Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-25-2013   #41
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Were number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
After the last 8 yrs of Schaub, I would rather draft McCarron in the 3rd (Same size/arm stegth/taler etc in the 3rrd rd than take Bridgewater #1 over all. They have many of the same attributrs.
And with that torn ACL he suffered this week he is just as mobile as Schaub too.

*Disregard - I'm a dumba$$*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 11-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #42
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
And with that torn ACL he suffered this week he is just as mobile as Schaub too.
Are you thinking of Aaron Murray from Georgia?
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Are you thinking of Aaron Murray from Georgia?
You are correct. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #44
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet anything Teddy Bridgewater prays every day that we fall to the first round pick so he can end up here in Houston rather than in Jacksonville
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #45
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85187 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
After the last 8 yrs of Schaub, I would rather draft McCarron in the 3rd (Same size/arm stegth/taler etc in the 3rrd rd than take Bridgewater #1 over all. They have many of the same attributrs.
So you would rather have Schaub Jr instead of a guy who compares favorably to Andrew Luck, albeit not quite that talented?

Bridgewater has the same quick release, quick feet, great pocket presence, and quick decision making that Luck does. The only thing he doesn't have is Luck's experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line or his elite arm.

I've seen what Schaub and McCarron can do. We don't need a game mananger. Game managers don't win championships unless they have the 2000 Ravens defense behind them. The league has changed and you need a Quarterback to win big.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #46
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
So you would rather have Schaub Jr instead of a guy who compares favorably to Andrew Luck, albeit not quite that talented?

Bridgewater has the same quick release, quick feet, great pocket presence, and quick decision making that Luck does. The only thing he doesn't have is Luck's experience calling plays and making adjustments at the line or his elite arm.

I've seen what Schaub and McCarron can do. We don't need a game mananger. Game managers don't win championships unless they have the 2000 Ravens defense behind them. The league has changed and you need a Quarterback to win big.
I'd say Teddy doesn't have Luck's size . Teddy is quicker in his movements , sliding in the pocket and release . Like Luck , Teddy operates an offense used in the pros WCO . Like Luck , Teddy graduates in December of his junior year .
Old 11-25-2013   #47
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85187 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'd say Teddy doesn't have Luck's size . Teddy is quicker in his movements , sliding in the pocket and release . Like Luck , Teddy operates an offense used in the pros WCO . Like Luck , Teddy graduates in December of his junior year .
I agree. My point to Steel though was why take McCarron and perpetuate the cycle. You can't win championships in the NFL with game managers. If you see him as Schaub Jr then why are you contemplating drafting him instead of running as fast as you can in the other direction.

Scouts see McCarron as an average or above average starter in the league. He's a guy who won't turn the ball over and can solidify a team's QB position. But he'll never take you to the promised land. He's basically Alex Smith.

Scouts see Bridgewater as a guy who can take his team to the next level, a lot like Luck did immediately with the Colts. The Colts have a horrible O-Line, a few good WR's and TE's and some not very good RB's. Luck carried them to the playoffs last year and will win the division this year.

If you see that guy, you grab him and build around him. You don't build around nothing and just wait 10 years for that guy to hopefully come along and you hopefully be in a position to grab him.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-02-2013   #48
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it's official now boys we're number one!:
Old 12-02-2013   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. My point to Steel though was why take McCarron and perpetuate the cycle. You can't win championships in the NFL with game managers. If you see him as Schaub Jr then why are you contemplating drafting him instead of running as fast as you can in the other direction.

Scouts see McCarron as an average or above average starter in the league. He's a guy who won't turn the ball over and can solidify a team's QB position. But he'll never take you to the promised land. He's basically Alex Smith.

Scouts see Bridgewater as a guy who can take his team to the next level, a lot like Luck did immediately with the Colts. The Colts have a horrible O-Line, a few good WR's and TE's and some not very good RB's. Luck carried them to the playoffs last year and will win the division this year.

If you see that guy, you grab him and build around him. You don't build around nothing and just wait 10 years for that guy to hopefully come along and you hopefully be in a position to grab him.
I was just saying the same thing yesterday to a friend. Why spend a draft pick on a "game manager"? If that's all you want at the QB position bring in a vet with those qualities at the vet minimum.

I want a gun slinger. A guy that has attributes that will allow him to carry a team at times. I don't care which ever one of Bridgewater, Manzel or Mariota rise to the top in the draft process is fine with me. Hell it may be another guy like Carr or metenburger (sp). Whatever!

If none of the QB's stand out then and only then I would trade down. Even then I would still target QB with first pick. I could see a scenario where we use our second round pick to trade up into the first for our QB but no later than that.
Old 12-02-2013   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I really dont want a QB from this draft. Teddy doesn't have elite arm strength, I want my franchise QB to have elite arm strength and to have played against top competition. Teddy is a media darling who will be a good not great QB.

Now the 2015 QB's have all of the qualities I look for in a franchise QB. I just hope they dont reach for a QB because they need one.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Some scouts may see Bridgewater that way, I dont.

I would be good with Clowney #1 and even though I dont really like the QB's trading up to say 25 and taking Manziel/Mettenberger etc....

Clowney is way above Bridgewater on my board. You cant pass on an elite pass rusher for a QB with a slightly above avg arm. IMHO

Rick doesn't think outside the box, so this will never happen and Bridgewater will be 1-1. But people should be careful for what they wish for.
Old 12-02-2013   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Please support the bolded with some factual link or admit that it is your opinion and not "scouts".
Old 12-02-2013   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

QB is simply the most important position in the NFL & Texans have never had an elite QB merely serviceable. It's time when you have a shot to bring one in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #54
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The correct terminology for your use of scouts is media sportswriters see......
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #55
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL I know WolverineFan can probably defend himself in this thread but I'm gonna step in here. I know y'all don't know this and there's no way you could, but I know WolverineFan outside of this message board and he actually works for a scout.

I see where y'all are coming from but the guy actually knows his stuff.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #56
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
QB is simply the most important position in the NFL & Texans have never had an elite QB merely serviceable. It's time when you have a shot to bring one in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft
Exactly right.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #57
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
LOL I know WolverineFan can probably defend himself in this thread but I'm gonna step in here. I know y'all don't know this and there's no way you could, but I know WolverineFan outside of this message board and he actually works for a scout.

I see where y'all are coming from but the guy actually knows his stuff.
I stand by statement. Media sportswriters and wanna be's love them some Teddy Bridgewater. NFL draft boards will NOT share in their enthusiasm.
Old 12-02-2013   #58
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I stand by statement. Media sportswriters and wanna be's love them some Teddy Bridgewater. NFL draft boards will NOT share in their enthusiasm.
1) The bolded above is absolutely false. Bridgewater is the consensus top QB among the scouting community.

2) NFL teams love potential just as much as sportswriters or "wanna be's". How else do you explain a guy like Gabbert going #10? Or Ponder going #12? What about Tannehill going #8 while Foles and Cousins go 3-4? How about Tebow going #25 or Josh Freeman going #17? What about Jamarcus Russell going #1?

Bridgewater has that upside that teams look for. McCarron does not. Does that mean Bridgewater will be the superior pro? No. But most people are expecting him to be.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-02-2013   #59
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1) The bolded above is absolutely false. Bridgewater is the consensus top QB among the scouting community.
You forgot to include IMHO unless of course you're a FKIA.
Old 12-02-2013   #60
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

2) NFL teams love potential just as much as sportswriters or "wanna be's". How else do you explain a guy like Gabbert going #10? Or Ponder going #12? What about Tannehill going #8 while Foles and Cousins go 3-4? How about Tebow going #25 or Josh Freeman going #17? What about Jamarcus Russell going #1?

Bridgewater has that upside that teams look for. McCarron does not. Does that mean Bridgewater will be the superior pro? No. But most people are expecting him to be.

Some scouts may love Bridgewater, I'm sure you do. He may be the consensus #1 QB. But I think he's no franchise QB and spending the #1 pick in the draft on a guy like him would be a mistake. Just because you need a QB doesn't mean you should reach for one. Reaching for a QB puts a team in the same situation as the Jags and Gabbert.

With that said, I'm sure if Rick gets to make the pick Bridgewater will be the guy. 10 more yrs of the Carr crap will ensue all over again. The Texans will never learn.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read