Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-15-2013   #281
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3761 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I remember when Aikman entered the draft. Rodney Peete won the Heisman, I think, and clearly had a better college year. However, watching Aikman at UCLA, one could see the quick release and remarkable accuracy on all short and intermediate routes... just incredible consistency throwing the ball. He looked like a pro quarterback. I think Bridgewater has a similar argument. I have seen less of him than I did of Aikman. However, he appears to have key NFL tools that translate very well. Also, like Aikman, he seems to have intangibles that translate to the NFL. I don't know that he will be a great NFL QB, but I think only potential injury issues could keep him from being a quality starting QB. His release, accuracy, motion, arm strength, decision-making, etc... all in a pro style offense are very good. Most QB prospects with similar credentials have worked out very well:

Matt Ryan

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Troy Aikman

Andrew Luck

Phillip Rivers

are some examples that come to mind of well-rounded QB prospects whose criticism generally came down to the fact that they didn't have any one phyiscally dominant trait that scouts could flip over.

Three things generally result in big mistakes in the first round regarding QBs:

1. infatuation with one physical attribute- great arm, explosiveness, etc...

2. product of a gimmicky college offense.

3. Lacking the character needed to handle the money, fame, pressure.

Bridgewater appears to be a clutch player and a winner, who does not lack any needed skills and has operated in a pro style offense. Is he a better option than one of the other potential pick (Clowney, Matthews, etc..)? I don't know. Will he be a bust? I seriously doubt it. I just see no evidence to support that.

I couldn't agree more. I also believe he's the pick, because they can't afford to way for a latter round qb and end up in the same position they're in right now.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #282
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Reposting this. If anyone can find more games to add to the list, please post and link them. I'd like to find more of his 2013 games, but I didn't see any on Youtube.

Quote:
2013 season in order of schedule (the ones I could find):

UL vs Ohio 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCXEwGsJUHc

UL vs Eastern Kentucky 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKSvFriM0PI

UL vs Kentucky 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZzmXxB64ec

UL vs FIU highlights 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4sXiTw8zI

UL vs Houston 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKN-F6fk6I

2012 season in order of schedule (the ones I could find):

UL vs Kentucky 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQ_uMplUEY

UL vs UNC 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQ_uMplUEY

UL vs Pitt 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkk0ZTRPDI

UL vs USF 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k922kI7X2qI

UL vs Cincy 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5xvBbLszk

UL vs Temple 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5uXu_TejM

UL vs Syracuse 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxxnyvJzt-4

UL vs UCON 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkqprC7jYI

UL vs Rutgers 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ELPwI9_y5U

UL vs Florida in the Sugar Bowl 2012:
http://youtu.be/VmyPaOy7OTs

Compilation highlight/Heisman video of TB. Worth a watch if you want to know some more about his personal life. Kubiak would definitely say he's a good kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxA8zqa6MEg

Teddy Bridgewater's Story by ESPN (full segment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lizVzzsbFQU

Found this video, it's kinda funny and I'm sure the critics will enjoy it. TB is terrible at sliding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KcWzu7LTI
Old 12-16-2013   #283
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Well you'd think the QB that you think would be the #1 NFL pick would be "popular" enough to be invited. You think?
How many Big East (since it's become inferior) and AAC players have been considered for the Heisman if they didn't have an undefeated season?

BTW, he would have been a front runner for the Heisman if he had the ball last in that game against UCF.

With the game on the line and 7 minutes left he orchestrated a drive that went down the field and scored the go-ahead TD w/ 3:00 mins left. The problem was that he left too much time on the clock for another 1st-2nd round QB in Blake Bortles, who drove down the field to win.

This doesn't even factor in that there are likely 0 prospects on Louisville's roster (except him, a WR that you can say has his success attributed to Teddy B being the QB, a 3/4 RB (same thing) and a FS) that will be playing football on Sundays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Bridgewater appears to be a clutch player and a winner, who does not lack any needed skills and has operated in a pro style offense. Is he a better option than one of the other potential pick (Clowney, Matthews, etc..)? I don't know. Will he be a bust? I seriously doubt it. I just see no evidence to support that.
Great post.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #284
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
How many Big East (since it's become inferior) and AAC players have been considered for the Heisman if they didn't have an undefeated season?

BTW, he would have been a front runner for the Heisman if he had the ball last in that game against UCF.

With the game on the line and 7 minutes left he orchestrated a drive that went down the field and scored the go-ahead TD w/ 3:00 mins left. The problem was that he left too much time on the clock for another 1st-2nd round QB in Blake Bortles, who drove down the field to win.
Not necessarily, it was in his own backyard and they were expected to win easily. Bortles was the best QB on the field that day. Teddy didn't make the Top 10 finalist for the Heisman.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #285
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

This UCF/Louisville thing is getting silly. Both QBs had a field day. Neither defense stopped either of them. Bortles had the ball last and did what he had to do, which was necessary because Bridgewater had just done the same exact thing.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #286
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Not necessarily, it was in his own backyard and they were expected to win easily. Bortles was the best QB on the field that day. Teddy didn't make the Top 10 finalist for the Heisman.
Neither did Blake.
Old 12-16-2013   #287
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

No, the correct-est answer is to blame the QB when his defense allows 30+ points to be scored. See: Tony Romo.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #288
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
No, the correct-est answer is to blame the QB when his defense allows 30+ points to be scored. See: Tony Romo.
Offenses are often just as responsible to the other team scoring as the defense is .... Turnovers , field position and failure to sustain drives.

How many of those issues plagued The Sh!tpies Vs the Packers ??!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #289
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Neither did Blake.
Blake didn't begin the new season as the media darling and the consensus #1 draft pick and the favorite to when the Heisman like Teddy. Blake didn't even appear on the National radar until he went in to Louisville and beat Teddy in Teddy's house.
Old 12-16-2013   #290
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks to the comments on this thread, I am perfectly fine if we take Bridgewater #1. No, he isn't a guarantee, but there are very few players that are. He definitely shows the upside that with the right coaching, he could be special. I like the clutch plays he has made in his career as well.

Teddy to Houston.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #291
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Blake didn't begin the new season as the media darling and the consensus #1 draft pick and the favorite to when the Heisman like Teddy. Blake didn't even appear on the National radar until he went in to Louisville and beat Teddy in Teddy's house.
Winston managed to win the Heisman despite not being on any preseason lists.
Old 12-16-2013   #292
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Teddy didn't do anything to lose the Heisman either. His numbers this year were superior to McCarron's but because his defense gave up 38 pts to UCF he was taken off every ballot the next day. He had to put up huge numbers this year to prove himself 'worthy' of the award because he plays in a smaller conference. He had no room for error when it came to the race.

His "error" was throwing for 341 yards and 2 TD's in "his" loss.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #293
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Heisman has become more of award handed out to the best offensive player on a team with a great record than "the most outstanding player award."

I think Winston is a hell of a talent .... but I have to wonder how many of those votes came as a result of his teams success than on his being the most outstanding player in the country.

Ya ask me Jordan Lynch was probably the "most outstanding" (offensive) football player in the NCAA this year. Dude put up video game numbers with much less talent around him.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #294
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Heisman has become more of award handed out to the best offensive player on a team with a great record than "the most outstanding player award."

I think Winston is a hell of a talent .... but I have to wonder how many of those votes came as a result of his teams success than on his being the most outstanding player in the country.

Ya ask me Jordan Lynch was probably the "most outstanding" (offensive) football player in the NCAA this year. Dude put up video game numbers with much less talent around him.
I wouldn't have minded .
Old 12-16-2013   #295
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I totally agree and have been a critic of the Heisman for a number of years now.

I was only pointing out to Texian that his argument is ridiculous. He believes that Bridgewater is not worth the #1 pick because he was not a Heisman finalist, which is silly just by itself.

But then he does not hold his guy (Bortles) to the same standard. As he was also not a finalist. Texian's excuse is that Bortles was not a frontrunner in the preseason. I am just pointing out that Winston wasn't either and he won the thing.
Old 12-16-2013   #296
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I totally agree and have been a critic of the Heisman for a number of years now.

I was only pointing out to Texian that his argument is ridiculous. He believes that Bridgewater is not worth the #1 pick because he was not a Heisman finalist, which is silly just by itself.

But then he does not hold his guy (Bortles) to the same standard. As he was also not a finalist. Texian's excuse is that Bortles was not a frontrunner in the preseason. I am just pointing out that Winston wasn't either and he won the thing.
The only concern I'll have with teddy is if he has 8.5 inch hands . That's about an inch under average and 2 inches less than Brett Favre .
Old 12-16-2013   #297
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Winston did it by beating some BIG Name and top notch competition in a dominate fashion, going undefeated and his team being #1 in the country. Teddy not so much.
Old 12-16-2013   #298
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The only concern I'll have with teddy is if he has 8.5 inch hands . That's about an inch under average and 2 inches less than Brett Favre .
Where did you get this information? I tried Googling this after you posted it and haven't been able to find anything to confirm this other than the article talking about 'wearing gloves is sometimes a sign of small hands.'

8.5" is pretty small. I started reading an article about how this affects things and it seemed pretty informative from a couple of standpoints:

http://www.eagleseyeblog.com/2010-ar...ly-matter.html

He just turned 21 less than a month ago. Hopefully his mits will grow a little larger.

I also looked to see how many fumbles he's had in his collegiate career to see if it's a large number that can be attributed to small hands, but I can't find this number. Does anyone have a good website or answer to the number of fumbles?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #299
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winston did it by beating some BIG Name and top notch competition in a dominate fashion, going undefeated and his team being #1 in the country. Teddy not so much.
I am a bit surprised you dont like Teddy Texian. You gave a very convincing outlook on RG3 that I thought you would love this kid too especially since Teddy comes from a pro style offense and RG3 came from the spread. For me his story with his mom and cancer hit too close too home and they both won me over. They are two people I would love to be the face of the Texans and our community.
Old 12-16-2013   #300
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Teddy didn't do anything to lose the Heisman either. His numbers this year were superior to McCarron's but because his defense gave up 38 pts to UCF he was taken off every ballot the next day. He had to put up huge numbers this year to prove himself 'worthy' of the award because he plays in a smaller conference. He had no room for error when it came to the race.

His "error" was throwing for 341 yards and 2 TD's in "his" loss.
Johnny Manziel dropped for losing to LSU in Baton Rouge. Teddy's error was losing at home and for struggling against teams like Houston and Memphis. If Teddy was everything that you think he is you would think he would have at least been in Top 10 in Heisman voting. Bill Walsh says, believe what your eyes and ears are telling you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read