Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-16-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jake Matthews now #1

NFLDraftscout now has Matthews rated #1 and Bridgewater dropped to #4 on new board from today.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/2014/all
Old 12-16-2013   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Darqueze Dennard to #7 top rated CB now.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Earlier in the season , I preferred Matthews .... In general I still do.

But .... Circumstances dictate course of action.

The circumstances here are simple - We don't have a quarterback. If you don't have a franchise QB , you go get one. Teddy , should he declare is probably your best bet to become that franchise QB , at least in this draft.

I don't want one of the scrap heap QB's that will be FA's this offseason , they have all proven they aren't "Franchise Quarterbacks." They are Schaub or worse .... I've had enough of that.

I guess you do have the option of drafting Matthews and letting Case act like an NFL QB for another season then drafting Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota in the 2015 draft .... but I'm not so sure I can stomach another season like this one.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw this a few days ago and wonder why Bridgewater has fallen a little. If the Texans took Matthews #1 overall then Rick Smith should be fired on the spot. #1 overall on a RT is not the best use of your resources. If they don't think Bridgewater is worthy of the #1 pick so be it. Trade down, get extra picks and then take Cyrus Kouandjio or Cameron Erving in the 1st.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Darqueze Dennard to #7 top rated CB now.
Hey! How are you evaluating McCarron now? He has climbed to second round. I think he will have a solid if not spectacular combine. Appreciate your views.
Old 12-16-2013   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I saw this a few days ago and wonder why Bridgewater has fallen a little. If the Texans took Matthews #1 overall then Rick Smith should be fired on the spot. #1 overall on a RT is not the best use of your resources. If they don't think Bridgewater is worthy of the #1 pick so be it. Trade down, get extra picks and then take Cyrus Kouandjio or Cameron Erving in the 1st.
Well , there are a couple ways to look at this .....

Yeah , Matthews would play RT here .... but how many more good years does Duane Brown have ? Will he actually play out that contract thru 2019 ?!? Matthews would be Browns replacement .... already on the roster. You have to think of this as a long term pick , not just the here & now.

If they decide Bridgewater isn't their guy , I'd much prefer to trade down too .... but you have to have a team willing to trade up for you to move down. Maybe you cant find a willing partner ....

Irving is a beast .... but again , is RT the best use of that asset ?! Its not #1 overall but its still likely top 5-8.

A trade down that landed one of Irving , Mosley or Evans .... would make me happy.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Well , there are a couple ways to look at this .....

Yeah , Matthews would play RT here .... but how many more good years does Duane Brown have ? Will he actually play out that contract thru 2019 ?!? Matthews would be Browns replacement .... already on the roster. You have to think of this as a long term pick , not just the here & now.

If they decide Bridgewater isn't their guy , I'd much prefer to trade down too .... but you have to have a team willing to trade up for you to move down. Maybe you cant find a willing partner ....

Irving is a beast .... but again , is RT the best use of that asset ?! Its not #1 overall but its still likely top 5-8.

A trade down that landed one of Irving , Mosley or Evans .... would make me happy.

This!
Old 12-16-2013   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The circumstances here are simple - We don't have a quarterback. If you don't have a franchise QB , you go get one. Teddy , should he declare is probably your best bet to become that franchise QB , at least in this draft.

I don't want one of the scrap heap QB's that will be FA's this offseason , they have all proven they aren't "Franchise Quarterbacks." They are Schaub or worse .... I've had enough of that.

I guess you do have the option of drafting Matthews and letting Case act like an NFL QB for another season then drafting Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota in the 2015 draft .... but I'm not so sure I can stomach another season like this one.
I dont want Matthews at 1-1.

I could live with Jason Campbell next yr if it meant getting one of the top 5 QB's in 2015. After filling in all of the holes in this yrs draft. Long term planning should be the key. Do I think BoB/Rick are capable of this? Nope. Gotta sell those tickets/jerseys etc... Get ready to buy your Bridgewater jersey because that's what BoB does. Regardless of if Bridgewater his best for the long term health of his franchise.

But as another poster said BoB doesn't owe us anything and this is true. Because if it wasn't true Rick Smith would be out of a JOB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

IMHO I don't think Matthews will be the first OT taken in the draft. There are a couple of more athletic OTs that could be in this draft. Matthews last few games were disappointing.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no issue taking Matthews if we'll have have a shot at a Bortles in the 2nd and/or a Mettenberger in the 3rd.

St. Louis would take Matthews or Clowney or Teddy, so they won't be a trade partner.

We won't get to see the most interesting part of this offseason, which will be the trade machinations/offers/scenarios.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I have no issue taking Matthews if we'll have have a shot at a Bortles in the 2nd and/or a Mettenberger in the 3rd.

St. Louis would take Matthews or Clowney or Teddy, so they won't be a trade partner.

We won't get to see the most interesting part of this offseason, which will be the trade machinations/offers/scenarios.
Not likely barring some unforeseen event. Bortles is basically a top 20 lock at this point and Mettenberger won't make it out of the top half of the second round.

This is also the problem with all the trade back scenarios. How do you ensure that you can trade back and still get the guy you want?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Not likely barring some unforeseen event. Bortles is basically a top 20 lock at this point and Mettenberger won't make it out of the top half of the second round.
For the purposes of this discussion I'm using their board, which has Bortles at 38 and Mettenberger at 80.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

This is also the problem with all the trade back scenarios. How do you ensure that you can trade back and still get the guy you want?
Well in our situation as we have so many needs, we select the guy the team we trade with wants and then swap when they pick the guy we want. If the deal falls through we still have very good player 1-1. For me there is so much question with all the QBs, if we hit on one in later rounds, it could be best bet. I am again looking at McCarron who has moved up a round. If you can set aside the "game manager" description he compares favorably with all especially if you figure in wins and competition, playing under the lights. With a refurbished offensive line (which we have to do regardless who takes snaps) and a healthy Foster a "game manager may just be what we need. You can say AJ was nominated for Heisman on body of work not 2013 but you could also say many other QBs were not selected due to their 2013. For me body of work shows consistency.
Old 12-17-2013   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get a pass rusher or QB with our 1-1 pick. Those are the two biggest premium positions in the league, besides LT, which we already have in Duane Brown. We really shouldn't have to spend more than a 3rd on a competent RT given where we will be drafting. Let someone else pick Matthews or whoever at OT in the 1st while we focus on OLB and QB with our first two picks.
Old 12-17-2013   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get a pass rushing QB with our 1-1 pick. Those are the two biggest premium positions in the league, besides LT, which we already have in Duane Brown. We really shouldn't have to spend more than a 3rd on a competent RT given where we will be drafting. Let someone else pick Matthews or whoever at OT in the 1st while we focus on OLB and QB with our first two picks.

This is what we really need .
Old 12-17-2013   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job.
Well, go ahead and fire me then. I really didn't like working for you anyways.

If we get Matthews at 1-1, and Mettenburger at 2-1, I'm good.

EDIT: Given that this year's draft has NOBODY worth the 1st overall pick, and if you don't have any takers in trading down, then you minimize the risk and take the SAFE pick. All the QBs on the board are at risk of being a bust. Given the David Carr fiasco, taking that risk again without addressing the OL is stupid.

Matthews is the less risky pick. Play it safe, and take the risks in the lower rounds.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Anyone advocating a RT in the 1st round should be fired from their pretend-GM job. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get a pass rusher or QB with our 1-1 pick. Those are the two biggest premium positions in the league, besides LT, which we already have in Duane Brown. We really shouldn't have to spend more than a 3rd on a competent RT given where we will be drafting. Let someone else pick Matthews or whoever at OT in the 1st while we focus on OLB and QB with our first two picks.
The first pick has to be a solid starter for several years with probable pro bowl invites. Matthews imo has fewer risks than almost any player including Barr and all QBs. Can we trade down and still get a good tackle, sure but cannot we say the same about most other positions also?

The history of Texans drafting is usually to select a player who can play more than one position. Matthews should be able to play four of five and maybe center, as did his dad who had five years as a pro bowl center. I think Jake is closer to a franchise type player than any of the other projected first rounders. You cannot always look at the dad and see how the son will do but the Matthews have done pretty well going back to Clay Matthews Senior.
Old 12-17-2013   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well, go ahead and fire me then. I really didn't like working for you anyways.

If we get Matthews at 1-1, and Mettenburger at 2-1, I'm good.

EDIT: Given that this year's draft has NOBODY worth the 1st overall pick, and if you don't have any takers in trading down, then you minimize the risk and take the SAFE pick. All the QBs on the board are at risk of being a bust. Given the David Carr fiasco, taking that risk again without addressing the OL is stupid.

Matthews is the less risky pick. Play it safe, and take the risks in the lower rounds.
Give me Clowney at 1-1. But I wouldn't be upset with your scenerio. Cant go wrong with picking Matthews.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The circumstances here are simple - We don't have a quarterback. If you don't have a franchise QB , you go get one. .
"Jane, you ignorant slut!"

This draft is rich with QB's.... Just sayin'....

I mean after all Derek Carr would be available...
Old 12-17-2013   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the point of having a RT if he has no one worth protecting?

What's the point in having the first pick if you can't confidently draft an above average (at least) starter at multiple positions?

What's the point in drafting if you aren't willing to take a little risk?

We have been drafting ****ty in the later rounds for years. Most teams find their RT in free agency or later rounds of the draft. There's no reason why the Texans can't do that, or shouldn't try. You rarely see a team spend 2 first round picks on both tackle positions, because it's just too damn much to spend on a position that should be filled for less resources. If you can't find a competent RT in rounds 3-1 though 7 then you need a new GM (which I am in favor of!).

Think of it this way, how much does the average RT cost in the NFL? How much dose the average strong-side pass rusher cost? How much does the average QB cost?

Figure out where to spend picks based on scarcity and costs so you don't over-allocate resources to one position. Picking Matthews, IMO, is overallocating resources to the OT position. It would be a reactionary pick due to the poor play at RT, rather than a calculated pick based on salary-cap football.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read