Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2013   #341
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Coach Debate

Lovie smith doesn't do it for me.
Old 11-25-2013   #342
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Do we have a new head coach yet? Heck, what about an interim head coach?
Old 11-25-2013   #343
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I've never seen good quarterback development under Lovie Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Another player's coach? No thanks. The team needs R. Lee Ermy. There won't be any letterman jackets with him.
Went to a SB, another NFC championship game where his starting QB got hurt. He was 10-6 last year and got fired. I think he would work here. He was able to lead Rex freaking Grossman to a SB. Remember when Grossman was here?
Old 11-25-2013   #344
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Do we have a new head coach yet? Heck, what about an interim head coach?
Do you really want an interim coach to cloud McNair's judgment? The Texans have been playing close games. They have only needed a play or 2 in each of the last 5 games to win. Imagine:

Wade Phillips takes over.
-Texans play hard against the Pats but lose another tight one.
-Texans smash the Jags gaining a little confidence.
-Texans have all the luck (pun intended) and win with TDs on special teams and D against the Colts.
-Broncos have their playoff seed locked and take Manning out after the first quarter. Texans steal a win.
-Titans have nothing left to play for and Texans are rolling. Texans win again.

If it happened then there's a good chance that McNair would give the Phillips the chance in 2014 given the 4 game streak to end the 2013 season. Is it far-fetched? Yeah. Seriously though...do you want any part of that being a possibility?

Last edited by Exascor; 11-25-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Missed "the Colts" in that game.
Old 11-25-2013   #345
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks on gruden or cowher.. They have been away too long and will struggle to put a strong staff together.

I would be interested in Greg Roman or Ray Horton, depending on Roman's plan on defense or Zimmer's plan on offense.

Otherwise, mike Zimmerman would be a person to look at.

Beyond those guys, I am not sure... I wouldn't hate Lovie Smith, but I share concerns with others about the consistently mediocre offenses he has had.
Old 11-25-2013   #346
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever happens, I want the offense to be very versatile and balanced. I love the rollouts and the fundamental philosophies behind what we have now. Would love to get more creative though. I'm not too crazy about Dennison and thought Baby Shanahan was much better at OC.

I want a guy who will teach the team to play hard but not stupid or dirty. We've been penalized way, way, way too much and frankly I've seen a lot of thuggery on this team on the field in recent years perhaps to overcompensate for our reputation as "being soft." I don't like that. You can play tough without being dumb or dirty. See JJ Watt.

I also don't want some college gimmick guy. You strike out on that and it's a waste of time and we'll go from simply having one down year to being in spiral mode where we're forced to truly rebuild.

I don't want Gruden. Overrated and overdiscussed. I'd like Cowher but his offensive creativity is not very prevalent.

I simply don't know who'll be available and I don't know much about coaching staffs around the league to see which coordinators we might pluck.
Old 11-25-2013   #347
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
No thanks on gruden or cowher.. They have been away too long and will struggle to put a strong staff together.

I would be interested in Greg Roman or Ray Horton, depending on Roman's plan on defense or Zimmer's plan on offense.

Otherwise, mike Zimmerman would be a person to look at.

Beyond those guys, I am not sure... I wouldn't hate Lovie Smith, but I share concerns with others about the consistently mediocre offenses he has had.
You have all of these huge concerns about these proven head coaches, but have never wanted Kubiak gone. Even now you still want him and refuse to concede that he was never who you thought he could be. Truly amazing. Hell, Joe Texan could coach this team better at this point.
Old 11-25-2013   #348
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

My biggest fear has been mentioned in this thread already.

Kubiak is let go before the end of the season, and Wade steps in as interim coach, winning enough games that Bob makes him the permanent HC going into 2014.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 11-25-2013   #349
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I want some spit!

I want a tough as nails defense and a run down your throat offense!

Give me yelling and spitting and making faces and spitting!
Old 11-25-2013   #350
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You have all of these huge concerns about these proven head coaches, but have never wanted Kubiak gone. Even now you still want him and refuse to concede that he was never who you thought he could be. Truly amazing. Hell, Joe Texan could coach this team better at this point.
I think change is messy. I agree that Kubiak needs to be replaced. However, I strongly disagree that the change, in itself, will improve things. Things can always get worse. Since a change is going to happen, I care very much that it is a wise one. So should you. You are so blinded by your frustration with this team that you don't realize the organization can move in a worse direction. Well, history dictates that it can. So, yeah, I am concerned about who the new hire will be, particularly since we have some talented pieces in place (unlike 2005)and some resources (cap room, extra picks) to have significant success in the short term if we get the right people in place... Much like San Fran a couple years ago, I think.
Old 11-25-2013   #351
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think these numbers deserved their own thread, and kind of belongs in this thread for discussion purposes, if anyone cares.

I've often thought that rating a defense or offense on the yards they've gained or given up is pointless. What will win or lose a game is points on the scoreboard, not yards. So below is a history of how the Texans were ranked in offensive scoring and defensive scoring allowed since 2002. Make of the numbers what you will.

Scoring - Offense
2002 32
2003 28
2004 21
2005 26
2006 28
2007 12
2008 17
2009 10
2010 9
2011 13
2012 8
2013 30

Defense Scoring allowed
2002 20
2003 27
2004 15
2005 32
2006 25
2007 22
2008 27
2009 17
2010 30
2011 4
2012 9
2013 26

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 11-25-2013   #352
SportsArsenal
waterboy

Hey All, been here lurking for a couple of years and never set up a username until recently. I seen this on BleacherReport, regarding Sumlin and The Texans, so I thought I would post it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ton-texans-nfl

In the article there is a tweet from Jason La Canfora:

Quote:
"Along the college coaching lines, there has been plenty of chatter about Coach Sumlin as a potential fit with the Texans ...
Sumlin would definitely be my choice for HC, but I would like to see them hire a strong OC to go with him.

The funny thing is if Sumlin is the choice, does that put Gary in College Station?

I would like to add that Rick Smith needs to leave as badly as Kubiak, that may be the reason that Kubiak isn't gone yet. Maybe Bob McNair wants to make Rick fire Gary since they seem to be associates in this crime.
Extending Schaub, Kubiak, and not replacing Marciano were only a few of Smiths many blunders.

Draft Failures:
Kareem Jackson
Amobi Okoye
Whitney Merciless
Sam Montgomery
Trevardo Williams
Derek Newton
Antwaun Moulden
Earl Mitchell
Sherrick McMannis
Brooks Reed
Brandon Harris
Rock Carmichael
Derek Newton
Brandon Brooks
Ben Jones

Free Agent Signings/Departure Failures
Ed Reed- Signing
Greg Jones-Signing

The Texans have only had a few significant FA signings (Joseph,Manning, Reed) Reed has been the only major failure but the fact that they lack significant free agent signings is an issue in its own. They also fail to make trades of any significance. They fail to move talent before they lose it, a la Ben Tate. They also fail to bring in players that may just need a change of scenery. They lack an eye for talent in general.

Free agent departures are sometimes a necessary evil in order to maintain a safe cap or to bring in free agent talent. Being that we rarely bring in free agent talent, our departures are typically just cap casualties. The front office must be more efficient with their spending in order to retain high quality football players.
Key areas we lack in like S, OL, LB, have all slipped through our grasp.

Glover Quin- Departure
Joel Dreesen- Departure
Eric Winston- Departure
Mike Brisiel- Departure
Vonta Leach- Departure
Demeco Ryans-Departure
Bernard Pollard-Departure

I often wonder when you see some of the waiver wire pickups, why the Texans aren't making these additions. This team has never had a lock down secondary yet these players are constantly being made available due to crowding in a secondary. How can so many teams have problems with too much talent when the Texans can never put two solid corners on the field at the same time. Instead guys like McCain, Harris, Carmichael are given chance after chance to blow a game.

As far as firing Gary now, there really is no point. You're not going to send a message to the players and other coaches. You will be acknowledging publicly that you are mailing it in for the rest of the season thus jeopardizing the "sell out" streak. As far as the other coaches go, they know that at this point there is no salvaging this season nor changing there reputation from whatever it currently has been tarnished to. It is likely that who ever the new coach is will bring in there replacements thus putting the current regime on cruise control.
Old 11-25-2013   #353
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsArsenal View Post
Hey All, been here lurking for a couple of years and never set up a username until recently. I seen this on BleacherReport, regarding Sumlin and The Texans, so I thought I would post it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ton-texans-nfl

In the article there is a tweet from Jason La Canfora:

Sumlin would definitely be my choice for HC, but I would like to see them hire a strong OC to go with him.

The funny thing is if Sumlin is the choice, does that put Gary in College Station?

I would like to add that Rick Smith needs to leave as badly as Kubiak, that may be the reason that Kubiak isn't gone yet. Maybe Bob McNair wants to make Rick fire Gary since they seem to be associates in this crime.
Extending Schaub, Kubiak, and not replacing Marciano were only a few of Smiths many blunders.

Draft Failures:
Kareem Jackson
Amobi Okoye
Whitney Merciless
Sam Montgomery
Trevardo Williams
Derek Newton
Antwaun Moulden
Earl Mitchell
Sherrick McMannis
Brooks Reed
Brandon Harris
Rock Carmichael
Derek Newton
Brandon Brooks
Ben Jones

Free Agent Signings/Departure Failures
Ed Reed- Signing
Greg Jones-Signing

The Texans have only had a few significant FA signings (Joseph,Manning, Reed) Reed has been the only major failure but the fact that they lack significant free agent signings is an issue in its own. They also fail to make trades of any significance. They fail to move talent before they lose it, a la Ben Tate. They also fail to bring in players that may just need a change of scenery. They lack an eye for talent in general.

Free agent departures are sometimes a necessary evil in order to maintain a safe cap or to bring in free agent talent. Being that we rarely bring in free agent talent, our departures are typically just cap casualties. The front office must be more efficient with their spending in order to retain high quality football players.
Key areas we lack in like S, OL, LB, have all slipped through our grasp.

Glover Quin- Departure
Joel Dreesen- Departure
Eric Winston- Departure
Mike Brisiel- Departure
Vonta Leach- Departure
Demeco Ryans-Departure
Bernard Pollard-Departure

I often wonder when you see some of the waiver wire pickups, why the Texans aren't making these additions. This team has never had a lock down secondary yet these players are constantly being made available due to crowding in a secondary. How can so many teams have problems with too much talent when the Texans can never put two solid corners on the field at the same time. Instead guys like McCain, Harris, Carmichael are given chance after chance to blow a game.

As far as firing Gary now, there really is no point. You're not going to send a message to the players and other coaches. You will be acknowledging publicly that you are mailing it in for the rest of the season thus jeopardizing the "sell out" streak. As far as the other coaches go, they know that at this point there is no salvaging this season nor changing there reputation from whatever it currently has been tarnished to. It is likely that who ever the new coach is will bring in there replacements thus putting the current regime on cruise control.
Given the fact that the team has never been to an afc championship game, it is currently 2-9, and smith has been here for 7years, you could certainly make a strong case for smiths removal. However, if one applied your standard above to very nfl gm, all 32 would be unemployed at season'a end.

Calling the following draft failures is insane:
K Jackson
Mercilus
Emitchell
BBrooks
Bjones

Newton- he was a 7th round pick that started at RT for two years, including for a 12-4 team. I don't like him either but that is a good pick.

Same with the list of players let go... All teams let quality plays go. Regarding letting talent leave, the Demeco trade was very smart, and, other than Quin, that is a list of overpaid players... The issue I have with smith is why haven't those vacated holes been filled.
Old 11-25-2013   #354
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the idea that a GM is a failure for not having Pro Bowl talent at every position is a little ridiculous. I'll take a few lumps and have a hit in the 1st round every time.
Old 11-25-2013   #355
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Do you really want an interim coach to cloud McNair's judgment?..
What's the difference?

McNair judgment - as it relates to football - has been clouded for a long time.

At times I think he's just a younger version of Bud Adams...pretty clueless.
Old 11-26-2013   #356
Lucky

Rep Power: 103323 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
So you think that Gruden or Cowher would have a more difficult time getting top assistants to work under them than a Greg Roman? 8 Cowher assistants have gone on to become NFL head coaches. 5 of Gruden's assistants became NFL head coaches. You don't think coaches are aware of this and would want to work under them?

Greg Roman??? He's on the hot seat in San Fran as the OC. THe Niners offense was ranked 29th heading into the MNF game. The guy has zero credentials to become a NFL head coach. In fact, he's never been a head coach at any level.
Old 11-26-2013   #357
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I want some spit!

I want a tough as nails defense and a run down your throat offense!

Give me yelling and spitting and making faces and spitting!
You want to take the team to 1976?

Do they have the technology?
Old 11-26-2013   #358
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
You want to take the team to 1976?

Do they have the technology?
Ok, and a quarterback!

That spits!
Old 11-26-2013   #359
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

You notice the shannys are crapping the bed too even with a good qb in rg3. The system is old, slow and outdated. You can put lipstick on a pig (like they did last season) but at the end of the day, its just a hunk of pork. Bottom line, the system they run is outdated, pack it up and send them on their way, no qb will make them look good anymore. The NFL has passed them by.
Old 11-26-2013   #360
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
You notice the shannys are crapping the bed too even with a good qb in rg3. The system is old, slow and outdated. You can put lipstick on a pig (like they did last season) but at the end of the day, its just a hunk of pork. Bottom line, the system they run is outdated, pack it up and send them on their way, no qb will make them look good anymore. The NFL has passed them by.
They said that the Skins had the lightest OL in the league and it showed . The 9ers LBs were killing the redskins mainly because the skins couldn't get to the 2nd level .

The Redskins are #2 in the NFL in rushing but #19 in scoring . That sounds kinda familiar .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read