Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #161
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak just got fired

No offense to either side (hate him) (like him) Kubiak is a mediocre head coach. Simple as that, could even say he was a losing coach because thanks to this losing streak it pushed his record below .500

He inherited a 2-14 team and he most likely will leave behind a 2-14 team.

His offensive system when run properly under ideal circumstances is a tried and true set of plays. That is without question and the numbers bear that out, but too many football games come down to critical, split second decisions and he just didnt have the knack for it as the head coach.

He'll keep coaching, and his offensive teams will continue to be top 10, will he get another shot as the top dog? Will he ever win again without having a HOF QB?
Old 12-07-2013   #162
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Kubiak's system was fairly rigid and he believed in it totally. I understand people that didn't like the style (slow, plodding, clock running...) or the lack of Manning style audibles. Can't disagree with you there.
I think the clock burning aspect of the system was a double edged sword. If you weren't scoring in the red zone, then you were burning away too much opportunity. And red zone scoring is more difficult for the smaller linemen of a ZBS against a compressed defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Kubiak's time is over. He had plenty of reasons to be fired. He's gone so I don't need to go over them again. Winning the division and a playoff game twice without an elite QB & creating an NFL culture from the crap he started with won't be included in those. You act like he's the worst coach in NFL history. He was an average head coach. He did the Texans good - he just didn't do good enough. Time to move on.
Well said.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #163
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Klein Kubiak @Klein_Kubiak_84

Tough times don't last....tough people do!
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #164
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
Dave Campo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Several years passed between Campo's gig as HC of the boys and coming back as DC. He actually worked for both the Browns and the Jags in between.

Gunther Cunningham did the same thing with the Chiefs.

I think there's a huge difference between these two situations and what was suggested about bringing Kubes back to be OC next season (which is an absolute horrible idea btw).

Very close Heath but as ChampionTexan said I don't think any head coach has ever stepped down from the top and taken over as an OC, DC, or position coach. Time has to go by and even then it's very uncommon.
Old 12-07-2013   #165
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
No offense to either side (hate him) (like him) Kubiak is a mediocre head coach. Simple as that, could even say he was a losing coach because thanks to this losing streak it pushed his record below .500

He inherited a 2-14 team and he most likely will leave behind a 2-14 team.

His offensive system when run properly under ideal circumstances is a tried and true set of plays. That is without question and the numbers bear that out, but too many football games come down to critical, split second decisions and he just didnt have the knack for it as the head coach.

He'll keep coaching, and his offensive teams will continue to be top 10, will he get another shot as the top dog? Will he ever win again without having a HOF QB?
I disagree with the bolded. IMO, defenses have figured out
that the way to beat Kubiak's offense is just to play disciplined football. Stay at home and take care of your responsibilities. That makes the "is it a run or a pass" question mostly moot. It didn't help that Schaub and Kubiak were as predictable as the sun rising in the East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I think the clock burning aspect of the system was a double edged sword. If you weren't scoring in the red zone, then you were burning away too much opportunity. And red zone scoring is more difficult for the smaller linemen of a ZBS against a compressed defense.
I see Kubiak's play calling as the limiting factor in the RZ not the ZBS or the size of the OL. I also think it was a vicious cycle with Kubiak and Schaub. Both limited each other but were too joined at the hip to make the changes that were needed. I put that on the coach much more so than the player. McNair seems to agree with some of his comments during the ppress conference.
Old 12-07-2013   #166
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

sad to see kubes going eventhough I realise its time for somebody fresh to come in. I always liked him. he seemed like a good person who treated people fairly and came across as real. I know some ppl say he was too reserved and displayed a lack of leadership but I for one have a lot more time for coaches who act like men and treat their players as men than the rah rah coaches, who just come across as fake
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #167
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Mcnair, in the press conference, mentioned something about "a coach can't think too much like a player. The goals of the player may not be the same as the goals of the organization, and a coach has to know the difference."

This was after Mcnair was asked if Kubiak benching Case for Schaub AGAIN played a factor in Mcnair deciding to fire Kubiak.
Old 12-07-2013   #168
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

A facebook post from JJ Watt about three hours ago.....

Quote:
Coach Kub is a great man & always handles himself with class. I'm grateful for him giving me an opportunity in this league 3 years ago. Wishing him all the best as he moves on.
Cool post.
Old 12-08-2013   #169
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like Cushing is taking the firing a bit rough though. Eh, he's learning it's a business.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #170
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
why waste an organizational (an important one at that) position on a yes man? Especially since McNair has a neophyte football mind.
This in a nutshell is the underlying problem with this organization.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #171
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know how you'll sit down at your computer, check the board and see the same thread at the top for days at a time? You know how sometimes you're like "Not this **** again!" or other times you see the same thread and think it's new news when it's really old news and you say to yourself "Damn! I thought something else happened but it's that same old story! I wish people wouldn't keep bumping that thread"

This has not been a problem with "Kubiak just got fired"

Hard to find someone without a kind word to say about Gary and I'm sure he'll be fine. I don't want him coaching the football team I follow though and I'm pleased that our long Texans-National Nightmare is over.
Old 12-08-2013   #172
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the implosion really picked up steam when the three knuckleheads were outright released.

Just seems that way to me.

Old 12-08-2013   #173
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
...I'm pleased that our long Texans-National Nightmare is over.
I pray as much. However, I've got a feeling that whoever McNair/Smith decides to be our next HC, is going to decline for a "better" offer. & we'll see exactly who we are.

We're going to be stuck with Chan Gailey, like Buffalo was a couple of years ago & we'll go through that regime for 2-1/2 years.
Old 12-08-2013   #174
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Pure f'ing class

Sadly it didn't work out
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #175
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing personal. Good man, bad nfl head coach.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #176
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

****ing awesome. Makes me really sad it didn't work out here.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read