Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-07-2013   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Clowney, then what?

What are our options?

If we invest our 1st rounder on a QB, what's it look like in the second?

Any interesting FAs coming up?

Brennan & Quiz.... are they in the mix?
Old 12-07-2013   #2
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fixing the OLine: Draft, FA, In-House

If we go with Clowney, I take a second round OT and a third round QB, swapping 3rd and 2nd as necessary. If we go with Bridgewater, I'd like to trade up and grab Brandon Schefft if he's not falling to the #33 spot.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #3
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 349 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe (hope) the zone blocking scheme used now is history with our next head coach.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #4
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

I take Bridgewater in the first. If there isn't a OT/OG they like in the 2nd or even 3rd hit the D, then let Quesenberry battle it out with Williams I personally like Ques to win a starting spot next yr. here is a link for top olineman FA's next yr.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/ol.html
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The inclusion of wade smith in that link causes distrust on my part.

Doc seems to think we'd be foolish to rely on Brennan hitting anywhere near his potential given his injury.

I like the idea of quiz to take over at LG, and draft another RT, who can swing, if he gets beat out by Harris then we have our swing so we aren't reliant on Harris to backup brown at LT.

I'm a little worried about Myers at C in anything other than a zone scheme, he doesn't take on DL in our scheme he's all about the second level which may cause huge issues, worried he could look just like he did the forst couple of years after he became the starter.

Is Ben jones really an option at C? Not sure we've seen much of him at that position and thought he was only so-so at guard last season and obv got beaten out this year.

Going back to wade smith, I believe he has a reasonable cap hit which were offloading this offseason which might make us a player in FA on the oline.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #6
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 9556 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

I'm a little worried about Myers at C in anything other than a zone scheme, he doesn't take on DL in our scheme he's all about the second level which may cause huge issues, worried he could look just like he did the forst couple of years after he became the starter.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
That will always haunt me with Myers. That was painful to watch.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What are our options?

If we invest our 1st rounder on a QB, what's it look like in the second?

Any interesting FAs coming up?

Brennan & Quiz.... are they in the mix?
For me the 1st pick would be Clowney

2nd QB

3rd OT Morgan Moses.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what I posted in the thread about the PFF offensive line ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm fully convinced that McNair (and Smith by proxy) intends to draft Jake Matthews. Not only does it address our biggest need, but bringing the Matthews family back to Houston further legitimizes the club among fans. You can't discount the marketing value of a draft pick sometimes. It's true that you don't take an RT that high, but they'll move him to LT in a year or two.
I think Duane Brown will be ready for RT in a couple of years. We'll take a guard in 2 or 3 depending on draft depth.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That will always haunt me with Myers. That was painful to watch.
Myers could be Superbowl MVP and still never live down that moment. It ranks up there with Rosencopter despite being way less consequential.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #11
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with you Wade Smith is gone after this yr and maybe Meyers. I was upset with the Williams Pick due to his injury history, I personally like Jones if we put him at C. The oline for me would be Dbo,Jones,Meyers,Brooks,Ques if we didn't get a olineman in the draft. If we do I put the oline as Dbo,Ques,Jones,Brooks,Rookie.
Old 12-07-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
I'm with you Wade Smith is gone after this yr and maybe Meyers. I was upset with the Williams Pick due to his injury history, I personally like Jones if we put him at C. The oline for me would be Dbo,Jones,Meyers,Brooks,Ques if we didn't get a olineman in the draft. If we do I put the oline as Dbo,Ques,Jones,Brooks,Rookie.
Why not draft the highest rated OG in the 2nd and keep Ques at RT?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #13
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why not draft the highest rated OG in the 2nd and keep Ques at RT?
That's what I want to do draft Teddy put Ques at RT. I believe that will happen and we get a G to replace Smith in the 2nd or maybe trade back into the first rnd for Antonio Richardson for RT.
Old 12-07-2013   #14
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
This is what I posted in the thread about the PFF offensive line ratings.

I think Duane Brown will be ready for RT in a couple of years. We'll take a guard in 2 or 3 depending on draft depth.
We aren't going to draft a right tackle in the top 5 over a franchise QB or blue-chip pass rusher.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything depends on who the next OC is...

If we switch from ZBS there will be significant turnover.

On performance alone, we need a new LG & RT.

Quessenberry can play, but he has to adjust his body. I'm not sure he's more than a G, though.

I just don't know about Brennan Williams. He may be too injured. He may want to go straight to WWF?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #16
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
We aren't going to draft a right tackle in the top 5 over a franchise QB or blue-chip pass rusher.
Not to mention going right back and picking more o line in 2 or 3. The o line needs some addressing but we've got way more pressing needs on defense.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #17
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Move quessenberry to LG, and draft future RT at 2.1 & hope brennan williams is healthy enough to compete for RT w the new 2nd round rookie.

This draft is verrrrrrrry deep in Tackles, so we can get a real good one 2.1
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down all the way out of the first round, and get a boatload of seconds.

I'm sick of hearing this "we've got way too much talent" blah blah.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #19
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Trade down all the way out of the first round, and get a boatload of seconds.

I'm sick of hearing this "we've got way too much talent" blah blah.
lol no.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Everything depends on who the next OC is...

If we switch from ZBS there will be significant turnover.

On performance alone, we need a new LG & RT.

Quessenberry can play, but he has to adjust his body. I'm not sure he's more than a G, though.

I just don't know about Brennan Williams. He may be too injured. He may want to go straight to WWF?
Lots of cheeseburgers for whomever we keep and bigger stronger for whomever we seek.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read