Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2013   #81
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grantland's Latest Take on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
annnnd Keenum is a backup "At Best"

sure he can make all the throws, on a college level and against inferior teams, doesn't mean he can do it on a NFL level. Hell, none of the QBs in this draft scream #1 pick, so it isn't about me not liking Bridgwater, just not impressed and don't think he is worth the pick. Sorry if my opinion got your panties in a wad. I know a good doctor for that...

No, not all successful QBs are from power conferences but MOST come from schools better than Louisville. I wont get into the fact the best team he played all year was UCF and lost.

I have watched plenty of Louisville games and was absolutely unimpressed with Bridgewater. He looked like the typical "great college" QB but I see him washing out as an NFL QB.

Yes average arm at best maybe a slight above average but nothing special, don't give a damn how beautiful of a ball he throws. Schaub threw a beautiful ball and for the most part was accurate, and he damn sure isn't a NFL starter so that doesn't mean squat if the QB cannot read a defense.

so when the Texans take him #1 and in 3 years the kid looks like David Carr, where should I send the "I told you so" card?
Yes, the 2013 sugar bowl was against an inferior team.... SMH

get a clue
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #82
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
clown post bro

i bet you are a joy to be around. please don't take your personal frustrations and failures out on your dog.
clown response...

I am a joy because I tell the truth and the truth will come out here in about 5 months...

Clown post because you can't see the forest for the trees? I'll be sending you a "I told you so" card as well...

Nothing personal about it, it is a simple opinion that many will share when the combine comes around....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #83
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
Yes, the 2013 sugar bowl was against an inferior team.... SMH

get a clue
Oh that's right because beating 1 team with a decent record makes an NFL QB...

I have the clue, would you like to borrow it?

Sugar bowl stats...

BRIDGEWATER, T. 20-32-1 266 2

WOW I mean I was totally wrong! Texans must draft this kid #1, I mean an average game from an average QB is EXACTLY the Texans style.

Thank you for bringing me into the light...

Old 12-08-2013   #84
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then get ready for more mediocrity in the near Texans future because Bridgewater is NOT a franchise QB. He will be a backup at best. NOTHING about this kid screams franchise QB...

Mediocre arm with mediocre talent playing in a mediocre conference. Oh yeah, THAT screams #1 over all pick...
Quote:
annnnd Keenum is a backup "At Best"

sure he can make all the throws, on a college level and against inferior teams, doesn't mean he can do it on a NFL level. Hell, none of the QBs in this draft scream #1 pick, so it isn't about me not liking Bridgwater, just not impressed and don't think he is worth the pick. Sorry if my opinion got your panties in a wad. I know a good doctor for that...

No, not all successful QBs are from power conferences but MOST come from schools better than Louisville. I wont get into the fact the best team he played all year was UCF and lost.

I have watched plenty of Louisville games and was absolutely unimpressed with Bridgewater. He looked like the typical "great college" QB but I see him washing out as an NFL QB.

Yes average arm at best maybe a slight above average but nothing special, don't give a damn how beautiful of a ball he throws. Schaub threw a beautiful ball and for the most part was accurate, and he damn sure isn't a NFL starter so that doesn't mean squat if the QB cannot read a defense.

so when the Texans take him #1 and in 3 years the kid looks like David Carr, where should I send the "I told you so" card?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #85
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sugar bowl stats...

average game , what a shock.
The real story of that Sugar Bowl was the Gator 3 Offensive turnovers.
Old 12-08-2013   #86
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The real story of that Sugar Bowl was the Gator 3 Offensive turnovers.
Yes because Driskel was the QB...

Bridgewater was sacked 5 times in that game, so it wasn't totally on the Gator D.

Old 12-08-2013   #87
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sugar bowl stats...

WOW I mean I was totally wrong! Texans must draft this kid #1, I mean an average game from an average QB is EXACTLY the Texans style.

Thank you for bringing me into the light...

I don't have a problem with your opinion. You're not impressed with him, that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind with this post, merely just add some perspective to it.

Florida's starting defense vs. Louisville

DE - Dominique Easley
- Considered a 1st rd prospect this year, but tore his acl early in the year. If he declares will probably be a 2nd round pick

NT - Omar Hunter
- UDFA for the Steelers

DT - Shariff Floyd
- 23rd overall pick by Vikings

BUCK - Lerentee McCray
- UDFA for the Broncos

OLB - Neiron Ball
- Currently a junior OLB for UF

MLB - Jonathan Bostic
- 50th overall pick by the Bears

NICKEL - Loucheiz Purifoy
- Projected as a 3rd round pick for this year's draft

CB - Jaylen Watkins
- Projected as a 5th round pick for this year's draft

SS - Matt Elam
- 32nd overall pick by the Ravens

FS - Josh Evans
- 169th overall pick by the Jaguars

CB - Marcus Roberson
- Projected as a 2nd round pick for this year's draft

Keep in mind that, more than likely, the only players from that Louisville offense that will be drafted are Bridgewater and his WR DeVante Parker. OG Alex Kupper was an UDFA the Texans stashed on their practice squad.

If you watched the game, Bridgewater was not average. He played a very impressive game against a stacked defense and had little talent to work with against it. That's why so many people were impressed with this one game.

FWIW, I agree with you that body of work is more important than one game.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't have a problem with your opinion. You're not impressed with him, that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind with this post, merely just add some perspective to it.

Florida's starting defense vs. Louisville

DE - Dominique Easley
- Considered a 1st rd prospect this year, but tore his acl early in the year. If he declares will probably be a 2nd round pick

NT - Omar Hunter
- UDFA for the Steelers

DT - Shariff Floyd
- 23rd overall pick by Vikings

BUCK - Lerentee McCray
- UDFA for the Broncos

OLB - Neiron Ball
- Currently a junior OLB for UF

MLB - Jonathan Bostic
- 50th overall pick by the Bears

NICKEL - Loucheiz Purifoy
- Projected as a 3rd round pick for this year's draft

CB - Jaylen Watkins
- Projected as a 5th round pick for this year's draft

SS - Matt Elam
- 32nd overall pick by the Ravens

FS - Josh Evans
- 169th overall pick by the Jaguars

CB - Marcus Roberson
- Projected as a 2nd round pick for this year's draft

Keep in mind that, more than likely, the only players from that Louisville offense that will be drafted are Bridgewater and his WR DeVante Parker. OG Alex Kupper was an UDFA the Texans stashed on their practice squad.

If you watched the game, Bridgewater was not average. He played a very impressive game against a stacked defense and had little talent to work with against it. That's why so many people were impressed with this one game.

FWIW, I agree with you that body of work is more important than one game.
Remember I mentioned how Keenum out scored Bama 17 points in his rookie year (he was splitting time with another QB who was part of the reasons UH was in a big hole.)

Alabama started having problem after that game, what with all the suspensions and injuries.

That defense there was as close to an NFL defense that you will find in college.

Keenum outplayed Bridgewater against a better defense as a rookie.
What's so hot about Teddy?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #89
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Remember I mentioned how Keenum out scored Bama 17 points in his rookie year (he was splitting time with another QB who was part of the reasons UH was in a big hole.)

Alabama started having problem after that game, what with all the suspensions and injuries.

That defense there was as close to an NFL defense that you will find in college.

Keenum outplayed Bridgewater against a better defense as a rookie.
What's so hot about Teddy?
That's not a good comparison at all.

Case Keenum vs. Alabama
11/17 for 132 yards with 1 TD and 2 INT's (54.8 QBR)

Teddy Bridgewater vs. Florida
20/32 for 266 yards with 2 TD's and 1 INT (88.6 QBR)

Not to mention that UF's defense last year was ranked #3 in the country and had 4 starters drafted last year with 4 more projected to go this year. That's 8 guys drafted and 2 UDFA's on that UF defense.

That Alabama team went 7-5 in Saban's 1st year and ranked 31st in defense. That team was recruited by Mike Shula and was nowhere near as talented as the current Alabama teams. That defense had 3 starters eventually drafted; Rashad Johnson, Rolando McClain (true freshman in 07), and Kareem Jackson (true freshman in 07). Brandon Deaderick and Javier Arenas were also drafted off that defense, but were not starters in 07.

- The Immortal Bo

Last edited by WolverineFan; 12-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #90
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Florida lost the SEC championship game and played in the Sugar Bowl like they really didn't want to be there.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #91
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 858 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Uncle Rico. I'll be upset if we don't draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. We need to add another beast up front to pair with J.J. Watt, especially if we move to a 4-3 defense depending on the new coaching staff.
I'd be willing to bet you the one player we won't draft (regardless where we pick) is Jadeveon Clowney.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #92
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
I'd be willing to bet you the one player we won't draft (regardless where we pick) is Jadeveon Clowney.
Yeah, if we take Clowney over Barr... actually, we won't. If Barr is there there is no way you pass on a guy like him for Mario Williams 2.0
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #93
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
IIRC, Florida lost the SEC championship game and played in the Sugar Bowl like they really didn't want to be there.
Georgia and Alabama played the SEC Championship game. However if FLA had an above avg QB they likely would be NC.
Old 12-08-2013   #94
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linca View Post
What makes you think Bridgewater is the answer? He has not looked impressive in a lot of his starts including; UH, Memphis, Rutgers and Cincinnati. I don't get this Teddy fever. If you were to take any the other 1st or 2nd round quarterbacks and play those same teams it would be a total blow out.

He plays in the AAC, these are NOT GOOD DEFENSES IN COLLEGE. He has had one good victory over Florida but he has really regressed since then.
Regressed? Do u even watch college football. Just because the guy is smooth,not flashy,fundementally sound,mechanically on point,doesn't mean he's regressed. Even those who make the arguments against bridgewater,no one has ever said he's regressed.
Old 12-08-2013   #95
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you consider Teddy to be a franchise QB.

Next yr off of the top of my head I can name 5 QB's I like as much or more than Bridgewater. This yr is a deep class it's time to build the trenches and create the depth the roster has always lacked. Get the QB in 2015. It wont cost as much as you think to trade up and get one of these guys. I worry about Rick picking the players for the Texans. I've been underwhelmed by his performance thus far.

1. Winston
2. Hogan
3.Petty
4. Hundley
5. Mariota
I hope u don't feel like I'm trolling you because I'm not. I just always find it amusing when you list these guys aside from maybe winston. I like winston a lot,but he doesn't read the field either because his wrs are winning early. Not his fault. Mariotta will not throw a guy open. When they played stanford a game in which your other favorite threw for like 100 yds,mariotta kept pulling the ball down becase guys weren't open as much as he's used to seeing. Hundley is very,very inconsistent. All of these guys with the exception of winston are in the same yr of development as bridgewater yet he's light years ahead of those guys in terms of making throws into windows,game management at the los,and just mentally. If bridgewater goes back,which I doubt,he will still be ahead of those guys. In the case of those guys,I guess we're suppose to sit back through another 3 win season right.

Again,this trenches warefare you bring up,which I do like,you have to tell me why the texans can't do it in the mid to later rds.When they were so called realy good on the o-line, they had brown(late 1st),smith(journeyman)meyers(5th rd),briesel(udfa),and winston(3rd) as their trench guys. On dl,which I think they have been too small feature jj(11th pick 1st rd) , ninja(was a 4th rd ,fa). If they get a big nt who can play,get crick in at lde,play jones at lg and quess at rt,I think they're gonna be pretty good in the trenches. That wouldn't rule meout from having competetion at those spots.

Every draft,this board wants to trade down,but someone has to wanna trade up and give up picks which is not always the case. For all the good rivers,nugent,and merriman did immediately,the chargers with rivers haven't won a sb nor even been to a conf title game. Is that to say it was a bad trade? No,but eli has 2 rings,rivers has none.The rg3 trade has netted the rams exactly what? Brockers,austin(whom they gave up picks acquired to get),jenkins,and whomever they get this year. Sounds good doesn't it,but look at bradford who isn't the answer. At least rg3 won the won the division his 1st season and looks closer,despite the struggles this year as being the guy vs bradford. Now the rams will miss the playoffs for the 12th straight season and still don't have a qb.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read