Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2013   #101
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak just got fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Assuming we keep the #1 position, this is the crux of not only the offseason, but this is as big a decision this franchise has made since 2006 for sure. I would go QB, but your position is certainly defensible.
I hear ya. The #1 pick is a tough position for any team. I don't see QB worthy of a #1 pick this year. If we do have the #1 I'd go Clowney or Matthews. If they don't want to go in that direction then trade it down and pick up extra picks. God knows we need as many as we can get.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #102
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.
Enter Bill O'brien.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #103
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 93420 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Case was an issue, but we don't run the type of offense that
he is best suited for (NE, NO, GB, spread and hurry up..)

McNair probably just wants more of Keenum on tape for the
next guy to look at.

If we get someone who wants to sling the ball, then he might
be allowed to compete next year.

I'm guessing the Texans hire someone like Mike Sherman who
wants to run the same old tired west coast (obsolete) system

TJ
Exactly. Kubiak wasn't cooperating with the evaluation of Keenum, and intended to start Schaub the rest of the season.

If Keenum can be a starter, it does it lot for the salary cap and fixing the line. Smith needs to know what he has in Keenum
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #104
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.
That is the way I took it as well.

On Rick Smith. The fact he was brought in subordinate to Kubiak does not mean that dynamic will continue. McNair may change that paradigm and have a more powerful GM. You don't have to change GM to do that, the owner just has to enact it. Now a lot of the retreads people are rooting for will probably demand to have Kubiak like control so if that has been a big complaint for you then it should be a strike against them as candidates.
Old 12-06-2013   #105
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's what I'm hearing this morning.

Personally, I've seen enough of Case to know. He has had plenty of opportunity to show he can be a starter, hasn't played well enough to not take a QB in the top 10 (much less top 5).

We might have a Rivers/Brees situation next season. Case may end up being a starter, but from what I've seen, it makes no sense not to take a QB early in the first & I was a guy rooting to not "need" a QB. But we can't take that chance.
I agree with that somewhat. But if we take a quarterback high in the draft, Case will NEVER be given the time to develop, and he will NEVER be given the chance to be the Texans starting QB.

I don't think you can fairly judge if Case has what it takes, based upon his performance for the rest of THIS season. He will need another set of OTAs, and another full training camp to be evaluated fairly and be given a fair chance to start.

But he will NEVER be given that fair chance if they take a QB high in the draft. It will be the high dollar draft pick vs. the undrafted free agent. And we all know how that ball rolls.

This is the way it will go down. They will draft the next QB bust, and Keenum will go somewhere else and become the next Drew Brees.

And that would really SUCK. But is already something I'm afraid of.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #106
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 93420 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, something interesting: Notice how Peter King got the scoop on this story? He's pretty tight with Rick Smith. He did a rather lengthy and glowing interview with Smith last season allowing Smith to pitch his Jack Welch philosophy. When King got feedback that some readers interpreted Smith as being too cold and unfeeling towards players, King dedicated some more column space to reveal how personable Smith was when releasing DeMeco. The relationship between King and Smith is something to take into account when reading anything King writes about the Texans.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #107
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't I tell everyone to calm the **** down with this "my fear is that we win a couple games and Gary gets extended." ****?

No. That's not how it works.

He had to go. It was time. I loved him for a while and loved how the players respected him overall, but it was time. I have to thank him for getting us out of the Capers/Casserly years and putting on some entertaining football with a couple of playoff appearances.

Whatever happens, I want the offense to be very versatile and balanced. I love the rollouts and the fundamental philosophies behind what we have now. Would love to get more creative though. I'm not too crazy about Dennison and thought Baby Shanahan was much better at OC.

I want a guy who will teach the team to play hard but not stupid or dirty. We've been penalized way, way, way too much and frankly I've seen a lot of thuggery on this team on the field in recent years perhaps to overcompensate for our reputation as "being soft." I don't like that. You can play tough without being dumb or dirty. See JJ Watt.

We also need game management. The biggest knock on Kubiak I have over the time he was with Houston was that his game management overall was terrible. Clock stupidity, dumb challenges, and a lot of other stuff that just plain didn't make sense at all. That HAS to be shored up with the new coach.

Also, I assume a new coach means we'll have an entire new staff. Wade has been disappointing this year (as is basically tradition for defenses under his leadership----one or two really good years then tailing off). Also, perhaps most unsung is the fact that we need to get rid of Joe Marciano, our special teams coach who has been an unmitigated disaster for years now and has inexplicably held onto his job. Oh yeah, our strength and conditioning staff too. Has to go. Too many damn injuries. Enough. If the new coach can help build depth to mask injuries, that'd be great. That "Next Man Up" crap utopian fantasy only takes you so far though.

I also don't want some college gimmick guy. You strike out on that and it's a waste of time and we'll go from simply having one down year to being in spiral mode where we're forced to truly rebuild.

I don't want Gruden. Overrated and overdiscussed. I'd like Cowher but his offensive creativity is not very prevalent.

I simply don't know who'll be available and I don't know much about coaching staffs around the league to see which coordinators we might pluck.

Get it right, get some talent at the top of the draft (or trade down, my preference), and get back to contention.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #108
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks, Kubes - I was never a fan but you did some very positive things for this franchise.

Pretty disappointed that they are keeping Rick Smith but I think we all knew that really wasn't in play...yet.

I like Shaw and O'Brien from the college ranks - not big on Lovie Smith.
Old 12-06-2013   #109
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113211 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
McNair said they want someone who is innovative and who can make adjustments. Ouch!!!!!
Haven't we been saying that for 5 years now?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #110
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Marciano was let go as well.
Old 12-06-2013   #111
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Classless. after so many years of service, and just one year removed from the Franchises best season ever, no reason not to wait until seasons end. No question it was time to move on from Gary, but like this? Classless.
I'm not sure the better option is to keep Kubiak around when it's obvious he's a lame duck, and even more obvious he has lost the team. In general, I don't agree with firing a HC during the season, but in this case, I think it was the correct thing to do.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #112
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak a step above previous head coach a step below our expectations. Kubiak seams to be a good man so I wish him the best in the future. I would like to thank him for all his hard work while here as our HC.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #113
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102890 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Haven't we been saying that for 5 years now?
Hell yeh!!!
Old 12-06-2013   #114
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 82287 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #115
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Shanahan just called Kubiak and said, "Hey Gary! Remember me? How'd you like to become my offensive coordinator again, and see what you can do with RG3?"

Book it. That's gonna happen.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #116
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Mike Shanahan just called Kubiak and said, "Hey Gary! Remember me? How'd you like to become my offensive coordinator again, and see what you can do with RG3?"

Book it. That's gonna happen.
"Let me just talk to my wife about how to best fire my son and we'll get you out here."
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #117
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 160520 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I give the odds, or in this case percentage, of a 5% chance we hear Kubes is gone by lunchtime tomorrow.

That's low, but up from 0% chance an hour an a half ago.
From the gamethread. Not exactly Nostradamus, but watching last night was just too much. Still though, at the time I was still thinking we were stuck with Kubes indefinitely.

Thanks, Gary, for all your hard work. Your heart was in the right place. Best of luck and good health to you and yours.

Now, pass that bottle of Champagne this way.
Old 12-06-2013   #118
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but why wasn't Kubiak at th presser? When capers was fired he was allowed to answer questions and make a final statement. Did Kubiak choose to skip the presser?
Old 12-06-2013   #119
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Sorry if I missed it in the thread but why wasn't Kubiak at th presser? When capers was fired he was allowed to answer questions and make a final statement. Did Kubiak choose to skip the presser?
That's the rumor. He told his coaches he was gone, and then he left.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #120
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113211 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
As far as I know, Gary met with Bob and was told he would be fired. Gary then met with the coaches to personally give the news. He then went home.

I honestly have no issue with it. The guy has had a rough year and if he doesn't want to talk to the media an hour after getting fired I'm completely fine with it.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read