Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #221
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
We need a Marine drill sergeant type coach.
Like Greg Schiano? I'm sure he will be on the market once this season raps up. They will have only won like 3 maybe 4 games and he lost the locker room at week 6, but maybe...
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #222
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Knowing his corporate mentality, McNair will hire Lovie Smith. End of story. He'll promote it as "the right guy for the job." Never mind his proclamation yesterday that the next coach should have a history of developing QBs.

And that's the problem with McNair: He's almost too conservative to be in an enterprise like pro football. That's been reflected in the team's results - mediocre, at best.

Young, bright guys like Bevell, Toub (KC), Gase (Denver) and Roman (SF, and who once was a Texans assistant) will be hired in the next year or two. Just not by Boardroom Bob. He plays it safe. But, once again, not smart.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #223
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner
- a #1 draft pick to start your tenure as a new HC
- a defense LOADED with young talent at all levels
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position
- a division that is probably one of the weakest in the league
- a 2014 last place schedule to get rolling in first year
***added bonus - no state taxe*******

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I personally think they will.
While I agree with the right HC things could turn around quickly. If Rick can add 3 impact player and 2 more contributing players in this draft.

1. An owner who gives you responibility and says you can do what you want. Except when you try to add a quality player with a troubled past he wont let you do it. Meanwhile your competition Denver/Patriots/Indy are adding players like this. See: Aquib Talib to the Pats. DRC to the Broncos. Vontae Davis to the Colts. Think any of those CB's would look good on the Texans.
2. Other than JJ watt what young talent are you talking about? Cushing? Only plays half a season, KJ, has regressed, JoJo, A shell of himself and far from young. Who else is remotely uberly talented on this defense?
3. Agreed about the WR's except they dont have a WR that can take the top off a defense. Hopefully Posey can develop into this guy 2 yrs removed from his injury. Tell me more about the QB throwing them the ball.alent at key positiond
4. Agreed
5.Agreed
6. Agreed

Is the new HC going to be allowed to lead the org? Bring in a new S&C coach, get a new medical staff? As these are the reasons I feel that injuries seem to plague the Texans roster more than most. Is rick going to make these decisions or is the new HC? Because if it's Rick you can expect more of the status quo and if I'm the prospective HC that's a deal breaker for me.

The truth is that the Texans are the worst team in the NFL for a reason. Coaching and a lack of talent/depth at key positions. OL/NT/CB/S. There's no way a SB contending team would have Keo/Mitchell or McCain/nickle starting on their defense.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #224
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree with the right HC things could turn around quickly. If Rick can add 3 impact player and 2 more contributing players in this draft.

1. An owner who gives you responibility and says you can do what you want. Except when you try to add a quality player with a troubled past he wont let you do it. Meanwhile your competition Denver/Patriots/Indy are adding players like this. See: Aquib Talib to the Pats. DRC to the Broncos. Vontae Davis to the Colts. Think any of those CB's would look good on the Texans.
2. Other than JJ watt what young talent are you talking about? Cushing? Only plays half a season, KJ, has regressed, JoJo, A shell of himself and far from young. Who else is remotely uberly talented on this defense?
3. Agreed about the WR's except they dont have a WR that can take the top off a defense. Hopefully Posey can develop into this guy 2 yrs removed from his injury.
4. Agreed
5.Agreed
6. Agreed

Is the new HC going to be allowed to lead the org? Bring in a new S&C coach, get a new medical staff? As these are the reasons I feel that injuries seem to plague the Texans roster more than most. Is rick going to make these decisions or is the new HC? Because if it's Rick you can expect more of the status quo and if I'm the prospective HC that's a deal breaker for me.
I think the questions you raised at the end of your post will expose greatly on who was pushing the buttons when it came to drafts as far as smith or kubiak is concerned. We will find out how smart/dumb he is with the new
Hire.
Old 12-07-2013   #225
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I think the questions you raised at the end of your post will expose greatly on who was pushing the buttons when it came to drafts as far as smith or kubiak is concerned. We will find out how smart/dumb he is with the new
Hire.
You should be worried that Rick is being allowed to hire the new HC.
Old 12-07-2013   #226
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Knowing his corporate mentality, McNair will hire Lovie Smith. End of story. He'll promote it as "the right guy for the job." Never mind his proclamation yesterday that the next coach should have a history of developing QBs.

And that's the problem with McNair: He's almost too conservative to be in an enterprise like pro football. That's been reflected in the team's results - mediocre, at best.

Young, bright guys like Bevell, Toub (KC), Gase (Denver) and Roman (SF, and who once was a Texans assistant) will be hired in the next year or two. Just not by Boardroom Bob. He plays it safe. But, once again, not smart.
I've been calling the Lovie Smith hire for weeks now. It fits in perfectly with McNair and his fairy tales, with Lovie being an East Texas native, Black coach, and he has had some good success in Chicago. The only knock against Lovie is that the previous coach here was like him, but at least Lovie has had more success than Kubiak and the players/fans in Chicago still love him.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #227
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1808 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3. Agreed about the WR's except they dont have a WR that can take the top off a defense. Hopefully Posey can develop into this guy 2 yrs removed from his injury. Tell me more about the QB throwing them the ball.alent at key positiond
4. Agreed
5.Agreed
6. Agreed

The truth is that the Texans are the worst team in the NFL for a reason. Coaching and a lack of talent/depth at key positions. OL/NT/CB/S. There's no way a SB contending team would have Keo/Mitchell or McCain/nickle starting on their defense.
I don't agree with the bolded , you're acting like rick made no attempts to improve the roster. Ed reed was brought in to be the safety for the next couple years. Ozzie newsome also made a bad move this off season by paying huff his money. No one bats 1.000 my good sir , people make mistakes
Old 12-07-2013   #228
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

I have little-to-no confidence in McNair (and Smith) to make the right choice.

The team is no further along now than it was 10 years ago.

Sad, but true.

In the end, Boardroom Bob is simply a newer version of Bottom Line Bud (Adams), albeit with smoother edges.
Old 12-07-2013   #229
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think Smith is the devil as you do.

Is he the best GM in the league? No.

Is he right at/or above average? I think so.

We have done some great things and some not so great things since he's been here. Because of the great things I think he deserves to go outside his Denver "box" to see how he will do with a different system.

Now with that said...if he was/is fired at the end of the season I will be completely ok with it...assuming we go after a guy like DeCosta.

My best case scenario was Smithiak fired.

My second best scenario was kubiak fired and smith staying.

Worst case was they both stay.
Old 12-07-2013   #230
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say this about Lovie Smith. I do think he could maximize our CBs potential. I think it would take some pressure off of those guys and allow them to play a little more free with his Tampa 2.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #231
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really don't think he is unless there's something out there I haven't heard yet.

Looks to me like this is McNair's call based on what I saw at the presser.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #232
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Note: For McNair to dismiss someone who doesn't have college or NFL head-coaching experience illustrates just how clueless he is.

Neither John Harbaugh nor Mike Tomlin was ever a head coach prior to being hired by Baltimore and Pittsburgh. And they're merely among the top HCs in the league.

It just shows that McNair really doesn't grasp the qualities it takes to be an NFL head coach.
Old 12-07-2013   #233
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1808 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Note: For McNair to dismiss someone who doesn't have college or NFL head-coaching experience illustrates just how clueless he is.

Neither John Harbaugh nor Mike Tomlin was ever a head coach prior to being hired by Baltimore and Pittsburgh. And they're merely among the top HCs in the league.

It just shows that McNair really doesn't grasp the qualities it takes to be an NFL head coach.
And those are 2 examples, what about the kubiaks and capers of the world . He thinks this team is just a few players away and thinks a more experience coach will take us there.

I don't understand why there is so much negativity here lately ? We're doing what needs to be done , just like everyone wanted . Had he kept Kubes everyone one would still be pissed at McNair , damned if he does damned if he don't . He's been an owner now for 11 years , I have faith in McNair to find our next Head coach .
Old 12-07-2013   #234
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I was way past tired of arguing about Kubiak, now I'm already getting weary of this new coach stuff. I can't wait until he hires someone so we'll have something new to b!tch about besides whether or not Case is starting material or not.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #235
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
And those are 2 examples, what about the kubiaks and capers of the world . He thinks this team is just a few players away and thinks a more experience coach will take us there.

I don't understand why there is so much negativity here lately ? We're doing what needs to be done , just like everyone wanted . Had he kept Kubes everyone one would still be pissed at McNair , damned if he does damned if he don't . He's been an owner now for 11 years , I have faith in McNair to find our next Head coach .
You know some people ***** for the sake of bitching and because they enjoy it. It takes all kinds.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #236
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
You know some people ***** for the sake of bitching and because they enjoy it. It takes all kinds.
You rang?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #237
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
I don't agree with the bolded , you're acting like rick made no attempts to improve the roster. Ed reed was brought in to be the safety for the next couple years. Ozzie newsome also made a bad move this off season by paying huff his money. No one bats 1.000 my good sir , people make mistakes
Nobody bats a thousand, but they should try too. C-N-D told us that Reed wouldn't be the Reed of old. If he knew that the Texans Dr's/Rick should've known this also.

All of the extentions/bad FA signings should've cost Rick his job. But BoB didn't want to pay off 2 yrs remaining on Ricks contract and 1 yr on Gary's.

Bottom line is the Texans are the worst team in the NFL. Rick was in charge of the team and while batting .1000 maybe unrealistic, Rick went 0 for this offseason and has only been about .300 since he's been GM with the salary cap/draft picks/FA signings. Rick is a major reason this team is where it is today.

But atleast BoB didn't go all in on the it's too traumatic thingy. If you truly believe that Rick Smith is the guy to lead this team to prominence that's your perrogative. But I will be calling out his mistakes. Nobody bats .1000 but to be a SB contender the GM needs to bat atleast .750 and I think that's too much to ask from Rick. In short I think Rick is in over his head. (Hope I'm wrong)

Watching his facial expressions during BoB's press confrence sickened me. He looked like a man that had no remorse for throwing his friend/mentor (Gary) under the bus. This man will never bring a SB to this city. He lacks character and is BoB's yes man. The good news for BoB is that Rick will make BoB alot of $$$$ while he continues to pull the wool over the paying customers eyes.

Unless BoB gives the new HC the power that he gave Gary and I dont see that happening.
Old 12-07-2013   #238
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

McNair has painted himself in to a small corner. Based on his comments it sounded like McNair already has a coach in mind. Based on the parametrs discussed it sounds like Lovie is his man.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #239
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Like Greg Schiano? I'm sure he will be on the market once this season raps up. They will have only won like 3 maybe 4 games and he lost the locker room at week 6, but maybe...
Guys like that are why I don't want a super-strict coach: they often can't differentiate between not acting like an *******. Guys like Jim Harbaugh are strict enough to look like *******s to everyone else but their teams will run through brick walls for them. I don't really see the aversion to "player's coaches" either, there's no one type of coach without a downside to complement the strengths.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #240
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have little-to-no confidence in McNair (and Smith) to make the right choice.

The team is no further along now than it was 10 years ago.

Sad, but true.

In the end, Boardroom Bob is simply a newer version of Bottom Line Bud (Adams), albeit with smoother edges.
Yep

Bud was a friend nd mentor to BoB.

Can I steal the boardroom BoB moniker from you? It describes BoB perfectly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read