Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2013   #21
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Play GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I cut Schaub and Foster. After back surgery I don't expect Foster to be worth his $8 mil. And the current OL also looks like it went thru back surgery. A new QB will need Andre and Daniels. Manning when healthy is the best S on the team. Manning and Daniels are 2015 FA so their $ disappear then anyways. Take your full medicine in 2014 and w/o any Schaub, Foster, Daniels, Manning money on the 2015 books, the Texans start 2015 year almost $50 mil under the cap.

Note: I expect the NFL to go to 17 or 18 game schedule in 2015 and when they do I also expect the salary cap to increase substanially, $15 - $20 million. Why? This is the carrot that the owners will use to get the players to vote FOR an increase in regular season games.
I stopped reading after you said cut foster, who really knows what he's gonna come back like but before this year he was night and day better than anyone who ran the ball for the texans.. he pretty much took the year off i just hope he's motivated and ready to come back next year... I'm convinced we can afford to bring tate back I'm just not sure we want to, i understand he's playing hurt but damn he made foster look great and he's doing the same thing for johnson
Old 11-28-2013   #22
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Thanks for showing us this new toy. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) the resident draftniks put it to use during the offseason to see who to keep and who to let go.

oh and repped by the way
Thanks, and I usually do an in depth off-season, I will be putting it to use
Old 11-28-2013   #23
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Thanks, and I usually do an in depth off-season, I will be putting it to use
very nice and simple tool.

does anyone know of a website that graphs trade value of players.

e.g. foster a couple of years back would be worth a 1st round pick but now with his large contract and injury problems is trending downwards.

are the any sites that do this
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #24
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent page, which got a bookmark in my browser. I played with it, cutting and trading players I'd be willing to part with, and got the cap space up to 23M, still not enough for much flexibility.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
http://overthecap.com/calculator/

Amazing tool and shows all you "gms" how we are with the cap. It puts to rest that were in cap hell. Play around, cut some guys and see how YOU would improve our cap.
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

By cutting Schaub, OD, and Manning, that puts the Texans $22 million under the cap... hardly cap hell.
Old 11-29-2013   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

By cutting Schaub, OD, and Manning, that puts the Texans $22 million under the cap... hardly cap hell.
Amazing80 said it puts to rest, or debunks, the notion that the Texans are in cap hell in 2014.
Old 11-29-2013   #27
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Does this calculator take into account the dead money the Texans would absorb cutting certain players?
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Does this calculator take into account the dead money the Texans would absorb cutting certain players?
I believe it does.
Old 11-29-2013   #29
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Amazing80 said it puts to rest, or debunks, the notion that the Texans are in cap hell in 2014.
lol thank you
Old 11-29-2013   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I cut Schaub and Foster. After back surgery I don't expect Foster to be worth his $8 mil. And the current OL also looks like it went thru back surgery. A new QB will need Andre and Daniels. Manning when healthy is the best S on the team. Manning and Daniels are 2015 FA so their $ disappear then anyways. Take your full medicine in 2014 and w/o any Schaub, Foster, Daniels, Manning money on the 2015 books, the Texans start 2015 year almost $50 mil under the cap.
I agree about Foster. I like the guy, but if we are honest, most of the time that a heavily used RB goes in for major surgery (especially the back), it's time to move on.

Of course he could have a great recovery in today's day and age, but I'm just not sold on taking that chance with a likely new coaching staff and offensive scheme.

Sometimes it takes the hard decisions to move on, and Foster is one of those casualties.
Old 11-29-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree about Foster. I like the guy, but if we are honest, most of the time that a heavily used RB goes in for major surgery (especially the back), it's time to move on.

Of course he could have a great recovery in today's day and age, but I'm just not sold on taking that chance with a likely new coaching staff and offensive scheme.

Sometimes it takes the hard decisions to move on, and Foster is one of those casualties.
Correction. Foster may be one of those casualties. Why not wait and see how he recovers, like we are doing with Cushing and have done with others? Johnson has average 4.4 for season and against jags 6 yds (13/74).
Old 12-04-2013   #32
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 14846 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutting Foster gives you a small amount of cap savings. Might as well utilize him for one more year and then release after the 2014 season to get the savings.

The Texans may not have a huge amount of cap space for the 2014 season, but if they do things correctly they could position themselves for a nice open salary cap for the 2015 season. That includes releasing A. Johnson after the 2014 season. Yes I said it.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #33
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Cutting Foster gives you a small amount of cap savings. Might as well utilize him for one more year and then release after the 2014 season to get the savings.

The Texans may not have a huge amount of cap space for the 2014 season, but if they do things correctly they could position themselves for a nice open salary cap for the 2015 season. That includes releasing A. Johnson after the 2014 season. Yes I said it.
Why would you do that? He's still highly productive at his age and could easily net the Texans a late second-round pick in a trade. From a team like the Patriots for example. It seems silly to only keep Andre Johnson for one more season and then release him when he still has adequate trade value.
Old 12-04-2013   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That includes releasing A. Johnson after the 2014 season. Yes I said it.
Unfortunate for you. Jerry Rice began the most productive four season stretch of his career at 31 years old (AJ's age now) leading the league in receiving in three of the four years and leading the league in receptions in the 4th. We aren't talking RB here. 30 is not a death knell for a WR. His current contract runs through to 34. I think barring injury it is far more likely you see the last year of his deal redone in an extension through him being 37 or so.

How many non-problem child 1500 yd WRs do you see getting released or traded? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the answer is none.
Old 12-04-2013   #35
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I just extended JJ Watt for 5 years for 5 million dollars! I should be GM!
Old 12-04-2013   #36
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Unfortunate for you. Jerry Rice began the most productive four season stretch of his career at 31 years old (AJ's age now) leading the league in receiving in three of the four years and leading the league in receptions in the 4th. We aren't talking RB here. 30 is not a death knell for a WR. His current contract runs through to 34. I think barring injury it is far more likely you see the last year of his deal redone in an extension through him being 37 or so.

How many non-problem child 1500 yd WRs do you see getting released or traded? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the answer is none.
Yeah, I do not see McNair letting AJ go anywhere unless AJ asks for it (even then, who knows).

McNair used the term "legacy player" when talking about AJ, and it was in context of AJ playing for the Texans his entire career. I do not see him being released or traded unless it is something that McNair and AJ have worked out.

The only other player that McNair has used the term "legacy player" is JJ Watt, which is another reason I do not see him going anywhere (beyond the contract and franchise options the next four years).
Old 12-04-2013   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I just extended JJ Watt for 5 years for 5 million dollars! I should be GM!
Do you have any room in the fantasy world you live in? lol
Old 12-04-2013   #38
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 14846 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would love to see AJ stay and be productive through the end of his contract and retire a Texan. But I remember that this is a business; there is a lot of money to be saved towards the cap by releasing him. If produces another great season in 2014 then keeping him is probably best. But if his production falls off, parting ways could be an option after the 2014 season. His base salary goes up dramatically in 2015.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love to see AJ stay and be productive through the end of his contract and retire a Texan. But I remember that this is a business; there is a lot of money to be saved towards the cap by releasing him. If produces another great season in 2014 then keeping him is probably best. But if his production falls off, parting ways could be an option after the 2014 season. His base salary goes up dramatically in 2015.
I understand the reasoning but again where do you see non problem children highly productive WRs being released? The if his production falls off is a giant IF with the odds against it. Plus cutting him after 2014 (or trading him) creates $9 mil in dead money.
Old 12-04-2013   #40
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

AJ has restructured his contract so many times I doubt there is a monetary advantage to releasing or trading AJ. I look at it this way, AJ would be a great advantage to a new QB in much the same way Reggie Wayne was to Andrew Luck.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read