Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2013   #1
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Play GM

http://overthecap.com/calculator/

Amazing tool and shows all you "gms" how we are with the cap. It puts to rest that were in cap hell. Play around, cut some guys and see how YOU would improve our cap.
Old 11-27-2013   #2
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post

Amazing tool and shows all you "gms" how we are with the cap. It puts to rest that were in cap hell. Play around, cut some guys and see how YOU would improve our cap.
Love that site. The only input I have is that we should absorb the full dead money hit in 2014 for all the guys that are cut (like Schaub). No "June 1st" cuts. Eat it now and use the extra room to re-sign Watt in 2015.
Old 11-27-2013   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91029 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Play GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Love that site. The only input I have is that we should absorb the full dead money hit in 2014 for all the guys that are cut (like Schaub). No "June 1st" cuts. Eat it now and use the extra room to re-sign Watt in 2015.
Yea no kidding.

Look at this team...

And now imagine it without Watt...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69341 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know much about the cap, but the first things I looked for were cutting Brice McCain, Derek Newton, and Randy Bullock.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thanks I wanted to experiment with that part of site but just didn't have time. I cut Schaub, OD, Manning, McCain, Yates and Tarpinian & Mohamed. I want to think more about which FAs we bring back.
Old 11-27-2013   #6
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks I wanted to experiment with that part of site but just didn't have time. I cut Schaub, OD, Manning, McCain, Yates and Tarpinian & Mohamed. I want to think more about which FAs we bring back.
I cut these guys plus Brooke Reed, Martin, Newton, Fat Randy, and Brandon Harris. We have a lot of crappy players, OD not included as crappy, just over the hill like Manning. The rest are complete garbage.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I cut these guys plus Brooke Reed, Martin, Newton, Fat Randy, and Brandon Harris. We have a lot of crappy players, OD not included as crappy, just over the hill like Manning. The rest are complete garbage.
Reed is a containment guy that we expect too many sacks from. Need to replace but not this season. Same with Martin as I want to cut him and then he has a decent game. I won't cut Newton but want to see him compete against Brennan Williams and a draft pick. Ryan Harris cannot beat him out so he should go. Bullock was aweful but may have recovered recently. Let's see how he finishes. Brandon Harris should peak in his third season. We gave KJ three so why not Harris? Besides lett ing these go mean you have to replace them and we already need a lot.
Old 11-27-2013   #8
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I don't know much about the cap, but the first things I looked for were cutting Brice McCain, Derek Newton, and Randy Bullock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post

The cap availability right now is a little over 9 Million... Cutting the guys listed gets it over 13 Million. You can get another 13 Million available by cutting Daniels, Manning & Schaub. With those cuts you're looking at 26 Million of free cap space.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #9
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't see much of a cap Hell. i cut harris, OD, and schaub and extended ninja, mays and greg jones
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #10
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Watt needs to be resigned now, I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of free agency with JJ out there.. no way no how

It needs to get done the same way Cushings was done but even sooner
Old 11-27-2013   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 361879 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
Watt needs to be resigned now, I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of free agency with JJ out there.. no way no how

It needs to get done the same way Cushings was done but even sooner
Watt has two more seasons before the Texans even have to start considering the franchise tag.
Old 11-27-2013   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Watt has two more seasons before the Texans even have to start considering the franchise tag.
and franchising Watt for 2 years may be considerably cheaper than actually re-signing him
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #13
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was so worried about it I completely forgot about the franchise tag
Old 11-27-2013   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 361879 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
I was so worried about it I completely forgot about the franchise tag
The Texans' options for JJ other than signing a new contract are:

2014 - last year of original rookie deal - $3.575 mil cap hit
2015 - optional 5th year - approx. $7 mil (avg. of 3-25th paid DEs)
2015 - franchise tag - approx. $12 mil
2016 - franchise tag - approx. $14.4 mil

The Texans hold the cards for quite a while.
Old 11-27-2013   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 11-28-2013   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans' options for JJ other than signing a new contract are:

2014 - last year of original rookie deal - $3.575 mil cap hit
2015 - optional 5th year - approx. $7 mil (avg. of 3-25th paid DEs)
2015 - franchise tag - approx. $12 mil
2016 - franchise tag - approx. $14.4 mil

The Texans hold the cards for quite a while.
Thanks for the breakdown. I can use this to calm some people down in my life that are stressing about it. I've told them that the Texans have the leverage, but cool to see the specifics.

Reading this thread, it sounds like we are not in a bad cap situation, and makes me start to believe that Rick Smith sticks around if/when they let Gary & Co. go. Much different than 2005 when Casserly left the franchise in cap trouble, iirc.
Old 11-28-2013   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thanks for the breakdown. I can use this to calm some people down in my life that are stressing about it. I've told them that the Texans have the leverage, but cool to see the specifics.

Reading this thread, it sounds like we are not in a bad cap situation, and makes me start to believe that Rick Smith sticks around if/when they let Gary & Co. go. Much different than 2005 when Casserly left the franchise in cap trouble, iirc.
Contrary to popular belief the Texans 2014 salary cap situation is very similar to salary cap situation of 2011, 2012, 2013. Like recent years past the Texans will lose a handful of starters to FA and the Texans will not have enough money to adequately to replace the value of those players lost. Once again they will try to plug those holes through the draft or with more vet minimums to fill out the roster. In essence they will have taken another step or two backwards to getting better instead of any steps forward because that is all they can afford.
Old 11-28-2013   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub, Daniels, and Manning were my big cuts. made some smaller ones and only extended Graham and wound up with $31 million in cap room. Lots of holes on the roster though. Still, there's enough for a new coach to be competitive in the AFC South in 2014.
Old 11-28-2013   #19
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Schaub, Daniels, and Manning were my big cuts. made some smaller ones and only extended Graham and wound up with $31 million in cap room. Lots of holes on the roster though. Still, there's enough for a new coach to be competitive in the AFC South in 2014.
I cut Schaub and Foster. After back surgery I don't expect Foster to be worth his $8 mil. And the current OL also looks like it went thru back surgery. A new QB will need Andre and Daniels. Manning when healthy is the best S on the team. Manning and Daniels are 2015 FA so their $ disappear then anyways. Take your full medicine in 2014 and w/o any Schaub, Foster, Daniels, Manning money on the 2015 books, the Texans start 2015 year almost $50 mil under the cap.

Note: I expect the NFL to go to 17 or 18 game schedule in 2015 and when they do I also expect the salary cap to increase substanially, $15 - $20 million. Why? This is the carrot that the owners will use to get the players to vote FOR an increase in regular season games.

Last edited by Texian; 11-28-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2013   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 245168 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thanks for showing us this new toy. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) the resident draftniks put it to use during the offseason to see who to keep and who to let go.

oh and repped by the way
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read