Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2013   #41
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Brooks

I remember seeing him at the end of last season. He went in and just dominated his guys. I am more than excited to have him starting for us. I think he will be awesome.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #42
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandon Brooks Again!

I'm really starting to like this guy and I've been hearing nothing but good things about him during the offseason. I hope he has a great year and solidifies the RG spot for a long time. Here's a quote from BB talking about getting help from Brown, Smith, and Myers in a short article on the Texans website:
Quote:
“When I came back after the offseason, I really got together with those guys and asked them, ‘Do you mind taking me in the film room, letting me see what you guys see? What do you do in this situation? Stuff like that,” Brooks said Thursday at Reliant Stadium. “They were more than happy to take me under their wing and go from there.
I wish all of the Texans young players were like this (Yes, I'm talking to you Sam Montgomery!). It's clear Brooks has his head on straight and he should make an outstanding RG for the Texans.

Here's a link to the rest of the article; http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...5-7f0ff6003e73
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
He looks very svelte now. Hopefully he has maintained all of his legendary strength. I'd be willing to put money on it.........strong as a bull.........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He looks very svelte now. Hopefully he has maintained all of his legendary strength. I'd be willing to put money on it.........strong as a bull.........
He still has the biggest cankles I've ever seen.
Old 12-16-2013   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Brandon Brooks is quietly having a good season.

PFF rates Brooks at 10th/77 Guards overall and 2nd/77 in run blocking. His pass blocking rating is where he needs to improve, rated 39th/77. (>25% snaps, before MNF)

Brooks just posted his season best +5.4 overall rating against the Colts.

Nice work in a not so great situation, Brandon.

Last edited by Playoffs; 12-16-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I could at least spell his name correctly
Old 12-16-2013   #47
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brandon Brroks is quietly having a good season.

PFF rates Brooks at 10th/77 Guards overall and 2nd/77 in run blocking. His pass blocking rating is where he needs to improve, rated 39th/77. (>25% snaps, before MNF)

That's awesome, I hope this proves the fact that you don't have to use first round picks to get good offensive linemen to posters who think we need to take a RT at #1 overall.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brandon Brroks is quietly having a good season.
Yes he is. His biggest problem is mental IMO. He is having a hard time coordinating with those around him particularly in pass protection. That is something which good coaching and experience can improve.
Old 12-16-2013   #49
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brandon Brooks is quietly having a good season.

Good stuff, rep your way.

I really liked Brooks coming out. He was a mauler in the run game that just needed to improve his conditioning and get in better shape and more refined in pass pro. I think the early numbers point that out. I still think he has a lot of room for improvement and that's not a bad thing. He has the ability to be a very good starting guard in the league.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #50
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

He's been a very good run blocker. Too bad this is becoming more and more a passing league. I have hope for the guy, though. I'm thinking he and Quessenberry have a better shot than any of being the two starting guards next season.
Old 12-16-2013   #51
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't paid much attention to him recently. I was at the Tenn game though and he was getting destroyed in the passing game. Has he gotten better as the year has gone on?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I haven't paid much attention to him recently. I was at the Tenn game though and he was getting destroyed in the passing game. Has he gotten better as the year has gone on?

Mike
BLT & SEA were his low point, he's trended well since then. Nice last 4 games.

But his pass pro is where he needs to put work in -- just average in that phase.
Old 12-17-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
That's awesome, I hope this proves the fact that you don't have to use first round picks to get good offensive linemen to posters who think we need to take a RT at #1 overall.
If we get the #1 overall pick we've got to use it on someone. The choices right now aren't that great.

Clowney, Matthews, Bridgewater.....

I personally like Matthews. We don't "need" to take him with the #1 overall, but we "need" to improve our offensive line. Matthews does that for us in terms of both starting quality & depth.

Right now, we have no real alternative to a major Duane Brown injury. With Matthews, he could slide over if need be & you can fill his RT spot with Harris, Newton, or Williams.

If Duane Brown doesn't have a major injury we'll dominate on the OL with Quiz (or even Ben Jones, I like Ben Jones) at LG. That dominant OL will help keep the opposing teams QB (in a QB driven league) on the sideline. & our new QB (even Case Keenum) can thrive with a healthy run game (Foster, Dj, or whoever) & a well rested defense.

As "great" as our offenses have been, we suck at situational football. 3rd & 1, we suck. Red Zone, we suck. I think Matthews would help us in those situations regardless who our QB is.
Old 12-17-2013   #54
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, it doesn't prove anything. A guard is developing in Houston. That is in no way related to whether or not the Texans should or should not draft a guy #1 overall who can play both RT and LT, hold down the right side for a few years, switch out with Duane Brown when he slows down or replace him outright.
Old 12-17-2013   #55
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
No, it doesn't prove anything. A guard is developing in Houston. That is in no way related to whether or not the Texans should or should not draft a guy #1 overall who can play both RT and LT, hold down the right side for a few years, switch out with Duane Brown when he slows down or replace him outright.
If you think that offensive line is our most glaring need that can be filled with #1 overall then that's your opinion. Mine is that QB and any position on defense is much more needed than a RT for us to win next year.
Old 12-17-2013   #56
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you think that offensive line is our most glaring need that can be filled with #1 overall then that's your opinion. Mine is that QB and any position on defense is much more needed than a RT for us to win next year.
It's true, they're just opinions and we all have them (no need to complete that). You're as likely to be right as anyone and I think that I am too. I think this collection of QB's is ok and that late in the first round, early in the 2nd we can get one that will be not all that big a drop off from the guy we'd be taking at 1-1. I am not saying that Bridgewater isn't good or that Clowney isn't good. They probably are. I'm just saying that Bridgewater doesn't look like a 1-1 guy to me and Clowney kind of scares me. I think he's the kind of first overall pick that can blow up in your face and the Texans have a history of making bad decisions.

I would rather they err toward the safe side. Matthews is I believe the safest pick at 1-1

But deep down I hope that whoever we take with it (assuming we do pick there) works out. We're all on the same page there.
Old 12-17-2013   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dont want to go OL at 1-1.

If you think this 2-14 crap of a team that has a bunch of quitters on it is going to win next yr, then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

Regardless of who's drafted it will take 2-3 yrs for the new HC to weed out all of the players that need to go, find his QB and get his system fully implemented. That's if and only if BoB/Rick give the new HC the power to do what needs to be done.

If they draft Bridgewater how long do you think it will take him to learn the nuances of the pro game and become a SB winning caliber QB? That's if Bridgewater is as good as you believe he is. Which I dont think he's going to be great. 2-3 yrs? Certainly not next yr.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #58
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

I actually am not sold on Bridgewater myself and would prefer a trade-down and get Barr or Nix and McCarron in the second. I just think there's other tackles in the draft that we could get that would be just as effective as Matthews and would cost less from a draft standpoint. But if we'd have to use #1 overall I'd go QB or Barr, just don't want to use it on a tackle is all.
Old 12-17-2013   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post

Mike
During his development, he has had the unfortunate plight of working next to Newton.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
As bad as the defense is... they're still #5 in the league. I know that doesn't mean a lot, but it does mean something. We've got some talent over there, some players.

& in this league, I don't think you can ever get the kind of defense that justifies 11 first day picks. While we don't have 11 first day picks on defense, we're pretty close.

Still, I'm not saying that we have to take Matthews. I'm saying he would be my choice, but I don't want the Texans to feel like they "have" to take a QB. If they think he's (or any QB for that matter) a better fit for this team then fine.

I still need to be sold on any of them being selected #1 overall, because right now I'm pretty sure that's where we're going to be picking.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read