Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-30-2013   #1
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sumlin agrees to 6 year deal with TAMU

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-6-year-deal

So, I heard USC was better than TAMU?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sumlin agrees to 6 year deal with TAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

It may be but the PAC12 is not better than the SEC. Did A&M get Franchione'ed AGAIN? but this time A&M will have Franchione'ed A&M.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
It may be but the PAC12 is not better than the SEC. Did A&M get Franchione'ed AGAIN? but this time A&M will have Franchione'ed A&M.
Time will tell

I hope this removes Sumlin from the Texans HC talk.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #4
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw on twitter that A&M was afraid of losing him to the Texans, not USC.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Saw on twitter that A&M was afraid of losing him to the Texans, not USC.
Consider the sources. If true, the only good news derived from this is McNair would be considering college coaches and that would mean David Shaw and Jimbo Fisher could be in play.
Old 11-30-2013   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

That's great for TAMU.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #7
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

USC has been pretty good under Orgeron. Wouldn't surprise me if they stick with him, especially if they beat UCLA.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2013   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Man that is great news! signed Gary Kubiak
Old 11-30-2013   #9
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

All about the Ray Horton train, toot toot.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #10
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Consider the sources. If true, the only good news derived from this is McNair would be considering college coaches and that would mean David Shaw and Jimbo Fisher could be in play.
Old 11-30-2013   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Better to have him here than in Southern Cal.

Nice job, alums.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll be out of A&M in two years. Book it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
He'll be out of A&M in two years. Book it.
Maybe... But it certainly won't be USC. That said, it's pretty dumb to say "book it" when you don't know the man, his family and his heart are at. Maybe in a year and a half A&M ups the ante even more. You never know.

Than again, maybe you're right but again it's dumb to assume "book it"!
Old 11-30-2013   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Maybe... But it certainly won't be USC. That said, it's pretty dumb to say "book it" when you don't know the man, his family and his heart are at. Maybe in a year and a half A&M ups the ante even more. You never know.

Than again, maybe you're right but again it's dumb to assume "book it"!
That's my prediction. I think he is a little foolish not to "cash in" now with the up coming off season while he is one of if not the hottest name on the market for college football coaches. Hell, some are even considering him for the NFL when he has literally no experience at all, and very little as a HC of a big time program. Manziel leaves this off season and he possibly have a down year or two. Who knows. If he has a less than spectacular season or two, his popularity as a hot coaching candidate will die rather quickly just like it does with a lot of HC's. I'm actually pretty surprised that he's not cashing in while the gettin is good.

I don't have the know the man either. I can make assumptions based on history and what I've seen tons of coaches do in similar situations. Texas A&M isn't some program that HC's are dying to be at, nor is it a program that I feel like Sumlin will embrace to the point that he'll keep passing up on other gigs with higher profile jobs. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't see Sumlin being there pass the next two seasons.
Old 11-30-2013   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109003 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's my prediction. I think he is a little foolish not to "cash in" now with the up coming off season while he is one of if not the hottest name on the market for college football coaches. Hell, some are even considering him for the NFL when he has literally no experience at all, and very little as a HC of a big time program. Manziel leaves this off season and he possibly have a down year or two. Who knows. If he has a less than spectacular season or two, his popularity as a hot coaching candidate will die rather quickly just like it does with a lot of HC's. I'm actually pretty surprised that he's not cashing in while the gettin is good.

I don't have the know the man either. I can make assumptions based on history and what I've seen tons of coaches do in similar situations. Texas A&M isn't some program that HC's are dying to be at, nor is it a program that I feel like Sumlin will embrace to the point that he'll keep passing up on other gigs with higher profile jobs. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't see Sumlin being there pass the next two seasons.
Looks to me like Sumlin did cash in. That's what the extension is. He's just cashing in at A&M instead of USC.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Looks to me like Sumlin did cash in. That's what the extension is. He's just cashing in at A&M instead of USC.
Talk to me in two years. He won't be there. I heard Longhorn fans say the same thing when I told them Muschamp would leave soon if he didn't become the HC at Texas. He wasn't going to keep turning down big opportunities and he didn't. Sumlin won't either if he continues to have success. He'll just continue to build his price tag and will look for greener pastures.
Old 11-30-2013   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109003 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Talk to me in two years. He won't be there. I heard Longhorn fans say the same thing when I told them Muschamp would leave soon if he didn't become the HC at Texas. He wasn't going to keep turning down big opportunities and he didn't. Sumlin won't either if he continues to have success. He'll just continue to build his price tag and will look for greener pastures.
Don't disagree with you. Just disagree with the assertion that he didn't use his newfound popularity to cash in.

He may not have upgraded to a better job, but he did manage to squeeze some more cash out of A&M.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...He'll just continue to build his price tag and will look for greener pastures.
Which pasture is greener than the SEC's?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #19
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not sure he will be a hot commodity in two years. His goose that laid his golden egg will have been long gone and his defense stinks.
Old 12-01-2013   #20
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
I'm not sure he will be a hot commodity in two years. His goose that laid his golden egg will have been long gone and his defense stinks.
That's my issue, I believe he has a plug and play offense, and they'll find a quarterback to run the system successfully. But if he continues with the type of defense he's brought so far, and it goes back to his time at UofH, they'll be also rans.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read