Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013   #321
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

What is Rick doing now? This team is not good except in a few areas. Even a blind hog finds an acorn. What I am saying is Watt is the exception not the rule when it comes to draft choices made by the Texans.

Extension of Schaub.

Signing of Ed Reed.

Not trading Tate. Losing another player to FA and getting nothing.

Cap Hell.

Evaluation of talent. Poor team speed. Can't teach speed.

Extension of Kubiak.

All huge mistakes.

I want to see on shoes. "Bye Rick"

Need to replace starting at top.
Old 11-24-2013   #322
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Here was Gary Kubiak's press conference after today's loss to the Jaguars.

http://youtu.be/r3qn2DTir2k

I feel bad for the guy. He gave it all he had since 2006 with this franchise. Working long and hard hours just to produce a championship team. It led to his mini stroke and now he's probably coaching his last season in Houston in 2013.

Hopefully the new head coach who comes in has as much class as Kubiak did but with some winning results. I'd like to see the Houston Texans win the Super Bowl one day.
Yep
Old 11-24-2013   #323
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Here was Gary Kubiak's press conference after today's loss to the Jaguars.

http://youtu.be/r3qn2DTir2k

I feel bad for the guy. He gave it all he had since 2006 with this franchise. Working long and hard hours just to produce a championship team. It led to his mini stroke and now he's probably coaching his last season in Houston in 2013.

Hopefully the new head coach who comes in has as much class as Kubiak did but with some winning results. I'd like to see the Houston Texans win the Super Bowl one day.
I will consign this. It is hard to hate the man. I really wanted him to succeed here. I really did. It's just not working out. It pains me to see him go out and answer the same questions every week. There has to be an honorable way for him to take a medical leave or something for the rest of the season. For those wanting him fired in an embarrassing manner, just ask yourself if that is the way you want to go out. You can fire people without embarrassing them.
Old 11-24-2013   #324
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all of us wanted Kubiak to succeed. He succeeds our team succeeds.

I think this season was beyond the worst thing we could have imagined. Things need to change and I think Kubiak knows that. I wish him well, but I think he has a lot to learn as a head coach and has to learn how to give up some control to other members of his coaching staff.
Old 11-24-2013   #325
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Kubiak isn't going to be fired mid-season. There's really no point to do it. You can't hire your next guy until after the season anyway so why go through the process of having an interim guy mucking things up. You guys are just looking for instant gratification, which I get, but he will be fired in the long run and that's all that matters.
On the contrary, there's no point in dragging this out. Give Kubiak a chance to lineup another job, be it an NFL OC or a college HC, without further embarrassment of this season. And it lets the Texans court potential coaches more freely. Everything's on the table. The time is now for McNair to remove Kubiak.
Old 11-24-2013   #326
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, it makes sense to go ahead and remove Gary....unless his mind isn't made up. If it is, then it makes little sense to delay it. Would be beneficial for all involved.
Old 11-24-2013   #327
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
On the contrary, there's no point in dragging this out. Give Kubiak a chance to lineup another job, be it an NFL OC or a college HC, without further embarrassment of this season. And it lets the Texans court potential coaches more freely. Everything's on the table. The time is now for McNair to remove Kubiak.
i'm not sure that gary is a professional caliber OC. i think he gets a gig as a QB coach. also, he's not a big time college hc. he can be a college oc/qb coach though.

the game has passed him by. plain & simple.
Old 11-25-2013   #328
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Here's a good writeup of potential coaches for hte NFL:
linky

For the record I really don't think Sumlin will be a good head coach in the NFL.
I have to say, Sumlin is still my choice for HC (if only because the offense would not have to change immensely and because it makes sense considering his ties to Houston/Rick Smith), but ever since Ray Horton was brought up he's become my backup dream pick.

He has a track record of success as a secondary coach and defensive coordinator; that Cardinals defense was downright scary last year before the offense collapsed into a slagheap, and he has successfully transmuted a very good 4-3 defense in Cleveland into a very good 3-4 defense. He helped develop Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden is having a great year in Cleveland. As we already run a 3-4, we wouldn't have to worry about finding a defensive tackle to pair with Earl Mitchell.

Having him as HC and drafting Clowney at #1/2 overall could just be downright filthy. Plus, we'd have a coach with cornrows! Can't argue with that.
Old 11-25-2013   #329
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
i'm not sure that gary is a professional caliber OC. i think he gets a gig as a QB coach. also, he's not a big time college hc. he can be a college oc/qb coach though.
Who knows what offers he gets. He has another year left on his contract, so he really doesn't have to coach in 2014.
Old 11-25-2013   #330
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Kubiak won't be fired mid season. There's nothing to gain, and he has a good relationship with the FO.
While I agree that he most likely won't be fired mid-season, I disagree that there's nothing to gain. Firing Kubiak now sends a message to the coaching staff and puts them on notice that a pathetic coaching effort won't cut it any more, it tells players that if the head coach is gone changes are no the horizon and they can easily be gone as well and putting out a half ass effort will earn you your walking papers. It tells the fans that you care about this team, are willing to make changes, and that ownership isn't just sitting back rolling in apathy.
Old 11-25-2013   #331
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are my picks that were cut out of the first page of this thread when it was moved and then started again and then closed because someone didn't like the discussion about replacing Kubiak. Post 2133 from that thread by Amazing was the original first post so whatever is after that should be in this thread

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...94#post2247194

Lovie Smith CURRENTLY: Unemployed (fired by Chicago after 2012).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Led Bears to Super Bowl XLI.

81-63 record with Bears in nine seasons (four seasons Top 5 in defense).

Only finished worse than 7-9 once in nine seasons.

Smith is choosing to go off the grid for 2013, rather than be a coordinator somewhere. He knows his phone will be ringing around New Year's with at least a couple head coaching offers. May as well enjoy a year's vacation.

Ray Horton CURRENTLY: Defensive coordinator, Cleveland (hired 2013).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Coached a Cardinals' defense that had 80 sacks and 32 interceptions over past two seasons.

Seventeen years of coaching secondaries, including three Super Bowl years in Pittsburgh (and three years with least points allowed).

Horton's calls for aggression and disruption were a lone highlight of Arizona's 2012 season.

A former NFL cornerback of ten years, Horton appreciates versatility in players (blitzing secondary, linemen covering the flat, etc), and has mentored some of the best.

These 2 need no introduction around these boards

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I didn't list college coaches but there are some potential good ones out there. It is always a crap shoot when you hire one though that has never coached in the nfl.

My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protégé
Old 11-25-2013   #332
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm almost positive the Texans are going to hire the East Texas native Lovie Smith. He is probably the best coach out there (one who hasn't been out of the game long). That's who I'm putting my money on. You had players crying for this guy in Chicago when he got fired.
Old 11-25-2013   #333
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I'm almost positive the Texans are going to hire the East Texas native Lovie Smith. He is probably the best coach out there (one who hasn't been out of the game long). That's who I'm putting my money on. You had players crying for this guy in Chicago when he got fired.
I've never seen good quarterback development under Lovie Smith.
Old 11-25-2013   #334
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I've never seen good quarterback development under Lovie Smith.
To be fair there hasn't been a decent QB in Chicago before Cutler since McMahon.
Old 11-25-2013   #335
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Another player's coach? No thanks. The team needs R. Lee Ermy. There won't be any letterman jackets with him.
Old 11-25-2013   #336
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Here are my picks that were cut out of the first page of this thread when it was moved and then started again and then closed because someone didn't like the discussion about replacing Kubiak.
The prior thread was closed because some people were having trouble accessing it. The same discussion is ongoing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
To be fair there hasn't been a decent QB in Chicago before Cutler since McMahon.
Isn't that at least partially on him?
Old 11-25-2013   #337
Borowicz50
Kingsville, TX

Rep Power: 0 Borowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respectedBorowicz50 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Coach Debate

Looking how this season has gone it has obviously been a terrible experience for everyone involved. Players, coaches, fans & ownership all believed that this season was going to be a Super Bowl run & with the past two years results that was easily foreseeable. What has happened truly cannot be explained, best put it has been an anomaly of bad occurrences meshed with the glaring weaknesses of the team being brought to light in what has culminated in the Texans currently being the worst team in the NFL.

The subject of a coaching change is a big one…I like Kubiak & I wanted it to work for him but heads have to role & unfortunately his is probably going to be the first. First off I would like to thank him for giving us a playoff team for those two years & for getting this team into a form of a winning franchise. With that said it is time to move on.

I want to also put out there that the popular names of Cower & Gruden should not come up in the conversation for the following reasons.

Jon Gruden:
His record with the Raiders was a total 38-26 with two playoff showings in 4 years.
His record in Tampa Bay was 57-55 in 7 years with 3 playoff appearances & one Super Bowl win.
Total record 5 playoff experiences in 11 years with one Super Bowl & a record of 95-81.

My knock on him is that he is the same guy as Kubiak considering he is a middle of the road winner who just happened to inherit a championship team from Tony Dungy that he won a Super Bowl with & then the team declined each of the following years. He has great football knowledge but has been out to long & wasn’t a world beater while he was coaching.

Bill Cowher:
149-90 all with the Steelers.
He is a proven winner with a long period of time but was given just that a long period of time to win. He had 4 losing seasons along with 1 8-8 season while having 9 playoff appearances & 2 Super Bowl appearances with 1 win in a career of 15 seasons. He is 56 years old which means he is right on that cusp of becoming an old man but is not there yet. He is a proven winner but he must be given the time to do it which is why it worked for him in Pittsburgh. Another thing to note is his success may be more of a reflection of the organization than of Cowher himself as both his predecessor Chuck Noll & Mike Tomlin both had similar success within the organization both which were patient with coaches even through bad seasons. Also consider this in 22 seasons Chuck Noll provided 11 winning seasons with 4 Super Bowl wins but he also had 11 losing seasons in which the team averaged 6 wins.

My knock on Cowher is more a knock on the Houston fan base & the organization because if he provided a few playoff appearances but then gave us some losing seasons he would be run out of town. Kubiak gave us two playoff appearances & 3 losing seasons & he is basically being lynched. Therefore I am not sure if Cowher would even want to be part of an organization that demands winning now as opposed to building over time with a few bumps in the road being seen as ok.

So what does this all mean?

Either we have to find a coach who can literally win now within 1-3 years or we as an organization have to be more like the Steelers (this would include fan base perception also) & roll with the punches enjoying good seasons but not calling for heads in seasons where things go bad.

Should be interesting regardless but a change is probably coming so who do you think we should be looking at?
Old 11-25-2013   #338
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Coach Debate

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102936
Old 11-25-2013   #339
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Coach Debate

Lovie smith doesn't do it for me.
Old 11-25-2013   #340
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we have a new head coach yet? Heck, what about an interim head coach?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read