Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-01-2013   #41
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ McCarron

McCarron finished tonight game against Auburn, great game by the way.

17 of 29, 277 yds., 3 TD's and 0 Int's.

For the season he's 190 of 277, 2399 yds., 68.6% Comp., 23 TD's and 5 Int's.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #42
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting tidbit that I realized tonight....McCarron won just 1 conference championship during his 4 years.

Would think he won more with the way Bama has dominated college football recently.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
McCarron finished tonight game against Auburn, great game by the way.

17 of 29, 277 yds., 3 TD's and 0 Int's.

For the season he's 190 of 277, 2399 yds., 68.6% Comp., 23 TD's and 5 Int's.
Yep,

He also played well under pressure from a ferocious Auburn defense.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #44
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked what I saw last night for a late 2nd, maybe 3rd rounder. He had one poor pass that I saw. That deep pass to Cooper was also kind of floaty, but it got the job done. Something I like about him is that he appears calm throughout the entire game.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #45
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

To me , AJ has an average arm at best . Team that with average mobility and you have an average at best skill set . He is a smart QB where he plays a pretty clean game .
Old 12-01-2013   #46
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually like McCarron but at best he is Matt Moore/Colt McCoy in the NFL. Average skills with a good head on his shoulders. There is a place for those guys in the league, but it's not in the starting lineup on a playoff team.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I actually like McCarron but at best he is Matt Moore/Colt McCoy in the NFL. Average skills with a good head on his shoulders. There is a place for those guys in the league, but it's not in the starting lineup on a playoff team.
Is he Greg McElroy ?
Old 12-01-2013   #48
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Is he Greg McElroy ?
No, he's better than that. He's the most talented QB Saban has had at Alabama. But in a league with 32 teams his ceiling is probably being about the 25th best QB. Talented enough to be in the league, not talented enough to take you anywhere.
Old 12-01-2013   #49
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
No, he's better than that. He's the most talented QB Saban has had at Alabama. But in a league with 32 teams his ceiling is probably being about the 25th best QB. Talented enough to be in the league, not talented enough to take you anywhere.
I've seen where they compare him to Alex Smith .
Old 12-01-2013   #50
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I've seen where they compare him to Alex Smith .
Alex Smith without the mobility maybe.
Old 12-01-2013   #51
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see anything in McCarron. I'm not saying he's terrible, but he doesn't do anything great. He's surrounded by talent at Bama. Screams NFL back-up QB to me.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #52
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I don't see anything in McCarron. I'm not saying he's terrible, but he doesn't do anything great. He's surrounded by talent at Bama. Screams NFL back-up QB to me.
He really reminds me of Ken Dorsey. Not quite in their skill set, but that they were both above average QB's surrounded by the best talent in the country. I see him being a better NFL QB than Dorsey, but bah007 nailed it above. He's a guy who can be a solid starter in the league, but he won't be taking you anywhere. I see his ceiling as being like Schaub a few years ago before his decline.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-01-2013   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I see his ceiling as being like Schaub a few years ago before his decline.
Schaub was no where close to 25th QB in the league pre-injury.
Old 12-01-2013   #54
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Schaub was no where close to 25th QB in the league pre-injury.
In 2009-2010 yes he absolutely was. Was easily a top 20 QB.

And this is coming from a guy who despises Schaub.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-01-2013   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In 2009-2010 yes he absolutely was. Was easily a top 20 QB.

And this is coming from a guy who despises Schaub.
You took my point backwards. It was no where close as in he was much better than 25th and much better than 20th too. Up to his injury he was 8-12.
Old 12-01-2013   #56
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You took my point backwards. It was no where close as in he was much better than 25th and much better than 20th too. Up to his injury he was 8-12.
Ahh well yes that's where I see McCarron's ceiling IF you surround him with a ton of talent like Schaub had. Schaub was an above average starter that played within the offense and was surrounded by pro-bowlers. That's exactly what McCarron is doing at Alabama.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-01-2013   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Ahh well yes that's where I see McCarron's ceiling IF you surround him with a ton of talent like Schaub had. Schaub was an above average starter that played within the offense and was surrounded by pro-bowlers. That's exactly what McCarron is doing at Alabama.
Still revisionist history.

2008 - AJ & OD
2009 - AJ
2010 - AJ, Foster & Leach
2011 - Foster & Myers

That ain't surrounded by pro-bowlers.
Old 12-01-2013   #58
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Still revisionist history.

2008 - AJ & OD
2009 - AJ
2010 - AJ, Foster & Leach
2011 - Foster & Myers

That ain't surrounded by pro-bowlers.
So Johnson was not a pro-bowl caliber player in 2011? Myers was not a pro-bowl caliber player until 2011?

Schaub was surrounded by talent across the board during that time. Johnson, Foster, Daniels, Myers, Brown, Winston, Brisiel, Smith, etc. Just because every guy didn't make the pro-bowl every single year doesn't dispute that fact.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 12-01-2013   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
So Johnson was not a pro-bowl caliber player in 2011? Myers was not a pro-bowl caliber player until 2011?

Schaub was surrounded by talent across the board during that time. Johnson, Foster, Daniels, Myers, Brown, Winston, Brisiel, Smith, etc. Just because every guy didn't make the pro-bowl every single year doesn't dispute that fact.
Your spin is ridiculous. The lengths to which you will go are demonstrated by your AJ question. AJ only played 4 uninjured games in 2011 so of course he was not a pro-bowl caliber player in the other 12 games.

Players like Winston, Myers, Brisiel and Smith exist on every team. That is not surrounding a QB with talent to some inordinate degree. Plus you are acting like all those people were playing at once which isn't the case nor were they playing at their peak for the whole time they were playing. It is almost laughable the transformation in story. Winston, Myers and Smith were all heavily criticized and now they are being made into the '90s Cowboys line. Foster wasn't there for two of those years. Brown was described as a reach/bust in his early years. Throughout this time the Texans had "no #2 WR." Schaub led the league in passing with zero running game. No he was not surrounded by talent his entire time pre-injury.
Old 12-01-2013   #60
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your spin is ridiculous. The lengths to which you will go are demonstrated by your AJ question. AJ only played 4 uninjured games in 2011 so of course he was not a pro-bowl caliber player in the other 12 games.

Players like Winston, Myers, Brisiel and Smith exist on every team. That is not surrounding a QB with talent to some inordinate degree. Plus you are acting like all those people were playing at once which isn't the case nor were they playing at their peak for the whole time they were playing. It is almost laughable the transformation in story. Winston, Myers and Smith were all heavily criticized and now they are being made into the '90s Cowboys line. Foster wasn't there for two of those years. Brown was described as a reach/bust in his early years. Throughout this time the Texans had "no #2 WR." Schaub led the league in passing with zero running game. No he was not surrounded by talent his entire time pre-injury.
Texans were near the top of the league in sacks allowed per attempt in 2008 and 2009, had the #7 rushing offense in 2010, and the #2 in 2011. The line was there whether they were actual pro-bowlers or not. That was my point.

And yes, Johnson was injured in 2011. But you listed the team's pro-bowlers as if to point out a lack of talent on the squad. That was not the case. Johnson in his prime from 2008-2010, Foster's career year in 2010 and great years in 11-12, one of the top O-Lines in the league from 2009-2011, the OD/Dreessen combo from 2009-2011, etc. The only thing that offense did not have was a legitimate #2 WR.

Sure, he didn't have the best talent in the league at each position, but there was no lack of talent. The only lack of talent was on the defense, which is why Wade was hired and why we focused mainly on defense in those drafts.

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read