Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2013   #1
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Fire him. Now.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #2
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #4
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate these all encompassing threads. Why not start an all encompassing Texans thread so that there's only one thread we have to worry about?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.
Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.
Old 12-15-2013   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
His problem has been that he HAD great starting talent and has replaced them with terrible players. I think this team needs an overhaul, get rid of the bad contracts and open up some room for the future.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99154 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.
Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2013   #8
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.
I agree with him being good at drafting in the first round, please see my first post in this thread. However, he really sucks at drafting in every other round, which is where depth and/or surprising stars usually come from.
Old 12-15-2013   #9
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #10
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

They should fire him and clean house now. I hate to think of another awful season next year with a new coach and facing the possibility of GM turnover then...more dysfunction could await.
Old 12-15-2013   #11
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
They should fire him and clean house now. I hate to think of another awful season next year with a new coach and facing the possibility of GM turnover then...more dysfunction could await.

I agree because firing Rick Smith a year or 2 after hiring a new coach could lead to another coaching change if the GM and the coach aren't on the same page.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #12
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I long for the days of the 2006 draft.

1 1(1) Mario Williams DE NC State
2 1(33) DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama
3 1(65) Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh
3 2(66) Eric Winston T Miami (FL)
4 1(98) Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin
6 1(170) Wali Lundy RB Virginia
7 43(251) David Anderson WR Colorado State

Damn!
Old 12-15-2013   #13
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8544 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

Damn!

I had almost forgot how good that draft was. Without a doubt the Texans best draft ever.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

Damn!
In April of '09, rick smith acquired the following rookies from a much less favorable draft position:

Cushing
Barwin
Quin
Casey
McCain (ruined now but a good player at one point)
AFoster
TJamison
Old 12-15-2013   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
In April of '09, rick smith acquired the following rookies from a much less favorable draft position:

Cushing
Barwin
Quin
Casey
McCain (ruined now but a good player at one point)
AFoster
TJamison
Sorry, when was McCain not an utter disaster?

Good draft though.

I for one endorse Rick Smith as GM of the Texans.
Old 12-15-2013   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

rick smith helped build this crappy team he might has well go with this crappy Team

We need a clean Reset

get our cap in good status stockpile some picks and rebuild in 14 and get rdy to make a run in 2015 when the SB is in Houston that's what I would do
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #17
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know much about Smith's direction ideas or general goals for the team. I never hear him comment on these sort of things and I have no idea if he just doesn't quite understand how the cap works or is just one of the lazier gms in the league. jjo is the last descent fa signing and he was only good for 1 season. It just seems like he picks whatever player seems best at whatever position of need. I can't give him full credit for any draft he was part of and good because we all know Kubiak and Wade would get their guy first. We need new blood with a clear direction and plan for the future. Morey is a great example of a transparent gm with a clear direction and goal that the fan base can appreciate and get behind.

This is the freaking Houston Texans. We sell out every game and there's a waiting list a mile long for season tickets. Bob needs to get some brilliant minds with innovative ideas and not recycle the same tired nfl names.

Smith needs to go...this is the most important offseason the Texans will have in the next 5 years and i really hope they have their **** together.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #18
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Sorry, when was McCain not an utter disaster?
McCain was probably the best slot corner in 2011 and a good reason why the defense was so good. Then he broke his foot.

Quote:
Good draft though.

I for one endorse Rick Smith as GM of the Texans.
2010 was a really good draft, too; every person from that draft is either a starter in the NFL or a solid contributor. Between the consistent home runs on first round picks and his pick history, I also endorse Rick Smith.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.
The thing that lows my ind is how Smith has had 8-years to build up depth and there is none on this roster, while Casserly just sucked at the draft outside of 2006.
Old 12-16-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329810 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Someone has forgotten Harrington, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Ernie Sims and then JaMarcus Russell, McFadden, Heyward-Bey and Rolando McClain.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read