Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2013   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jadeveon Clowney playing with bone spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The Hype Is No Joke
But neither is Jadeveon Clowney’s subpar junior season.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/11/jadeve...medium=twitter
What injuries did Clowney suffer last yr?

He slacke off this yr to avoid injury.

I really dont want Bridgewater or Clowney. Hopefully the Texans can find a way to trade down, gather more picks and build a solid foundation for the 1st time since their inception.

In short, I dont think Bridgewater will be good enough to win a SB with. Pass
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #62
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
1 subpar season? Are we talking about Mario here?

And also, what is your criteria of subpar? I, personally, have a different definition of subpar when I compare a #1 overall pick to any other DE not drafted, let's say.... top 15.

And while he was here and playing all that dude did was complain about this nagging injury or that nagging injury, it got real old. When you're the #1 pick and a physical beast, you gotta just man up.

All in all, I remember him missing 14 games (not to mention the games he left early) his final 2 years, a few subpar seasons counting his injury seasons, and a defensive liability if he couldn't make that loop move get to the QB fast enough.

I see a lot of Clowney in Mario. And I'll say it again, that's not necessarily a knock. Mario is a phenom, but I just don't want him in a Texans uniform again. The article about a few posts up was great too.
I was talking about clowney. You're comparing him to Mario for one subpar year. And yes that article was great.
Old 12-12-2013   #63
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default MMQB: The Hype Is No Joke

MMQB:The Hype Is No Joke, but neither is Jadeveon Clowney’s subpar junior season.
Greg Bedard
Quote:
“I think there’s flashes of brilliance and flashes of extreme inconsistency,” an AFC general manager says of Clowney. “I mean, it’s a boom or bust thing.”
Quote:
“Bill Belichick would make a monster out of him,” says an NFC general manager, who likens Clowney’s physical attributes to those of former Patriots outside linebacker Willie McGinest, who was drafted fourth overall by Bill Parcells in 1994.

“Parcells would have loved to put [Clowney] at SAM linebacker outside and set that edge, and would have just loved this kid—the way he played, maybe not the kid himself,” adds the NFC personnel director.
Quote:
“Looking at him this year compared to last year, it seemed like last year every single play was balls to the wall, hell on wheels,” says the AFC executive. “This year, there’s a lot of plays where he comes off the ball super hard, and if the ball is away he just kind of chills and watches the play. There’s definitely going to be some questions about that.”
Quote:
“I don’t see how that is such a factor that a team would take him off their board,” says an AFC scouting director. “Yeah, he’s immature and a young kid, but you can also go against that and say when he had a chance to shut it down, he did decide to come back. I think some of that can be overblown.”
Quote:
“Does [Clowney] have all the talent in the world? Yeah,” says the AFC GM. “For people to get secure with him, it’s going to come in the interviews, the one-on-ones with teams. They’ll try to get him off the pre-scripted stuff from the agent. You have to be able to pass that smell test. Whoever drafts him is going to dig into every nook and cranny on him. And they’re going to see what’s in his soul. They’re going to see what makes him tick.”
Quote:
“He’s a man amongst boys,” says an NFC personnel director. “But he’s one of those guys that’s a Pro Bowler, or he could be a big-time bust depending on what’s on the inside. That’s what we’ll all be digging into.”
Most important/interesting to me...
Quote:
Clowney isn’t a bend-around-the edge rusher like Robert Mathis, Robert Quinn, Von Miller or Aldon Smith. He is extremely stiff in the hips, a straight-line player. That’s why, in a survey of six NFL front office executives, Clowney is viewed optimally as a 4-3 left defensive end, where he can hold the edge against the tackle and/or tight end in the run and turn it loose when needed. He’ll be especially lethal when kicked inside in sub-packages to overwhelm guards.
Some old-school types feel that being a strong-side outside linebacker in a two-gap system would be best for Clowney, although the use of those schemes is dwindling because of the speed in today’s game.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #64
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I really dont want Bridgewater or Clowney.

If you cant trade down, who do you take?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post

If I cant trade down , I take Bridgewater and hope like hell he lives up to the potential.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #66
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Depends upon how far back you trade. #3 I take Matthews or Barr.

#5-8 I take one of Cameron Irving , Trent Murphy , C.J. Mosley or Mike Evans.

I think Mosley is the best player in this draft.
Re-read. CANT trade down.
Old 12-12-2013   #67
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re-read. CANT trade down.
I did , edited my post ....

Old 12-12-2013   #68
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
If I cant trade down , I take Bridgewater and hope like hell he lives up to the potential.
Well said.
Old 12-12-2013   #69
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well said.

The kid comes with no character concerns , has size , speed , arm , accuracy ... pretty much the total package other than the level of competition and his flawed mechanics.

You might have to sit him for a year but you do have the potential of a probowl caliber QB for the next decade if he does reach that potential.
If not , we'll do it again in a couple years .... with a new coach.

If you don't have a franchise QB , go get one.

Old 12-12-2013   #70
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27943 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The kid comes with no character concerns , has size , speed , arm , accuracy ... pretty much the total package other than the level of competition and his flawed mechanics.

You might have to sit him for a year but you do have the potential of a probowl caliber QB for the next decade if he does reach that potential.
If not , we'll do it again in a couple years .... with a new coach.

If you don't have a franchise QB , go get one.
Well said.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #71
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. Well at least until we start seeing the nitty gritty of the draft process.

I don't know if the Mario/Clowney comparisons are very fair as Mario was a complete workout warrior and was not on the radar of #1 overall until the combine. He was a great prospect and probably was going to be the first DE off the board, but until scouts/GMs saw the 6'7" 290lb dude run like a 4.5 or something crazy he wasn't in talks of going that high.

I think in terms of trading down, the best bet might be with ATL who might covet either Clowney or Matthews and have traded higher up in the draft before. If they end up with the #2 pick though, I doubt that happens.
Old 12-13-2013   #72
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Mathews over Clowney and Bridgewater. I think he'd be the safer bet of the bunch, being and olineman and a bloodline. That's IF we can't trade back. For what was looking like an awesome draft a few weeks ago sure looks like poop now
Old 12-13-2013   #73
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 14620 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney: Do not want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Can't ever count out the Raiders.
We'll have to see about that now that that A{rogant}L{oumouth} Davis isn't around. Oakland might actually learn how to draft now.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #74
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'd take Mathews over Clowney and Bridgewater. I think he'd be the safer bet of the bunch, being and olineman and a bloodline. That's IF we can't trade back. For what was looking like an awesome draft a few weeks ago sure looks like poop now
I'd definitely take Matthews over Clowney , Bridgewater , its still a toss up for me. I just cant decide .... IF I didn't trade back which at this point is my preference.

Yeah , with Mariota staying in school , now possibly Bridgewater ... and a few others , the top end talent sure looks a bit weak.

Old 12-13-2013   #75
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clowney: Do not want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
We'll have to see about that now that that A{rogant}L{oumouth} Davis isn't around. Oakland might actually learn how to draft now.
The minute Davis died they made a terrible trade getting rid of two first round draft picks for Carson Palmer. They haven't showed me that they are any different at all since he passed.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #76
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

We are not taking a right tackle at first overall with Clowney and Bridgewater on the board.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #77
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Blake Bortles = is cool as calm as collected a Joe Montana.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #78
Lucky

Rep Power: 102976 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You just described David Carr coming out of college.
Old 12-14-2013   #79
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Except that no one was projecting Carr as the number one pick. God was that a STUPID pick.
Old 12-14-2013   #80
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Cant argue with that .... and probably a big part of why I struggle with taking him #1 overall. We've been down that road as Texans fans. It would be tragic to make the same mistake a second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Blake Bortles = is cool as calm as collected a Joe Montana.
There is a lot to like about Bortles ... But Im not gonna compare any college QB to Joe Cool. I'm old enough to remember those years , four Super Bowls wins & three Super Bowl MVP's ....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read