Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2013   #61
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Thank you for adding relevance to this thread. The boys were starting to get off topic....
Actually the purposes of that post was to see how easy it would be to yank your chain from a several hundred miles away using only a computer keyboard. It was pretty darn easy.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #62
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Actually the purposes of that post was to see how easy it would be to yank your chain from a several hundred miles away using only a computer keyboard. It was pretty darn easy.

Don't fall for it, Wolverine.
Old 12-11-2013   #63
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And there was Vermiel, right? Although he probably intended to stay retired that first time and maybe even the second time.

And then there was Lombardi. I never really understood what happened there. I was too young. But he quit the Packers and went to the Redskins (and then died.)

And THEN there was Jack Pardee. He was the coach of the Chicago Bears, built the team up and took them to the playoffs but lost to the Cowboys. Then... I don't know if he quit or if his contract expired, and he was coaching the Redskins the next year.

It's obviously rare, though.
Parcels?
Old 12-11-2013   #64
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely worth looking into as a candidate.
Old 12-11-2013   #65
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

What is his philosophy for defense? I know he's only been HC at Penn St. but what has his defenses looked like?
Old 12-11-2013   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He was the same guy who ripped Brady a new ******* on the sidelines Two years ago and Brady was arguing back. Brady said he was wrong after the game and that he needed to listen to his coach. Brady respected the hell out of him. He didn't have any problems getting in his star player's ass. I liked that about him. He was also the OC when Brady got his 2nd MVP season.
Ok, now I know who we are talking about. I remember being very impressed with him
Old 12-11-2013   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Honestly, HC @ a top college program probably better than a lot of NFL jobs. Even with scandal, Penn state is top 20 program ( in terms of funding and prestige) and probably better than being the head coach at the bottom 12 or so NFL jobs.
Yes, I get that. Some want to level out at college or enjoy the college life style. I would think there is as much pressure as a college HC as NFL. If you consider NFL as "top of food chain" it can be easier sometimes to move up from a coordinator role on a team where you have shown your chops. i am not arguing or debating anyone simply making observations.
Old 12-11-2013   #68
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

Don't fall for it, Wolverine.
Oh I'm well aware. He thinks he's got me hooked when really I'm just interested in seeing how far he will carry his trolls. It's quite amusing.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #69
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This guy worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and Brady loved the guy. I'm sort of liking this. He just might become my favorite candidate.
So did Josh McDaniels...
Old 12-11-2013   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So did Josh McDaniels...
Well then obviously we should rule out anyone who worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and who Tom thought highly of.

As long as this guy didn't help Sandusky molest kids while helping Hernandez murder people I'm willing to overlook the fact that Tom Brady liked him. Nobody's perfect.
Old 12-11-2013   #71
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So did Josh McDaniels...
Charlie Weis
Old 12-11-2013   #72
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Well then obviously we should rule out anyone who worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and who Tom thought highly of.

As long as this guy didn't help Sandusky molest kids while helping Hernandez murder people I'm willing to overlook the fact that Tom Brady liked him. Nobody's perfect.
Anyone that yells at Tom Brady moves up on my list, and then gets Tom to admit he was wrong....

I would like this hire
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Parcels?
Yep. Good point. Forgot about him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #74
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
Anyone that yells at Tom Brady moves up on my list, and then gets Tom to admit he was wrong....
Well, I'm halfway there.
Old 12-11-2013   #75
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, I'm halfway there.
Yeah i have a long list...
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #76
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I would fully be on board with a Bill O'Brien hire. I think what he has done at Penn State has been extremely impressive. I like his pedigree and think he would shake things up here in a way that would get us results. Also, I think JJ Watt would love to play for him which is important in keeping him here long term. I agree with the other poster who has Shaw/O'Brien>>>>>>>>>>Lovie Smith/Whisenhunt.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #77
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
what? Sorry but this post made no sense to me .

College coaches coach in college only to get the opportunity to coach in the NFL or go away?

Has anyone other than Madden left a HC job for any reason other than being fired? ( I know Gruden was technically traded)

College coaches often jump at the opportunity to coach in the NFL vs. leaving the Texans to coach the Raiders
Old 12-11-2013   #78
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

BILL O'BRIEN
Quote:
What O'Brien has been able to do at Penn State has been nothing short of substantial. Penn State hired O'Brien to take over a troubled program after the Jerry Sandusky scandal and was hit with probation and the loss of 40 scholarships over four years and that didn't include the players who were allowed to leave Penn State and go to other programs without penalty (Silas Redd, Anthony Fera and Justin Brown). Despite the losses of scholarships and a few key contributors, O'Brien has put together a 15-9 mark in two seasons including an 8-4 record last year.

O'Brien favors an up-tempo offense mixing a power running game with inside and outside zone and a play-action passing attack as a counter. While Chip Kelly's offense may not be the norm around NFL circles within two or three years, I do think O'Brien's will be as tempo will likely continue to catch on around the league while still utilizing more traditional running and passing attacks. The way O'Brien has handled the Penn State program and the fact that he comes from Bill Belichick's coaching tree will work in his favor. Will he leave Penn State? He has admitted that he would like to get back to the NFL, but said he didn't want to ditch PSU after just one year. Well he is finished with two years no so I think he is a possibility. One particular issue with O'Brien is that he will likely want some level of personnel control and Rick Smith is unlikely to cede too much over.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #79
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Personnel control? To a guy who has never been an NFL head coach? Pass. We just had a coach that had full control. There needs to be some checks in balances in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #80
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Personnel control? To a guy who has never been an NFL head coach? Pass. We just had a coach that had full control. There needs to be some checks in balances in place.
Another LZ prognostication. Most NFL HC candidates want some level of personnel control. Not sure why in the world it is reasonable to predict Smith has magically gone from no control to total control sufficiently to block a HC candidate McNair otherwise likes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read