Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2013   #1001
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90207 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I hope JFF draft fans watched the last two games. He's an elite scrambler, and that's about it. He doesn't make decisions fast enough to compete at the NFL level, he hangs on to the ball waaaaaaaaaaay too long most of the time. Evans couldn't bail him out, so they lose, again. As an Aggie fan, I hope he drafts. We need someone new at the helm.
He gets most of his rushing yards on scrambles and broken plays. Very rarely does he do it on designed runs. LSU and Missouri both have good fronts that can rush the passer. They got after him, but kept him in the pocket and took that part of his game away. His struggles were obvious. In the two games against LSU and Missouri....

40/76 (52.6%) for 419 yards with 2 TD's and 2 INT's.
23 rushes for 75 yards.

He has improved his pocket passing this year, but his game is still reliant on getting out of the pocket and improvising. Keep him contained to the pocket the entire game and he's nowhere near as effective. That's been my main criticism of him all year long. This is exactly how NFL teams will attack him and he hasn't proven that he can succeed as a pocket passer.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-01-2013   #1002
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope manziel goes to Jacksonville or Tennessee. I do not want.
Old 12-01-2013   #1003
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

His WRs failed him. He's also playing with a thumb injury on his throwing hand. But he made bad decisions, and that's on him.

I'm ready for some Kenny Hill/Kyle Allen.
Old 12-01-2013   #1004
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
His WRs failed him. He's also playing with a thumb injury on his throwing hand. But he made bad decisions, and that's on him.

Yeah, he was getting absolutely no help from his wideouts, same with the LSU game.
Old 12-01-2013   #1005
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

WRs definitely have an argument that they got no help from their QB..
Old 12-01-2013   #1006
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
WRs definitely have an argument that they got no help from their QB..

From what I saw WR were running poor routes and were not in sinc. The OL got abused in pass pro. Don't really blame WR or QB as much as I do Sumlin. The disconnect was a sign of poor coaching. Sumlin teams play loose and not as well prepared as a Shaw, Fisher, Saban, Richt, Miles teams just name a few.
Old 12-01-2013   #1007
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
From what I saw WR were running poor routes and were not in sinc.
Not really a comment on Manziel - Evans sure does get away with a lot of offensive pass interference. That isn't going to fly in the NFL.
Old 12-01-2013   #1008
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90207 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not really a comment on Manziel - Evans sure does get away with a lot of offensive pass interference. That isn't going to fly in the NFL.
While I do agree with your premise, the NFL rarely calls it even though they do have stricter rules than the college game. I'd be more worried about a defender that plays physical (Darqueze Denard is a great example) than a receiver who does.

It's rare nowadays to see a play in the NFL where the defender is noticeably more physical than the receiver. Receivers get a ton of leeway because of the new rules and that's why PI is called at about a 95% rate on the defense.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-01-2013   #1009
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
While I do agree with your premise, the NFL rarely calls it even though they do have stricter rules than the college game. I'd be more worried about a defender that plays physical (Darqueze Denard is a great example) than a receiver who does.
I agree generally it is a rare call even in the NFL, but he is dumb about it and it looks habitual. He isn't getting a little shove in for separation while playing hand games with the defender. He is doing stuff like grabbing jersey and pulling backwards to slingshot himself by and that is going to get flagged in a heartbeat. More importantly, how is he going to look if he drops all of it in the NFL?
Old 12-01-2013   #1010
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I agree generally it is a rare call even in the NFL, but he is dumb about it and it looks habitual. He isn't getting a little shove in for separation while playing hand games with the defender. He is doing stuff like grabbing jersey and pulling backwards to slingshot himself by and that is going to get flagged in a heartbeat. More importantly, how is he going to look if he drops all of it in the NFL?
Very true. LSU pressed him all game and was physical at the line of scrimmage and he was clueless as how to beat it. He's obviously still very raw as a WR. He has the physical skills, but is lacking the mental and technical skills that make guys like Dre and Megatron so good.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-02-2013   #1011
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From what I saw WR were running poor routes and were not in sinc. The OL got abused in pass pro. Don't really blame WR or QB as much as I do Sumlin. The disconnect was a sign of poor coaching. Sumlin teams play loose and not as well prepared as a Shaw, Fisher, Saban, Richt, Miles teams just name a few.
I don't think that it's really Sumlin that's to blame. Clarence McKinney is not as good an OC as Kingsbury was, I think. Him and Manziel had a kind of rapport I do not see with McKinney.

Sumlin did rely on the run game more than before, and I liked that. A&M has an SEC quality running attack if it actually deigns to use it. Not using it in the LSU game to help out Manziel drove me nuts.

In all truthfulness I'm ready to have a true pocket passer in the Sumlin system in Kyle Allen. I wanna see a guy throw a few more strikes in the system, not screens and little dumpoffs every other passing play.
Old 12-08-2013   #1012
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas A&M UniversityVerified account ‏@TAMU

RT @aggiefootball: Take a look at Johnny Manziel's passing improvements since his Heisman winning campaign #12thman pic.twitter.com/7JKpOOepyA

https://twitter.com/TAMU/status/409842438229204992
Old 12-08-2013   #1013
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texas A&M UniversityVerified account ‏@TAMU

RT @aggiefootball: Take a look at Johnny Manziel's passing improvements since his Heisman winning campaign #12thman pic.twitter.com/7JKpOOepyA

https://twitter.com/TAMU/status/409842438229204992
He's still 6 foot .
Old 12-10-2013   #1014
Texian
Hall of Fame

photoChase Engel@CutToThe_Chase_15m

#AskInsider If Bridgewater is the #1 QB, who would be the next to go?

photoMel Kiper Jr.@MelKiperESPN13m

Honestly, right now it would be Johnny Manziel .@CutToThe_Chase_ #AskInsider es.pn/1cdpQ6x
Old 12-10-2013   #1015
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

Don't forget, he was also playing with an injured throwing shoulder. I challenge any of you to try throwing accurately and with strength when you can't grip the football and your shoulder hurts every time you sling it. It shows his toughness that he gutted it out, but the fact is he shouldn't have been playing those last two games.
Old 12-10-2013   #1016
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Don't forget, he was also playing with an injured throwing shoulder. I challenge any of you to try throwing accurately and with strength when you can't grip the football and your shoulder hurts every time you sling it. It shows his toughness that he gutted it out, but the fact is he shouldn't have been playing those last two games.
I've always been impressed by his toughness. The kid is a gamer.

However, his style of play has always been a huge criticism against him. Look how banged up he has been this year. He just won't be able to sustain this style of play at the next level. He's going to have to rely much more on his pocket passing ability instead of the freelancing, improvisational stuff he gets away with now.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-10-2013   #1017
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I really feel like Kenny Hill should have been in those games. I mean, worst case scenario, A&M loses - which is what happened anyway. Besides, I've heard good things about the kid. Apparently he's a great player.
Old 12-10-2013   #1018
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:

However, his style of play has always been a huge criticism against him. Look how banged up he has been this year. He just won't be able to sustain this style of play at the next level. He's going to have to rely much more on his pocket passing ability instead of the freelancing, improvisational stuff he gets away with now.
Not only that, but the dude is aggressive to boot. He doesn't slide, he lowers the shoulder and tries to take the guy out. He's laid out college players, even a couple linebackers here and there but in the NFL that is simply asking for a career ending injury.
Old 12-10-2013   #1019
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Won't entirely disagree, but the main injury this year was his shoulder, and he injured that the same way Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone: his shoulder was driven into the turf with a defender on top of him. It doesn't seem to me that he's more injury-prone than anyone else.
Old 12-10-2013   #1020
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
and a sprained knee and a sprained thumb on his throwing hand to go with that sprained shoulder. And didn't miss a game.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read