Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-26-2013   #61
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Please stop blowing smoke up people's rear ends

In your own words.. "you felt" (are we really going to get in a discussion over feelings and felt?) Houston would lock up the division... You felt a sense of entitlement.

you clearly dont understand what entitlement means

I feel that interest rates will go up
I feel that taxes will go up
I feel that you understand clearly the difference but cant admit you were wrong

None of that nor my expectation that the texans would win the south are entitlement
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #62
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
(2012) Andrew Luck?
The one real no brainer I referenced.
Old 11-26-2013   #63
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Let me go on the record,

I would rather not have a team in Houston than have the product that is currently being thrown out on the field. I'm sure 2012 feels differently.

But if everybody pulled a either do everything you can BoB to put a winner on the field or get out of town, like we did with Bud. Then I'm sure things would truly change down on Kirby.

It looks like that may have to happen or BoB retire/die for change to happen.
You may be right but I'm never playing chicken again with an NFL owner and I couldn't in good conscience recommend that any other fan or fans do so.
Old 11-26-2013   #64
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
you clearly dont understand what entitlement means

I feel that interest rates will go up
I feel that taxes will go up
I feel that you understand clearly the difference but cant admit you were wrong

None of that nor my expectation that the texans would win the south are entitlement
Again...

Stop trying to blow smoke us people's asses When you create a freaking handle based solely on your expectation that your team "will lock down a division" you "expect" results and a certain level of play.. you can try to spin the definitions any way you want to, but again you're just blowing smoke.

Texan fans shouldn't just be mindless drones with a dollar that they're willing to fork out, who are solely happy just to have football back in town regardless of the outcome on the field..

That's not why they will sign up on a internet message boards creating names like 2012Champs, because they expectations to lock down a division.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #65
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again...

Stop trying to blow smoke us people's asses When you create a freaking handle based solely on your expectation that your team "will lock down a division" you "expect" results and a certain level of play.. you can try to spin the definitions any way you want to, but again you're just blowing smoke.

Texan fans shouldn't just be mindless drones with a dollar that they're willing to fork out, who are solely happy just to have football back in town regardless of the outcome on the field..

That's not why they will sign up on a internet message boards creating names like 2012Champs, because they expectations to lock down a division.

do you understand the expectations and entitlement are two different terms?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #66
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The one real no brainier I referenced.
There was more no brainers than that.

my point is, there's no clear cut favorite in this draft.. There's no Luck, Stafford, of even Bradford. There's a boat load of 2nd tier QBs who haven't exactly separated themselves from the pack. If we (and we are) going to have a top pick, I'd rather take a elite prospect at another position and get a QB later.
Old 11-26-2013   #67
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There was more no brainers than that.

my point is, there's no clear cut favorite in this draft.. There's no Luck, Stafford, of even Bradford. There's a boat load of 2nd tier QBs who haven't exactly separated themselves from the pack. If we (and we are) going to have a top pick, I'd rather take a elite prospect at another position and get a QB later.
Matt Miller of The Bleacher Reoprt said Teddy was the 2nd best QB he's ever scouted . Better than RG3 , Stafford . Bradford and so on ... FWIW .
Old 11-26-2013   #68
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Matt Miller of The Bleacher Reoprt said Teddy was the 2nd best QB he's ever scouted . Better than RG3 , Stafford . Bradford and so on ... FWIW .
For the sake of this franchise I hope so, I just don't see it. His floor is high as hell (at worst he'll be solid), I just don't think there's much room between the floor and the ceiling. I really don't see any difference between someone like him and someone we wouldn't be able to grab later.
Old 11-26-2013   #69
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Let me go on the record,

I would rather not have a team in Houston than have the product that is currently being thrown out on the field. I'm sure 2012 feels differently.

But if everybody pulled a either do everything you can BoB to put a winner on the field or get out of town, like we did with Bud. Then I'm sure things would truly change down on Kirby.

It looks like that may have to happen or BoB retire/die for change to happen.
For the record, letting Bud leave town had nothing to do with the w/l record of the team, or the team at all
Old 11-26-2013   #70
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For the sake of this franchise I hope so, I just don't see it. His floor is high as hell (at worst he'll be solid), I just don't think there's much room between the floor and the ceiling.
That's the slippery slope . You play it safe and go with Mathews and Teddy becomes the real deal , you just set yourself back years .

Walter Football just came out with a new mock at noon and the Texans picked Clowney 2nd . I they had the Texans picking Boyd in the 2nd .
Old 11-26-2013   #71
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the kid can play.. I'll take him and I don't give a crap about his last name.

Peyton is Brady's prison girlfriend, but his little brother has denied him of two SB rings.

If the guy can play, who care's if he's David's brother.
I tend to agree, but the lack of competition is a problem. If I am going to get a guy with mostly question marks on lack of competition, it's Bridgewater.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #72
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I tend to agree, but the lack of competition is a problem. If I am going to get a guy with mostly question marks on lack of competition, it's Bridgewater.
Who has Bridgewater played against? He's playing against the same level of competition Carr has. That's why in my eyes the tiebreaker is physical skills/talent and Carr wins there.
Old 11-26-2013   #73
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who has Bridgewater played against? He's playing against the same level of competition Carr has.
Well, he had that game against Florida. His competition is also better in conference, not by a whole lot but it's still better.

Regardless, that wasn't my point. My point was that Bridgewater looks more sure-fire than Carr does, although both have their question marks.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #74
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What Vinny said.

Yep. And I'll tell you what I think - we're going to need another QB after the 2014 draft anyway, because whoever they pick, they're not going to be The One. Franchise QBs aren't available every draft, so don't force it. Of course, everyone here thinks we should force it, so whatever. Personally, I can see at least a couple franchise QB prospects coming out next year, but do not see one at all this year. Looking back:

2013: no true franchise prospect

2012: one real no brainer, and then the overblown hype bout RGIII, who I like but do not buy into long term because of his style. In retrospect, Russell Wilson might be the 2nd best QB from that class long term, but no one tabbed him as a true franchise QB prospect.

2011: Cam Newton was the only no brainer, AFAIC

2010: Sam Bradford was considered to be that pro-ready, franchise QB prospect - perhaps not to the talent level of a guy like Luck, but a guy that could be built around. No one else.

2009: Stafford.

2008: Matt Ryan.

Could go on, but you get the point. There's usually (not always) one consensus franchise caliber QB prospect. They're usually taken in the top few picks. Whether or not they pan out is a different subject. But the overriding point is unless you get a top pick in a year that happens to have one of those, you're either forcing the issue and hoping it pans out, or you're developing one from a later round (Wilson, GSmith, Foles, Cousins, Dalton, etc.). That's not any more ht or miss than the top round picks when you look at bust rates, TBH.

I just don't want to see the team force a pick on a QB just because they have a top pick and they need a QB. If the QB isn't there at the top of the first round (there isn't, IMO), then take BPA and grab a QB in the 2nd-4th round. I feel like McCarron, Murray (before injury), Mettenberger, Carr, and maybe another one or two QBs could turn out to be just as good as Bridgewater from this draft. I don't see any of them turning out to be the next Luck, Manning, or even Matt Ryan, but hey, you never know. I just don't see the reward for the risk of a top pick.

JMO.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Eriadoc. Personally (and obviously this is JMO) I think Bridgewater can be that guy. Maybe it's the issue of us seeing different stuff on tape. Whatever the cause, I think he IS the franchise guy, and our debate aside this is the job for the new FO (or god forbid the current FO) to decide. Is he the guy? This is a important question that will shape the fate of this franchise. I think he is, but if he's not I will accept it and look elsewhere. The idea of drafting OL and LB talent is a good one. I don't like it as much because it takes a year out of having a QB, and then we're rolling the dice on being able to get Winston or Hogan or Petty (any three or all three of whom could fall off a la Barkley). There is no sure thing in the NFL.

At the end of the day we need a franchise QB. I don't care who it is, I want one. I just think that Bridgewater could be that guy. I could be totally wrong. I'm certainly not rabid about him, but I see the potential there. You don't - and the FO is gonna have to decide for themselves. Let's just hope as fans they make the right choice, whatever it is.
Old 11-26-2013   #75
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
If the kid can play.. I'll take him and I don't give a crap about his last name.

Peyton is Brady's prison girlfriend, but his little brother has denied him of two SB rings.

If the guy can play, who care's if he's David's brother.
I generally agree but in this particular instance the name does matter because it raises a giant red flag question which needs to be answered - Is Derek more committed to the game than his brother was (which goes hand in hand with is he more coachable than his brother)? There are lots of related questions on that - is he going to study at home or at the facility, is he going to be an island on the team, etc. There are legitimate reasons for Texans fans to at least want a more thorough investigation than normal because we have more information than normal.
Old 11-26-2013   #76
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
That's the slippery slope . You play it safe and go with Mathews and Teddy becomes the real deal , you just set yourself back years .

Walter Football just came out with a new mock at noon and the Texans picked Clowney 2nd . I they had the Texans picking Boyd in the 2nd .
Id be happy with that mock. There's a crap load of talent at the QB position this year.. but none really worth a top 5 pick. You can grab a player actually worth a top 5 pick and pick up a QB in the 2nd round without losing much talent wise.

I disagree with you though.. even if Teddy becomes the real deal and you miss out on him, you don't set yourself back years, because you'll be in line to draft another Teddy next year. You'll set yourself back years if he doesn't live up to being a top 5 pick QB and proves not to be worth the time you're going to have to invest in him if you do take him top 5.
Old 11-26-2013   #77
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Id be happy with that mock. There's a crap load of talent at the QB position this year.. but none really worth a top 5 pick. You can grab a player actually worth a top 5 pick and pick up a QB in the 2nd round without losing much talent wise.

I disagree with you though.. even if Teddy becomes the real deal and you miss out on him, you don't set yourself back years, because you'll be in line to draft another Teddy next year. You'll set yourself back years if he doesn't live up to being a top 5 pick QB and proves not to be worth the time you're going to have to invest in him if you do take him top 5.
If Teddy or the QB you pick turns out to be a player , your set . The problem is getting the blemishes off him in time to play with JJ and the others entering their prime . Teddy is a Miami native , maybe that will make AJ happy .

While Luck isn't exactly setting the world on fire , he is way ahead of schedule compared to RG3 and the other young QBs . That's who your trying to close the gap against , if you want to be king of the AFC south again .

For cherry picking purposes .

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php
Old 11-26-2013   #78
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Eriadoc. Personally (and obviously this is JMO) I think Bridgewater can be that guy.

At the end of the day we need a franchise QB. I don't care who it is, I want one. I just think that Bridgewater could be that guy. I could be totally wrong. I'm certainly not rabid about him, but I see the potential there. You don't - and the FO is gonna have to decide for themselves. Let's just hope as fans they make the right choice, whatever it is.
That's cool. I was just explaining my thought process.
Old 11-26-2013   #79
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's cool. I was just explaining my thought process.
Definitely. I can see where that viewpoint comes from, too. The BPA (i.e. Clowney, Barr, Matthews) camp has a lot of merit to it. Unfortunately we have been set back so far as a franchise we are in this situation. It's pitiful.

Say you were given the first overall pick. Do you make your choice there or do you trade down?
Old 11-26-2013   #80
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Definitely. I can see where that viewpoint comes from, too. The BPA (i.e. Clowney, Barr, Matthews) camp has a lot of merit to it. Unfortunately we have been set back so far as a franchise we are in this situation. It's pitiful.
Part of the setback is the mauling of the salary cap . The bad news part 2 is they have to pay their best player pretty soon .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read