Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #41
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grantland's Latest Take on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
Man, it's gonna be fun watching Teddy every Sunday.

1.1 Bridgewater
2.1 Best RT avail
3.1 BPA
4.1 BPA
5.1 BPA
6.1 BPA
7.1 Kicker
Hyping up Teddy like he is a can't miss franchise QB prospect.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #42
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have to roll the dice because I don't see why a team would trade for our pick. I'd rather roll the dice on Teddy because it's incredibly hard to succeed in this league with mediocre QB play. Teddy isn't surrounded with talent like McCarron. He doesn't heave it up for grabs to a security blanket like Manziel is with Mike Evans. He works with a pretty bad OL and hardly any NFL WR talent. I don't think Clowney along side of Watt would be a game changing pick. The Chiefs have a crazy good defensive line, but I highly doubt Alex Smith would get them to the big dance.

Tough choice for the GM.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #43
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we aint going no were has long has rick smith is here

how do u think the new coach will feel don't u think he will want his own GM
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #44
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Hyping up Teddy like he is a can't miss franchise QB prospect.
IMO, he absolutely is a "can't miss, franchise QB".

I have no doubts about it.

Keep in mind I wanted us to draft Russell Wilson in the 1st round 2 years ago. I may not be a professional scout, but I put a lot of time in evaluating college QB's because I NEVER believed in Schaub.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #45
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Keep in mind I wanted us to draft Russell Wilson in the 1st round 2 years ago.
Quote:
I may not be a professional scout
, but I put a lot of time in evaluating college QB's because I NEVER believed in Schaub.
but did you stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night?

Old 12-08-2013   #46
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Uncle Rico. I'll be upset if we don't draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. We need to add another beast up front to pair with J.J. Watt, especially if we move to a 4-3 defense depending on the new coaching staff.
I love the measurables with Clowney dont get me wrong. 6'6/250 4.4 speed. Even with all that he has played to avoid injury this year and other than that hit from last year hasnt really done anything of note. Physical freak, but then come out character flaws that drive me nuts, in particular his affinity to ride with his entourage everywhere which just screams "strip club shooting" in the near future if true.

If defense is the path then go Barr, he's only to going to get better considering he's new to the position. Pass rushers will always make you look good if they pan out.

I'm also on the Teddy B fan brigade. I mean Jameis Winston is an ideal guy also, I can go to the 'he had a rough start to the game tonight' card and try to mount an arugment, but no need ... i know he's that good, but do a search and the first things you'll read are 'not enough evidence' on a rape charge. Not having enough evidence doesnt automatically mean innocent either, thats all im saying. So while Teddy B may not be considered true blue chip, I know what I see. He doesnt have Winstons Oline or WR's ... he's under duress ALOT, natural talent. Maybe not as athletic as Winston, but hes smart on the field and to me that translates more to the cerebral nature of the position at the next level vs just relying on pure athletic ability.

OR, trade down and make a smart move for a change, at some point in time Rick Smith is going to need to make some risky move/high reward type of moves and no draft would be better than this one. I'd be okay with a top rated Lineman and Johnny Football if for anything the pure pandemonium that would break out, the marketing orgy that would ensue and the epic QB battle in the offseason between he and Keenum.

LOL, man im watching SC and they are running the Winston interview ... OMG im even more sure that Teddy B is the guy. Winston does not seem that bright to me at all. Yikes "and higher, and higher and higher" LOL
Old 12-08-2013   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No clue what the problem is other than there is a time limit on how long you can edit. What do you want it to say?

I agree the key is whether Bridgewater is as highly coveted and big trades are rare. Likely not.

I hardly think a trade which is darn near spot on with the chart shows the chart to be irrelevant.

Now the Giants overpaid by the chart.
The last word of that post should be McCarron.

What do you think the chances to get a team to overpay for Bridgewater like they did for Manning would be?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #48
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The last word of that post should be McCarron.

What do you think the chances to get a team to overpay for Bridgewater like they did for Manning would be?
When teams trade down because there is a franchise qb available, it's because they are usually set at the qb position.

for example, the st. louis rams. they made the trade with washington because they were confident that they had the franchise qb in sam bradford.

if the texans are fortunate enough to have 1.1, we are in no position to trade down because we have no franchise qb. yes, we have other holes. but, in this day & age of the nfl, you do not build a successful team around a DL, OL, WR, etc... You do so around a QB. Having an epic DL with an average qb will get us no further than we have already been.

You take the franchise qb, and you don't look back.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When teams trade down because there is a franchise qb available, it's because they are usually set at the qb position.

for example, the st. louis rams. they made the trade with washington because they were confident that they had the franchise qb in sam bradford.

if the texans are fortunate enough to have 1.1, we are in no position to trade down because we have no franchise qb. yes, we have other holes. but, in this day & age of the nfl, you do not build a successful team around a DL, OL, WR, etc... You do so around a QB. Having an epic DL with an average qb will get us no further than we have already been.

You take the franchise qb, and you don't look back.
If you consider Teddy to be a franchise QB.

Next yr off of the top of my head I can name 5 QB's I like as much or more than Bridgewater. This yr is a deep class it's time to build the trenches and create the depth the roster has always lacked. Get the QB in 2015. It wont cost as much as you think to trade up and get one of these guys. I worry about Rick picking the players for the Texans. I've been underwhelmed by his performance thus far.

1. Winston
2. Hogan
3.Petty
4. Hundley
5. Mariota
Old 12-08-2013   #50
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Just the Texans luck to pick first in a deep qb draft but no real franchise QBs, while next year is looking better with at least one franchise qb and similar depth.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #51
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is it racist to ask to see Moon/Cunningham's rings?
No, but thanks for letting us know if you use rings as a judge of how good a quarterback was. We can safely ignore your opinions.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #52
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I enjoy Bill's writing.

My biggest issue with this analysis is that without knowing head coach, new way of doing business, hard to speak intelligently about the Texans future:

Things the piece ignores:

1. Problems with the GM. If you don't have a QB, you are dead in the water. If you have an average to below average GM, it's like having no good QB. Who knows what sort of GM Rick Smith will be once the rest of the more experienced Denver cartel has left the building? Theoretically, he could be better, but we have no evidence that training wheels off Rick Smith would be good at all. Dead.

2. If you have issues at GM, it puts a lot more pressure on getting the right head coach and assistant staff. We have no idea what direction they go.

3. QB changes are huge risk/reward propositions and hard to project. To hit at QB, you need 1 right guy, 2 right HC, OC, scheme, 3 good players around him to help development, 4 injury luck, in particular not getting injured during the learning process. We've mostly seen downside of QB development with the Texans, but that doesn't mean that is the only option. Just means that it is hard to project one way or another without knowing more details and actually seeing performance on the field. Picking high increases the chances of finding a guy who hits but we all know that it isn't a lock.

4. Some of the core players for the Texans are aging/declining/may be departing. Some players projected to be core players haven't produced yet--do they produce with better coaching. more experience? Don't know. Wade has had success with the DT, OLB position in other places. Not so much here other than moving JJ inside. Very few players having great years.
This is why I haven't done any mock drafts. Seems pointless until most of these questions are answered.
Old 12-08-2013   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
No, but thanks for letting us know if you use rings as a judge of how good a quarterback was. We can safely ignore your opinions.
Wrong

Cunnigham's Minnesota team was probably the best team the yr they lost to Atl in the NFC championship game. Cunningham failed to recognize a blitz and fumbled giving the Falcons a cheap TD. He generally played like crap in the 2nd half. The Vikings would've still made it to the SB, But Gary Andersen missed a GW FG and the Vike lost to the Falcons in OT. (The only FG Andersen missed all yr.)

Ask many posters here about Moon's ability to choke in the clutch. Buffalo?

Denver the yr before? Kansas City the yr after Buffalo?

The Oilers probably had the most talented team at the time. Jimmy Johnson practiced with his Cowboys against the Oilers and said he was glad they didn't have to face the Oilers in a SB.

It's almost criminal that a Moon led team didn't make it atleast to an AFC championship game.

Tell you what, dont just ignore my opinions. Put me on ignore That should make your life easier.
Old 12-08-2013   #54
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wrong

Cunnigham's Minnesota team was probably the best team the yr they lost to Atl in the NFC championship game. Cunningham failed to recognize a blitz and fumbled giving the Falcons a cheap TD. He generally played like crap in the 2nd half. The Vikings would've still made it to the SB, But Gary Andersen missed a GW FG and the Vike lost to the Falcons in OT. (The only FG Andersen missed all yr.)

Ask many posters here about Moon's ability to choke in the clutch. Buffalo?

Denver the yr before? Kansas City the yr after Buffalo?

The Oilers probably had the most talented team at the time. Jimmy Johnson practiced with his Cowboys against the Oilers and said he was glad they didn't have to face the Oilers in a SB.

It's almost criminal that a Moon led team didn't make it atleast to an AFC championship game.

Tell you what, dont just ignore my opinions. Put me on ignore That should make your life easier.
There was literally no point in making the RINGZ argument, however. It was really dumb of you.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
There was literally no point in making the RINGZ argument, however. It was really dumb of you.
Not the 1st dumb thing that I've done. Wont be the last, however I seem to be getting better with age.
Old 12-08-2013   #56
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
?

Since the Florida game....

268/382 (70.2%) for 3523 yards (9.2 y/a) with 28 TD's and 4 INT's.

You can not like him because he doesn't blowout UH. That's fine. But don't throw stuff like regression against the wall hoping it will stick. That is just simply inaccurate.
I'm sorry, but numbers against that competition mean little. We already have the guy with better numbers and he's still a question mark. No QB is going to do well without an improved right side o-line.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #57
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Franchise QB trumps franchise DL right?
Uh No!
Old 12-08-2013   #58
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Keep in mind I wanted us to draft Russell Wilson in the 1st round 2 years ago. I may not be a professional scout, but I put a lot of time in evaluating college QB's because I NEVER believed in Schaub.
I seem to have heard of several QBs coming out next year who would project higher than Bridgewater and QB depth (as opposed to quality) is notable this year. It's just not a QB or nothing year when it comes to the draft.
Old 12-08-2013   #59
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Uh No!
Prime Peyton Manning or Prime JJ Watt?
Old 12-08-2013   #60
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy is nice and all, but......

We should Wait for Winston!!!

In all seriousness, I don't know what route we should take. I'm just kind of taking this one on auto pilot for now. Gotta see what coach we bring in, and see what he wants.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read