Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

John McClain reports on ProFootballTalk Live the Texans want to talk to Penn State HC Bill O'Brien.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

1993 Brown (TE)
1994 Brown (ILB)
1995–1997 Georgia Tech (GA)
1998–2000 Georgia Tech (RB)
2001 Georgia Tech (OC/QB)
2002 Georgia Tech (Asst/OC/QB)
2003–2004 Maryland (RB)
2005–2006 Duke (OC/QB)
2007 New England Patriots (Asst)
2008 New England Patriots (WR)
2009–2010 New England Patriots (QB)
2011 New England Patriots (OC/QB)
2012–present Penn State
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #2
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Bill O'Brien

The dude who turned around Penn State? I don't watch much of the Nittany Lions but any guy who turns that program around after what happened to it has got to have some coaching skill. He's pretty young too, 45 or something?
Old 12-10-2013   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good. He's the guy I've lobbied for all along. IMO, the job he's done at Penn State is more impressive than what Shaw has done at Stanford.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Also having a background in offense can't hurt. I'd rather have him than most of these retreads that we keep hearing about.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Who knows, maybe he could be the first coach under the Belichick coaching tree to be sucfesfull as a head coach in the NFL.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I know next to nothing about O'Brien, but he commands mad respect around coaching circles in the NFL and colleges.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Good. He's the guy I've lobbied for all along. IMO, the job he's done at Penn State is more impressive than what Shaw has done at Stanford.
I don't know. They both have done great considering.
Old 12-10-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Based on my ignorance, I have no opinion on the man, but to say he's done a great job at Penn State is premature, I would think. One year in does not mean a thing. I say that for any college coach. How many of the current players were recruited by him? Probably more than any other first year coach because of the Penn St. situation, but for the most part, he's winning with the last regime's recruits. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give us much of an idea as to what kind of guys he tries to acquire - something that's been an issue in Houston.
Old 12-10-2013   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I don't know. They both have done great considering.
I'm not bashing Shaw. I just don't think his job was as hard as people make it out to be. Harbaugh rebuilt that program and Harbaugh stocked it. Then he left. Shaw has been charged with maintaining, which he has done. All of those studs that are NFL prospects right now weren't recruited by Shaw though.

O'Brien was handed a program that had just taken the biggest sanctions since SMU and has been *bowl eligible* both years. His team went 7-5 in a "power" conference this year despite having just 65 scholarship players. Not to mention a lot of their best upperclassmen transferred to avoid the sanctions. Many of those scholarship players are walk-ons who were awarded scholarships because they were available. He also took a former walk-on, Matt McGloin, and turned him into the Raiders current starting QB. Also, his true freshman QB this year looks like a future All-American. Going 15-9 under the circumstances is pretty darn impressive.

*They have a bowl ban because of sanctions so did not go to a bowl despite being eligible.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-10-2013   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach. I don't know of a single NFL coach who has ever had to go out and recruit his roster. They draft them and seeing a coach make his predecessors players work well is in my opinion a plus. Coaches have massive input when it comes to drafting players granted but they also have much more insight into what they're looking at as well as input from scouts and front office personnel. As long as they're drafting players without being the only guy in the room with input I'm comfortable with it.

If he can coach then that's what we're looking for. The law of averages says that sooner or later one of these Belichick guys is going to meet expectations. Why can't that guy be Bill O'Brien?
Old 12-10-2013   #11
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Based on my ignorance, I have no opinion on the man, but to say he's done a great job at Penn State is premature, I would think. One year in does not mean a thing. I say that for any college coach. How many of the current players were recruited by him? Probably more than any other first year coach because of the Penn St. situation, but for the most part, he's winning with the last regime's recruits. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give us much of an idea as to what kind of guys he tries to acquire - something that's been an issue in Houston.
I think they lost a lot of star players due to the all of the sanctions placed on them. He was basically doing what he did on a "rag tag" squad...from what I know.

And I think they lost scholarships or something or other. He has done good in a bad situation just not sure how well he will fare as a HC in the nfl. I don't know enough of him to make a distinction.
Old 12-10-2013   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two years.

Actually, he has done an amazing job considering the sanctions that have been leveled against Penn State. That was a program that easily could have tanked. With no bowl games for 4-5 years and a stigma on the program, he's been able to put two winning teams on the field. He was even able to upset Wisconsin. He's also, from what I understand, recruited 2 top-30 classes even with his hands tied behind his back.

He coached Matt McGloin to a great season and then turned around and coached a (I think) unheralded freshman QB to a Freshman of the Year prize. So he appears to be good with young QBs -- not to mention calling plays for Tom Brady in Brady's best statistical season.

I would love to get this guy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fair point seeing as how I hold it against Shaw that he's done what he's done with Harbaugh's recruits.

I will say thought that the true freshman QB that O'Brien recruited was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and looks like a future stud.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-10-2013   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He coached Matt McGloin to a great season and then turned around and coached a (I think) unheralded freshman QB to a Freshman of the Year prize. So he appears to be good with young QBs -- not to mention calling plays for Tom Brady in Brady's best statistical season.

I would love to get this guy.
Hackenberg was a 5-star recruit, as was the TE he recruited last year.

The impressive thing to me is that he was able to sell Penn State to the best QB and TE in the nation last year. Those guys signed with Penn State knowing that they would never be eligible to win a conference title or play in a bowl game.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-10-2013   #15
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes please. Great job at Penn St and Patriot pedigree.
Old 12-10-2013   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be surprised if he left Penn State.

Worth doing due diligence on though.
Old 12-10-2013   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Recruiting is the last thing I worry about when it comes to hiring a college coach.
The only thing it factors in with me is I want to see how a coach does with his own guys. We made excuses for Kubiak early on here because he was still getting his guys. Well, once he had an entire team comprised of his guys, he didn't do any better. So I say the same thing for NFL coaches, but you never really worry about an NFL head coach only getting a year, so their track record is generally more in line with reality.

But hey, I know very little about the guy, so no one should mistake my comments as negative toward him.
Old 12-10-2013   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Bortles beat O'Brien.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #19
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a brief conversation about him with John Harris who played with him at Brown. He said he would have mixed emotions about him coming to Houston. On one hand he knows the guy personally, and he knows he'll eventually get skewered in the media, as all coaches do and that wouldn't be pleasant for John. On the other he "trusts him as a ball coach and would kick the organization right in the ass". Sign me up for the Bill O'Brien fan club.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I had a brief conversation about him with John Harris who played with him at Brown. He said he would have mixed emotions about him coming to Houston. On one hand he knows the guy personally, and he knows he'll eventually get skewered in the media, as all coaches do and that wouldn't be pleasant for John. On the other he "trusts him as a ball coach and would kick the organization right in the ass". Sign me up for the Bill O'Brien fan club.
You had me at: kick the organization right in the ass.

Don't know much about Bill O'Brien, but, if he can do the above, let's bring him in for an interview.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read