Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-29-2013   #101
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65637 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

This looks like an 11 on 7 scrimmage. Any further Carr evaluation will have to come in his bowl game.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #102
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can tell is that he looks identical to his brother with a helmet on.
Old 12-02-2013   #103
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
This looks like an 11 on 7 scrimmage. Any further Carr evaluation will have to come in his bowl game.
He already accepted a Senior Bowl invite, which was very smart on his part. It will be a good chance for him to showcase his ability and impress coaches.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #104
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
All I can tell is that he looks identical to his brother with a helmet on.
Yes. They even move the same.

When I see him play, I see David.

Which makes me worry about his mental ability.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #105
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yes. They even move the same.

When I see him play, I see David.

Which makes me worry about his mental ability.
He had better touch and placement than David ever did. Plus, he actually threw the ball away instead of running out of bounds behind the LOS.

Man that would be an interview to be a fly on the wall.
Old 12-02-2013   #106
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd really like to see Derek play against a strong D in a bowl game, like a Missouri or LSU to see what he can do. He's got all the physical skills, and it would be interesting to see him face a D that can provide some adversity.

If he takes the preparation side much more seriously than his brother he'd be an interesting candidate, especially in a trade down situation. You'd hope he has learned from his brothers mistakes
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #107
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I'd really like to see Derek play against a strong D in a bowl game, like a Missouri or LSU to see what he can do. He's got all the physical skills, and it would be interesting to see him face a D that can provide some adversity.

If he takes the preparation side much more seriously than his brother he'd be an interesting candidate, especially in a trade down situation. You'd hope he has learned from his brothers mistakes
Most projections have Fresno St playing USC in the Las Vegas Bowl, which would be interesting. USC's defense has played very well most of the season. Their strength isn't in the secondary though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #108
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't think he'd do very well against a stout defense..i originally thought he'd be a good option for us just based on the numbers he was putting up...but i went back and looked at a little video on him...his decision making wasn't that great and most of what i saw him throw was short underneath stuff....Deja Vu like a mother...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #109
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

His WR Davante Adams looks like a real stud.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #110
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

He's already married and has a kid. Normally that wouldn't be much of a problem to me, but I don't see any evidence that his priorities are any different than David's were.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #111
Lucky

Rep Power: 191859 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
His WR Davante Adams looks like a real stud.
Reminds me of a young Michael Irvin. Would love to see him in a Texans uniform.
Old 12-06-2013   #112
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
What if the Browns offered both their #1s for the 1st overall ?
Not enough IMO. Now give me 7 , 25 & 40 .... and next years first rounder and you got a deal.

The Redskins moved from 6 to 2 giving up the #6 & 39 along with two future first round picks. I'd want compensation equal or greater for the #1 overall choice.

7 Cameron Erving
25 CJ Mosley
33 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
40 Tajh Boyd or Aaron Murray

Yeah , I think I could go for a draft like that.

Those very early picks are a lot more valuable today than they were just a few short years ago because they are not as expensive - no more $78m for Matthew Stafford. Instead you get Andrew Luck for 4 years $22m. That's not to compare the players but their draft position and contract value.

What's disturbing is that Carr Version 2.0 might actually be the best QB in this draft .... which is unfortunate for the Texans because I just cant see them taking him with the history of HWWNBM & Rodger.

At least he doesn't wear #8

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #113
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Not enough IMO. Now give me 7 , 25 & 40 .... and next years first rounder and you got a deal.

The Redskins moved from 6 to 2 giving up the #6 & 39 along with two future first round picks. I'd want compensation equal or greater for the #1 overall choice.
There just aren't very good odds of that happening. I doubt any team covets a player in this draft as much as Washington coveted RG3 in that draft. Washington has kind of ruined the trade back scenario because they really overpaid and people think that is fair value now. It's not.

By the draft value chart, Washington gave up about 4,000 points to grab a pick worth 2,600 points.

Getting 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year would be about 3,750 points for a pick worth 3,000. In our scenario, it's much more likely that we get closer to fair value because we will either select a guy #1 or be desperate to trade back.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-06-2013   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post

Which is why if I were an owner I wouldn't pick Derek to be my franchise QB even if he was available in the 7th rd.

I've seen enough of Rodger Carr/David Carr to last me a lifetime.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #115
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

7 Cameron Erving
25 CJ Mosley
33 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

Those very early picks are a lot more valuable today than they were just a few short years ago because they are not as expensive - no more $78m for Matthew Stafford. Instead you get Andrew Luck for 4 years $22m. That's not to compare the players but their draft position and contract value.

What's disturbing is that Carr Version 2.0 might actually be the best QB in this draft .... which is unfortunate for the Texans because I just cant see them taking him with the history of HWWNBM & Rodger.

problem is that there is no Luck or RG3 at the top of this draft, so you won't get as big a haul.

Can you imagine McNair asking himself if he really wants to be the guy to hand 100 million dollars to the Carr family on spec?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #116
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
There just aren't very good odds of that happening. I doubt any team covets a player in this draft as much as Washington coveted RG3 in that draft. Washington has kind of ruined the trade back scenario because they really overpaid and people think that is fair value now. It's not.

By the draft value chart, Washington gave up about 4,000 points to grab a pick worth 2,600 points.

Getting 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year would be about 3,750 points for a pick worth 3,000. In our scenario, it's much more likely that we get closer to fair value because we will either select a guy #1 or be desperate to trade back.
The trade value chart is off though because of the contracts under the new CBA. Unless a new one has come out? High picks are much more valuable now that they carry less risk.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #117
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
The trade value chart is off though because of the contracts under the new CBA. Unless a new one has come out? High picks are much more valuable now that they carry less risk.
Good point and I agree. I'm rarely the guy who pulls out the draft chart but I do think it's still the best barometer when looking at a huge trade like that one.

Basically my point is if you're waiting for that trade offer to come along then I hope you have someone in mind for that #1 pick because odds are you're going to be turning in that card before you get close to the offer that you want.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-06-2013   #118
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

7 Cameron Erving
25 CJ Mosley
33 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

Right now , nobody has revealed himself to be worth moving up for and that's a big issue . If you can get Carr's ol man a GM job , you could probably get 5 first round picks to give him a shot to draft Derek .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #119
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Good point and I agree. I'm rarely the guy who pulls out the draft chart but I do think it's still the best barometer when looking at a huge trade like that one.

Basically my point is if you're waiting for that trade offer to come along then I hope you have someone in mind for that #1 pick because odds are you're going to be turning in that card before you get close to the offer that you want.
I'm really just homering at this point and hoping we get something like 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year. I agree with you that Washington spoiled the trade back scenario and we'd be beyond lucky to get this. I just don't want to face reality yet!
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #120
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I'm really just homering at this point and hoping we get something like 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year. I agree with you that Washington spoiled the trade back scenario and we'd be beyond lucky to get this. I just don't want to face reality yet!
I would love a trade back like that because this team sorely needs talent at a lot of places. I won't hold out hope though. If the Texans have taught me one thing it's to stop being a homer and become a realist. I don't even get mad anymore. I see a game like last night and just nod my head and think to myself "yea, that looks about right".

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read