Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-07-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fixing the OLine: Draft, FA, In-House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
I'm with you Wade Smith is gone after this yr and maybe Meyers. I was upset with the Williams Pick due to his injury history, I personally like Jones if we put him at C. The oline for me would be Dbo,Jones,Meyers,Brooks,Ques if we didn't get a olineman in the draft. If we do I put the oline as Dbo,Ques,Jones,Brooks,Rookie.
What history are you referring to? He tore his labrum and missed 4 games his last season and was healthy when he showed for training camp.
Old 12-07-2013   #22
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I remember He had a questionable knee thru college just never serious enough to where he needed surgery or needed to sit out games. Plus the microsurgery he got on the knee during training camp isn't the knee that gave him trouble in college.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping that Quessenberry's broken foot has healed, and that he has spent the past few months and next offseason in the weightroom getting bigger and stronger. I look forward to him batteling for a starting position at either LG or RT. I'm not counting on Brennan Williams for anything and we may never see a starting snap from him ever. I also think the Texans should take the best OT at the top of the 2nd round or trade up to the late 1st if a good one falls. With a new QB on the way we've got to solidify and protect our investment.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm hoping that Quessenberry's broken foot has healed....
I'm hoping they lied their as5es off & were just didn't want to use up a roster spot.
Old 12-08-2013   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have Jackson or Richardson in the 2nd or 3rd than hope Q or Jones is the answer .
Old 12-08-2013   #26
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 Texans

These are the players in jeopardy due to Cap:

1. Schaub $4M cap relief and reduces long term cap restrictions to sign Watt to 2015 extension.

2. Owen Daniel $4.5M. Unfortunately, too much time on the bench for his salary.

3. Daniel Manning $4.5M. This is likely the last resort salary cap cut.

4. I earlier had Ed Reed, but he's already gone.

Other personnel could be cut, but won't offer significant cap help after replacement cost is factored in.

Cushing, Brown and Hopkins are safe because of of cap issues.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #27
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
These are the players in jeopardy due to Cap:

1. Schaub $4M cap relief and reduces long term cap restrictions to sign Watt to 2015 extension.

2. Owen Daniel $4.5M. Unfortunately, too much time on the bench for his salary.

3. Daniel Manning $4.5M. This is likely the last resort salary cap cut.

4. I earlier had Ed Reed, but he's already gone.

Other personnel could be cut, but won't offer significant cap help after replacement cost is factored in.

Id prefer to extend manning, thus creating about 1.5 million in cap space this season....and I would consider cutting or trading Jjo.....but we better have a plan to get another good corner here....
Old 12-08-2013   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
They are safe because their play merits it.
Old 12-08-2013   #29
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Agreed that is just stupid to think we would cut any of those 3.
Old 12-08-2013   #30
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not to mention we get no relief in cutting them. It would actually cost us money (big money) to cut any of them.
Old 12-08-2013   #31
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Id prefer to extend manning, thus creating about 1.5 million in cap space this season....and I would consider cutting or trading Jjo.....but we better have a plan to get another good corner here....
Idk about extending Manning but keeping him yes I can live with a Duo of Dman and Swearinger. Now to Jjoe I think we keep him and Try for Justin Gilbert in the 2nd if there is no OG/OT the Texans like because Cb help is a must.
Old 12-08-2013   #32
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I would've played Ben Jones at lg from the get go and from what I saw in camp ,Quess should've been the rt. Quessenbury is gonna be a good rt. Great balance and feet,mean streak.
Old 12-08-2013   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep seeing people talking about how it's a must we grab 1 or even 2 Olinemen early and I couldn't disagree with that more.

Yeah if they are clearly the bpa, sure, but oline is not as in bad of shape as folks make it seem like IMO. We have some good young players, I think Ryan Harris is serviceable. I with FA's and what we currently have we can be ok.

This is not me saying DONT pick OL early in the draft, I just don't think it's so crucial that we do so meanwhile passing on, IMO, two of the biggest issues on this team outside of QB.

We absolutely have to fix this secondary and this pass rush. I don't know if we have any good pass rushers on this team. Coaches refuse to play anyone besides the guys who aren't getting it done....btw, small rant...I hope that this next coaching staff is not like this one where they don't play/keep guys who show more than guys who are starters. Kubiak drove me nuts with that and wade does too. Give guys a chance. We have to get better at player evaluation.

But yeah..we need to fix this defense something serious. Lots of suck on that side of the ball.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #34
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I keep seeing people talking about how it's a must we grab 1 or even 2 Olinemen early and I couldn't disagree with that more.

Yeah if they are clearly the bpa, sure, but oline is not as in bad of shape as folks make it seem like IMO. We have some good young players, I think Ryan Harris is serviceable. I with FA's and what we currently have we can be ok.

This is not me saying DONT pick OL early in the draft, I just don't think it's so crucial that we do so meanwhile passing on, IMO, two of the biggest issues on this team outside of QB.

We absolutely have to fix this secondary and this pass rush. I don't know if we have any good pass rushers on this team. Coaches refuse to play anyone besides the guys who aren't getting it done....btw, small rant...I hope that this next coaching staff is not like this one where they don't play/keep guys who show more than guys who are starters. Kubiak drove me nuts with that and wade does too. Give guys a chance. We have to get better at player evaluation.

But yeah..we need to fix this defense something serious. Lots of suck on that side of the ball.

^^^ This

Scoring points has not been so much the issue (unless we're playing Jax) but haven't been able to stop anyone
Old 12-08-2013   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You aren't going to be able to do all of that in 1 draft and add a QB.

This is why I would like to fix the OL/DL this yr and switch to a 4-3 after drafting Clowney. If you do this there wont be enough picks to fix the secondary.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #36
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We absolutely have to fix this secondary and this pass rush.
i agree, but i'd take the top tackle in the first and essentially finish the offense by plugging the only real hole (depending on what happens at QB). then you can spend the entire rest of the draft going BPA on defense. it's much easier to do that than to hope to land a starter at a specific position later on ... IMO. of course if we finish 1st drafting a tackle might be overreaching, but in that scenario i'd hope to trade down and follow the path.
Old 12-08-2013   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Tennessee will probably make a coaching change, if so our new coach might consider Bruce Matthews as new OL coach? I feel there is plenty of talent here already, don't forget two young tackles are returning 3rd rd. pick Brennan Williams & 6th rd. David Quessenberry.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Tennessee will probably make a coaching change, if so our new coach might consider Bruce Matthews as new OL coach? I feel there is plenty of talent here already, don't forget two young tackles are returning 3rd rd. pick Brennan Williams & 6th rd. David Quessenberry.
I'm actually hoping that Tennessee does kick Munchak and his staff to the curb so we can bring Munch and Matthews back here to help build the offensive line. I'd be very surprised if these two men couldn't coach up an OL.
Old 12-09-2013   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

im not the GM so I don't waste my time wit dis and apperantly rick smith does not either MUHAHAHAHAHA
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #40
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Trade down all the way out of the first round, and get a boatload of seconds.

I'm sick of hearing this "we've got way too much talent" blah blah.
Agree with trading down, not out of the round but if we don't like anyone at the top then let's not force it. Trade down and pick up some gold later.

But I have a problem with the second part of your post. Well, we have a ton of STARTING talent. But we don't have a ton of depth. Since our team is cursed with injuries, we don't have depth. Bolster the depth. Our team has a ****load of talent, but we're shallow.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read