Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2013   #201
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Today's prediction is Del Rio and he brings in Munchak as an OL ast head coach . Yes Munchak after he gets canned .
Old 12-07-2013   #202
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I'm not too sure about the bolded part. Not saying we don't have talent, but I certainly don't think we're loaded. We have massive issues as ILB, NT, and in the secondary. Not to mention we don't have outside pass rushers and if we stay 3-4 we'll have to find 2 OLB's who can pass rush. Mercilus has been inconsistent, but I think he has some potential. In the offense, we obviously have a massive question mark at the QB position and if we can't find a good QB we're not going anywhere. Foster has been battling various injuries over the past couple of years and who knows how much he has left in the tank. Andre Johnson will be a year older and the obvious problems in the right side of our o-line. I don't think the Texans will be able to solve every problem, but they have some pieces they can build around like JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins. If McNair is really interested in a quick turnaround then he has to be fix the QB position first and foremost. I'm of the opinion you take the best QB available with the #1 because of the potential rewards. Then fix the o-line with good veteran players who can protect a young QB. I'm assuming Cushing will be back healthy so that will take care of the ILB but they must find good backups for him this time around. Lastly, they absolutely must find a couple of good pass rushers and that will make a huge difference on how the defense plays and it will make the secondary's job easier.

I posted earlier that these questionable players are still in question. With the right coaching I think these players could be developed into something special. Brooks reed, Mercilus, Swearinger, McCain - all of these players are young enough that they can still live up to their draft potential. Coaching does wonders and I'm hoping it will as well.

I think it's accurate to say that all of these players are talented but just not very good at their position. Talent will only take you so far before you have to start learning the craft. I don't think they ever had good coaching to develop them into nfl players.

Hopefully you will see why I chose the word "talented" instead of "great"
Old 12-07-2013   #203
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I posted earlier that these questionable players are still in question. With the right coaching I think these players could be developed into something special. Brooks reed, Mercilus, Swearinger, McCain - all of these players are young enough that they can still live up to their draft potential. Coaching does wonders and I'm hoping it will as well.

I think it's accurate to say that all of these players are talented but just not very good at their position. Talent will only take you so far before you have to start learning the craft. I don't think they ever had good coaching to develop them into nfl players.

Hopefully you will see why I chose the word "talented" instead of "great"
I hope you're correct and that good coaching and a change in philosophy can turn things around, but that doesn't mean you don't at the very least try to acquire new talent. It's going to be a clean slate for everyone and everyone has to compete for the starting job.
Old 12-07-2013   #204
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I hope you're correct and that good coaching and a change in philosophy can turn things around, but that doesn't mean you don't at the very least try to acquire new talent. It's going to be a clean slate for everyone and everyone has to compete for the starting job.
Oh you bet. Just like every year...gotta reload. I was just saying we weren't exactly a Jacksonville or Oakland.

We have some good building blocks but still need to fill some holes in this years draft.
Old 12-07-2013   #205
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh you bet. Just like every year...gotta reload. I was just saying we weren't exactly a Jacksonville or Oakland.

We have some good building blocks but still need to fill some holes in this years draft.
Absolutely agree.
Old 12-07-2013   #206
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hell no we're not. They both BEAT US. The Jags twice. We've got quite a way to go to catch them.

We suck.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #207
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 227821 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Hell no we're not. They both BEAT US. The Jags twice. We've got quite a way to go to catch them.

We suck.
Which doesn't mean the talent level sucks. McNair is dumping Kubiak because the talent level does not suck and therefore the coaching was sub-par. Ask the Chiefs if losing is always an indication of overall talent level sucking, or Indy.
Old 12-07-2013   #208
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

We suck.
Yes because both of those sorry ass teams beat us this season that means they are head and shoulders better than us.

Pfffffft.

If you truly think that both of those teams are better Teams and organizations then you are dead wrong. Just relax there, guy. We had an awful season and just canned our HC. If were betting on who is going farther next season between those three teams...I would call you a fool if you picked either of those two.
Old 12-07-2013   #209
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'm with you. He didn't come off as "hands off" in the press conference at all, but that's solely based on my impression. The only time he deferred to Rick at all was the question about the draft which Rick totally sidestepped.

I really don't get where the "hands off" thing comes from. I think that's a myth that's been repeated so many times that everybody believes it. The fact is that no one knows what Bob does, what Cal does, or what Rick does except people on the inside and they aren't talking.

I don't really think it's a bad thing either. I really like the way Bob came off yesterday. I want an owner who knows something about football. It's better than an owner that thinks he knows everything about it.

If anybody has anything to prove me wrong, I'd love to see it because I've been wondering about this for years.
Yesterday was an unintentional peek behind the curtain. The illustrious McNair shine showed a little tarnish. What I learned is Bob McNair could be more like Jerry Jones than anyone thought possible. And there could be a bigger disconnect and mess created by the McNairs than anyone thought possible. No doubt the McNair's aspire to a Committment to Excellence, just not confident they really know what that means. No doubt the McNairs want to win and win very badly. So far including yesterday's PC they have demonstrated they haven't grasped just how to do that. What do I mean by this? I would not be surprised if Lovie Smith was the new Head Coach and Jay Cutler is the new Texans QB. More Mediocrity? More average and ordinary? Yesterday's PC may have been that first step.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #210
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Which doesn't mean the talent level sucks. McNair is dumping Kubiak because the talent level does not suck and therefore the coaching was sub-par. Ask the Chiefs if losing is always an indication of overall talent level sucking, or Indy.
McNair only dumped Kubiak because he kept playing Sloth over Keenum. Be realistic. If Kubes won another game or so and kept Keenum playing we would be looking at another 3 yrs of Kubiak most likely.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #211
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
McNair only dumped Kubiak because he kept playing Sloth over Keenum. Be realistic. If Kubes won another game or so and kept Keenum playing we would be looking at another 3 yrs of Kubiak most likely.
I completely disagree and think you are pretty dillusional if you truly think that.
Old 12-07-2013   #212
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I completely disagree and think you are pretty dillusional if you truly think that.
LOL, watch out here comes a few pages of curse words and macho BS headed your way!
Old 12-07-2013   #213
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Rex Ryan
2. Jay Gruden
3. Billick
4. Holmgren
5. Shaw
6. Zimmer

We need a HC that adds an edge to the team. What we dont need is a Rick yes man.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #214
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I also heard on one of the radio stations that Mike Sherman is willing to suck D across the country to land this gig.
Old 12-07-2013   #215
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 27943 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.
Well said. Numbers never lie... when you read the numbers behind the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
in this case (pun intended) either cutler succeeds or implodes and we draft a QB the following year in a great year for QBs.

i wouldn't mind cutler his certainly not my first option but i don't think his has bad as some suggest
It's NEVER a great year for QBs when you draft 19+. Why doesn't anyone get that? The future is NOT Jay Cutler.

"Why don't we just draft Russell Wilson, the Seahawks did it".

31 teams try to draft that 3rd+ round QB of the future EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Most end up like Mike Glennon (poor at best).

2011 was a year that was supposed to have solid QBs too, the only team it worked out for was #1 pick - Cam Newton. Come the start of 2014 I imagine picks #10 and #12 are jobless while #8 pick is given 1 final chance which he ultimately fails at setting these franchises back 3-4 years each. Oh yeah and one of them will have wasted arguably the greatest RB in NFL history doing so.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #216
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
LOL, watch out here comes a few pages of curse words and macho BS headed your way!
Haha. I ain't to worried about it. If it's beneath me I'll typically just lurk the rest of the thread. Guys who can't have a discussion but instead want to act big behind a computer screen don't scare me.

Instead of getting involved and turning into one of them I sit back and let them have their day.
Old 12-07-2013   #217
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Haha. I ain't to worried about it. If it's beneath me I'll typically just lurk the rest of the thread. Guys who can't have a discussion but instead want to act big behind a computer screen don't scare me.

Instead of getting involved and turning into one of them I sit back and let them have their day.
True. I wish more people could debate without resorting to cursing and demeaning.
Old 12-07-2013   #218
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

After 2 "nice guy" head coaches I have a feeling we're going to go another route and pursue a fiery head coach. IMO the perfect scenario would be to hire Jon or Jay Gruden as head coach and bring in a fired Rex Ryan as DC. The entire culture would change here.

I like Lovie Smith, but I don't think he's a fit here. None of the other guys with Bob's criteria excite me either.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #219
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a Marine drill sergeant type coach.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #220
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
After 2 "nice guy" head coaches I have a feeling we're going to go another route and pursue a fiery head coach.
What we have here is a "Pattern of Behavior", a McNair trait, nothing to suggest the McNairs would step outside of their comfort zone. I do hope that Bob will interview David Shaw and Jimbo Fisher if only to experience and become familiar with what a serious, no nonsense, winning attitude, well prepared head coaches are like.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read