Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should be fired next?
Secondary coach 10 24.39%
Secondary scout/s 10 24.39%
Other 30 73.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2013   #41
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who should get fired next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Rick Smith...you remember how bad we thought David Gibbs was in 2010 well he just fielded a defense at UH that led the nation in turnovers caused. We thought it was him in 2010 and now looking back you can see it was a talent issue.
Dude, I want Rick Smith gone as much as the other guy (see the title under my user name), but Gibbs succeeding at UH means nothing. The level of competition in the NFL and C-USA is completely different.

It's a lot simpler than that. Just look at the draft picks from the last 5 years. A lot of them, especially the mid to late round draft picks, have turned out to be complete busts. I remember at the beginning of the season when Rick Smith was getting praise for having so many UDFA on the roster. Many never stopped to think maybe that was a bad thing that our team could field so many UDFAs. Maybe it was a testament to our lack of depth.

All I see are bad decisions, from Ahman Green to Ed Reed. Getting rid of Glover Quin and replacing him with an aging/declining Reed? Total Rick Smith move. Cutting Eric Winston, losing our RG, and completely decimating the right side of the offensive line COULDN'T have been a good move, yet we had to ruin the continuity because of cap issues. Rick Smith has failed this team, and he's got to go along with Kubiak and Marciano.
Old 12-07-2013   #42
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40976 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #43
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith

The GM has to be concerned with the long term view of the team. Rick has been year to year worried about saving his job. He should have traded Tate this year when we might have got a 1st round draft choice for him just to point out most recent example.

See Morey for Rockets he built up talent and used them as chips to continuously make the Rockets a force. Smith just rents his players or overpays for others. (See Reed, Schaub, and others)

I can hear it now " Rick Smith just can't improve this team because of the cap."
Guess what Smith is the reason the Texans are in this situation.

McNair thinks this team is much more talented than it really is. That is the main reason I guess McNair hasn't gotten rid of Smith. Seriously Smith is the person in the brain trust with the most football knowledge on this organization? We are still drowning then.

See his resume and highlights
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/st...3-5f875710e9b2

Schaub, Yates, Brooks Reed, Mercilus, trading DeMeco, KJ, and Crick are mentioned as a few of his GREAT moves. SERIOUSLY!!!!?????

I am still pissed because I see at BEST intermittent success for this franchise.

Kind of like "Even a blind hog finds an acorn" I think sums up our time with Smith in charge.

Also don't like snakes. The right thing was for Smith to fall on the sword also instead of using it to stab Kubiak.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by gafftop; 12-07-2013 at 10:05 AM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #44
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 80305 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

First and foremost if they are going to clean house, it should be top to bottom. Anything less is incomplete and is like cutting out half of a tumor and seeing how things go. The fact is whomever comes in to be the HC will want his own people and not leftovers unless McNair forces them on him. And who in their right mind would start out that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I find it hard to blame the scouts when Wade is the one running Brice McCain out there to cover Julian Edelman and Jeff Tarpinian to cover Rob Gronkowski man-to-man.

Everyone knows we are going to run man coverage in the red zone. There are ways to beat man coverage. If you know a team is going to run man coverage then you can design your offensive plan to specifically exploit man coverage. Wade doesn't seem to understand this. That has nothing to do with scouts and everything to do with coaching.
Seems to me like most everyone was just running rub routes (picks) on the the Texans D especially in the red zone. You would think that Wade might consider switching on the rub like they do in basketball, but from watching the games it seems like that never crossed his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't see how this isn't a complete and total house-cleaning.

I don't think they're going to make any more changes (except for maybe Bullock) until the hour after the last game. And then it's everybody.

I agree with this, but if Smith is not also cast off, then it is NOT a house cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I agree almost completely with you. The only thing short of a clean house will be Rick Smith. I think he's sticking around.
Sadly I agree. If you as the owner are fed up, cut em all loose and start over, but Uncle Bob believes the Texans will emulate the Colts and turn it around in 1 year, even though it will be new offensive and defensive schemes most likely and allot of different personnel.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #45
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Sadly I agree. If you as the owner are fed up, cut em all loose and start over, but Uncle Bob believes the Texans will emulate the Colts and turn it around in 1 year, even though it will be new offensive and defensive schemes most likely and allot of different personnel.
Rasputin has been in his ear. It was easier to overlook Smith's dismal failings as a GM when he was the likable guy int he background. However, after seeing him publicly throw the guy who hired him under the bus just to save his own skin, it's now apparent that was just a veneer...
Old 12-08-2013   #46
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Training staff should be gone immediately. Sick of the injuries.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #47
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

Obama
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #48
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post

This is a priority, conditioning coaches/personnel have been abysmal the past two seasons.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
This is a priority, conditioning coaches/personnel have been abysmal the past two seasons.
The Texans have gone through at least four different training staffs along with wholesale equipment and methodology changes in their existence. Still fans see injuries and blame the staff. Injuries are normal in the NFL.
Old 12-08-2013   #50
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Drew Dougherty lol, Am I the only one who feels like this guy is a snake in the grass, He seems like the type of person to smile in your face, then go tell management things about you to get you fired, because he's insecure about loosing his job.. what happened to that one guy who was doing Texans TV with him, he got replaced by Deepi and I barly even see her on there any more

Maybe its just me tho lol
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #51
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The Texans have gone through at least four different training staffs along with wholesale equipment and methodology changes in their existence. Still fans see injuries and blame the staff. Injuries are normal in the NFL.

Maybe it's because I'm a Suns fan and I see how a training staff makes such a difference. Maybe it doesn't matter as much in the NFL since it's so physical regardless.

Still think there's something to it. When did the last change occur?
Old 12-08-2013   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe it's because I'm a Suns fan and I see how a training staff makes such a difference. Maybe it doesn't matter as much in the NFL since it's so physical regardless.

Still think there's something to it. When did the last change occur?
Cedric Smith got here in 2010. In 2012 he was named Stength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by the S&C coaches.
Old 12-08-2013   #53
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

That's pretty crazy considering we've been so destroyed the last three years. Eh.
Old 12-08-2013   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Rasputin has been in his ear. It was easier to overlook Smith's dismal failings as a GM when he was the likable guy int he background. However, after seeing him publicly throw the guy who hired him under the bus just to save his own skin, it's now apparent that was just a veneer...
Rick Smith = teflon

The appocalypse is near. Surreal and SB agreeing.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Rick Smith

The GM has to be concerned with the long term view of the team. Rick has been year to year worried about saving his job. He should have traded Tate this year when we might have got a 1st round draft choice for him just to point out most recent example.

See Morey for Rockets he built up talent and used them as chips to continuously make the Rockets a force. Smith just rents his players or overpays for others. (See Reed, Schaub, and others)

I can hear it now " Rick Smith just can't improve this team because of the cap."
Guess what Smith is the reason the Texans are in this situation.

McNair thinks this team is much more talented than it really is. That is the main reason I guess McNair hasn't gotten rid of Smith. Seriously Smith is the person in the brain trust with the most football knowledge on this organization? We are still drowning then.

See his resume and highlights
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/st...3-5f875710e9b2

Schaub, Yates, Brooks Reed, Mercilus, trading DeMeco, KJ, and Crick are mentioned as a few of his GREAT moves. SERIOUSLY!!!!?????

I am still pissed because I see at BEST intermittent success for this franchise.

Kind of like "Even a blind hog finds an acorn" I think sums up our time with Smith in charge.

Also don't like snakes. The right thing was for Smith to fall on the sword also instead of using it to stab Kubiak.

Just my opinion.
Repped

The snake thing is spot on.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #56
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Repped

The snake thing is spot on.
Although Kubiak and Smith did improve this team from Dom's era(this was really a bottom of Texan's short history), we now need to improve from Kubiak's era. If we are to look for GM, is there Morey like GM available? (I am not familiar with GM area of search)
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read