Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-07-2013   #101
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
To add to this, the success of the first QB taken in each draft compared to QB's taken in the first round is much much higher.
I think that is accurate. I'd only call 4 of the past 16 busts.

EJ Manuel - too soon to judge and taken much lower than usual
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford - disappointing to date
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Alex Smith - underwhelming
Eli Manning
Carson Palmer - never the same after injury but not a bad pick
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington - 1st taken but bottom half of 1st round.
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning
Old 12-07-2013   #102
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
blah blah blah blah ****ing blah.... does anyone really watch the tape or better question, does anyone around here know how to evaluate QB play? but then again, given Texan history I can't really blame y'all... lol

this kid is special, mark it down.
I'm by no means an NFL scout so take this with a grain of salt, but I just spent the past couple hours watching alot of YouTube videos of Teddy Bridgewater and concentrating on evaluating his mechanics. Here's my observations:

*Very accurate thrower, hits moving targets in small windows.
*Quick release, he gets the ball out of his hands fast.
*Effortless throwing motion, he really makes it look smooth and easy.
*Holds the ball high, up around his upper chest so that his throwing motion can be quick.
*Good feet/Quick Feet, feet are always in motion while scanning the field but plants them quickly when throwing.
*Athletic, moves effortlessly and runs well when needed. He's not a runner who can throw, he's a passing QB that can run very well.
*Arm strength, it's very good but not what I'd call great. He's no John Elway.
*Throws well on the run, almost throws better on the run than from the pocket.
*Looking off a Safety, I saw him several times looking off a Safety while going through his progressions. Other times he stared down a receiver. This is something he'll have to work on in the NFL.
*Post route, he can hit a WR over the middle on a post route. A few times he overthrew a WR on a post route and he'll need to work with his receivers on this but he can make that very difficult throw.
*Wears gloves on both hands. Not sure if that's a pro or con but thought it a little unusual.
*Speaks well, he can form a cohesive sentence.

I like what I see and would take him as the 1st overall pick. I don't know if he'll ever be the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but to me he's got the skill set to be an elite level QB.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #103
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I'm not pushing for TB (or anyone else). To me it's too early. I've seen some good posters getting nervous or flat out condemn TB for the last game or another game. "#1 picks shouldn't have questions"

Honest question - did Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning never have poor games in college?
In his last college game, one of those QBs got beat 42-17 in a bowl game.

His stat line was:
21/31 for 134 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT.

That was Peyton Manning against Nebraska.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #104
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Been in these type of threads for a minute now and I've read it all. Its funny how a lot of people want to give a undersized,undrafted free agent qb another year yet they have already called bridgewater a bust. For all the stat trackers or qb bust,go back and check the bust for ol and d-line. I'm pretty sure there just as high. In fact,the highest is wr. Missed in all those numbers since 2002 and busted qbs,nobody posted the winning qbs and the rds they were drafted in. The only exception to the rule has been brady and brees. Since 02, big ben twice,eli twice,peyton,rodgers,flacco. So in 11 yrs,7 have been won by 1st rd qbs. The last time a 1st rd qb didn't win it was brees and he was the 1st pick of the 2nd rd.

All this doesn't matter but for our enjoyment. One minute the guy needs to have a hand cannon for an arm,the next he just needs to have a nfl arm . Bridgewaters arm is on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. His arm isn't. Flacco,ben,staffords coming out,but there are no limitations to the type of offense you can run. From west coast to vertical norv turner/hue jackson type. I guess we will see when the new coaching staff and peple get in place. I say this a lot,don't be wrong either way. Go back and look at the teams that passed rodgers. Go look at the raiders who passed big ben and rivers for gallery. Truth be told and this is the true testament, who would trade their qb for jj watt? Jj is one of the best,mos dominant players in football. I'm willing to bet,you couldn't get luck,stafford,cam,matt ryan,flacco,rg3,kaepernick,wilson,romo,or eli for him. Notice I didn't even name a top 6 guy. All those gms would hang up the phone and laugh at you and we're talking about JJ Watt. As great as watt is,he doesn't touch the ball every play and can be schemed against.
Old 12-07-2013   #105
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Play from Thursday night.
Old 12-07-2013   #106
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Been in these type of threads for a minute now and I've read it all. Its funny how a lot of people want to give a undersized,undrafted free agent qb another year yet they have already called bridgewater a bust. For all the stat trackers or qb bust,go back and check the bust for ol and d-line. I'm pretty sure there just as high. In fact,the highest is wr. Missed in all those numbers since 2002 and busted qbs,nobody posted the winning qbs and the rds they were drafted in. The only exception to the rule has been brady and brees. Since 02, big ben twice,eli twice,peyton,rodgers,flacco. So in 11 yrs,7 have been won by 1st rd qbs. The last time a 1st rd qb didn't win it was brees and he was the 1st pick of the 2nd rd.

All this doesn't matter but for our enjoyment. One minute the guy needs to have a hand cannon for an arm,the next he just needs to have a nfl arm . Bridgewaters arm is on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. His arm isn't. Flacco,ben,staffords coming out,but there are no limitations to the type of offense you can run. From west coast to vertical norv turner/hue jackson type. I guess we will see when the new coaching staff and peple get in place. I say this a lot,don't be wrong either way. Go back and look at the teams that passed rodgers. Go look at the raiders who passed big ben and rivers for gallery. Truth be told and this is the true testament, who would trade their qb for jj watt? Jj is one of the best,mos dominant players in football. I'm willing to bet,you couldn't get luck,stafford,cam,matt ryan,flacco,rg3,kaepernick,wilson,romo,or eli for him. Notice I didn't even name a top 6 guy. All those gms would hang up the phone and laugh at you and we're talking about JJ Watt. As great as watt is,he doesn't touch the ball every play and can be schemed against.
Nice post lee.
Old 12-07-2013   #107
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

Play from Thursday night.
AMAZING?

one of many spectacular athletic, gifted plays he made, on what many felt was an "off night" for Bridgewater. Yet, very easy for me to quickly fill a page with positive attributes you'd expect of a the top rated NFL QB prospect. Teddy has ability to quickly assimilate information needed to run a high tempo offense like Chip Kelly runs so effectively. Not this painfully slow, laborious, clock mismanaged Kubiak/Schaub pace.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #108
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love watching Bridgewater come to the LOS and get his team in the correct play time and time again. He has very little talent in the backfield and on the OL. He does have weapons at WR and he takes advantage of them.

He definitely has a mind for the game, which is a necessary skill at the next level.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #109
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
AMAZING?

one of many spectacular athletic, gifted plays he made, on what many felt was an "off night" for Bridgewater. Yet, very easy for me to quickly fill a page with positive attributes you'd expect of a the top rated NFL QB prospect. Teddy has ability to quickly assimilate information needed to run a high tempo offense like Chip Kelly runs so effectively. Not this painfully slow, laborious, clock mismanaged Kubiak/Schaub pace.
He had several plays on that level in that game. For those who want to point out he had an "off night" they obviously didn't watch the game. Any QB would have an off night when his OL plays like his did.
Old 12-07-2013   #110
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah. I'd be fine with teddy b at number 1.

I can understand the apprehension about him becoming a star, but I don't get the posts saying he sucks or is sure to bust.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #111
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post

The reason I don't have Teddy higher in my evaluations is I disagree with you, Bridgewaters arm is NOT on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. Bridgewaters arm is on par with Landry Jones and why I think he will be a bust. His deep floater is an NFL INT waiting to happen.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #112
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

A QB who can win with a crappy OL?

Sounds like he's destined to be the Texans Franchise QB
Old 12-07-2013   #113
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't started preparing for the draft, yet. (Although I might start early this year. smh) So I haven't watched any tape on any of these guys or figured out who's who, yet.

But.

That's an impressive play for lots of different reasons.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #114
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I haven't started preparing for the draft, yet. (Although I might start early this year. smh) So I haven't watched any tape on any of these guys or figured out who's who, yet.

But.

That's an impressive play for lots of different reasons.

Well then you are going to love Johnny manzel. He has about 4 Or 5 of those per game.
Old 12-07-2013   #115
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Eli Manning
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning
Only one thing to nit pick from that list.

Alex Smith 30-5 over the last three seasons - not including their current 3 game skid (30-8).

He didn't come out and light the world on fire .... but he has won a very high percentage once the light came on.

Statistically underwhelming .... Sure but bottom line underwhelming no.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #116
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Eli Manning
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The reason I don't have Teddy higher in my evaluations is I disagree with you, Bridgewaters arm is NOT on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. Bridgewaters arm is on par with Landry Jones and why I think he will be a bust. His deep floater is an NFL INT waiting to happen.
The biggest bust on this list had the best arm . You could argue that Carr had the 3rd best arm on this list . Teddy has a plenty good arm .
Old 12-07-2013   #117
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Alex Smith 30-5 over the last three seasons - not including their current 3 game skid (30-8).

He didn't come out and light the world on fire .... but he has won a very high percentage once the light came on.

I didn't list him as a bust but I haven't heard anyone call him a franchise QB even with all his wins. He is the NFL's current definition of a game manager. The team that drafted him dumped him. I think underwhelming is fair for a #1 pick discussion.

You're giving him tons of credit by looking only at the last 3 years. Dude was talked about for benching and replacement frequently in the 5 seasons before that. He is career 47-39.
Old 12-07-2013   #118
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

You mean those three years when he's had an amazing running game and defense to keep the game from being all about him? :P
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #119
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Bridgewater is being overrated by Texans fans who want a new QB. This draft could end up being like 2002 for QBs - 16 QBs taken, and they all suck. Carr, Harrington, and Ramsey at the top of that class. Or maybe a couple of them end up panning out, but I don't think Bridgewater has a better chance of panning out than McCarron or even Mett or Murray (injuries notwithstanding). Hell, Boyd might be the one that pans out. I just don't see Bridgewater being BPA. But fans want the team to force the pick because they have the top pick. Well, top pick means you should get the player with the most potential, irrespective of position.

Sucks this crappy record couldn't have waited a year.
If we find a way to win a game or two, end up with the 5-10th pick in the draft, I'd be fine getting Matthews from A&M, then getting Mettenberger early in the second, even trade back into the late first to get him if we need to. Same for Murray.
Old 12-07-2013   #120
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
He had several plays on that level in that game. For those who want to point out he had an "off night" they obviously didn't watch the game. Any QB would have an off night when his OL plays like his did.
"laughing my ass off" signed Case Keenum

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read