Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2013   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The only thing it factors in with me is I want to see how a coach does with his own guys. We made excuses for Kubiak early on here because he was still getting his guys. Well, once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better.
Consecutive division titles and two playoff victories? Our first non-losing and winning seasons? I mean, come on, he didn't come in and win a SB but he did do better than Capers did.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Consecutive division titles and two playoff victories? Our first non-losing and winning seasons? I mean, come on, he didn't come in and win a SB but he did do better than Capers did.
Gee, when you put it that way, the bar is so high I might trip over it. He also went 3-14 since the 11-1 start last year, and sub-.500 for his career. So the winning seasons look more like outliers than anything else. Not that I am not happy for those moments, mind you, but all I said was once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better, which is true. Knock those first two seasons off and his W-L record is 47-46.
Old 12-10-2013   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Gee, when you put it that way, the bar is so high I might trip over it. He also went 3-14 since the 11-1 start last year, and sub-.500 for his career. So the winning seasons look more like outliers than anything else. Not that I am not happy for those moments, mind you, but all I said was once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better, which is true. Knock those first two seasons off and his W-L record is 47-46.
He didn't do any better than what?

To me, when you say he got his guys and didn't do any better it means when he got his guys, he didn't do any better either than his predecessor or than when he had the other guy's guys.

47-46 (Kubiak's record after the first two seasons) is better than 18-46 (which was Capers' record) or 9-23 (Capers' record after 2 seasons).

Granted, both Kubiak and Capers ended with a two win season but when Kubiak's team was in its prime, it was a winning team.
Old 12-10-2013   #24
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
He didn't do any better than what?
Didn't do any better than he did with the other guy's players. Sorry, should have worded it better.
Old 12-10-2013   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach. I don't know of a single NFL coach who has ever had to go out and recruit his roster. They draft them and seeing a coach make his predecessors players work well is in my opinion a plus. Coaches have massive input when it comes to drafting players granted but they also have much more insight into what they're looking at as well as input from scouts and front office personnel. As long as they're drafting players without being the only guy in the room with input I'm comfortable with it.

If he can coach then that's what we're looking for. The law of averages says that sooner or later one of these Belichick guys is going to meet expectations. Why can't that guy be Bill O'Brien?
Agreed.

I see this with both Shaw and O'Brien. Who recruited what players (or how well the coach does at recruiting) is wholly irrelevant to the job an NFL coach has. The NFL doesn't recruit (in the same sense a college coach does) at all and, further, talent acquisition is mostly on the GM (or should be). What I want to know about O'Brien is how well he can motivate players and coaches, how well he can build a staff, how well he can scheme for opponents, how innovative he can be and how well he can adjust on the fly.

My only reservation with O'Brien is the Patriot stigma. He does have a great reputation, though.
Old 12-10-2013   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Shaw head coach and O'brien OC or would he go for that?
Old 12-10-2013   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Shaw head coach and O'brien OC or would he go for that?
No.

I don't see that happening. Both of these are HCs now.
Old 12-10-2013   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.

I don't see that happening. Both of these are HCs now.
College HC equals NFL HC? Never would have guessed that. I know some like Mack Brown get about $%m per year but thought most were 2-3 m.
Old 12-10-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
College HC equals NFL HC? Never would have guessed that. I know some like Mack Brown get about $%m per year but thought most were 2-3 m.
I don't know of a HC that ever left his job to be an NFL coordinator. If he gets fired yes.... but just leave a program to be a coordinator? I seriously doubt that ever happened.
Old 12-10-2013   #30
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know of a HC that ever left his job to be an NFL coordinator. If he gets fired yes.... but just leave a program to be a coordinator? I seriously doubt that ever happened.

But if it did happen I bet it would happen on the team where the former HC gets fired but then turns around and agrees to come back as either the OC or DC.

Old 12-10-2013   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You've got two guys who are HCs at the college level and have some NFL experience. They're both being talked about as HCs on the NFL level and the question is whether they'll choose to leave college to go to the NFL... as HCs. If Bill O'Brien is going to leave Penn State (which isn't a given), he's not going to do it to go to work as an OC to anyone other than the Patriots... and he's already HAD that job.
Old 12-10-2013   #32
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and Brady loved the guy. I'm sort of liking this. He just might become my favorite candidate.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #33
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This guy worked with Tom Brady for a year or two and Brady loved the guy. I'm sort of liking this. He just might become my favorite candidate.
I don't know anything about him other than what I've learned in this thread, but I have to admit, he looks like a viable and interesting candidate.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #34
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I don't know anything about him other than what I've learned in this thread, but I have to admit, he looks like a viable and interesting candidate.
He was the same guy who ripped Brady a new ******* on the sidelines Two years ago and Brady was arguing back. Brady said he was wrong after the game and that he needed to listen to his coach. Brady respected the hell out of him. He didn't have any problems getting in his star player's ass. I liked that about him. He was also the OC when Brady got his 2nd MVP season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He was the same guy who ripped Brady a new ******* on the sidelines Two years ago and Brady was arguing back. Brady said he was wrong after the game and that he needed to listen to his coach. Brady respected the hell out of him. He didn't have any problems getting in his star player's ass. I liked that about him. He was also the OC when Brady got his 2nd MVP season.
Awesomer and awesomer.
Old 12-10-2013   #36
MasterCush
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respectedMasterCush is a quality contributor and well respected

Wikipedia Says:

In January 2013, O'Brien interviewed for the head coaching position with the Cleveland Browns[15] and Philadelphia Eagles. However, he decided to remain at Penn State, stating: "Iím not a one-and-done guy. I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and thatís what I am going to do. Iím not gonna cut and run after one year, thatís for sure."[16]
MasterCush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #37
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

For where this franchise is at, O'Brien is a great candidate to interview.
Old 12-10-2013   #38
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, HC @ a top college program probably better than a lot of NFL jobs. Even with scandal, Penn state is top 20 program ( in terms of funding and prestige) and probably better than being the head coach at the bottom 12 or so NFL jobs.
Old 12-10-2013   #39
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'd be surprised if he left Penn State.

Worth doing due diligence on though.
Yeah, his name will only get hotter. Not to mention he seems to want to see the thing through. I like the job he's done.
Old 12-10-2013   #40
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
For where this franchise is at, O'Brien is a great candidate to interview.
This. I would be behind this hire if it happened.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read