Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-04-2013   #21
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David Carr turned down two teams to stay with family

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not really debatable. Capers developed neither a good O or D. The D at 15 for one season was the only unit he ever had in the top half of the league. Marciano was here the whole time and Capers hired an out of coaching bed and breakfast owner as OC.

Was that joe pendry? If so that guy was horrible. His super simplistic gameplan was brutal.
Old 12-04-2013   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good for him. That's what he should be doing, particularly at this point in his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carr
It’s amazing what 12 years in the NFL can do to you,” Carr said. “You see a lot of things, you learn a lot, you grow as a father and husband and you learn some things are more important than going out and collecting a check, standing there and trying to be 100 percent into the deal.
I mean, in 12 years it's not like he ever grew as a QB. No sense in wasting anymore time on that little lark right?
Old 12-04-2013   #23
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
not to be a jerk or anything, but how does a 2 year old get diabetes?
The same way they get any other disease.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #24
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Oline was not nearly as terrible as people make out. The change from the very mobile Carr to the sloth Schaub had the team go from 43 sacks to 22. Only RT changed going from Wiegert to Winston.

Carr just across the board was not real committed to football and was aloof from the team. He rarely organized extra work or meetings with the WRs. He didn't socialize with his OL. He didn't stay at the facility and study tape with the coaches, WRs and QBs.
I also got the impression that the Fresno bunch wasn't very worldly . It was like they grew up in a commune with only their family .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

He always prioritized family. Any sane, normal, upstanding, moral person should encourage that from its members of society. But we football fans want our players and coaches to all but completely neglect their families for most of the year (and I did say we lol). It's a paradox, but hey, it is what it is.

Anyway, good for him.
Old 12-04-2013   #26
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He always prioritized family. Any sane, normal, upstanding, moral person should encourage that from its members of society. But we football fans want our players and coaches to all but completely neglect their families for most of the year (and I did say we lol). It's a paradox, but hey, it is what it is.

Anyway, good for him.

Thats my concern if we draft Derek because like his brother he is already married with a kid, and I believe I heard the baby was in the hospital with some complications last summer.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway, good for him.
Yep,

This is why I dont want the Texans drafting Derek Carr.

Is my thought process wrong?

BTW, Dont the Mannings have a strong family unit? The Matthews?

The family thing is just an excuse for David's lack of work ethic. My dad used to work 14 or more hrs a day and we had a strong family unit. David wouldn't work that hard even watching film at home. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #28
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep,

Is my thought process wrong?

BTW, Dont the Mannings have a strong family unit? The Matthews?

The family thing is just an excuse for David's lack of work ethic. My dad used to work 14 or more hrs a day and we had a strong family unit. David wouldn't work that hard even watching film at home. IMHO

How often did you get to see your dad and how long were you able to spend time with him given he worked 14+ hours a day?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #29
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway, good for him.
I don't know, is it really too much to ask someone making $8M+ a year to put in 80-hour work weeks half of the year for 10 years of their life? I don't think so and I'd be more than happy to sign up for that kind of job.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #30
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I don't know, is it really too much to ask someone making $8M+ a year to put in 80-hour work weeks half of the year for 10 years of their life? I don't think so and I'd be more than happy to sign up for that kind of job.

Well from the viewpoint of normal folks who put in 40+ hours a week for 30-90k of course not. The reality is though that 80 hour weeks suck and only a small portion of the population puts those kind of hours in and their work year certainly is longer than 6 months although Id imagine on reduced hours. Eriadoc makes a good point and a lot of these folks spend minimal time with their family during the season
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Kids grow up fast. I'd be there too so I think he's doing the right thing in lieu of all the money he has made. It's not like he's a working stiff and has to work or suffer financial hardship. David is sacking his career for a good and worthy cause. I wish his babies good luck fighting this awful disease.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

The Texans aren't drafting Derek Carr. That's a brand name McNair knows he can't sell in Houston.

David Carr made millions, went unscathed the last 5 or 6 years, and has a Super Bowl ring. Why wouldn't he leave the game to take care of his family? Kind of a no-brainer. I expect his brother to become a better QB, when all is said and done.
Old 12-07-2013   #33
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway, good for him.
I can only speculate on these guys' relationship with their families, but I am not sure that any of the true superstar and grinders of sports are truly well balanced individuals in terms of work, life friend priority.
Old 12-07-2013   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway, good for him.
I agree with the exception that a QB is like an executive putting in long hours for big money . These guys are type A personalities , it's just as important as arm strength . Carr is a nice amiable guy and now he's where he should be .

The other side of the coin is Phillip Rivers who has seven kids . Rivers is ultra competitive and can't help but grind .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 12-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2013   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway, good for him.
Two different scenarios - now and the beginning of his career. Now makes perfect sense to prioritize family. He's been paid $60 mil+ in his career. A mil means virtually nothing and his kid has extra needs over the ordinary. Good for him on this one.

But the start of his career was different. NFL careers are short. 95%+ are done by the time a player is 35. Just because God said it was ok to start using his pecker didn't mean he had to instantly start procreating like a rabbit. He could have easily fulfilled both by waiting a while on kids. People do it all the time.
Old 12-07-2013   #36
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Two different scenarios - now and the beginning of his career. Now makes perfect sense to prioritize family. He's been paid $60 mil+ in his career. A mil means virtually nothing and his kid has extra needs over the ordinary. Good for him on this one.

But the start of his career was different. NFL careers are short. 95%+ are done by the time a player is 35. Just because God said it was ok to start using his pecker didn't mean he had to instantly start procreating like a rabbit. He could have easily fulfilled both by waiting a while on kids. People do it all the time.
His brother is on the same path .

Round Dan
Old 12-07-2013   #37
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The other side of the coin is Phillip Rivers who has seven kids . Rivers is ultra competitive and can't help but grind .
It's a scary thought that Rivers procreated at all. The fact that he procreated this much is terrifying.

This means that there will be a lot of wedgies and swirlies to go around in their school district. If my kids were growing up with his kids, I'd move.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
How often did you get to see your dad and how long were you able to spend time with him given he worked 14+ hours a day?
Not as much as he are I would've liked.

But he understood work ethic and we have a close bond.

Why didn't David just show up for the games and not even practice more than he absolutely had too or watch film in his spare time? He should've spent that time with his family and forfited his paychecks.

When you sign up for certain jobs you know they are not 9-5 jobs and QB of an NFL team is one of those jobs. If you aren't willing to put in the time, you should seek out that 9-5 job so that you can spend more time with your family. If that's what's most important to you. David split it down the middle and ruined the Texans original foundation building process.

So no, to Derek Carr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #39
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The same way they get any other disease.
Hardly.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
From the link
Quote:
First of all, I wouldn’t be able to give 100 percent to the team I was with and I just wanted to be honest with them, so I called the general managers and told them personally.
'bout time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read