Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-09-2013   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fixing the OLine: Draft, FA, In-House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i agree, but i'd take the top tackle in the first and essentially finish the offense by plugging the only real hole (depending on what happens at QB). then you can spend the entire rest of the draft going BPA on defense. it's much easier to do that than to hope to land a starter at a specific position later on ... IMO. of course if we finish 1st drafting a tackle might be overreaching, but in that scenario i'd hope to trade down and follow the path.
Only way I'm taking OL in the first is if I feel they are bpa.

I wouldn't force an OL pick. I think there are other options to solidify that spot.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

All depends what scheme the new coach wants to run. I think a couple guys were going to be replaced even if Kubiak stuck around. Smith and Newton have been horrible this season in the ZBS. I think DB and Brooks could easily make the transition to a power scheme. Quess looked good in camp, but I'm not certain where he'd fit quite yet. Who knows about this B. Williams cat.

Personally, and this should be a different thread, but I'm more worried about the defense (as usual). Will we stay with the 3-4? Or go with the 4-3? I think we've got the personnel for both, but prefer the 3-4. That said, if Zimmer came in here with his 4-3 I'm pretty sure I wouldn't complain.
Old 12-09-2013   #43
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm actually hoping that Tennessee does kick Munchak and his staff to the curb so we can bring Munch and Matthews back here to help build the offensive line. I'd be very surprised if these two men couldn't coach up an OL.
I'm sure Titan fans would trade them both to us for cheap right now. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I would've played Ben Jones at lg from the get go and from what I saw in camp ,Quess should've been the rt. Quessenbury is gonna be a good rt. Great balance and feet,mean streak.
I'd have put Brooks at LG. He & Brown would have been gelling 4 weeks ago. Converting on third & 1 wouldn't have been a problem. Scoring in the Red Zone wouldn't have been a problem.
Old 12-09-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
^^^ This

Scoring points has not been so much the issue (unless we're playing Jax) but haven't been able to stop anyone
Scoring no.... being able to run the ball & eat up the clock, I think that's been our biggest issue. Keep the other team off the field, chew up the clock, let Watt & Smith rest. Then they're better able to force a 3 & out, rinse & repeat.

A dominate running game would have helped Case a whole lot more than it helped Tj.
Old 12-15-2013   #46
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This team needs...

A good kick in the ass. These are supposed to be professional players and coaches. We are getting smoked in every phase of the game, and what do the coaches do ? Nothing they just stand around looking at eachother, how about hold players accountable. What i saw today was the most pathetic performance i have seen from the texans in A LONG TIME.

Wade is not the answer at head coach, case is not the answer at QB. Do we have talent ? Hell yeah we have talent, but they arent inspired. The coaches arent putting players in a position to win. I see a lot of people here saying we need to rebuild. I just dont see it.

We need a coach who can win with what we have, one who players will give 100 percent for. As of now this is a joke, today is the first time i have ever turned the TV off before the game was over. And it was a bad feeling. We are at a crucial point for this franchise. Either Mcnair makes a bold move and gets a young fresh creative mind. Or he goes with a safe pick, wade, smith gruden and we are stuck in prolific NFL hell for the next decade. The choice is urs Mcnair.
Old 12-15-2013   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team needs...

....an enema

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #48
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

...a new start.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #49
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

..to be flushed.
Old 12-15-2013   #50
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

all of the above
Old 12-15-2013   #51
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

OG,TE,WR, OT, DT,DE, OLB,ILB,CB,S,QB, K, and coaches....did i leave anything out.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #52
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

A Heart.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Better Leadership top down

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

...1st overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #55
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
OG,TE,WR, OT, DT,DE, OLB,ILB,CB,S,QB, K, and coaches....did i leave anything out.
RB, new uniforms and a witch doctor
Old 12-15-2013   #56
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What are our options?

If we invest our 1st rounder on a QB, what's it look like in the second?

Any interesting FAs coming up?

Brennan & Quiz.... are they in the mix?
Issue: RT, LG-

Duane Brown, Myers, Brooks are all plus players, IMO... I think Ben Jones is marginal depth (probably better if we move away from the ZBS)

I think Quizz is, at least, a competitor at either LG or RT to start next year. Brennan Williams knee health means that they should not count on him for anything in the off-season.

I would like to see the Texans grab a quality veteran capable of starting but affordable enough to be depth on the line and then spend one pick in the first four rounds addressing the line, at the least.
Old 12-15-2013   #57
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8544 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
...1st overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

As nice as that pick might be in 2015 I don't think I could keep my sanity through another season like they're currently having.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Issue: RT, LG-

Duane Brown, Myers, Brooks are all plus players, IMO... I think Ben Jones is marginal depth (probably better if we move away from the ZBS)
In all honesty, I felt better about the OL yesterday than any other part of the team. I know there were a lot of free blitzers, but I don't know how they're "supposed" to block those. I don't know what the schemes & calls were. They looked like they were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Even the sack given up for a safety by Brown.... he did his job & Case ran into a sack. I know, I know, play to the whistle & all that jazz... but you're standing in the end zone when the ball is snapped. Who in the hell, but Case Keenum, is going to hold on to the ball?

But still. They all seemed to handle their one on one assignments fairly well. Good enough for this league anyway. Some of their calls & blitz identifying just didn't make a lot of sense.
Old 12-16-2013   #59
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They all seemed to handle their one on one assignments fairly well. Good enough for this league anyway. Some of their calls & blitz identifying just didn't make a lot of sense.
That has a lot to do with the QB, whether people want to admit it or not. It's the reason Kubiak pulled Keenum twice before he got the axe.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #60
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

First I would look at getting either Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher, which ever one the Ravens don't keep, and making them the starting RT. Baltimore won't be able to keep both.

then I look at the draft picks from last year, Quessenberry or Williams, and see which one can replace Wade Smith and put the other at guard. Move Brooks, I think he was a center in college, to Center and get rid of Meyers. I want my Oline to average 310-315 lbs, forget the ZBS, its time for smash mouth running game.

THEN I look for my QB of the future...

but that is just me...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read