Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013   #981
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Just curious if scouts already know what his actual height, weight, strength numbers will be pre-Combine?

Anyone here dare guess?
I've guessed 5'11 185-195 before. I'll stick with that. No idea about strength numbers. Is say he runs a 4.55 maybe closer to 4.6.
Old 11-26-2013   #982
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61663 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
just curious if scouts already know what his actual height, weight, strength numbers will be pre-combine?

Anyone here dare guess?
5112, 210, 4.45
Old 11-26-2013   #983
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't watch college football I just read and hear about it, but does Manziel and the hype around him have a touch of the Tebows to it?
Old 11-26-2013   #984
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I don't watch college football I just read and hear about it, but does Manziel and the hype around him have a touch of the Tebows to it?
Vince Tebow

Actually I think JF is a much better passer than the other two . I wouldn't even consider drafting a QB high that threw chicken winged . Tebow ... I think is to ripped for his own good . He looks stiff and slow throwing .

Round Dan
Old 11-26-2013   #985
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Except he's the Anti-Tebow. He associates with people and goes places and does things that Tebow has nightmares about.

So far, Manziel doesn't have the level of hype Tebow had because he doesn't have the body of work that Tebow had.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Old 11-26-2013   #986
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Except he's the Anti-Tebow. He associates with people and goes places and does things that Tebow has nightmares about.

So far, Manziel doesn't have the level of hype Tebow had because he doesn't have the body of work that Tebow had.
Holy crap ... a new reality show ... Heisman Brothers . JF and Tim living it up in Los Angeles .

Round Dan
Old 11-26-2013   #987
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61663 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
You make a solid point about it being Manziel's 1st start and Bridgewater having 20+ under his belt at that point. Poor comparison by me. But you completely dodged the question and we both know it.

Bridgewater vs. #3 Florida with 20+ starts under his belt. He has Alex Kupper and Jamon Brown protecting him. Devante Parker is his #1 receiving option.

Manziel vs. #22 LSU with 20+ starts under his belt. He has Jake Matthews and Cedric Ogbuehi protecting him. Mike Evans is his #1 receiving option.

Who has the advantage?
I have already answered this once. My original answer hasn't change. There has been no dodge ball. you asked a question, you didn't like the answer, albeit it was the correct answer. It has nothing to do with OL an everything to do with his 1st start. No making up the rules as you go along. Why don't you just ask who has better Oline? It's not so much that you've a bias towards Bridgewater as much as you have a bias against Manziel. You clearly illustrate this point with each post you make in this thread.
Old 11-26-2013   #988
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just curious if scouts already know what his actual height, weight, strength numbers will be pre-Combine?

Anyone here dare guess?
Most schools are notorious for overlisting guys on measureables. Last I looked A&M had Manziel listed at 6'1, 210 lbs. I'd say he's closer to 5'11, 190. Won't go into detail on his strength numbers because nobody knows what's going on in that weight room so it's pointless to speculate.

As for his forty, I'd peg him for a mid-to-low 4.5 guy. He doesn't have the top end speed of a guy like Griffin or Denard Robinson, who both ran 4.4's. I'd say his athleticism compares more favorably to a guy like Russell Wilson, who ran a 4.55.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-26-2013   #989
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Vince Tebow

Actually I think JF is a much better passer than the other two . I wouldn't even consider drafting a QB high that threw chicken winged . Tebow ... I think is to ripped for his own good . He looks stiff and slow throwing .
I don't think there is any comparison between Manziel and Tebow unless you're talking system Quarterbacks and even then I don't think that's very valid. Scouts are torn on Manziel. They weren't torn on Tebow. Nobody thought he would be a successful NFL QB.

As for Vince and Manziel. I think they do compare favorably in that both of their games are predicated on their improvisational skills. Vince relied on those skills a lot in college and it hurt him in the NFL when he couldn't get away with it anymore. It's up for debate whether that will be the case with Manziel. I do think Vince has a stronger arm than Manziel, but that doesn't mean much if you don't know how to use it.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-26-2013   #990
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I have already answered this once. My original answer hasn't change. There has been no dodge ball. you asked a question, you didn't like the answer, albeit it was the correct answer. It has nothing to do with OL an everything to do with his 1st start. No making up the rules as you go along. Why don't you just ask who has better Oline? It's not so much that you've a bias towards Bridgewater as much as you have a bias against Manziel. You clearly illustrate this point with each post you make in this thread.
I'm as biased against him as you are biased for him. That much has been clearly proven by both of us in this thread. I'm never going to agree with you and you're never going to agree with me. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-27-2013   #991
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 46887 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think there is any comparison between Manziel and Tebow unless you're talking system Quarterbacks and even then I don't think that's very valid. Scouts are torn on Manziel. They weren't torn on Tebow. Nobody thought he would be a successful NFL QB.

As for Vince and Manziel. I think they do compare favorably in that both of their games are predicated on their improvisational skills. Vince relied on those skills a lot in college and it hurt him in the NFL when he couldn't get away with it anymore. It's up for debate whether that will be the case with Manziel. I do think Vince has a stronger arm than Manziel, but that doesn't mean much if you don't know how to use it.
Good post man. I agree completely. Vince just didn't have the smarts to truly understand the pro game nor the accuracy to survive. Manziel is already a much better passer and has as good, and arguably better, improvisational skills as Vince. That said, players like Manziel, Russell Wilson, Vince Young, RG3, and even Kaepernick are project players. NFL GMs were smart to not take Wilson or Kaepernick until the 2-3 rounds, because the fact is you really don't know how any of those type of players will turn out in the NFL.
Old 11-27-2013   #992
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think manziel is going to run a little slower 40 than people expect. Still gonna be fast, but I don't think he's going to blaze.

I think he's going to crush the three cone and shuttle though if he does them at his pro day or combine.
Old 11-27-2013   #993
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think manziel is going to run a little slower 40 than people expect. Still gonna be fast, but I don't think he's going to blaze.

I think he's going to crush the three cone and shuttle though if he does them at his pro day or combine.
He'll be a 4.65 guy .

Round Dan
Old 11-27-2013   #994
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree with VY relying on improvisation in college. I watched a lot of UT football when VY was there. I didn't miss a game his last year I don't think....

VY had some nice talent around him. Ramonce Taylor, Jamal Charles, I think the TE's name was Harris...white guy...he was a baller...they had some good receivers too.

They really just shredded teams. I don't remember VY back there running all over the place and doing the things JM does. It was more make a simple read and go.

Honestly, I mainly recall VY and the Texas offense killing people within the framework of called plays most times.

Last edited by Rey; 11-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2013   #995
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He'll be a 4.65 guy .
That's about what I think.

We'll see though...
Old 11-28-2013   #996
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He'll be a 4.65 guy .
^^^^
This

He will kill the 3-cone/short shuttle though. Better than most WR/RB's.
Old 11-28-2013   #997
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, he isn't a blazer. Quick and nimble is more him than fast.

4.6 or 4.58-.59 sounds right to me.
Old 11-30-2013   #998
Texian
Hall of Fame

That was a heck of a TD pass by Johnny. That is all! 14-7
Old 11-30-2013   #999
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree with VY relying on improvisation in college. I watched a lot of UT football when VY was there. I didn't miss a game his last year I don't think....

VY had some nice talent around him. Ramonce Taylor, Jamal Charles, I think the TE's name was Harris...white guy...he was a baller...they had some good receivers too.

They really just shredded teams. I don't remember VY back there running all over the place and doing the things JM does. It was more make a simple read and go.

Honestly, I mainly recall VY and the Texas offense killing people within the framework of called plays most times.
You're on target here. TE was David Thomas. Insanely good college TE.

Texas had otherworldly NFL talent on that 2005 squad. VY mainly played within the offense because he didn't need to do much else. That Texas offense is really the reason the Zone Read exploded the way that it did. Put your best athlete at QB and give him three options, Give, Pass to #1, or Run. Incredibly simple but effective. Obviously it has become more diverse since then, but the simplicity of that offense is one of the reasons I think Young had trouble adapting to a NFL system.

To Wolverine's point, VY did plenty of improvisation in that Rose Bowl against Michigan. He killed that defense on broken plays.
Old 12-01-2013   #1000
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope JFF draft fans watched the last two games. He's an elite scrambler, and that's about it. He doesn't make decisions fast enough to compete at the NFL level, he hangs on to the ball waaaaaaaaaaay too long most of the time. Evans couldn't bail him out, so they lose, again. As an Aggie fan, I hope he drafts. We need someone new at the helm.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read