Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2013   #181
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Not trying to prove or disprove what you're attempting to show here but QBR takes into account Quarterback rushing numbers which is why Manziel's numbers there show a decline. It doesn't really support the argument he hasn't developed as a passer. Its a Teddy B thread though so I won't even get into my thoughts on it.
Those stats were really posted to satisfy my need for objectivity. Clearly, the person who created that pretty Johnny Football graphic with only his positive statistics was biased. I only meant to present the stats to reflect the whole picture.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #182
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
LOL - he knows it is a significant increase which is why he broke it into quarters to make the number look small.

Sure it does. That's why the Eagles are 10th in the league in offensive plays run and the Texans are 3rd. Even more to the point, the Eagles are 27th in passing plays and the Texans are 4th.

Why not just provide the # of plays and examine whether it accounts for the extra passes?
For starters, I know the difference between the college game and the NFL. It's silly to compare the two. One or two additional passes per quarter does not make a BIG difference, it's even less if you include a full body of work. Of course the bias had to juggle the numbers to skew the numbers in their favor. Your Mr. research if you want to know the number of plays look them up, I have. I told you I am not your research assistant. Bottom line Geno Smith and Teddy Bridgewater played in a much more balanced offense than any Mike Leach "Air Raid" offense. Neither Teddy nor Geno came close to playing in a 70% passing offense. This should keep you LOL for awhile.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #183
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I do think he's an elite athlete with elite physical tools , that's the only reason I'd consider him as the #1 pick , those physical tools. No he doesn't have the biggest arm but its more than adequate with good touch and plenty of velocity.

What Im not sold on is level of competition , the mental part of the game (reading defenses , protections and others) as well as mechanics.
I really like how he moves around in the pocket ... kinda reminds me a bit of Brady there. But you do have to factor in the level of competition. His internal clock will have to speed up in the NFL.

No doubt about his success being a joint effort. The first thing they have to do is shorten that release and get him to keep the ball up high , ready to come out quickly.

That I wouldn't complain about .... I just don't like the idea of @ #1 with all the question marks surrounding him.
Elite is subjective. He doesn't have tools like vick, cam, luck, or 3. Perhaps thats unfair. I need to see more game managment etc. I've surely seen less of him then most of you. I think he COULD become a franchise qb...I'm just not as sold as you sound. I'm not so sold that I wouldn't take clowney or barr instead. Its a long process.
Old 12-11-2013   #184
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I'm not sure that Teddy Bridgewater will be as good an NFL QB as Geno Smith.

......Teddy Bridgewater, 6'3" 205.....................Geno Smith, 6'2" 218

Pass Yards: 9370..........................................11,6 62
TDs:..........69.................................. ............98
INTs...........24................................. .............21
RAT:..........169.7............................... ............163.9
Comp. %:....70.2%....................................... ..71.2%
I know you're a stats guy. You have even tried to make the argument here that Bridgewater will not be as good as Geno Smith because his college stats aren't as good.

Quote:
For starters, I know the difference between the college game and the NFL. It's silly to compare the two. One or two additional passes per quarter does not make a BIG difference, it's even less if you include a full body of work. Of course the bias had to juggle the numbers to skew the numbers in their favor. Your Mr. research if you want to know the number of plays look them up, I have. I told you I am not your research assistant. Bottom line Geno Smith and Teddy Bridgewater played in a much more balanced offense than any Mike Leach "Air Raid" offense. Neither Teddy nor Geno came close to playing in a 70% passing offense. This should keep you LOL for awhile.
And yet here, despite using college stats to try to boost your earlier argument, you now admit that it is silly to compare college to the pros (unless it suits your argument, apparently).

You then claim that a couple of extra pass attempts in each quarter does not make a big difference on the numbers. Let me illustrate that it does:

Geno Smith averaged over 8.1 YPA his senior year. With two extra pass attempts per quarter he would get eight extra attempts per game. We could safely assume an average of 8 yards per attempt on those eight throws, which would result in a net gain of 64 yards per game. Over the course of a 12 game season that would lead to a net gain of over 750 passing yards, far from insignificant.

And I'm sure you took all of that into consideration when you tried to make your statistical argument earlier, since it quite clearly bothers you when other posters try to skew the numbers into their favor.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #185
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I know you're a stats guy. You have even tried to make the argument here that Bridgewater will not be as good as Geno Smith because his college stats aren't as good.

And yet here, despite using college stats to try to boost your earlier argument, you now admit that it is silly to compare college to the pros (unless it suits your argument, apparently).

You then claim that a couple of extra pass attempts in each quarter does not make a big difference on the numbers. Let me illustrate that it does:

Geno Smith averaged over 8.1 YPA his senior year. With two extra pass attempts per quarter he would get eight extra attempts per game. We could safely assume an average of 8 yards per attempt on those eight throws, which would result in a net gain of 64 yards per game. Over the course of a 12 game season that would lead to a net gain of over 750 passing yards, far from insignificant.

And I'm sure you took all of that into consideration when you tried to make your statistical argument earlier, since it quite clearly bothers you when other posters try to skew the numbers into their favor.
Texian = Uncle Nate

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #186
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First, you're wrong, I never said Bridgewater would be worse than Geno, I expect Bridgewater to be on par or equal to Geno. That is what started this all in the first place. My biggest complaint against Teddy is he throws an air ball on his deep pass. (AKA Landry Jones) I never compared any Geno NFL stats to Teddy's ONLY Geno's college stats were posted. I don't know where you got that. You must be in love with Teddy or just looking for an argument.

As to your analysis, let me try and make this as simple as I can. When one team runs more offensive plays than another team, there is a very high probability there will be more passing plays and more passing yards by the team that ran more offensive plays. Their offenses are still similarly balanced and still not any thing close to Mike Leach's "Air Raid" 70% passing Offense.

If that doesn't work try this. It doesn't matter whether they ran 100 offensive plays or 1000, Geno and Teddy were much closer to 50% passing plays than Mike Leach's 70% passing plays.
Old 12-11-2013   #187
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
HWSBN - Should have taken Peppers; obvious.

Mario - should have taken who exactly? Bush and VY were the "top" choices at the time.

I'm not saying Bridewater is the answer but saying we screwed up every #1 is kind of far fetched especially when Young and Bush were the other options.
Ngata?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #188
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Ngata?
Maybe not the sexiest pick at #1 overall, though with hindsight, yeah, that'd be a pretty nice grab. Ngata's one of my favorite players, anyway...
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #189
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ngata?
Cherry picking. At the time he was "roughly" a top ten pick. Now? I'd agree wholeheartedly.
Old 12-11-2013   #190
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure that Teddy Bridgewater will be as good an NFL QB as Geno Smith.

......Teddy Bridgewater, 6'3" 205.....................Geno Smith, 6'2" 218

Pass Yards: 9370..........................................11,6 62
TDs:..........69.................................. ............98
INTs...........24................................. .............21
RAT:..........169.7............................... ............163.9
Comp. %:....70.2%....................................... ..71.2%
Quote:
First, you're wrong, I never said Bridgewater would be worse than Geno, I expect Bridgewater to be on par or equal to Geno. That is what started this all in the first place. My biggest complaint against Teddy is he throws an air ball on his deep pass. (AKA Landry Jones) I never compared any Geno NFL stats to Teddy's ONLY Geno's college stats were posted. I don't know where you got that. You must be in love with Teddy or just looking for an argument.

As to your analysis, let me try and make this as simple as I can. When one team runs more offensive plays than another team, there is a very high probability there will be more passing plays and more passing yards by the team that ran more offensive plays. Their offenses are still similarly balanced and still not any thing close to Mike Leach's "Air Raid" 70% passing Offense.
I never once mentioned the Air Raid. You are the one who compared the two QBs college stats as part of your argument that you're "not sure that Teddy Bridgewater will be as good an NFL QB as Geno Smith."

In one post you use college stats to support your argument and then in a later post you say that comparisons between college and NFL are silly. Which is it?

As for your analysis in this thread, simplicity isn't an issue. In fact, your take couldn't be more simple.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #191
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Ok I retract that statement, 2006, in retrospect, they got it "right" not by picking the best player, but by lack of options, being VY is out of the league and Bush is on his 3rd team. Mario had a very lack luster career here in Houston.

Personally, I think the franchise QB the Texans wanted went back to Oregon and now they are in a position to either take the player they liked 2nd or get a vet to play QB and trade back...

Problem is you don't take the guy you liked 2nd #1 overall. Unless Bridgewater turns into another Warren Moon, which I guess could happen, I don't think he is worth the #1 pick.
I hope for the Texans sake and my sanity if Bridgewater is drafted he doesn't turn into another Moon. I cant take many more Buffalo/Denver/Kansas City playoff choke jobs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #192
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If that doesn't work try this. It doesn't matter whether they ran 100 offensive plays or 1000, Geno and Teddy were much closer to 50% passing plays than Mike Leach's 70% passing plays.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #193
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hope for the Texans sake and my sanity if Bridgewater is drafted he doesn't turn into another Moon. I cant take many more Buffalo/Denver/Kansas City playoff choke jobs.
I'd be thrilled with another moon. Those chokes didn't happen single handidly. It was a group effort of monumental proportions to do what they did.
Old 12-11-2013   #194
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be ecstatic if we got another Warren Moon.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #195
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
In one post you use college stats to support your argument and then in a later post you say that comparisons between college and NFL are silly. Which is it?
First thing is let's put your question back in it's original context. That way it will less confusing for you. Where I said comparing NFL and college was silly was Cak's attempt in comparing the number of plays an NFL Team runs vs number of plays a College Team runs. Your basic Apples and Oranges. Comparing the balance of one College Team's Offensive plays to another College Team's balance of Offensive plays is not only apples to apples but it's the same kind of apple.
Old 12-11-2013   #196
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Texian comparing bridgewater to geno is retarded. The biggest issue most people had with geno were the passes behind the los. Same with the big guy in denver whos name slips my mind now. Ive never read anyone compare bridgewater to geno or landry jones. Yep, the same landry jones who always cracked under pressure. Everything and 90 percent of people who make comparison say 6'3 russell wilson or aaron rodgers. Even if you thought he could be a taller russell wilson or aaron rodgers and you thought clowney could benthe next peppers, who will help you win more games?

For every example of david carr as most like to bring up, I can bring up ben and rivers,ryan and flacco. Point is,its a risk because as ive said,we are talking about 21 yr old kids. There are no safe picks or ones with less risk per se. Steve emtman never missed a game in pop warner,jr high,or college, but he got hurt soon as he signed his contract.
Old 12-11-2013   #197
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Trolling again? or just back from the kegger? or both?
Old 12-11-2013   #198
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
retarded.
Is that the best you got? I would've thought your education could do much better than retarded. Guess not.
Old 12-11-2013   #199
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where I said comparing NFL and college was silly was Cak's attempt in comparing the number of plays an NFL Team runs vs number of plays a College Team runs. Your basic Apples and Oranges.
What is stupid is screaming apples and oranges without understanding the point being made. To spell that out one more time for you - running a fast paced, no huddle offense doesn't necessarily mean you get more plays. College or NFL that is true.
Old 12-11-2013   #200
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Texian comparing bridgewater to geno is retarded. The biggest issue most people had with geno were the passes behind the los. Same with the big guy in denver whos name slips my mind now. Ive never read anyone compare bridgewater to geno or landry jones. Yep, the same landry jones who always cracked under pressure. Everything and 90 percent of people who make comparison say 6'3 russell wilson or aaron rodgers.
None of his comparisons make sense. I quit taking him serious a while ago because it's obvious that he's just bored and trying to start stuff with different posters to entertain himself.

His hate for Landry Jones is hilarious though because he is always parroting what his boy Bill Polian is saying. He must have missed this one...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-the-draft/

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read