Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2013   #141
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Crying about Kubiak is actually starting to get old now.
Yup, and so is the season. I'm ready for the draft. Only 5 1/2 months to go.
Old 11-26-2013   #142
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
If I'm an NFL player I don't go to a (hopefully) 2-14 team to win a championship that just (hopefully) overhauled all of the front office and coaching staff.

I'd be more than willing to bet we will be bottom 10 in Vegas for odds to win the Super Bowl next year, despite the talent on the field and (hopefully) a new #1 pick. If that holds true there are at least 22 other spots that have a better odds-on possibility of getting you to the dance.

Don't know why you think I said "hot market". I implied he will have A market, as opposed to NO market. With that said... of course he will have a hot market. He's one of the best pass rushing LBs in the game. I expect him, barring a huge injury before end of season, to be one of the highest paid OLBs in the game. I forsee something right around, maybe a little under Clay Mathews $. 5 year/$60ish. Slow start to season coming off injury, but he's been looking very strong lately.

I'll never remember to revisit this thread when his money is handed down, but if you remember, feel free to look back on this and reply saying that I am correct.
Dude don't be another chest thumper your not some football nostradamus, just anothe Joe who thinks he could play GM. If you really think Orakpo is in the sane class as Matthews I would recommend a rehab clinic. All the other stuff you spew is rhetoric, completely dismissing the probability of a turnaround is pessimistic to a fault.
Old 11-26-2013   #143
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Dude don't be another chest thumper your not some Lu.d of football nostradamus, just anothe Joe who thinks he could play GM. If you really think Orakpo is in the sane class as Matthews I would recommend a rehab clinic. All the other stuff you spew is rhetoric, completely dismissing the probability of a turnaround is pessimistic to a fault.
I thought that's what message boards were for? And complaining. I do that too. I never said a turn around wasn't probable, I am simply stating probable Vegas odds. If you want to pick a fight with someone, I'll step back and let you have the ring to yourself bro.

I just went to the trouble of putting an email calendar reminder to revisit this thread next June though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #144
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I can't ever think of the big tennessee kids name. Are those his stats? I wasn't looking at stats, I just look at his stoutness inside and how he moves inside. I watched him forklift guys in the backfield with straight power.
You are thinking McCullers who along with Danny Shelton is dropping in rankings but those stats belong to Ark State Ryan Carrethers.
Old 11-26-2013   #145
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: What is the rebuilding path?
C:\Texans\Coaches\Dumbass Coaches\Kubiak\deleteall.cmd

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #146
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and MSR lol
Old 11-26-2013   #147
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Awesome!
Old 11-26-2013   #148
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You are thinking McCullers who along with Danny Shelton is dropping in rankings but those stats belong to Ark State Ryan Carrethers.
Did he run around with Newton?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #149
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Need figures ?

I need a recount but as a reference the Broncos have 29 players who make a million or more . The Texans have 16 because they paid a bunch of money to the top of the list I guess . The 49ers have 31 players who make a million or more . This explains the special teams situation .

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2013
Old 11-26-2013   #150
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
He's too good and a lot of his talent would be wasted. You don't want an idiot like Jared Allen or Mario Williams that can only loop around the outside and take down the QB when they hold the ball too long.

Watt puts up the same and better stats WHILE still plugging holes in the middle and stopping the run.

When Mario was here, all Peyton ever did was audible the run to Mario's side because there was always a huge hole over there while he came in looping out wide trying to sack Peyton.
If you don't like mario cuz he was hurt a lot,that's cool,but stop lying. Manning would just step up in the pockets,just like qbs do now because the texans have never had a pocket pusher. Just like now, qb step inside and throw darts cuz the texans have always been small at dt. Even last yr with buffalo,mario had the 3rd highest ratio of hits,pressures and sacks. Without looking , I'm sure he's at the top again. Was he worth 50m guaranteed? Probably not,but don't act like when healthy he's not a probowl caliber de who plays the run and rushes the passer. That's just lying to yourself.
Old 11-26-2013   #151
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok. Teams are scared of 350lb guys. John jenkins last yr went in the 3rd and I thought he was 1st rd talent. Jenkins is the reason saints made that transition seemless.Mccullers is a big,powerful man. He holds the point and when he bull rush,it takes 2 players to stop him.He collapses the pocket and eats up space inside the pocket. He's big,not fat. You put him at nt and watt along with the lbs are a lot better.
Old 11-26-2013   #152
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't believe in McCarron. Guys that have the most ideal conditions in college scare me. 6 seconds in the pocket, play makers, rarely needs to throw over 30 times a game, amazing run game year in and year out. Defense that gets you the ball deep in opponents territory.

I like guys that have to work for it, that have garbage teams around them and still rise up when it matters like Bridgewater in the Bowl game against #3 Florida last year.

QB 1st, otherwise you will be building the 'foundation' forever. What about our foundation is missing anyways?

Top 5 WR - check
Top 5 RB - check
Top 5 DL - check
Top 5 LB - check (when healthy)
top 8 CB - check
2 top 15 OLine - check

Foundation is built bro. Time to strike is now. Andre's days are numbered and after MegaWatt signs his MegaDeal a whole lot of those other positions start becoming unchecked.
If you believe the Texans foundation is built correctly, then we will have to agree to disagree. If you dont think it will take Bridgewater or any other rookie QB 2-3 yrs to figure things out you're fooling yourself. Sorry AJ aint gonna be getting a ring playing with the Texans. Sad but true.

If you hold it against McCarron for playing behind a great OL with plenty of weapons, did you do the same for Luck when he came out?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #153
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Did he run around with Newton?
Did who run around with Newton? I was anti-Derek Newton at first even referred to him as "fig" but I saw him develop and then started comparing him to D. Brown's first year of actual play. IIRC Newton in his first season only had 17 plays. 2014 is his third full season and if healthy could be very good as was Brown's as a first round compared to a 7th. I think like others, Newton was forced to come back too soon and we see the results. An injured Duane had a piss poor year also. I was hoping Brennan Williams would push Newton but we saw how that developed. I think we have to draft another OT regardless of having Williams and Q healthy by TC.
Old 11-26-2013   #154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok. Teams are scared of 350lb guys. John jenkins last yr went in the 3rd and I thought he was 1st rd talent. Jenkins is the reason saints made that transition seemless.Mccullers is a big,powerful man. He holds the point and when he bull rush,it takes 2 players to stop him.He collapses the pocket and eats up space inside the pocket. He's big,not fat. You put him at nt and watt along with the lbs are a lot better.
Agreed

One of these NT's (Carrethers/Shelton/McCullers should be available in the 3rd/4th rd range. I would think about 2 of them even if I had to trade up and draft both in the 4th rd.
Old 11-26-2013   #155
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
McCullers is big and fat. He trimmed (?) down from 390 to 350 and from what I hear has fluctuated between the two. Struggles with leverage. I am not saying your evalauation as a run stopper is wrong I just like another guy better who occasionally gets sacks.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/...niel-mccullers
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/...tice-with-new/
Old 11-26-2013   #156
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

One of these NT's (Carrethers/Shelton/McCullers should be available in the 3rd/4th rd range. I would think about 2 of them even if I had to trade up and draft both in the 4th rd.
What about drafting one NT (too many other holes) and resigning Mitchell to replace Ninja and moving him to Nose on 3rd and long to utilize his speed?
Old 11-26-2013   #157
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
You really can't go 11-5 & 12-4 and then fall apart and claim to still be an "expansion" team.
Truth is, this team wasn't as good as 11-5/12-4 talent or coaching wise. Neither are they as bad talentwise as the 2-14 path they seem to be headed down. The coaching has been as bad as their record is. Without divine intervention this team should be 0-11 now. (Just think about that for a moment.)
Old 11-26-2013   #158
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
The Shanahan/Kubiak version of the west coast offense is sick/dying and needs to be put to rest like old yeller. I personally am tired of a finesse offense especially when they get in the red zone. I want to see some power football and see our ol push some dl backwards on 3 and short or 4th and goal. On defense I don't care if they go 4-3 or stay 3-4 just stop somebody. Disguise some things and mix up the blitzes so the opposing teams don't know who is coming or from where. Build both sides of the ball around our good core players. Build from the trenches out. And can we finally get a fat boy in the middle of our DL?

We may want to think about trading AJ to a contending team next year. I personally want to see him succeed and retire happy. AJ has given everything here and deserves a chance at a superbowl before he retires. I am not sure this team can turn around quick enough for that to happen here. The rest of the players are young enough to continue building with. I'm not saying this team can't turn around quickly. I'm just saying a new coach and gm will need to weigh their options. For sure Schaub needs to go.
I'm a build the trenches guy. Something the Texans have never done and a big reason they are where they are today.
Old 11-26-2013   #159
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm a build the trenches guy. Something the Texans have never done and a big reason they are where they are today.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #160
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55827 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Truth is, this team wasn't as good as 11-5/12-4 talent or coaching wise. Neither are they as bad talentwise as the 2-14 path they seem to be headed down. The coaching has been as bad as their record is. Without divine intervention this team should be 0-11 now. (Just think about that for a moment.)

And without "divine intervention" (I don't know what this means but I assume it to mean we were lucky to win Weeks 1 and 2), we wouldn't have lost by 3 against Seattle (Ben Tate's fumble and the subsequent chain reaction), 1 against Kansas City (Cushing's injury), by 3 against Indy (all the BS penalties, Bullock, Andre's "incomplete catch"), by 3 against Arizona, or by 5 against Oakland.

It can go both ways. We are 2-9. That's what we are. We could easily be something else but we're 2-9. If people can't say "we could have won if......" then people certainly can't say "we would have lost if......"
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read