Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013   #361
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Roman is like the "Dennison" of the Texans. It's Harbaugh who calls the plays.
Old 11-26-2013   #362
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
You notice the shannys are crapping the bed too even with a good qb in rg3. The system is old, slow and outdated. You can put lipstick on a pig (like they did last season) but at the end of the day, its just a hunk of pork. Bottom line, the system they run is outdated, pack it up and send them on their way, no qb will make them look good anymore. The NFL has passed them by.
Yep. I messaged a friend in Washington, D.C. last night: "It's time for Kubiak and Shanahan to admit that their system is tired."
Old 11-26-2013   #363
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think change is messy. I strongly disagree that the change, in itself, will improve things.
..said the Chiefs.

...and the Seahawks.

...and the 49ers.

...and the Broncos.

...and the Colts.

...and the...

You're right, Dale; Change NEVER works.

Shaking my freaking head.
Old 11-26-2013   #364
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope & Change!

Old 11-26-2013   #365
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
..said the Chiefs.

...and the Seahawks.

...and the 49ers.

...and the Broncos.

...and the Colts.

...and the...

The 49ers are doing it with the DC that the Texans fired with Capers .
Old 11-26-2013   #366
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Hope & Change!
Hope this change doesn't cost me the change that Barrycare is costing.
Old 11-26-2013   #367
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45144 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
What's the difference?

McNair judgment - as it relates to football - has been clouded for a long time.

At times I think he's just a younger version of Bud Adams...pretty clueless.

Bob Allen asked last night (Mon) on Ch 11 " Where has McNair been all this time?"
"He hasn't been heard from since before Kubiak had his stroke"

Think maybe he is jetting around asking questions, visiting prospects for GM or coach, both? Doubt it though, todays media would be all over it.

Old 11-26-2013   #368
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
..said the Chiefs.

...and the Seahawks.

...and the 49ers.

...and the Broncos.

...and the Colts.

...and the...

Meh-the point he's making is that change doesn't ALWAYS work. We could change to everyone's favorite coaches and GM, draft a "franchise QB" and end up in the same situation 3-4 years from now. Fire everyone again in 4 years and be back in the same situation 3-4 years later. Stability is better but you have to evaluate at the end of each season if it's better to remain on course or roll the dice.

A lot of people won't like this statement but - I think Kubiak could win a Superbowl as a HC. I just don't think he's good enough to do it on his own. He's not a top 5-10 coach. He's just a middle of the pack coach. He needs a top 5 QB to do it with and he's been stuck with (his fault) a top 20 QB. His 2 biggest mistakes have been choosing rookie DCs and sticking with Schaub without bringing in true competition. He has a laundry list of other reasons he should lose his job after the season is over.

A franchise QB makes a good head coach great. A middle of the pack QB makes a good head coach look bad.

That said - time to replace Kubiak and everyone else. Roll the dice McNair.
Old 11-26-2013   #369
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Yeah, the idea that a GM is a failure for not having Pro Bowl talent at every position is a little ridiculous. I'll take a few lumps and have a hit in the 1st round every time.
The question should be, do you want a guy with Rick's draft background having the power to handpick his HC?

I dont, this will ensure another 5-10 yr period of the current Texans futility. IMHO Rick is/was nothing more than Gary's yes man. He will probably keep his job because of one thing, He has saved Uncle BoB alot of $$$$ during his tenure. Remember BoB looked up to and admired how Bud did business. It looks like BoB's franchise is headed down the same path. Hiring people like Rick Smith will help ensure ths. IMHO

Rick Smith is to BoB what Ladd Herzeg was to Bud. Only difference is Rick has more class than Ladd could've ever dreamed of having. But make no mistake, they both share the same roles in the org. (Henchmen) See: Ryans/Winston/Reed etc.... anybody that speaks out against the Texans way Losiing ways) will be let go. Speaking out against the Texans way is bad for the brand and BoB doesn't want to kill that golden goose. (Not that I blame him.)
Old 11-26-2013   #370
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He (Rick Smith) will probably keep his job because of one thing, He has saved Uncle BoB alot of $$$$ during his tenure.
I've never heard that before. How has Smith saved McNair money?
Old 11-26-2013   #371
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
..said the Chiefs.

...and the Seahawks.

...and the 49ers.

...and the Broncos.

...and the Colts.

...and the...

SO, are your comprehension skills this poor or is this an intentional tactic to distort what I said?

If you look at my post, I said that I believe replacing Kubiak is necessary. I was responding to someone who said "anyone would be better" and questioned why I was so focused on who the replacement would be.

My point is that change, in itself, does not improve create growth/improvement. Most of the historically bad organizations have a history of frequent organizational change. Why a Texan fan would argue with me for suggesting that I want the organization to carefully and thoughtfully select the next head coach is baffling to me and illustrates how much you are motivated by hate and anger towards Kubiak and company rather than genuine affinity for the team.
Old 11-26-2013   #372
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Ok, and a quarterback!

That spits!
And a cheerleader!

That does the opposite!
Old 11-26-2013   #373
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
SO, are your comprehension skills this poor or is this an intentional tactic to distort what I said?

If you look at my post, I said that I believe replacing Kubiak is necessary. I was responding to someone who said "anyone would be better" and questioned why I was so focused on who the replacement would be.

My point is that change, in itself, does not improve create growth/improvement. Most of the historically bad organizations have a history of frequent organizational change. Why a Texan fan would argue with me for suggesting that I want the organization to carefully and thoughtfully select the next head coach is baffling to me and illustrates how much you are motivated by hate and anger towards Kubiak and company rather than genuine affinity for the team.
LOL. You're questioning my affinity for this team? I'm not even going to dignify that nonsense with a response.

I will say this: There are Houston Texans fans, and there are Gary Kubiak fans. You are not a Houston Texans fan. You are a Gary Kubiak fan. That's cool. I respect that. Just OWN it, already and stop pretending that you want what's best for the team.

As Jerome Solomon said yesterday, the "Who else better can we get?" is the lamest, most absurd excuse in all of sports.
Old 11-26-2013   #374
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL. You're questioning my affinity for this team? I'm not even going to dignify that nonsense with a response.

I will say this: There are Houston Texans fans, and there are Gary Kubiak fans. You are not a Houston Texans fan. You are a Gary Kubiak fan. That's cool. I respect that. Just OWN it, already and stop pretending that you want what's best for the team.

As Jerome Solomon said yesterday, the "Who else better can we get?" is the lamest, most absurd excuse in all of sports.
I am both. I am a Texan fan and also a Kubiak fan. I was a Texan fan before Kubiak arrived, and I will be one after he exits. I will also continue to root for him, because I like to see good people succeed. I'm not sure why this upsets people. I have enjoyed the ride the past eight years. I am disappointed that it did not work out better than it has.

I'm not sure what excuse you are referring to? I did not even hint that we shouldn't fire Kubiak. I said it needs to be done, but his removal does not solve any of the team's problems until/unless he is replaced by the right guy. Who could possibly disagree with this?

It appears to me that your rooting interests are much more tied to Kubiak than mine are. I'm wanting to discuss who could come in and coach the Texans to greater success and you are simply fixating on Kubiak and getting rid of him. He's gone. Whether we follow him up with a Bobby Petrino or a Jim Harbaugh is what I care about.
Old 11-26-2013   #375
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I've never heard that before. How has Smith saved McNair money?
Thru letting guys like Winston/Ryans go and replacing them with 7th rd picks like Newton/James/Mays. Also the total build thru the draft philosophy is cheaper. It's OK to have that philosophy, but you need to be much... much .... beter at your job than Rick has been if you have that philosophy.

Do you really want the guy (Rick) who signed off on the Schaub extention (C_N_D told us how it was going to end with Schaub) Foster (RB's with over 300 touches always breakdown) making decisions that will impact this franchise for the next decade? I think I will pass on that. BoB should think about the Schaub deal every time he thinks about handing the keys over to Rick Smith.
Old 11-26-2013   #376
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I am both. I am a Texan fan and also a Kubiak fan. I was a Texan fan before Kubiak arrived, and I will be one after he exits. I will also continue to root for him, because I like to see good people succeed. I'm not sure why this upsets people. I have enjoyed the ride the past eight years. I am disappointed that it did not work out better than it has.

I'm not sure what excuse you are referring to? I did not even hint that we shouldn't fire Kubiak. I said it needs to be done, but his removal does not solve any of the team's problems until/unless he is replaced by the right guy. Who could possibly disagree with this?

It appears to me that your rooting interests are much more tied to Kubiak than mine are. I'm wanting to discuss who could come in and coach the Texans to greater success and you are simply fixating on Kubiak and getting rid of him. He's gone. Whether we follow him up with a Bobby Petrino or a Jim Harbaugh is what I care about.
Kubiak is great people. Many great people that aren't very good at their jobs get fired everyday. Fact is that the Texans would be in much better shape if they had gone out and hired a new regime with a good track record after the 2010 season. But BoB didn't want to do anything traumatic and here we sit today looking at the #1 draft pick for the 3rd time in a 12 yr span. That screams of ineptness and it's time to bring in a whole new regime. If BoB doesn't it will show the fanbase how much he really cares about winning vs making $$$$.

BTW, Give me Gruden, Jay Gruden that is. He's got the same fire that Jon used to have and this org would get some much needed accountability/discipline. Which is why BoB will never hire a coach like Gruden. He wont fit in with the Texans way.
Old 11-26-2013   #377
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thru letting guys like Winston/Ryans go and replacing them with 7th rd picks like Newton/James/Mays. Also the total build thru the draft philosophy is cheaper. It's OK to have that philosophy, but you need to be much... much .... beter at your job than Rick has been if you have that philosophy.

Do you really want the guy (Rick) who signed off on the Schaub extention (C_N_D told us how it was going to end with Schaub) Foster (RB's with over 300 touches always breakdown) making decisions that will impact this franchise for the next decade? I think I will pass on that. BoB should think about the Schaub deal every time he thinks about handing the keys over to Rick Smith.
I want Smith gone but your logic is flawed. Smith has spent the full salary cap each year. That's not saving McNair money. This isn't MLB. I thought you meant that Smith was getting paid way less than other GMs. hehe

Back to the anti-Kubiak talk.
Old 11-26-2013   #378
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan;2257714[B
]Kubiak is great people. Many great people that aren't very good at their jobs get fired everyday. Fact is that the Texans would be in much better shape if they had gone out and hired a new regime with a good track record after the 2010 season. But BoB didn't want to do anything traumatic and here we sit today looking at the #1 draft pick for the 3rd time in a 12 yr span. That screams of ineptness and it's time to bring in a whole new regime. If BoB doesn't it will show the fanbase how much he really cares about winning vs making $$$$.[/b]

BTW, Give me Gruden, Jay Gruden that is. He's got the same fire that Jon used to have and this org would get some much needed accountability/discipline. Which is why BoB will never hire a coach like Gruden. He wont fit in with the Texans way.
Correct. I would give Gary Kubiak - a perfect stranger - the keys to my house, the pin number to my checking account, my wallet and every other asset I own. He's simply a good dude.

I will not, however, give him the head coaching position of a billion dollar franchise (if I owned one).

And, yes, had we made the right move in 2010 and replaced him, we would be in much better shape.

Also, there's this: McNair did Kubiak more harm by keeping him after 2010. If he'd been fired after 2010, Kubiak's record wouldn't be so glaring. Now, three years later, when you look at the big picture of Kubiak's head coaching tenure, all you see is a big line of fail. That will prevent him from getting a head coaching job again, I'm guessing.

Sometimes you do people a favor by firing them.
Old 11-26-2013   #379
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Correct. I would give Gary Kubiak - a perfect stranger - the keys to my house, the pin number to my checking account, my wallet and every other asset I own. He's simply a good dude.

I will not, however, give him the head coaching position of a billion dollar franchise (if I owned one).

And, yes, had we made the right move in 2010 and replaced him, we would be in much better shape.

Also, there's this: McNair did Kubiak more harm by keeping him after 2010. If he'd been fired after 2010, Kubiak's record wouldn't be so glaring. Now, three years later, when you look at the big picture of Kubiak's head coaching tenure, all you see is a big line of fail. That will prevent him from getting a head coaching job again, I'm guessing.

Sometimes you do people a favor by firing them.
I'm not going to argue the point that he needs to go. The perfect flush happened in the AFC South that allowed the Texans to hang two banners. I'm sure Kubiak had something to do with that but I'm not here to defend him. I agree at this point he's toast and needs to start cleaning out his office probably around December 28th because I'm sure he's accumulated alot of stuff in 8 years. He'll need every bit of those two days.

My main point here and a few other threads is: Where is the empirical evidence that "we would be in much better shape."? There's no way you can guarantee that. Nowhere close even. We could have and may still have a replacement that looks really great on paper that wilts like dead weeds and has no success in righting the ship. As several others have stated, it could get worse. I hope like hell it gets us to the show but my point is, there's no guarantee. For every 'good time, great turn-around story' that's been spewed my bet is an astute Googler can find twice as many, probably more, that imploded.

That's all I'm saying.

Carry on.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 11-26-2013   #380
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Otherwise, mike Zimmerman would be a person to look at...
George? Robert?

Oh, Zimmer, the DC with the Bengals.

Not bad. I can see him being in the hunt.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read