Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #161
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Lovie Smith.....

http://youtu.be/r03c2BY1Wso?t=3m3s

sounds oddly familiar
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #162
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
No retreads (like Lovie Smith, Tom "Skinhead" Cable, M. Shanahan, The Walrus, etc.) Although Gruden or Cowher would be entertaining as hell.

Go young and smart. Someone the players will listen to and maybe even learn from.

Screw Saban. Monumental egos need not apply.
I agree. Sounds like David Shaw to me. I'm in.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #163
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
What's Holmgren doing these days?
No thanks. Wasn't he responsible for being the Browns President or VP of Football Operations? If so he was there when they decided to draft Weeden so no thanks.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #164
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75018 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on board with not hiring Lovie. I don't think he would be that much of a step up from Kubiak. When I think of innovative and adaptive, he does not come to mind.
Old 12-06-2013   #165
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Lovie Smith.....

http://youtu.be/r03c2BY1Wso?t=3m3s

sounds oddly familiar
Yeah...Lovie is a little too similar to kubiak personality wise. He is very calm and even tempered. I don't like that. I want a coach that is willing to get fired up and get in his players asses on live TV.

I want a guy that has energy.
Old 12-06-2013   #166
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Shaw will leave Stanford but if we can get him sign me up.

Don't know much about Seahawks OC. They do have a bruising running game though.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #167
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post

They have #2 offense in the league (points scored)
Old 12-06-2013   #168
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.
Sorry, if we went for Lovie he would have to say who his OC is before signing and if it's some Mike Tice type I couldn't do it. If he obviously has only broad concepts and his offenses looked different under Martz but they always seem to be poorly run. If you are keeping Smith around I think that means Lovie wouldn't be in total control anyway.
Old 12-06-2013   #169
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Darrell Bevell hasn't been a head coach on any level that I can find. That pretty much takes him off the list if McNair really feels it's a requirement.
Old 12-06-2013   #170
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe they'll really go hard after Gruden first then Lovie Smith. I'm not a big fan of Smith because he reminds me of Kubiak. He did lead his team to the SB, but he just doesn't strike me as the right guy for the Texans at this moment. I might be wrong, but that's my gut feeling right now.
Old 12-06-2013   #171
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Didn't know that. I always thought Pete Carrol was the brains behind the offense.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #172
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 4892 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Didn't know that. I always thought Pete Carrol was the brains behind the offense.
I always thought Pete was a 4-3 under defensive coordinator. Before he became a head coach.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #173
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So because it was Bleacher report you just chunked it without evaluating or offering a thought out rebuttal with your opinion?
Short answer, yes.

BR is garbage. Do you take life advice from the local bar drunk?

I can listen to them all day too and see if there is anything I can take away, but I choose not to because my time is better spent taking advice from people in life that I respect.

The local drunk and BR are not those that I respect.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #174
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #175
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Horton has turned the Browns D into a Monster.
They gave up 32 to the Jags last Sunday.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #176
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They gave up 32 to the Jags last Sunday.
Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #177
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.
If Rick hires Lovie and drafts Teddy I think I will puke.

Ask how Bears fans feel about Lovie

Teddy isn't great against inferior competition.

Give me Jay Gruden/Billick/Holmgren
Old 12-07-2013   #178
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me Jay Gruden/Billick/Holmgren
So you want to pass up on a slightly washed-up coach for three guys that are even more washed up. At least you stick to your values, it seems.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #179
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile View Post
There are going to be a lot of NFL head coaching jobs up for grabs this offseason. I'm glad Houston is getting a head start in the race for good candidates, but I'm also concerned about this team getting used by a candidate to bid up their own value on the market with so many open jobs.

So regardless of who comes in for an interview, I won't get my hopes up. But who wouldn't want this job? In Houston you can suck as a head coach for a good long while before the term "accountability" even comes up. Today's 2014 head coach would be seeing his first hot seat no sooner than 2018.
With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.
Old 12-07-2013   #180
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.
Thank you for clearing up what I said earlier the Browns D is damn good under Horton. I wouldn't mind the Texans bringing him in,There offense is just as bad if not worse then the Texans due too bad QB play that's what makes last weeks game by them look bad on D.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read