Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Realistically, will AJ get a yellow jacket based on his career to date
Yes 102 61.08%
No 65 38.92%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2013   #141
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

AJ will retire a Texan and go to the HOF wearing a Texans uniform.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #142
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
AJ will retire a Texan and go to the HOF wearing a Texans uniform.
100% agree. It will happen. He'll be sporting a Texans #80 jersey. Anything else would be blasphemy.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #143
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

February, 2015: AJ scores 3 TDs and is MVP of the Superbowl, sealing his fate as a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #144
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It is tougher, but as DB said, the HoF won't abandon all WRs. And since AJ came in, he's the only WR to accomplish some of the things he's done, even against other WRs in the same era. AJ has been better than Fitzgerald for the duration of their careers, better than Roddy White, better than Reggie Wayne, better than anyone, really. In any given year, a WR may outperform him, but over the 11 years he's been in, he's been the best.

Calvin Johnson will probably end up being just as good, but no one else has been better than AJ even in this pass happy era.
Sounds very homerish to decisively suggest that AJ has been better then all of these guys. You could make a strong argument for each one being better in some form depending on what stats you use. They are all great receivers. Some have had better advantages in certain seasons and some have had lesser advantages.

I highly doubt that you would find anyone outside of Houston that would suggest that Calvin might be as good as AJ when most people consider Calvin to be the better receiver now and for several years now. AJ is an all time great in my eyes, but so are several others you just mentioned.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #145
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Sounds very homerish to decisively suggest that AJ has been better then all of these guys. You could make a strong argument for each one being better in some form depending on what stats you use. They are all great receivers. Some have had better advantages in certain seasons and some have had lesser advantages.

I highly doubt that you would find anyone outside of Houston that would suggest that Calvin might be as good as AJ when most people consider Calvin to be the better receiver now and for several years now. AJ is an all time great in my eyes, but so are several others you just mentioned.
AJ has been better over the course of his career than those guys I mentioned. That's not taking away from those guys at all. Any of them may have a season or even two that are arguably better than AJ, but none of them are as high in yards, yards/game, and catches as AJ over the course of a career. The only point to that is it's a pass happy era, but even within that framework, AJ has more yards, yards/game, and catches than his contemporaries in the same era. And he's done it with a significant part of his career being hurt by subpar QBs. AJ did better with Carr than Fitzgerald did with Leinart, for example, and Fitz is the best comparison to AJ.

As for the homerish comment, I've argued both sides of the AJ HOF debate, so neither side ever wants to believe what I type at various times LOL. So whatever.
Old 12-21-2013   #146
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the perception across the league is that Andre is a future HOF'er. I think many people wonder what his TD #'s would look like with better quarterbacking in his career.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #147
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
AJ has been better over the course of his career than those guys I mentioned. That's not taking away from those guys at all. Any of them may have a season or even two that are arguably better than AJ, but none of them are as high in yards, yards/game, and catches as AJ over the course of a career. The only point to that is it's a pass happy era, but even within that framework, AJ has more yards, yards/game, and catches than his contemporaries in the same era. And he's done it with a significant part of his career being hurt by subpar QBs. AJ did better with Carr than Fitzgerald did with Leinart, for example, and Fitz is the best comparison to AJ.

As for the homerish comment, I've argued both sides of the AJ HOF debate, so neither side ever wants to believe what I type at various times LOL. So whatever.
It seems to me that you are only using yards as a barometer which makes AJ look better than a lot of guys in that respect. However, there are a ton of other things to measure a receiver by one of which is a stat that AJ lacks big time which is TD's. AJ has never gotten over 10 while several of these other guys we're discussing have done it routinely along with a lot of yards. Now a lot of that I'll admit was due to coaching with Capers and Kubiak's awful RZ plays that didn't feature AJ well. I think all of us have always believed that AJ's lack of TD's have not really been his fault and more on the coaching staff, but it doesn't change the fact of what his stats say in that category and his whole career of only playing in 4 playoff games between two seasons. I could pull of every stat sheet of those guys mentioned and probably break down a very sound argument for why each one of those WR's were better than the other or why they should be in the HOF, but the fact is that there will probably be several including AJ that don't get it at least for a very long time. I don't think AJ gets in for probably at least 15 years or so and it will have to be in a season where there aren't a ton of "first ballot" shoe in players. I'd say it's about a 50/50 shot that AJ ever gets in.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read