Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2013   #41
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

I'm starting to like this guy!
Old 12-10-2013   #42
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Hands down a top 2 candidate in my book. He brings the NFL experience and HC experience. Commands respect.
Old 12-10-2013   #43
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien/Shaw >>>>>>>>>Lovie Smith/Wisenhunt
Old 12-10-2013   #44
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Hands down a top 2 candidate in my book. He brings the NFL experience and HC experience. Commands respect.
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Bill O'Brien and David Shaw over anyone else. I think a new fresh look and game plan is what these young guys will
Bring.
Old 12-10-2013   #45
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1939 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post

And both of those guys are capable of sticking around for a long time if things work out
Old 12-10-2013   #46
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Consecutive division titles and two playoff victories? Our first non-losing and winning seasons? I mean, come on, he didn't come in and win a SB but he did do better than Capers did.
The "consecutive division titles" thing continues to grind my gears. It took a Manningless Colts team and a downside Titans team for him to do it. Here we are again, not even a year later and the Colts are on their way back up and the Texans are the worst in the league.
Old 12-10-2013   #47
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm becoming more and more of a Bill O'Brien fan. Hope the Texans are too.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #48
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
And both of those guys are capable of sticking around for a long time if things work out
I'm sure Penn State and Stanford were thinking that too.

I'd like to see either one of them hired. Probably won't get either one but maybe we'll get lucky.
Old 12-10-2013   #49
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
The "consecutive division titles" thing continues to grind my gears. It took a Manningless Colts team and a downside Titans team for him to do it. Here we are again, not even a year later and the Colts are on their way back up and the Texans are the worst in the league.
For starters you act like this is pee wee football. I don't care what teams are made of it is not easy to win a division title.

As for the colts "on the way up". I'm not impressed. One could argue the only reason they are going to win the AFC south is because the Texans are having a down year. Luck is a good QB, not great...yet. They're team is very inconsistent at best. If we were 80% of last years team I would say the division would be ours.

Unfortunately we are about 35% of last years team. If we do not take the division next year I think we will fully compete for it with us taking the crown in 2015.

I may be optimistic but I think crowning Indy as a clone of Peyton's Colts is absurd and no where close to that.
Old 12-10-2013   #50
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Bortles beat O'Brien.
Thank you for adding relevance to this thread. The boys were starting to get off topic....

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #51
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1939 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm sure Penn State and Stanford were thinking that too.

I'd like to see either one of them hired. Probably won't get either one but maybe we'll get lucky.
College coaches come and go for the opportunity to coach in the NFL if they decide to do so

Im sure its happened before but Head Coaches in the NFL don't often leave an organization that takes care of him
Old 12-10-2013   #52
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
College coaches come and go for the opportunity to coach in the NFL if they decide to do so

Im sure its happened before but Head Coaches in the NFL don't often leave an organization that takes care of him
what? Sorry but this post made no sense to me .

College coaches coach in college only to get the opportunity to coach in the NFL or go away?

Has anyone other than Madden left a HC job for any reason other than being fired? ( I know Gruden was technically traded)
Old 12-10-2013   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's done a great job at Penn St.

The NCAA should have shut down that program.

What happened there was the definition of the NCAA's belove lack of insitutional control sentence,that they love to use before they lower the boom on the SMU/TCU/Arkansas Pine-Bluffs of the world.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #54
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Urges Students to Arrive early

Quote:
“This is a noon kickoff, and it is by far the biggest game for us so far this year. We’re playing a 5-0 Northwestern team. We feel like we’re doing some good things. We need all those students in the stands at noon for that kickoff. They [the players] feed off of that–The crowd noise, the student section. Whether it’s white out, this out, that out, I don’t know, I just need them in the stands at noon going nuts for this football team because we have to have a great home field advantage, and these guys really feed off that.” - Bill O'brien
Holds fans accountable, looks a little fiery, maybe he'll pull some passion out of some of our players again.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #55
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sets lofty ambitions/goals
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #56
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks more like a Mafia enforcer than a coach. That's probably what Houston needs at this point, anyway. A tough guy with a little fire to him, not the cool laid back type that Kubes tended to be.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #57
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
what? Sorry but this post made no sense to me .

College coaches coach in college only to get the opportunity to coach in the NFL or go away?

Has anyone other than Madden left a HC job for any reason other than being fired? ( I know Gruden was technically traded)
I think he means college coaches constantly jump ship to coach in the pros. Not all college coaches who have the chance do, but most. Not in the pros though. If a pro coach has the solid backing of ownership then he's not likely to skip around jobs.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If you mean not fired and still having the intention to coach, Jimmy Johnson.
Old 12-11-2013   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If you mean not fired and still having the intention to coach, Jimmy Johnson.
And there was Vermiel, right? Although he probably intended to stay retired that first time and maybe even the second time.

And then there was Lombardi. I never really understood what happened there. I was too young. But he quit the Packers and went to the Redskins (and then died.)

And THEN there was Jack Pardee. He was the coach of the Chicago Bears, built the team up and took them to the playoffs but lost to the Cowboys. Then... I don't know if he quit or if his contract expired, and he was coaching the Redskins the next year.

It's obviously rare, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #60
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm down with this guy big time. Shaw is going to be a harder get, but I think O'Brien would fit in perfect. Get it done Bobby Boy! Anyone who has seen his Real Sports segment can probably tell you how much character this dude has. He became a fan for life of mine after watching that. He's the real deal on and off the field.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read