Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #101
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New HC candidates

Whoever is hired should have nice hair like Kubiak.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #102
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He's the only head coach in NCAA history to have a 100% graduation rate for senior players in a single year. The guy emphasizes being a warrior on the field and in the classroom, and he has pulled off some big wins since Harbaugh left (without Luck too). He's everything you could ask for in a coach as a human being and a leader, he's a great speaker, very well mannered, and really seems to care about his players. He runs a pro-style offense at Stanford, but how well he can compete at this level is TBD. I think he's a good option, but not my first pick. He is most definitely a Bob McNair kind of guy and will definitely be considered if he tells his agent to pursue it.
This seems like it to me, but I'm just a little hesitant to dip into college ranks without considering better options first.
Old 12-06-2013   #103
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
That's my point. It's college. Do you want Nick Saban coaching the Texans, too?
What's your point?

Is your argument that a college HC cannot be a successful NFL HC? There are plenty of examples that would refute that; i.e. Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, etc.

Or is your argument that you believe David Shaw is a college HC that cannot be a successful HC? If so, you have done a poor job making it.
Old 12-06-2013   #104
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Whoever is hired should have nice hair like Kubiak.
You definitely want Horton, then.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I really hope McNair doesn't preclude himself from a guy like Horton; otherwise, the only one I'd want is a guy like Lovie.
Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...houston-texans
Old 12-06-2013   #106
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
What's your point?

Is your argument that a college HC cannot be a successful NFL HC? There are plenty of examples that would refute that; i.e. Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, etc.

Or is your argument that you believe David Shaw is a college HC that cannot be a successful HC? If so, you have done a poor job making it.
And there's plenty of college guys who've sucked in the NFL. The list is probably just as large, if not more so.

As for your second point, I insinuated no such thing. I just think he's unproven and that there are more proven options out there. I don't know if he'll be successful, but it's chancy any time you take a guy from college. He could be Jimmy Johnson. He could also be Nick Saban.
Old 12-06-2013   #107
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

I got worried for a moment and started to think I might be completely wrong, until I read the http://bleacherreport.com on the link and have decided to not only NOT click this link, but dismiss this argument altogether.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #108
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoever we get MUST tailor their coaching to our strengths. Anyone that would implement anything that diminishes JJ Watt as the best defensive player in football, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, etc is a non-starter.

We have some special players. Keep them special.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #109
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I doubt someone like Horton would see what Watt is capable and think that he should rush the passer less. Frankly, nothing guarantees that wouldn't happen with another coach, and I'd rather a guy with a proven track record like Horton.

EDIT: Also, Bleacher Report, dude.
Old 12-06-2013   #110
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?
Shaw was assistant coach at Raiders, Ravens and Eagles.
Old 12-06-2013   #111
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You definitely want Horton, then.
Horton cut his hair. I can't help but think the Iverson look was hurting him in HC interviews over the offseason.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #112
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Horton cut his hair. I can't help but think the Iverson look was hurting him in HC interviews over the offseason.
I like his cut hair look, but that's me. If he comes in and gets us a Superbowl then I'LL get cornrows. >_>

EDIT: This is what we're referring to.
Old 12-06-2013   #113
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Here's a name that you'll love: Mike Shanahan.

Clayton on ESPN said that if the Redskins fire him, he would move to the top of the Texans list.

No!!!!
I am going to have to disagree with you. It's:

HELL NO!!!!!!

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #114
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Shaw was assistant coach at Raiders, Ravens and Eagles.
And that's why I see potential there. He seems like a great offensive guy, coached QBs and WRs while he was an assistant. But my point still stands, there are more proven guys out there. I like Shaw but he is not my first choice.
Old 12-06-2013   #115
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's my point. It's college. Do you want Nick Saban coaching the Texans, too?
Saban had minimal NFL experience. Shaw has mainly NFL experience plus grew up in NFL locker rooms. Not the same situation.
Old 12-06-2013   #116
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Saban had minimal NFL experience. Shaw has mainly NFL experience plus grew up in NFL locker rooms. Not the same situation.
Fair enough. That's true.
Old 12-06-2013   #117
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Whisenhunt's wiki page, for anyone interested.
Old 12-06-2013   #118
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like his cut hair look, but that's me. If he comes in and gets us a Superbowl then I'LL get cornrows. >_>

EDIT: This is what we're referring to.
Here's a current picture of him.

It kills me that we're talking about a candidate's hair, but we all know that McNair would never hire a guy that doesn't have a conventional hairstyle. I'm guessing Rob Ryan will get zero mentions as well.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #119
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Whisenhunt's wiki page, for anyone interested.
Wisenhunt as an OC would be great, maybe a great HC too, but he has a pretty bad track record for finding QBs in the NFL. If we had a QB, I'd be happy to get him, but we don't. Maybe he can get his guy with a high draft pick, but I kind of doubt it.
Old 12-06-2013   #120
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
The only thing about Art Briles is he doesn't fit McNair's requirements. He has no NFL experience.
Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. I failed. May God have mercy on my soul.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read