balance plus a premium to jump QB hungry teams like Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland, or a possible trade with St. Louis by Minnesota or Tennessee.

Last edited by Marshall; 12-18-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #33
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your first sentence is the issue DR as we can get something to protect in second round. Bortles, McCarron and Mettenberger all rated after #38. Other teams may draft RT in FA or later rounds, well we did also with minimal results. Antonio Richardson is the only OT after first round that can start for us and I am very concerned he will go in late first and I don't automatically project him to RT anyway. I do need to add that JuWaan James could start but the further you go less chance he will be there.

I am not concerned about cost as Matthews would be on at least a four year contract for reasonable money as was DB. 4-5 years from now we worry about Brown's last years. Sometimes you draft a good player and cut costs elsewhere. You control your cap by wisely bringing in cheap young draft picks and cheap FA and occasionally UDFA and knowing when to move on from your expensive vets. I am definitely not arguing cap with you but just offering my POV.
Your first sentence is the issue Badboy as you think using a sports website big board in December is a legitimate Guide to making a viable decision on draft strategy. That is something I would expect from Texian.
Old 12-18-2013   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

And I'm sorry for all you trade down guys who think that we have a chance to pull in a haul like the rams got. That was for a rare prospect. As of now there isn't one of those in this draft. You better keep your fingers crossed that one will emerge in the draft evaluation process. However if one does its way more likely he's our pick than us trading down.
Old 12-18-2013   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
And I'm sorry for all you trade down guys who think that we have a chance to pull in a haul like the rams got. That was for a rare prospect. As of now there isn't one of those in this draft. You better keep your fingers crossed that one will emerge in the draft evaluation process. However if one does its way more likely he's our pick than us trading down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

.... then you have the #1 pick in the wrong damn year , tough luck.

Makes me hate the Dolts that much more.

Old 12-18-2013   #36
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get a pass rusher or QB with our 1-1 pick. Those are the two biggest premium positions in the league, besides LT, which we already have in Duane Brown. We really shouldn't have to spend more than a 3rd on a competent RT given where we will be drafting. Let someone else pick Matthews or whoever at OT in the 1st while we focus on OLB and QB with our first two picks.
MSR

Clowney, Barr, or Bridgewater are the only picks to make in that position. Even with the mythical trade down, taking a RT in the first simply makes no sense. Pass rusher and QB are the two most important positions on the team, the Texans have one pass rusher and no QB. Take a RT at the top of the 3rd, problem solved.

The Texans need a starting QB, not a 3rd round project or "Less Talented Mark Sanchez" AJ McCarrin
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I'm just saying that we can have the best 2 tackles in the NFL but we won't sniff a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. QB has to be the first, second, and third priority. Just look at Green Bay with and without Aaron Rodgers.

Yep and there isn't a franchise QB available in this draft. IMHO So do you want to force the QB pick and set this franchise back another decade like Casserly did with Carr?

2015 is when the franchise QB's are coming out. The Texans should be doing everything they can to position themselves to get one at that time. Of course BoB/Rick cant see that far ahead.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #38
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly what I would really like for them to do if they get the number one pick is trade down. There generally is always someone who reaches and with so many teams needing a quarterback they may want the position to get the one they want. As long as our asking price isn't something idiotic a good GM should be able to make this happen. Now if Smith is a good one remains to be seen as I think many of us have some doubts in that area. This will probably be the first draft he has more power in the decision making depending on the coach hire.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I've said on more than one occasion I think Mosley is the best "Football Player" in this draft. Would be happy with most any trade down scenario that landed him and other draft considerations.

Old 12-18-2013   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be OK with

Rd.1 Clowney/Barr
Rd.2 Bortles/Manziel/Mettenberger
Rd.3 Morgan Moses/James/Mewhort

That's value picks.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read