Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you think McNair WILL, not SHOULD, fire Kubiak?
Yes 101 75.94%
NO 32 24.06%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2013   #61
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Poll: WILL McNair fire Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
It is embarrassing

Im saying if he makes that change it will make the difference

Im just not ready to give up and clean house

Bob Mcnair should be straight up going into next season and tell all texans fans he's on the hot seat

There's no point in cleaning house now. The sumbitch burned down already.
Old 12-04-2013   #62
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer and Metal View Post
I don't think he'll have to. Kubiak will retire for health reasons.
That my friend is no way based in reality. Kubiak is a HC in the NFL and they're all driven by ego. You and I have watched this cat from day one and if there's anything that can be discerned from what we've seen from day one is that the man certainly has the ego that will not in any shape, form or fashion allow him to "retire for health reasons".

Never happen, GI.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #63
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Just two days ago McClain was adamant Kubiak was deservedly gone and today he writes a column about the need to keep him? I can see where this freight train is heading...
Old 12-04-2013   #64
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
They will lose fans and money only if they continue to lose, which I believe is unlikely. Winning solves all problems.
Not quite. If they keep Kubiak another year, NO WAY will they be able to justify raising ticket prices even a penny. It would be impossible. That means that they will lose money for next year.

If they start winning next year, they can raise prices the following year. But next year? No way.

Bob can forget about an increase in profits for 2014.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #65
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Initially I thought Kubiak was good as gone but murmurs about Kubiak staying put have convinced me he will stay. I hope I'm wrong. Mcnair retaining this coaching staff would let me know two things:

1. Mcnair doesn't care about winning only about money.

2. I won't have a nfl team to root for. I won't support continued mediocrity.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #66
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
Just two days ago McClain was adamant Kubiak was deservedly gone and today he writes a column about the need to keep him? I can see where this freight train is heading...
Where?
Old 12-04-2013   #67
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Initially I thought Kubiak was good as gone but murmurs about Kubiak staying put have convinced me he will stay. I hope I'm wrong. Mcnair retaining this coaching staff would let me know two things:

1. Mcnair doesn't care about winning only about money.

2. I won't have a nfl team to root for. I won't support continued mediocrity.
Again: he makes more money by firing him and starting over. He can't justify price increases to fans.

I don't think it's about winning vs money; I think it's about winning vs friendship. McNair values his relationship with Kubiak much, much more than money and winning. That's the bigger issue.

Make no mistake: my friends are more important than money and business.

But that's also why I don't do business with friends.
Old 12-04-2013   #68
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Again: he makes more money by firing him and starting over. He can't justify price increases to fans.

I don't think it's about winning vs money; I think it's about winning vs friendship. McNair values his relationship with Kubiak much, much more than money and winning. That's the bigger issue.

Make no mistake: my friends are more important than money and business.

But that's also why I don't do business with friends.
Friendships aside, Mcnair knows the NFL is a results driven league. He hung with Kubiak when we were calling for his head 3 years ago. But it's time for a change.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #69
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak probably survives another 6-10 season with his health scare, but only 2-3 wins? The poor guy is already fired, he just has to fill out the paperwork to make it formal.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #70
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
Just two days ago McClain was adamant Kubiak was deservedly gone and today he writes a column about the need to keep him?...
I read McClain's Wedneday's column differently.

I don't think McClain was advocating keeping Kubiak. He was merely discussing - speculating really - what will go into McNair's decision of whether or not to keep him.

McClain has made it clear in his recent appearances on 610 that he believes/predicts Kubiak will be let go. But, as a reporter, he's careful to straddle the fence.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #71
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

If McNair thinks there is any chance he can sell keeping Kubiak he will do it. Problem for McNair is there just isn't any reason to retain him. The mini stroke is not a reason to keep him. I don't understand that line of thinking. Who does that in the real world (for something that lasted such a short period)except to protect themselves from a lawsuit. Now if Kubiak had remained out for most of the season then yes I could buy that. But the guy rushed back missing only the next game. McNair may float a trial balloon or 2 out there himself or through someone else to gauge public reaction to keeping Kubiak but the results would be overwhelmingly against it. So in the end I voted yes.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #72
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not quite. If they keep Kubiak another year, NO WAY will they be able to justify raising ticket prices even a penny. It would be impossible. That means that they will lose money for next year.

If they start winning next year, they can raise prices the following year. But next year? No way.

Bob can forget about an increase in profits for 2014.
You are reasoning like a liberal : Bob McNair will lose money if he doesn't INCREASE his PROFITS. I reason like a business man : you are losing money only if your financial statement is in the red. I have no idea what the financial condition of the Texan organization is, but I've read that it is one of the most profitable in the league. It's unlikely the organization will be in the red next season, especially if we start winning again.

Based solely on profitability, business' seldom make major changes after only one red statement. I think this argument can be put to bed as a reason McNair may make changes.

If changes are made it will be based on McNair's analysis and decision on whether Kubiak can turn the team around next season and whether we are on track to winning in the playoffs.

The mood of the fans are unlikely to be a primary influence.

Last edited by Number19; 12-05-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #73
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post

I don't think McClain was advocating keeping Kubiak. He was merely discussing - speculating really - what will go into McNair's decision of whether or not to keep him.

McClain has made it clear in his recent appearances on 610 that he believes/predicts Kubiak will be let go. But, as a reporter, he's careful to straddle the fence.
I could see that. Would be interested to know if any of the local sports shows on 610 have McClain on today and what he says on air...
Old 12-05-2013   #74
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5487 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "Yes", because I don't see how he can keep him around and be taken seriously after Kubiak so obviously lost the team. Add on how many years Kubiak has had to get it right. There are no excuses left for how a playoff "Super Bowl bound team" is 2-10.

If he hadn't lost the team I would be certain in Kubiak's return next season, but since he has.... I just can't fathom how he would be able to keep him. (Without the fans and players losing their minds)

Even with my vote of yes, there is still that fear of "we are on the right track".
Old 12-05-2013   #75
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post

Here is the tweet with the article. It allowed me to read whole thing vs being an online subscriber

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 21h
Texans house cleaning would be foolish http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...f26322cc308649
I took it as John going all in on nothing happening. Though it could advocate keeping Smith and letting Kubes go but the article talks about Kubiak being needed to train up the QBs. Depressing to see since he was yelling that the team was quitting just last week.
Old 12-05-2013   #76
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Here is the tweet with the article. It allowed me to read whole thing vs being an online subscriber

I took it as John going all in on nothing happening. Though it could advocate keeping Smith and letting Kubes go but the article talks about Kubiak being needed to train up the QBs. Depressing to see since he was yelling that the team was quitting just last week.
I didn't read the article. I rarely read anything from anyone at that rag.

I did happen to hear him (over the wheezing and panting) on 610. The bolded is the direction it sounded like he was leaning while on the radio.

Then again, like someone already mentioned, he flip flops so much....who knows?
Old 12-05-2013   #77
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
You are reasoning like a liberal : Bob McNair will lose money if he doesn't INCREASE his PROFITS. I reason like a business man : you are losing money only if your financial statement is in the red. I have no idea what the financial condition of the Texan organization is, but I've read that it is one of the most profitable in the league. It's unlikely the organization will be in the red next season, especially if we start winning again.

Based solely on profitability, business' seldom make major changes after only one red statement. I think this argument can be put to bed as a reason McNair may make changes.

If changes are made it will be based on McNair's analysis and decision on whether Kubiak can turn the team around next season and whether we are on track to winning in the playoffs.

The mood of the fans are unlikely to be a primary influence.
That's nonsense. Politics has nothing to do with this. I am speaking as a business person and a season ticket holder.

You can only push your customers so far. Especially in an field like entertainment (which is what football is). It's not like the airlines, which can unfortunately get away with a certain amount of price gouging. But, when it comes to football, fans can simply find other means of entertainment.

I am not saying that the Texans will be in the red if they keep Kubiak. I am saying that if they keep him, they will make less profits next year, because they will have zero justificiation for raising ticket prices to their consumers.

I am not talking about the mood of the fans; I am talking about the mood of the people buying tickets at Reliant.

McNair knows who pays the bills.
Old 12-05-2013   #78
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not talking about the mood of the fans; I am talking about the mood of the people buying tickets at Reliant.

McNair knows who pays the bills.
Yes he does and it is TV on contracts done for extended periods. Seats at Reliant doesn't come close to covering salaries. Not raising ticket prices is a flea on an elephant's butt.* The TV contracts and league wide merchandizing revenue are long term deals. So knowing TV and merchandizing are the elephant in the room McNair knows he does not need to be particularly responsive to mercurial fans.

* Seat revenue this year is $65.25 mil. So a 5% increase missed next year is $3,262,500. That doesn't cover Wade Smith's tab.
Old 12-05-2013   #79
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That my friend is no way based in reality. Kubiak is a HC in the NFL and they're all driven by ego. You and I have watched this cat from day one and if there's anything that can be discerned from what we've seen from day one is that the man certainly has the ego that will not in any shape, form or fashion allow him to "retire for health reasons".

Never happen, GI.
Pretty much this. I mean, sure if there were overwhelming heath considerations then yeah. If he had a year to live or was diagnosed with some disease that requires full-time treatment to even have a chance of surviving of course he retires due to health reasons. Mini-stroke just isn't going to cut it though.
Old 12-05-2013   #80
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes he does and it is TV on contracts done for extended periods. Seats at Reliant doesn't come close to covering salaries. Not raising ticket prices is a flea on an elephant's butt.* The TV contracts and league wide merchandizing revenue are long term deals. So knowing TV and merchandizing are the elephant in the room McNair knows he does not need to be particularly responsive to mercurial fans.

* Seat revenue this year is $65.25 mil. So a 5% increase missed next year is $3,262,500. That doesn't cover Wade Smith's tab.
I'm guessing that doesn't cover the suites?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read