Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-25-2013   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown and Jake Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
This. It has become painfully clear to me that we may not suck enough to get our hands on someone like Winston next year, so let's grab our franchise guy while we can. Other than the knock on his arm (which isn't a big knock, let's be honest, his arm is more than adequate) Bridgewater has a strong mental game and is almost unfazed by pressure. He steps up in the pocket to deliver.

We land Bridgewater in the 1st, pick up a pass rusher in the second (if we have first pick we can probably still land a late 1st round prospect who just slipped a little) and look for O-line in the third, ILB in the fourth (or perhaps trade up lower picks for another 3rd rounder and get Skov) and so on.

I expect us to pick up a nickel CB in free agency.
Try to trade down and fix alot of the holes this yr. Get a #1 pick in 2015 and use it plus your own 2015 1st rd pick and a 2016 pick if you have to to pick one of Winston/Hogan/Petty, all of whom I like better than Bridgewater.

Lets hope we learned something from the Carr experience and put a great OL around the new QB that should be drafted in the 2015 draft. No need to get Bridgewater killed the way Carr did.

Hopefully the Texans learned to build a strong Foundation 1st, instead of going for the glitz and glamour pick.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #62
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112130 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Try to trade down and fix alot of the holes this yr. Get a #1 pick in 2015 and use it plus your own 2015 1st rd pick and a 2016 pick if you have to to pick one of Winston/Hogan/Petty, all of whom I like better than Bridgewater.

Lets hope we learned something from the Carr experience and put a great OL around the new QB that should be drafted in the 2015 draft. No need to get Bridgewater killed the way Carr did.

Hopefully the Texans learned to build a strong Foundation 1st, instead of going for the glitz and glamour pick.
Colts went all in for Luck and stuck him behind a horrid O-Line. They seem to be doing fine.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #63
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Texans have no QB

I doubt the new head coach is going to suffer through their first year with bums at the most important position in football
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #64
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You think one of Winston/Hogan/Petty are worth Bridgewater or Mariota + two #1 starters? I don't and Petty is only one that has to come out. Bad move imo.
Old 11-25-2013   #65
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You think one of Winston/Hogan/Petty are worth Bridgewater or Mariota + two #1 starters? I don't and Petty is only one that has to come out. Bad move imo.
After the OL is fixed and the DL/LB's are fixed, then yes I do think Winston/Hogan/Petty are better by alot over Bridgewater.

If you're a trade down kinda guy, do you trade down with Cleveland for a RG3 type trade? I do, and there are better QB options in 2015.
Old 11-25-2013   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The Texans have no QB

I doubt the new head coach is going to suffer through their first year with bums at the most important position in football
Not disagreeing with you.

But after the Carr experience you hope the Texans learned their lesson on how to build a team.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 11-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2013   #67
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Colts went all in for Luck and stuck him behind a horrid O-Line. They seem to be doing fine.
"Doing fine" meant being flukey-as-hell statistically last year and having it catch up to them over the last two weeks.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After the OL is fixed and the DL/LB's are fixed, then yes I do think Winston/Hogan/Petty are better by alot over Bridgewater.

If you're a trade down kinda guy, do you trade down with Cleveland for a RG3 type trade? I do, and there are better QB options in 2015.
Well I have already posted my trade mock so that answers that but I'd be stunned if anyone else bought your scenario. What happens if Petty is only one coming out and we can't buy a trade to get him? I will have to think hard about passing up Mariotta if available.
Old 11-25-2013   #69
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The team has no QB or pass rush outside JJ Watt.
... Despite spending high round picks on the position every year. So having them spend yet another high round draft pick on the position does nothing to assure me they'll fix that problem, especially if Rick Smith stays.

Quote:
You can fix RT in round 3. Can't really do that with QB or pass rusher (baring a Russell Wilson-like breakout)
If they could fix RT with a 3rd rounder, then they should have already. Pass rush can be fixed with a 3rd round pick if the people doing the picking don't suck. If they suck, then a 1st or 2nd rounder isn't going to help anyway. This particular year, QBs will be available in the 3rd that can be impact players.
Old 11-25-2013   #70
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112130 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
"Doing fine" meant being flukey-as-hell statistically last year and having it catch up to them over the last two weeks.
They still made the playoffs last year and will win the division this year. Not too bad for a team with almost no talent outside of the QB position.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #71
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
... Despite spending high round picks on the position every year. So having them spend yet another high round draft pick on the position does nothing to assure me they'll fix that problem, especially if Rick Smith stays.

If they could fix RT with a 3rd rounder, then they should have already. Pass rush can be fixed with a 3rd round pick if the people doing the picking don't suck. If they suck, then a 1st or 2nd rounder isn't going to help anyway. This particular year, QBs will be available in the 3rd that can be impact players.
Other than Watt our pass rushers have been pretty pathetic. Merci looked good Sunday but is about avg in my view. Can we look at Trevardo Williams being the man?
Old 11-26-2013   #72
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How many RTs in the NFL are first round picks (not counting failed LTs)?

Unless you want the Texans starting Mark Sanchez next year, they are going QB in round 1
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #73
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am all in for a Wash-STL trade back with CLE. And if QB Blake Bortles declares I would give strong consideration to him being the first pick

Quote:

If Texans traded back w/ CLE and also got their Indy pick for Richardson, IMHO Brandon Scherff makes a lot sense there. Plays LT but can play RT. Best case scenario if Brown gets injured. I know, I know a lot of Ifs, Ands or Butts and a whole lot of Wishful Thinking.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #74
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

It's not about getting a RT in the first round. It's about getting a right tackle now, and a left tackle later (and as injury insurance for the left tackle spot). I have severe doubts about any of the other lineman on this team playing left tackle should Duane Brown ever go down. We'd also have the best pair of bookends in the NFL for at least 5 years.

I honestly just want the position addressed within the first 2 rounds by a player of high caliber
Old 11-30-2013   #75
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

You can call it whatever you like, it's still a right tackle in the top five.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #76
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

My confidence in Texan OL performance dropped once Bruce fled back to Tennessee, that short stint proved the most fruitful in terms of a cohesive unit able to control line of scrimmage as well protect an immobile QB. His son Jake, most likely will be mis-cast in the hands of a franchise who is OT needy. To me he looks like a natural, most likely Hall of Fame capable LG. Put him next to Duane Brown & teams would have hard time stopping the run or pressuring the QB. Draft a RT top of 2nd & with the young players coming back next offseason off IR as well as Brooks, Myers & Newton that would be a formidable OL to reckon with for any team

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #77
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
After watching the Offensive line play the last two season, I have no problems taking a right tackle in the top five. It's been that bad
Old 11-30-2013   #78
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
My confidence in Texan OL performance dropped once Bruce fled back to Tennessee, that short stint proved the most fruitful in terms of a cohesive unit able to control line of scrimmage as well protect an immobile QB. His son Jake, most likely will be mis-cast in the hands of a franchise who is OT needy. To me he looks like a natural, most likely Hall of Fame capable LG. Put him next to Duane Brown & teams would have hard time stopping the run or pressuring the QB. Draft a RT top of 2nd & with the young players coming back next offseason off IR as well as Brooks, Myers & Newton that would be a formidable OL to reckon with for any team
Never thought about Matthews as a OG. But you're right.

John Hannah/Randel McDaniel kind of great.
Old 11-30-2013   #79
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I call it filling a dire need hole for a few years then same "it" moves to one of the most important positions on the team and locks it down. I call it a safe, smart move if we can['t get the trade down we want. Matthews and Mosley only two "can't miss" players in first round.
Old 11-30-2013   #80
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fisher,Joeckel, and Johnson all went in the top five this past draft. And each of them are currently listed at right tackle for their teams. Not exactly unheard of.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read