Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-26-2013   #81
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Matt Miller of The Bleacher Reoprt said Teddy was the 2nd best QB he's ever scouted . Better than RG3 , Stafford . Bradford and so on ... FWIW .
Matt Miller is a novice at the evaluation game as far as I am concerned. His stuff is so bad I had to UNFOLLOW him on twitter. He was wasting to much of my time. For the most part he made no sense and is void of any logic or sense of reason.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
In mass you arent going to pull a "do everything you can or get out of town bob" no matter how many times you type BoB on this site. Given the option more people would rather have a team in town vs not having one at all.
Bud thought the same things you do.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #83
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Quoted for the wow. That is the definition of bandwagon.
Yep I'm a 40 yr bandwagon fan.

Or maybe I think BoB's comittment to putting a great team on the field rivals Bud's. I've seen this story for too many yrs. It's up to BoB to prove me wrong.

BTW, is BoB still learning on the job after 12 yrs?
Old 11-26-2013   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
For the record, letting Bud leave town had nothing to do with the w/l record of the team, or the team at all
I know about the Astrodome and the tax $$$$ that we are still paying off. But if the Oilers had won a SB (Thanks Warren) then the city would've built Bud a new stadium. But that didn't happen and Bud like any good businessman cut the best deal he could get with Nashville. (Not saying I agree with Bud's tactics)

Bud did have one thing right, if he would've let the Astros/Rockets go 1st in requestin tax $$$$ for a new stadium, he probably would've gotten the new stadium he desired.
Old 11-26-2013   #85
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bud thought the same things you do.
Your memory is off
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #86
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Your memory is off
You're not the 1st person to make that remark. LOL
Old 11-26-2013   #87
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
What Vinny said.

Yep. And I'll tell you what I think - we're going to need another QB after the 2014 draft anyway, because whoever they pick, they're not going to be The One. Franchise QBs aren't available every draft, so don't force it. Of course, everyone here thinks we should force it, so whatever. Personally, I can see at least a couple franchise QB prospects coming out next year, but do not see one at all this year. Looking back:

2013: no true franchise prospect

2012: one real no brainer, and then the overblown hype bout RGIII, who I like but do not buy into long term because of his style. In retrospect, Russell Wilson might be the 2nd best QB from that class long term, but no one tabbed him as a true franchise QB prospect.

2011: Cam Newton was the only no brainer, AFAIC

2010: Sam Bradford was considered to be that pro-ready, franchise QB prospect - perhaps not to the talent level of a guy like Luck, but a guy that could be built around. No one else.

2009: Stafford.

2008: Matt Ryan.

Could go on, but you get the point. There's usually (not always) one consensus franchise caliber QB prospect. They're usually taken in the top few picks. Whether or not they pan out is a different subject. But the overriding point is unless you get a top pick in a year that happens to have one of those, you're either forcing the issue and hoping it pans out, or you're developing one from a later round (Wilson, GSmith, Foles, Cousins, Dalton, etc.). That's not any more ht or miss than the top round picks when you look at bust rates, TBH.

I just don't want to see the team force a pick on a QB just because they have a top pick and they need a QB. If the QB isn't there at the top of the first round (there isn't, IMO), then take BPA and grab a QB in the 2nd-4th round. I feel like McCarron, Murray (before injury), Mettenberger, Carr, and maybe another one or two QBs could turn out to be just as good as Bridgewater from this draft. I don't see any of them turning out to be the next Luck, Manning, or even Matt Ryan, but hey, you never know. I just don't see the reward for the risk of a top pick.

JMO.
Great minds think alike.

The optimal thing to have happen would be to trade for Clevelands two 1st's.

Nix and Erving could solve alot of what's wrong with this team. One of Mettenberger/McCarron/Manziel should be there at 2-1 and odds are they will be as good in the NFL as Bridgewater turns out to be.

This is an oppurtunity to build a stable franchise for yrs to come.
Old 11-26-2013   #88
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Definitely. I can see where that viewpoint comes from, too. The BPA (i.e. Clowney, Barr, Matthews) camp has a lot of merit to it. Unfortunately we have been set back so far as a franchise we are in this situation. It's pitiful.

Say you were given the first overall pick. Do you make your choice there or do you trade down?
For me, it depends on the grade for Matthews (or whatever BPA). If it's comparable to past year;s #1 guys, maybe I just take the guy. Personally, I want Clowney less than I want Bridgewater. I like trade downs when they're done right. I have little faith that the current FO will do it right.
Old 11-29-2013   #89
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
QB prospect on the rise for 2014 NFL draft: Derek Carr. Respected scout I talk to thinks he's top 10 when it's all said and done.
— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) November 18, 2013
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #90
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 74627 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Fresno State against San Jose St coming on now on CBS. Sports network. Good chance to see Carr play. And also the San Jose QB Fales.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #91
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
Fresno State against San Jose St coming on now on CBS. Sports network. Good chance to see Carr play. And also the San Jose QB Fales.

My CBS station has Arkanasas- LSU game

oops, just saw the cbssn

found it

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013   #92
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 74627 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
My CBS station has Arkanasas- LSU game
CBS Sports Network, it's like Fox Sports. Channel 221 on Directv.
Old 11-29-2013   #93
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
CBS Sports Network, it's like Fox Sports. Channel 221 on Directv.
512 on Suddenlink Conroe
Old 11-29-2013   #94
Pollardized
Division Champ

Wow SJ with a 3 man offensive line on that play!
Old 11-29-2013   #95
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Carr dropped that pass in nicely for a TD
Old 11-29-2013   #96
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Has better touch than his older brother and is not as stiff an athlete. Still has some of that sidearm delivery. Not as big an arm as David. Looks like a solid 2nd round pick to me.
Old 11-29-2013   #97
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to judge them when there are no defenses on the field.
Old 11-29-2013   #98
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Has better touch than his older brother and is not as stiff an athlete. Still has some of that sidearm delivery. Not as big an arm as David. Looks like a solid 2nd round pick to me.
I think he goes in the top 25. Maybe he doesn't deserve to but I think he will.

I've got him as my #2 QB right now but that speaks more to how overrated I think the rest of the class is.

I think Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, and Manziel all go first round.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #99
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Defenses are as bad is it gets.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #100
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hard to judge them when there are no defenses on the field.
Yup. People keep saying that he and Bridgewater play against the same level of competition, it's just not true. Louisville may not play the big boys but their opponents are undoubtedly more stingy than the teams that Fresno State play against.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read