Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2013   #21
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.
Our ideal, healthy starting roster is what I'm talking about. If you don't think Andre Johnson , Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Chris Myers, Owen Daniels, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, and Jonathan Joseph is an assload of talent, I'm not sure what to tell you. Not to mention the good players by their side, including guys like Antonio Smith, Ben Tate, Danieal Manning, etc.

But obviously, behind those guys, the depth is terrible. And it's killed us the last few years.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #22
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

For all you folks liking or disliking drafts that you attribute to Rick Smith, you need to consider that Rick Smith is GM today because Bob McNair thought the coaches had to much control over the draft process.....that tells me Smith had little or no say..... just saying
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
For all you folks liking or disliking drafts that you attribute to Rick Smith, you need to consider that Rick Smith is GM today because Bob McNair thought the coaches had to much control over the draft process.....that tells me Smith had little or no say..... just saying
Then he didn't do his job .
Old 12-16-2013   #24
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
It left him plenty of time to concentrate on political machinations though.
Old 12-16-2013   #25
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You and I agree. Bob McNair doesn't. I also think as long as Smith is GM the Texans will wallow in the mire. Smith when hired was the least experienced and least knowledgeable GM in the NFL. His training and schooling is limited to the Shanahan way of doing business. And I expect Lovie Smith to be HC because Lovie has shown he doesn't need to have control of the roster.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I tend to agree somewhat.

To me, the fact that he's still here tells me he was/is merely a puppet to the organization. It appears he and McNair will be handling the draft from here on out. I reckon the new staff will state their recommendations and be sent to the back row come draft time.
Old 12-16-2013   #27
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I tend to agree somewhat.

To me, the fact that he's still here tells me he was/is merely a puppet to the organization. It appears he and McNair will be handling the draft from here on out. I reckon the new staff will state their recommendations and be sent to the back row come draft time.
I don't see how anyone with such an important role in the organization can be absolved of responsibility. This year's crash, coupled with many years of under achievement points to a structural problem with the organization. There are only two choices I can see - Smith was performing as a real GM and has responsibility for the state of the team, or he was a figurehead who wasn't performing as a real GM for years.

Either way, he hasn't earned the right to stay based on performance. I suspect he will be released at some point before the next season starts
Old 12-16-2013   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't see how anyone with such an important role in the organization can be absolved of responsibility. This year's crash, coupled with many years of under achievement points to a structural problem with the organization. There are only two choices I can see - Smith was performing as a real GM and has responsibility for the state of the team, or he was a figurehead who wasn't performing as a real GM for years.

Either way, he hasn't earned the right to stay based on performance. I suspect he will be released at some point before the next season starts
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite pissed he's still here. Going by what I've read and the fact he's still here just tells me he's nothing more than McNair's fluffer. I could be way off base, but dadgum, what other reasoning is there?.
Old 12-16-2013   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the team is talented, probably more so than many here do but I also think that "talent" by itself isn't enough for most players. It's easy to find guys who are tall enough, fast enough, strong, enough, or big enough. It's hard to find guys who have that and who can also self-motivate and/or play consistently. I think we have a lot of guys in NFL "bodies" who don't have NFL minds or NFL mindsets. I don't know that there's much a coach can do about that. You can give them a system that doesn't make them think too much (where have we heard this before) but it will eventually be exposed as will those players.

You probably have some of those guys on every NFL team with very few exceptions but being unable to recognize them for what they are is a problem with a GM.

We've got a team (and quite likely that's on the GM) that can't find those guys and the only way we're going to be long-term successful is to go out and find those guys. The good teams do it every year. Those guys don't last. they don't have HoF careers. They just come in when needed and use their heads and their "high motor" for lack of a better term to overcome their physical limitations. You gotta have those guys on the roster. We have frauds at too many positions not contributors. We have guys all over our roster that often play like people who don't know what they're doing. Look how unprepared the Texans appear much of the time. That means either that they are being coached poorly or they're incapable of doing what they've been taught outside of a predictable practice environment.

Are we to believe that all of our coaches can't teach? We're in a situation where nobody comes here and gets better. When did you last see or hear of a team where nobody ever gets better? Great players come here and stay great. I think Watt is Watt on any team in the league. Same with AJ and even probably Foster. Those guys have NFL-ready minds. They can motivate themselves. There are others but we seem to luck into them past round one. The rest of the picks are kind of a crapshoot.
Old 12-16-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.
I don't have a problem with cap management. "We" made an assumption 4 years ago about the future valuation of the cap & things didn't unfold in our favor. If they had, no telling how good this team could be. Considering the situation he's in, I think he's doing the best he can.

But I do agree with you about FAs, trades, & just "connected" to the NFL. He seems to be the most disconnected GM in the whole league. He has no idea what other players are signing for..... Laron Landry would have been a great acquisition, Dumerville did not break the bank & when we struck out on RT this past offseason, Jacksonville makes a nice trade to acquire one.

& Demeco.... did we even try to talk him into taking less money?

Then the draft picks. I don't have a problem taking a flyer every now & then, but if we're going to try to get half the picks on the practice squad, why don't we try to trade those picks for future picks?

His picks are good to fair. A few special picks in there. He's probably doing just as good as anyone out there. However... I don't think he does a good job at all as far as moving in the draft to get the player he wants. We're either going to sit there & take the highest graded player on our list, or drop down, try to get him later, or take who ever is next on our list.

Now, we did move up in the 2nd to get Brandon Harris & I thought that was a big boy move, but..... the guy seldom sees the field.
Old 12-16-2013   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think the team is talented, probably more so than many here do but I also think that "talent" by itself isn't enough for most players. It's easy to find guys who are tall enough, fast enough, strong, enough, or big enough. It's hard to find guys who have that and who can also self-motivate and/or play consistently. I think we have a lot of guys in NFL "bodies" who don't have NFL minds or NFL mindsets. I don't know that there's much a coach can do about that. You can give them a system that doesn't make them think too much (where have we heard this before) but it will eventually be exposed as will those players.

You probably have some of those guys on every NFL team with very few exceptions but being unable to recognize them for what they are is a problem with a GM.

We've got a team (and quite likely that's on the GM) that can't find those guys and the only way we're going to be long-term successful is to go out and find those guys. The good teams do it every year. Those guys don't last. they don't have HoF careers. They just come in when needed and use their heads and their "high motor" for lack of a better term to overcome their physical limitations. You gotta have those guys on the roster. We have frauds at too many positions not contributors. We have guys all over our roster that often play like people who don't know what they're doing. Look how unprepared the Texans appear much of the time. That means either that they are being coached poorly or they're incapable of doing what they've been taught outside of a predictable practice environment.

Are we to believe that all of our coaches can't teach? We're in a situation where nobody comes here and gets better. When did you last see or hear of a team where nobody ever gets better? Great players come here and stay great. I think Watt is Watt on any team in the league. Same with AJ and even probably Foster. Those guys have NFL-ready minds. They can motivate themselves. There are others but we seem to luck into them past round one. The rest of the picks are kind of a crapshoot.
You need to add 1 great and 2-3 above avg players every yr. This is why I believe you do what you have to do to get 4 picks in the 1st 3 rds every yr. This means trading up most of the time, but sometimes trading down. You then take players with character flaws but talent in rds 5-7. Micheal Dyer/DaRick Rodgers/Burfict etc... Most of these guys will bust, but every 2-3 yrs you will get a 1st rd talent late in the draft. If you miss you really haven't lost anything.

For instance this yr to add 3 impact players you draft 1- at 1-1 then trade back up to late in the 1st to get another impact player. At 4-1 you should be able to get an OD type talent. Then draft troubled/injued but talented players after that.

This increases your odds of getting impact players. You dont draft Lazy/injured players in the 3rd/4th rd. Montgomery/B.Williams.

I've got liitle faith in Rick even considering a draft strategy like his. Let alone carrying out this draft strategy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #32
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55535 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that Rick Smith apparently has a job here in 2014 tells me Boob McNair still doesn't get the word accountability and still is a settler for mediocrity and that he desires yes men. And mediocrity is what he'll get.

Who was the one that said Case would be starting? Wasn't Rick Smith. Shouldn't the GM be making that call at that point in time? He comes off publicly as a hands off owner, but I think that utterance gives us a glimpse of the behind the scenes stuff that is happening and I think he is basically the de facto GM of this team. Rick Smith is nothing but a puppet and the one area that he is in charge of - Cap management - he is a failure.

Nothing personal with Rick Smith who is a by all accounts a good Christian and a good guy, but he needs to go. This team needs an enema, and McNair wants to throw some pepto bismol down the gut and hope that is enough. It isn't.
Old 12-16-2013   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
The fact that Rick Smith apparently has a job here in 2014 tells me Boob McNair still doesn't get the word accountability and still is a settler for mediocrity and that he desires yes men. And mediocrity is what he'll get.

Who was the one that said Case would be starting? Wasn't Rick Smith. Shouldn't the GM be making that call at that point in time? He comes off publicly as a hands off owner, but I think that utterance gives us a glimpse of the behind the scenes stuff that is happening and I think he is basically the de facto GM of this team. Rick Smith is nothing but a puppet and the one area that he is in charge of - Cap management - he is a failure.

Nothing personal with Rick Smith who is a by all accounts a good Christian and a good guy, but he needs to go. This team needs an enema, and McNair wants to throw some pepto bismol down the gut and hope that is enough. It isn't.
GM's around the league do what owners tell them to do. Lets not be too hasty to brand Rick Smith a "puppet" like he's the only one. they're all puppets to some degree. Some owners think they know it all and their puppet does what he's told. Other owners stand back and let their GM do everything but if they want something I seriously doubt that they're in danger of hearing the word "No" from anyone who wants to keep his job.

I think that 8 years ago McNair probably delegated damn near everything to Gary who delegated what he didn't want to deal with to Rick. That's what I think. I don't really know but I bet that the parts of the GM job Gary wanted stayed with Gary and Bob was fine with that because he didn't know much about the football side of things and he knew that he didn't.

Today I see McNair as being like that guy in the Progressive Insurance commercial who's trying to get the dude juggling chainsaws to throw him one. Bob's stepping up and saying "I got this. Throw me one!" except in this case the guy juggling chainsaws is Rick and he's got no real say in things.

We're going to find out what Bob's learned (Please let him have learned something! Please!) and whether Rick's got any ability as a GM now. The guy who was really keeping those chainsaws in the air (to the extent that they were "in the air") is gone.
Old 12-16-2013   #34
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Either we have no talent and Gary did one hell of a job last year or we are a lot more talented than our record this year shows. Which is it?
Old 12-16-2013   #35
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You and I agree. Bob McNair doesn't. I also think as long as Smith is GM the Texans will wallow in the mire. Smith when hired was the least experienced and least knowledgeable GM in the NFL. His training and schooling is limited to the Shanahan way of doing business. And I expect Lovie Smith to be HC because Lovie has shown he doesn't need to have control of the roster.
I think Bob isn't willing to eat that contract . I also think that if you show me an owner not willing to lose money on a mistake , I'll show you an owner who is ok with average .
Old 12-16-2013   #36
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Either we have no talent and Gary did one hell of a job last year or we are a lot more talented than our record this year shows. Which is it?
I think on a scale of 1-10 , the Texans have 6.5 talent that plays as a 2 . That 2 is on par with the QB play .
Old 12-16-2013   #37
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You need to add 1 great and 2-3 above avg players every yr. This is why I believe you do what you have to do to get 4 picks in the 1st 3 rds every yr. This means trading up most of the time, but sometimes trading down. You then take players with character flaws but talent in rds 5-7. Micheal Dyer/DaRick Rodgers/Burfict etc... Most of these guys will bust, but every 2-3 yrs you will get a 1st rd talent late in the draft. If you miss you really haven't lost anything.

For instance this yr to add 3 impact players you draft 1- at 1-1 then trade back up to late in the 1st to get another impact player. At 4-1 you should be able to get an OD type talent. Then draft troubled/injued but talented players after that.

This increases your odds of getting impact players. You dont draft Lazy/injured players in the 3rd/4th rd. Montgomery/B.Williams.

I've got liitle faith in Rick even considering a draft strategy like his. Let alone carrying out this draft strategy.

Sorry you cant get 1 great player and 2-3 above avg players every year. The math simply doesnt work either in cap room, number draft picks, draft success or number of players on a team. How many great and above avg players do you plan on losing every year to reach the "new" figures every year?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
I thought Gary did a heck of a job last year & said so many times. That team was held together by bubble gum & masking tape. We shouldn't have won 12 games. We shouldn't have beat the Bengals in the play-offs. The Patriots & the Packers showed us who we were. The Broncos & Ravens games showed us our potential. Gary kept that team playing somewhere in the middle & won games in spite of it.

That said, I don't have a problem with the Kubiak firing. I started a thread a while back, about our Super Bowl window. How long could Gary continue to sell the same old message? I think that question was answered a lot earlier than I wanted to realize (Dec 2012).

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rick Smith is shown the door after the draft. Similarly to the way Casserly was excised.

My only real beef, is that he promoted Wade Phillips to interim head coach. After watching this defense for the last 13 games, there is no way that should have happened. Respect be damned. If he didn't like it, he could have walked with Gary.

Especially since he made the decision that Case will start the rest of the season. Winning is not a priority. I'd have promoted Dorrell to interim coach (if he likes Keenum so much) & see what he's made of.
Old 12-17-2013   #39
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Given how the drafts are handled, it is hard to disentangle what is coaching, what is GMing.

I do not buy that this is a team that is chalk full of talent. I wouldn't want to be mandated to play a noob UDFA behind a inconsistent line, no healthy TEs/RBs.

Though the pick 6 fest was likely not predictable, the other roster composition/question mark issues were:

*right side of line
*RB health, and future of RB with Tate leaving
*Thin at TE for a team that uses 2 TE a lot, particularly with concerns on offensive line.
*a quarterback that had been in significant decline end of 2012, with no real plan of future replacement.
*hardly any NFL catches for any WRs not named Andre Johnson, and the route errors that come from that.
*no production from d linemen not named JJ Watt and Antonio Smith. Hoping to see something from Earl Mitchell that had never been seen from him.
*linebacker group was so thin, injured, inexperienced, that they tried out Brooks Reed at ILB during camp.
*safety. I don't want to even talk about it because it makes me stabby.
*corner. I don't crush JJo/KJ as much as some because they are asked to play man a ton without the pass rush, safeties that would help. But not their finest year, and all the other corners are a testament that you don't want Smith picking corners. (BTW, Frank Bush was a huge KJ supporter in that draft given his relationship with Saban).
*unproven kicker with no competition.
*little team speed in general, very little for special teams.

In an AFC that is wide open for those teams who didn't quit, Texans had a tough early schedule, had everything break bad, missed their high expectations and gave up the season by going all in on Keenum.

The case for Rick Smith is summed up by Jerome Solomon. The short version implies that McNair knows whose decisions were whose, and that Rick Smith wanted to (mortgage the cap) to get Peyton Manning, and coaches were um no.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...ns-5045386.php

I've talked to NFL folks outside the Texans who knew the relative cap situations of Denver, Titans, Texans, 49ers, and believe that there was no way that the Texans could have realistically been in running for teh Peyton. That Texans being floated as a name was all about negotiation leverage.

But theoretically, the reason why Rick Smith stays is because of deals he didn't do. Because he was so damn ineffectual and non-persuasive at his job, he wants credit for alternative histories that did not happen. And take zero responsibility for stupid stuff like having a team full of needs but getting old, broken, forever rabble rousing Ed Reed as the big off-season acquisition without bringing Wade Phillips as part of the decision making process. (An adult supervision GM woulda gone nah).

But boy howdy, now he seems to be bucking for more power given unnamed "front office" rumors.

Oh goody! So we get to see what Rick Smith looks like when he gets the training wheels kicked off. Nothing. I mean nothing in his background makes you go, "Whew, it is a good thing Rick Smith is handling this draft."

The process is set up for failure. Who wants to work for a "front office" who complains to people in the media as their head coach is recovering from stroking out? Personally, I like the clean house model where you pick the GM, let the GM pick the coach. How is it that the Texans want an experienced HC, but don't impose that same criteria to Rick Smith?
Old 12-17-2013   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rick Smith is shown the door after the draft. Similarly to the way Casserly was excised.
I'd be totally surprised. The McNair presser appeared to be a total vote of confidence. And national media types have been saying complementary things of the talent versus coaching. I don't know what they are looking at, but whatever.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read