Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-02-2013   #101
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We are number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Reggie white minus the heart.
I don't know about the heart. I have watched 4 Ole Miss games this year and I was far more impressed with Nkemdiche's freshman year than anything I saw in Clowny's freshman year. I'm predicting Nkemdiche to be the #1 pick in the 2016 draft.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #102
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I don't know about the heart. I have watched 4 Ole Miss games this year and I was far more impressed with Nkemdiche's freshman year than anything I saw in Clowny's freshman year. I'm predicting Nkemdiche to be the #1 pick in the 2016 draft.
I think he's trying to claim Clowney doesn't have the heart for football.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #103
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He very well could be.

But you're understating Clowney. He had 12 TFL and 8 sacks as a true freshman. 23.5 TFL and 13 sacks as a soph. In a scheme where he would rotate between a 43 strong end and a 34 weak end.

Nkemdiche has 8 TFL and 1 sack.

They play different positions so the numbers are obviously lower for Robert. Nkemdiche shows awesome skills and plenty of potential. Has played very well. But Clowney was killing SEC linemen.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #104
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm salivating at the possibility of Clowney & Watt on the same field. Imagine the luxury of applying pressure w/o blitzing. Every QB & OC won't sleep well in the weeks leading up to the game against the Texans.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What if Clowney decides he is going nowhere on this Texans team and does not want to get hurt? Rookie contracts are not what they used to be so why not take it easy and turn it on later for a new contract?
Old 12-03-2013   #106
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What if Clowney decides he is going nowhere on this Texans team and does not want to get hurt? Rookie contracts are not what they used to be so why not take it easy and turn it on later for a new contract?
Because Clowney will have to produce or he wont get that contract.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #107
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So as the #1 NFL pick he gets no upfront bonus or guaranteed money? He can produce some at 50% as he has in college. He was not benched or cut or even disciplined.
Old 12-03-2013   #108
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So as the #1 NFL pick he gets no upfront bonus or guaranteed money? He can produce some at 50% as he has in college. He was not benched or cut or even disciplined.
I'm talking about the big $$$$ 2nd contract.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #109
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, #1 picks usually get their entire contract GTD and that's in the neighborhood of $20 mil.
Old 12-03-2013   #110
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
No, #1 picks usually get their entire contract GTD and that's in the neighborhood of $20 mil.
Exactly my point! So we risk that on a guy who might show up at game time or might not? IMO, we have to hit on our first round pick and much more so than we did with Mercilus. I want an impact player that has proven in college that he plays 100%, one hundred percent of time. I don't want to wait for the pick's second year (if that soon) to beat out anyone ahead of him. Bridgewater. I think there are only two players ranked in first round that are as close to guaranteed day one starter for many years. C J Mosley and Jake Matthews. Hopefully both can be had after trading down a bit.
Old 12-03-2013   #111
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly my point! So we risk that on a guy who might show up at game time or might not? IMO, we have to hit on our first round pick and much more so than we did with Mercilus. I want an impact player that has proven in college that he plays 100%, one hundred percent of time. I don't want to wait for the pick's second year (if that soon) to beat out anyone ahead of him. Bridgewater. I think there are only two players ranked in first round that are as close to guaranteed day one starter for many years. C J Mosley and Jake Matthews. Hopefully both can be had after trading down a bit.
Jake Mathews will get lit up if he starts at LT his rookie season.
Old 12-03-2013   #112
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Exactly my point! So we risk that on a guy who might show up at game time or might not?
Like SteelB pointed out, if he wants his next contract to be worth $100 million that's not likely to happen. What do think JJ's next contract will be worth?
Old 12-03-2013   #113
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing about Clowney's tape suggests he doesn't show up at games, stop swallowing that media narrative wholesale.
Old 12-03-2013   #114
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The number 1 pick this year should get about 4 years 23 million completely guaranteed. The split between salary and signing bonus is always negotiated, but it's generally about 50/50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yeah, but some guys just don't think ahead like you're doing here. They get that 1st contract, get a signing bonus, and it goes to their heads. Clowney strikes me as the kind of guy where that would happen. He will show up his rookie year, decline years 2&3, then wake up in year 4 when he's due for a new contract. It's the Albert Haynesworth model.

I could see him end up like Mario Williams too. An athletic freak of nature, but lacks the heart and competitive drive to be the best he can be.
Old 12-03-2013   #115
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Nothing about Clowney's tape suggests he doesn't show up at games, stop swallowing that media narrative wholesale.
He has 35 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 3 sacks and 1 FF through 11 games this year. Compare that to last year when he totaled 40 tackles, 13 sacks, 23 TFL and 3 FF. I think that sharp decline says a lot about him and validates the lack of conditioning reports.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...clowney-1.html
Old 12-03-2013   #116
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Jake Mathews will get lit up if he starts at LT his rookie season.
Come on. No one has said to start him at LT. He is to play RT until Brown shifts or leaves. You have read that in several posts.
Old 12-03-2013   #117
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Like SteelB pointed out, if he wants his next contract to be worth $100 million that's not likely to happen. What do think JJ's next contract will be worth?
Not as much as you and others do. It is quite possible he will not get a new contract for at least three more years and contracts will continue to dwindle as players and teams adjust to new cap restrictions.
Old 12-03-2013   #118
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He has 35 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 3 sacks and 1 FF through 11 games this year. Compare that to last year when he totaled 40 tackles, 13 sacks, 23 TFL and 3 FF. I think that sharp decline says a lot about him and validates the lack of conditioning reports.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...clowney-1.html
He also has the second-highest number of QB pressures, but even then my argument was about the tape. It would only take you ~8 minutes more to watch his Tennessee game from this year over the amount of time it took you to look up some stats.
Old 12-03-2013   #119
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Come on. No one has said to start him at LT. He is to play RT until Brown shifts or leaves. You have read that in several posts.
I think he's responding to the fact that he's a LT prospect and you called him a day one starter. Is that just for us? Or for every team?

Obviously, if we draft Matthews he's playing RT for the foreseeable future. If someone else drafts him he's probably playing LT.

IIRC, Mussop has been on record before that he doesn't see Matthews as a "franchise LT". I personally think he's overrated as a prospect, but he's still a darn good player.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #120
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think he's responding to the fact that he's a LT prospect and you called him a day one starter. Is that just for us? Or for every team?

Obviously, if we draft Matthews he's playing RT for the foreseeable future. If someone else drafts him he's probably playing LT.

IIRC, Mussop has been on record before that he doesn't see Matthews as a "franchise LT". I personally think he's overrated as a prospect, but he's still a darn good player.
Since the thread is about Texans, I just assumed all would know my comment about Mosley and Matthews is directed at us drafting him to play RT. All of us on this thread have read all the mocks and most of talk about Matthews playing RT for Texans and moving to LT when Brown no longer there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read