Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2013   #161
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Teddy B throws over 100 times less in their last 2 years in college.

the only comparison I see between Teddy B and Geno is they are both black QBs.

If you are going to compare Teddy to any quarterback who has a question mark next to what they will do in the NFL ranks it's Blake Bortles, which you've come out and said you love.

Also, don't fall in love with that semi-rushing ability of Bortles. That 4.9 speed and RG3 size will lead to a lot of missed games if he doesn't give that up quick.
Black has nothing to do with it. I did compare Bridgewater's arm to Landry Jones. Both throw a very similar "FLOATER".

I'm guessing Bortles runs closer to a 4.7 than a 4.9. Mettenberger yes, Bortles, I don't think so.

Geno ran a 4.56 and I'm guessing Bridgewater will be closer to a 4.65.

Bortles is the same size as Luck, Both are 6'4" Bortles weighs 230, Luck 234. RGIII 6'2" 223

Quote:
Teddy B (last 2 years) = 801 pass attempts

Bortles (last 2 years) = 750 Pass attempts

Geno S (last 2 years) = 1044 pass attempts

Big difference.
Not really, over the course of two years that is a difference of 2 passes per quarter. However Leach and WVU ran more plays than Louisville (up tempo, no huddle) so that accounts for the 2 passing plays per quarter.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #162
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
It just seems that every year we pick #1 there's a QB and DE slotted as the "best player". Both QBs, in hindsight, have been a disaster and the DE's have been Great and...$100M to Bills. If our short history is any indicator on the future success of these two, I'm taking Clowney hahaha. I can't deal with another HWSBN scenario...then again another eyar of Case/Schaub would be bad too.
Here is something to ponder, what if HWSNBN's brother has a great training camp, Texans pass on him solely because of the name, and he ends up in like Tennessee and is the best QB out of the draft and taking the Titans to the playoffs every year, killing the Texans for the next 10 years...

Talk about irony...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #163
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55991 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Not really, over the course of two years that is a difference of 2 passes per quarter. However Leach and WVU ran more plays than Louisville (up tempo, no huddle) so that accounts for the 2 passing plays per quarter.
Oh, you know, a 30% increase is not that much of an increase. Lol, too funny.

I try not to engage you, but you are just so ridiculous it's like impulse for me to respond.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #164
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

I try not to engage you, but you are just so ridiculous it's like impulse for me to respond.
Apparently you're having difficulty understanding up tempo and no huddle means more plays. That doesn't necessarily effect the balance of the offense. You're in college, you can't understand this and you think this is funny? No it's not really funny or ridiculous, it's worrisome. There are a couple of reason why WVU threw a tad more than they ran but if you can't understand up tempo no huddle I doubt you could understand those reasons. I'd just be wasting my time to post them. And remember I respond to post in a manner in which I'm responded to. That's why I am exchanging pleasantries in a similar manner as you. You love my posts and you know it. It's the first thing you look for when you sign in.
Don't you have a kegger you need to attend?
Old 12-11-2013   #165
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55991 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Lolbravo
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #166
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27943 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Black has nothing to do with it. I did compare Bridgewater's arm to Landry Jones. Both throw a very similar "FLOATER".

I'm guessing Bortles runs closer to a 4.7 than a 4.9. Mettenberger yes, Bortles, I don't think so.

Geno ran a 4.56 and I'm guessing Bridgewater will be closer to a 4.65.

Bortles is the same size as Luck, Both are 6'4" Bortles weighs 230, Luck 234. RGIII 6'2" 223

1. 4.78 – I took his 40 high to skew the stat in my favor. I doubt you’d disagree with that style of thinking

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2015&genpos=QB

2. I highly doubt you “guessed” a 4.65. Regardless, he is faster, but prefers not to run. This is a great quality for a guy that loves to look downfield to find the true playmakers on the football field instead of scrambling for 5 yards and getting smashed.

3. Luck is 6’4” and 240.

Every place I see that gives close accuracy has Bortles at 6’3” and 227-230.

4. Finally, being a super up tempo, no huddle team completely invalidates the point they run similar offenses IMO. That’s just as big of a difference as run/pass ratio, or taking snaps under center as opposed to spread out wide in the shotgun.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #167
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Here is something to ponder, what if HWSNBN's brother has a great training camp, Texans pass on him solely because of the name, and he ends up in like Tennessee and is the best QB out of the draft and taking the Titans to the playoffs every year, killing the Texans for the next 10 years...

Talk about irony...
Who cares?

Is anyone talking about him being the best QB in this class? The second best?

Chances are we're going to be selecting the first QB of the 2014 draft, maybe the second. Unless he's in that conversation, it doesn't matter. We should be drafting the best, or the second best QB prospect in this up coming draft.

If we're picking first or second, no one is going to fault the Texans for not picking the 5th/6th best QB in the draft.
Old 12-11-2013   #168
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Who cares?

Is anyone talking about him being the best QB in this class? The second best?

Chances are we're going to be selecting the first QB of the 2014 draft, maybe the second. Unless he's in that conversation, it doesn't matter. We should be drafting the best, or the second best QB prospect in this up coming draft.

If we're picking first or second, no one is going to fault the Texans for not picking the 5th/6th best QB in the draft.
First off pull the stick out of your ass and lighten the F up! The comment was in jest...

Second, after the Bowl games and combine, he very well could shoot right to the top of the draft board, then what smart ass? You gonna tell me the Texans are gonna pick Derek Carr #1 overall after the absolute debacle they had with his brother and helicopter father? NO F'ing WAY!

Just because they are not talking about him now, doesn't mean they won't be after the Senior Bowl or his workouts. Nobody was talking about Eric Fisher, I damn sure never heard of him, until AFTER the combine, where did he go again?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #169
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

LOL - he knows it is a significant increase which is why he broke it into quarters to make the number look small.

Quote:
Apparently you're having difficulty understanding up tempo and no huddle means more plays.
Sure it does. That's why the Eagles are 10th in the league in offensive plays run and the Texans are 3rd. Even more to the point, the Eagles are 27th in passing plays and the Texans are 4th.

Why not just provide the # of plays and examine whether it accounts for the extra passes?
Old 12-11-2013   #170
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
INT: 2012-9 / 2013-13
RAW QBR: 2012-86.4 / 2013-78.9
ADJ QBR: 2012-90.5 / 2013-84.5
Rushing: 2012-1410 / 2013-686
Rush TD: 2012-21 / 2013-8
Not trying to prove or disprove what you're attempting to show here but QBR takes into account Quarterback rushing numbers which is why Manziel's numbers there show a decline. It doesn't really support the argument he hasn't developed as a passer. Its a Teddy B thread though so I won't even get into my thoughts on it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #171
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149340 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess my biggest issue with Bridgewater is his throwing mechanics , I see a rather long wind up with a slow release .... and he holds the ball somewhat low at times. Not as exaggerated as Tebow but a slow release none the less.

He can get away with that in college especially the level of competition he's faced on a regular basis but that dog wont hunt in the NFL. Any team that drafts him is going to have to clean up his mechanics ....

He definitely has a lot of tools to work with ... but he's got a lot of work to do to get to an NFL level.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #172
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Initial thoughts after watching limited film

Good athlete. Quick feet. I see a stronger then average arm ... not great but better then average. Good mobility while maintaining a pass first mindset and keeping his eyes down field. Stonger then his frame suggest. Solid poise...not elite. Sometimes sloppy mechanics. Ok accuracy. Has the arm downfield but placement seems general...lots of deep balls where defenders and safties have a chance at it...he's raw and could be molded with the right support system ...could be a franchise style qb but it won't happen overnight. Will need some time to grow. Playbook understanding appears average. Not as refined as sam Bradford comming out...not as gifted as rg3.
Old 12-11-2013   #173
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149340 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Initial thoughts after watching limited film

I see a stronger then average arm ... not great but better then average. Good mobility while maintaining a pass first mindset and keeping his eyes down field. Solid poise...not elite. Sometimes sloppy mechanics. Ok accuracy. Has the arm downfield but placement seems general...lots of deep balls where defenders and safties have a chance at it...he's raw and could be molded with the right support system ...could be a franchise style qb but it won't happen overnight. Will need some time to grow. Playbook understanding appears average. Not as refined as sam Bradford comming out...not as gifted as rg3.
Yep .... lots of risk with a high potential reward.

Old 12-11-2013   #174
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1. 4.78 – I took his 40 high to skew the stat in my favor. I doubt you’d disagree with that style of thinking

2. I highly doubt you “guessed” a 4.65. Regardless, he is faster, but prefers not to run. This is a great quality for a guy that loves to look downfield to find the true playmakers on the football field instead of scrambling for 5 yards and getting smashed.

3. Luck is 6’4” and 240.

Every place I see that gives close accuracy has Bortles at 6’3” and 227-230.

4. Finally, being a super up tempo, no huddle team completely invalidates the point they run similar offenses IMO. That’s just as big of a difference as run/pass ratio, or taking snaps under center as opposed to spread out wide in the shotgun.
I would hope that your "style of thinking" is OBJECTIVE but since you're trying to skew numbers to YOUR FAVOR, sadly I can see that it's not. Objective thinking is absent any bias, prejudice, FAVOR, falling in love with or wishing or wanting a player to be good. Absent Objective Thinking is how mistakes are made and what gets people fired.

Luck at the Combine weighed 234. So Luck is a 1/2" taller and weighs 4 lbs more than Bortles.
Old 12-11-2013   #175
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yep .... lots of risk with a high potential reward.
Would you agree he needs 3/4's to a full season of bench time before being what he can be? I know literally nothing about his mental make up , but the last thing I wanna do is "carr" him. I'd look for a journeyman qb to start if we draft him.
Old 12-11-2013   #176
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Would you agree he needs 3/4's to a full season of bench time before being what he can be? I know literally nothing about his mental make up , but the last thing I wanna do is "carr" him. I'd look for a journeyman qb to start if we draft him.
I really cant answer that right now.

I'd have to evaluate his progress on many issues - absorption of the playbook , mechanics & footwork , progressions , reading defenses , understanding protection packages.

At this point , I wouldn't throw him to the wolves .... I'd put him behind a vet in preseason but for how long , I couldn't answer. He may be ready to start week one , it may be half or an entire season. There's a whole lot to learn about QB play in the NFL ....

Old 12-11-2013   #177
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I really cant answer that right now.

I'd have to evaluate his progress on many issues - absorption of the playbook , mechanics & footwork , progressions , reading defenses , understanding protection packages.

At this point , I wouldn't throw him to the wolves .... I'd put him behind a vet in preseason but for how long , I couldn't answer. He may be ready to start week one , it may be half or an entire season. There's a whole lot to learn about QB play in the NFL ....
I still want to see things like blitz pick ups or his success against top competition (completion percentage, etc.) I think we all agree he has good tools (not elite!) Personally I'm more concerned about who his oc and qb coach is going to be. Teddys success will be a joint effort. Right place/right time...can we get that just once?
Old 12-11-2013   #178
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right place/right time...can we get that just once?
We can, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Teddy. One alternative is to get an injured prospect like Murray or Mettenberger (preferably the latter as his injury doesn't really hurt his playstyle and his arm strength can stretch the field) and have either Case or a vet QB like McCown play for a year/three-quarters of the season while picking up Clowney first overall/trading down for more defensive players. Improving the defense and offensive line is probably the best thing you can do for a young QB.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #179
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
We can, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Teddy. One alternative is to get an injured prospect like Murray or Mettenberger (preferably the latter as his injury doesn't really hurt his playstyle and his arm strength can stretch the field) and have either Case or a vet QB like McCown play for a year/three-quarters of the season while picking up Clowney first overall/trading down for more defensive players. Improving the defense and offensive line is probably the best thing you can do for a young QB.
Somehow I knew you would get into this conversation.

Old 12-11-2013   #180
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Somehow I knew you would get into this conversation.
Well, I'll turn that argument back on itself, then: It doesn't even have to be Clowney. Cleveland has two firsts, if we got those a minimum we could take a guy like Lewan at #7 and shore up the RT spot, or CJ Mosely or Khalil Mack and have a playmaker at ILB next to Cush, or even a guy like Mike Evans and have a Jimmy Graham-esque wideout.

Then, at Indy's ~25th overall pick we could get a guy like Trent Murphy to replace Ninja, an OT if we didn't grab Lewan, Tajh Boyd, or trade it back for more picks, etc.

My point is, this is a good draft to have #1 overall in. Lots of flexibility and a stacked talent pool.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read