Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-06-2013   #81
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
it'd suck even worse to pass on him when we had a shot at him and he becomes an elite qb in the league.
This is exactly the kind of mind set and human behavior of why people like Gabbert, Locker, Ponder and Russell get drafted as early as they do. This type of thinking creates hold your nose draft picks that mostly end up as wasted picks.

Quote:
One thing you have to consider is, can a good nfl coach take the raw skills/talent bridgewater possesses and really get the most out of him.
You've watched several Louisville games so have I. It's not hard to see that the ball comes out of Bridgewater's hand a little slow and often with a lack of zip. When he goes deep his passes need more air than most get there. That floater spells INT in the NFL. With Teddy's arm all coaching can really do is perfect a < 12 yd passing game to go with that arm. He doesn't have enough uumph. If the Bearcats pressure rattled his accuracy imagine what an NFL defense will do to that accuracy.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #82
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's fair. I just don't see what you described as a #1 overall pick.
That's fine.

I'm not trying to convince anyone he is. I'm just saying it's an important decision so every aspect should be considered.

Well, not so much for us...but I hope whoever is making this call hasn't made up their mind on these guys yet. Lots if things to consider.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #83
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Sucks this crappy record couldn't have waited a year.
Indeed it does.

QB is not looking like the best choice at 1/1, although the hype machine will build it up that way by May.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #84
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sold on Teddy Bridgewater at all. Nothing he does really stands out and grabs you...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #85
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's fine.

I'm not trying to convince anyone he is. I'm just saying it's an important decision so every aspect should be considered.

Well, not so much for us...but I hope whoever is making this call hasn't made up their mind on these guys yet. Lots if things to consider.
I was on Teddy's side last week but after last night , without the glove , I'm not sure . Drafting a QB #1 overall , he can't have any warts . In 2002 the Texans took that to mean facial warts and look where that got them .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #86
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I was on Teddy's side last week but after last night , without the glove , I'm not sure . Drafting a QB #1 overall , he can't have any warts . In 2002 the Texans took that to mean facial warts and look where that got them .
I've mixed feelings also...Right now we have Neil O'Donnell (Schaub) and Billy Volek (Keenum) backing him up. No reason to add Geno Smith to that mix.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #87
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've mixed feelings also...Right now we have Neil O'Donnell (Schaub) and Billy Volek (Keenum) backing him up. No reason to add Geno Smith to that mix.
I'd keep Volek because he works cheap , I might keep TJ . If Murray and Mettenberger fell to the 4th and 5th round I might take them both . I might have a ... wait for it .... QB competition .

Round Dan
Old 12-06-2013   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Hey Boys and Girls, Greg Blair could be a solid option for a mid draft ILB.
I am starting to focus on him. ESPN has him ranked 6-7 round #232. Dude is a tackler 2012: 138 T 9 TFLs, 2.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 6 pass breakups. He is 6'2 252
Old 12-06-2013   #89
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd keep Volek because he works cheap , I might keep TJ . If Murray and Mettenberger fell to the 4th and 5th round I might take them both . I might have a ... wait for it .... QB competition .
if you need a qb, fishing for one late in the draft is the longest of long shots....so that's only a good option if you did that 3 years ago.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #90
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
if you need a qb, fishing for one late in the draft is the longest of long shots....so that's only a good option if you did that 3 years ago.
I think both Murray and Mettenberger have talent . They also have torn ACL tears which is going to make them fall .

Round Dan
Old 12-06-2013   #91
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think both Murray and Mettenberger have talent . They also have torn ACL tears which is going to make them fall .
Mettenberger to the 2nd/3rd at the latest.

Murray to the 3/4th

Which one do you like the best in those rds?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #92
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The current Texans coaching staff has never been able to develop a player, especially with top-shelf talent, into anything better than his Day-One capability. With a new staff, one could hope.

The Texans entered the NFL one year too late to get Michael Vick. They suck one year too soon to get Jameis Winston. Bridgewater would be the best QB prospect they've had since David Carr. You'd hope the new staff would know what to do with him.
Old 12-06-2013   #93
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Finally got around to watching his game against Cincinnati. Rough first half but I like the way he bounced back in the 2nd. His O-line is nothing special and there were quite a few drops but he showed some real competitiveness and put his team on his back to finish off a tough opponent. He got in a groove and was extremely efficient towards the end including a circus scramble on 4th down and an Eli Manning-esque heave that resulted in a TD.

He looked like he was in total command of that offense and I really like his feet in the pocket and how quickly he was getting rid of the football. No panic in him at any point. Once he hit his stride his accuracy was top notch. It sounded to me like David Pollack (one of the announcers) was skeptical at the beginning of the game and by the end he had bought in.

I like the fact that he just turned 21 but has had 3 years under center and made improvements to his game every year. QBs are notoriously difficult to project to the next level but I would be excited to see him develop for us.
Old 12-06-2013   #94
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Finally got around to watching his game against Cincinnati. Rough first half but I like the way he bounced back in the 2nd. His O-line is nothing special and there were quite a few drops but he showed some real competitiveness and put his team on his back to finish off a tough opponent. He got in a groove and was extremely efficient towards the end including a circus scramble on 4th down and an Eli Manning-esque heave that resulted in a TD.

He looked like he was in total command of that offense and I really like his feet in the pocket and how quickly he was getting rid of the football. No panic in him at any point. Once he hit his stride his accuracy was top notch. It sounded to me like David Pollack (one of the announcers) was skeptical at the beginning of the game and by the end he had bought in.

I like the fact that he just turned 21 but has had 3 years under center and made improvements to his game every year. QBs are notoriously difficult to project to the next level but I would be excited to see him develop for us.
I was impressed by his play in the 4th quarter. His line was not very good but he wouldnt panic and would make the play. His accuracy is pretty good. Overall, I would love the Texans to draft him from what I have seen and read about him.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #95
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not pushing for TB (or anyone else). To me it's too early. I've seen some good posters getting nervous or flat out condemn TB for the last game or another game. "#1 picks shouldn't have questions"

Honest question - did Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning never have poor games in college?
Old 12-06-2013   #96
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I'm not pushing for TB (or anyone else). To me it's too early. I've seen some good posters getting nervous or flat out condemn TB for the last game or another game. "#1 picks shouldn't have questions"

Honest question - did Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning never have poor games in college?
I'm sure they did, though Luck played in a resurgent Pac 12 and Stafford/Peyton played SEC teams. Teddy's biggest question was competition and a poor first half against an un-ranked Cincy takes the tiniest amount of polish from his armor.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #97
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post

I don't mind QB's having bad games but even watching Bridgewater's highlights has me concerned over the Texans taking him. He reminds me of Vince Young. He has the mobility to make his college team very good but his arm is questionable. He seems to lob way too many of his passes and it simply won't work in the NFL. I would be very concerned if the Texans decided to take TB.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #98
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

blah blah blah blah ****ing blah.... does anyone really watch the tape or better question, does anyone around here know how to evaluate QB play? but then again, given Texan history I can't really blame y'all... lol

this kid is special, mark it down.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #99
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The bust rate is higher for 1st round QB's because that's where teams are drafting starting Quarterbacks. 75% of the starting QB's in the NFL were drafted in the top 40 picks.

If 3 of 4 QB's drafted in the 1st round bust that's still a 25% success rate for those 1st round QB's.

Typically around 10 QB's get drafted after the top 40 picks and usually only 1 guy makes it at most. That's a 10% success rate at best.

Despite the high bust rate of QB's drafted in the 1st round, your odds of finding a franchise QB are still much higher in the 1st round than any other round.
To add to this, the success of the first QB taken in each draft compared to QB's taken in the first round is much much higher.

If you have a chance to take the first QB in a draft and you know what you are doing, you do it. I'm very hopefully the new coaching staff will put in the time and effort to make an accurate judgement on this.
Old 12-07-2013   #100
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
To add to this, the success of the first QB taken in each draft compared to QB's taken in the first round is much much higher.
I think that is accurate. I'd only call 4 of the past 16 busts.

EJ Manuel - too soon to judge and taken much lower than usual
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford - disappointing to date
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Alex Smith - underwhelming
Eli Manning
Carson Palmer - never the same after injury but not a bad pick
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington - 1st taken but bottom half of 1st round.
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read