Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2013   #421
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me Jay Gruden or Zimmer, people that have proven themselves in the NFL.
Can you explain the infatuation with Jay Gruden? What exactly has he proven in the NFL? I agree that Zimmer has the track record and deserves HC consideration somewhere.
Old 11-30-2013   #422
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97234 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
On that subject , I wonder if his one condition somehow led to the other ? I don't think anyone has ever questioned Kubiak's work ethic .
No, I don't either. His stubbornness has always been his biggest issue, He refuses to adapt to what he has and what he is up against.
Old 11-30-2013   #423
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't mind him, it's just a name he's latched onto for some reason.

Oh yeah, Cincinnati Bengals---the gold standard for offense in the NFL since 2011.

I'm glad that college gimmick guy Sumlin isn't "in the running" anymore. I want a coach to take us to the next level. College guy ain't gonna do that. That's a guy you could roll the dice on for a rebuild. We're not rebuilding. We're attempting to do what the Chargers tried when they fired Schottenheimer. Let's hope we have more success with the next guy than they had with Norv Turner.
Old 11-30-2013   #424
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

A&M can keep Sumlin.

His decision a little while ago to punt with only 2 minutes remaining, and down 7, on the road (at Missouri), was insane...
Old 12-01-2013   #425
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
A&M can keep Sumlin.

His decision a little while ago to punt with only 2 minutes remaining, and down 7, on the road (at Missouri), was insane...
After using a timeout

Very Gary the early yrs.
Old 12-01-2013   #426
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Dan Quin, d coordinator for the seahawks
Old 12-01-2013   #427
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
How about Dan Quin, d coordinator for the seahawks
It is his first year as DC. Why would you think him ready to be HC?
Old 12-01-2013   #428
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsArsenal View Post
Hey All, been here lurking for a couple of years and never set up a username until recently. I seen this on BleacherReport, regarding Sumlin and The Texans, so I thought I would post it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ton-texans-nfl

In the article there is a tweet from Jason La Canfora:

Sumlin would definitely be my choice for HC, but I would like to see them hire a strong OC to go with him.

The funny thing is if Sumlin is the choice, does that put Gary in College Station?

I would like to add that Rick Smith needs to leave as badly as Kubiak, that may be the reason that Kubiak isn't gone yet. Maybe Bob McNair wants to make Rick fire Gary since they seem to be associates in this crime.
Extending Schaub, Kubiak, and not replacing Marciano were only a few of Smiths many blunders.

Draft Failures:
Kareem Jackson
Amobi Okoye
Whitney Merciless
Sam Montgomery
Trevardo Williams
Derek Newton
Antwaun Moulden
Earl Mitchell
Sherrick McMannis
Brooks Reed
Brandon Harris
Rock Carmichael
Derek Newton
Brandon Brooks
Ben Jones

Free Agent Signings/Departure Failures
Ed Reed- Signing
Greg Jones-Signing

The Texans have only had a few significant FA signings (Joseph,Manning, Reed) Reed has been the only major failure but the fact that they lack significant free agent signings is an issue in its own. They also fail to make trades of any significance. They fail to move talent before they lose it, a la Ben Tate. They also fail to bring in players that may just need a change of scenery. They lack an eye for talent in general.

Free agent departures are sometimes a necessary evil in order to maintain a safe cap or to bring in free agent talent. Being that we rarely bring in free agent talent, our departures are typically just cap casualties. The front office must be more efficient with their spending in order to retain high quality football players.
Key areas we lack in like S, OL, LB, have all slipped through our grasp.

Glover Quin- Departure
Joel Dreesen- Departure
Eric Winston- Departure
Mike Brisiel- Departure
Vonta Leach- Departure
Demeco Ryans-Departure
Bernard Pollard-Departure

I often wonder when you see some of the waiver wire pickups, why the Texans aren't making these additions. This team has never had a lock down secondary yet these players are constantly being made available due to crowding in a secondary. How can so many teams have problems with too much talent when the Texans can never put two solid corners on the field at the same time. Instead guys like McCain, Harris, Carmichael are given chance after chance to blow a game.

As far as firing Gary now, there really is no point. You're not going to send a message to the players and other coaches. You will be acknowledging publicly that you are mailing it in for the rest of the season thus jeopardizing the "sell out" streak. As far as the other coaches go, they know that at this point there is no salvaging this season nor changing there reputation from whatever it currently has been tarnished to. It is likely that who ever the new coach is will bring in there replacements thus putting the current regime on cruise control.
I stopped reading as soon as Kareem Jackson headed the list of draft failures.
Old 12-01-2013   #429
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think Seattle's defense is excellent and would love to model the Texans after their success. I would like to see us go back to the 4-3 and I would like to see us get a coach who is going to maximize our biggest strength - JJ Watt and the potential of our DL. He is a DL guy by training.

He was an assistant HC under Jim Mora so I think he has enough NFL experience to be successful.

The last thing is that Seattle clearly has a lot of success due to their secondary. I'd love a guy who plays to our strengths but looks to develop our weaknesses. He seems to value both (no proof of this except for the performance -- I don't know how much of this is him vs Carol)
Old 12-01-2013   #430
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88375 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The last thing is that Seattle clearly has a lot of success due to their secondary. I'd love a guy who plays to our strengths but looks to develop our weaknesses. He seems to value both (no proof of this except for the performance -- I don't know how much of this is him vs Carol)
Pete Carrol?!?!

Not that guy, he is a huge failure as an NFL head coach.

That is what people were saying when Carrol was hired by Seattle.
Old 12-02-2013   #431
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mike Tomlin was an OC for only a year (with the Vikings in 2006) before being named the Steelers' head coach in '07.

He hasn't done badly.
Old 12-02-2013   #432
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Mike Tomlin was an OC for only a year (with the Vikings in 2006) before being named the Steelers' head coach in '07.

He hasn't done badly.
You would be hard pressed to find a more unique circumstance for a new HC. He inherited a SB winning team (don't go there on the 2006 season - Big Ben had his motorcycle wreck and a miserable year) and a full staff and continuing administration. Hard to extend that to ordinary circumstances.
Old 12-02-2013   #433
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Even if the Texans suck under a new head coach at least we'll have something new to b*tch about.
Now this is some great reasoning. Something tells me you could find something to b*tch about no matter the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You can use that as a reason not to hire anyone.

Where is this heaven sent head coach that will descend upon our fair city and lead us to the promise land? What coach is not going to have question marks? What coach is out there where everyone would agree that he was the guy to do it?

Patriots could fire belichick tommorrow and people would say, he's nothing without Brady. He hasn't won since he stopped cheating. Folks would find a reason that he wouldn't be successful here.

Lombardi could crawl out his grave and people would say he's too old, been away from the game too long....and undead HC's are creepy...

Probably all legit criticisms. But that's the point....there is no perfect solution. If there was, then this wouldn't be real life where tough decisions are par for the course.

Either way, we know what we have hasn't worked.
Good stuff bro... thanks for the laugh. I too consider undead HC's creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Hilarious... Never seen that either. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yeah, I'm not a big "Chucky" fan BUT and "I like big BUTTS and can not lie" we gotta change this thing up, man.

I like Kubiak and really wanted him to be successful. It's run it's course - time to move on. Time to go along with Rick Smith.
+100 for the funny way you added the Sir Mixalot lyrics in there. I agree it is time to move on and try something different.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 12-02-2013   #434
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Jack Del Rio? I think he would make a good coach. Great defenses without the gimmicks, and he would start with more talent here than he did with JAX. Plus he's been in the game without a commentary hiatus to make you soft.
Old 12-02-2013   #435
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Now this is some great reasoning. Something tells me you could find something to b*tch about no matter the circumstances.
Of course I would. What's your point?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 12-02-2013   #436
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Can you explain the infatuation with Jay Gruden? What exactly has he proven in the NFL? I agree that Zimmer has the track record and deserves HC consideration somewhere.
Do you like Cincy's offense? I do

Gruden appears to have some of the WC offenses princeples. (Not all) He is more modern and less conservative with his game plan/play calling than Kubiak and has helped in the development of Dalton. Who I consider to be a younger version of Schaub.
Old 12-02-2013   #437
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
First off, not all HCs attend the combine. History is definitely on my side on this one. Every year there is reporting on which HCs are at the combine and at which sessions.

Second, I have no idea and once again neither do you. You are making things up.

If Gary has final say on who makes the roster, Then the least he could do would be to show up at the combine. (Atleast somebody who puts winning 1st would.)
Old 12-02-2013   #438
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ray Horton for me.
Old 12-02-2013   #439
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not quite sure about a HC candidate yet, but as far as DC's go, the Jets seem to be imploding once again...
Old 12-02-2013   #440
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
I'm not quite sure about a HC candidate yet, but as far as DC's go, the Jets seem to be imploding once again...
Would love to have Rex as DC.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read